Forum › If I Can Encounter Koshiba Aoi Today discussion

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

THAT'S completely bs omfg.

Thank you so much for your succinct write up... you saved me the heartbreak and time on reading this. Completely understand how to some this is bittersweet, but this seems much more bitter than sweet.

A quick edit
My disappointment is independent of this being realistic though. Being sentimental and holding onto wistful memories of your childhood crush after growing up and changing happens. Just wish it didn't happen in a 4 volume yuri work.

last edited at Oct 4, 2022 9:51PM

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

The ending is disappointing, yes.

In volume 4, Aoi becomes impatient about not being able to spend time with Sahoko due to her other friends, so she confesses to Sahoko with a kiss. Sahoko is overjoyed, believing they've become a couple.
When Sahoko goes to Anna's house alone to ask Anna about dating advice (not knowing about Anna's feelings for her), Anna tries to forcibly kiss Sahoko with the excuse that such physical contact is what "romance between girls really means". Sahoko is repulsed by Anna's touch and pushes her away -- Anna plays off her actions as a joke, but Sahoko is shaken, questioning if her feelings for Aoi are really physical/romantic love
Aoi continues to try to escalate her physical connection with Sahoko out of jealousy towards her other friends. Sahoko initially tries to suppress her discomfort, but has an outburst and finally refuses Aoi as well. Sahoko concludes that her feelings towards Aoi are not romantic, which then leads to Aoi breaking off their relationship, because Aoi can't bear just being friends. This sets up the lack of contact between them for the rest of/after highschool, leading to the class reunion scene which gradually progressed throughout the story.
In the "present" time years in the future, during the class reunion, Sahoko is trying to get ahold of Aoi because she wants to "confirm her feelings". Despite their separation, Sahoko has been thinking of Aoi this whole time.
Aoi initially refuses to contact Sahoko until she hears that Sahoko will soon be leaving on a student exchange program to America. She has also been thinking about Sahoko all this time, so she rushes to meet Sahoko.
Sahoko reveals that her exchange program is only for a month, so it's not a permanent separation. However, when Aoi then tries to take off, Sahoko invites Aoi to a love hotel.
Sahoko and Aoi have sex in order to "confirm their feelings". Sahoko is depicted as enjoying it, finding it deeply emotionally fulfilling.
However, in the morning, Sahoko wakes up to find Aoi gone, with just a note left behind. In the note, Aoi admits that she was mistaken in forcing Sahoko to choose between love and friendship/admiration. After so many years had passed, she could no longer find meaning in waiting to hear Sahoko's decision on her feelings. Rather, she was simply glad for having met her and grateful that Sahoko tried seriously facing Aoi's feelings.
The note concludes with "Be well; thank you for everything" so Sahoko runs out of the hotel and yells the same words into the sky as well.
Afterwards, the story fastforwards to Sahoko's last year of university where she's shown voicecalling with Anna. Sahoko and Aoi are implied to still be always thinking of each other but never to actually meet. In particular, back during the class reunion Sahoko had already been shown as having cut her hair short like Aoi's in highschool, while Aoi had grown hers out like Sahoko's.
The "message" is that, although the emotion Aoi and Sahoko felt for each other was both admiration and love, in the end admiration won out, so that -- with Aoi and Sahoko having become different people during their separation -- their distance is "necessary" for them to continue holding on to the connection they had in highschool.

Does this not have extra chapter or something? I'm hoping the ending can't just be like that. Damn.

joined Jun 21, 2021

it really did have a super bad ending, which is really sad. I coudnt even understand the ending unitl i came here and read the spoiler summary to get a cearer idea of the "message"

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

That fourth volume is a painful and awkward read.
I agree with @Sol Falling and the synopsis they gave.
The one thing I wonder is:
Could the author have been trying to tell the story of a MC that is capable of a semi-romantic relationship while not realizing she's ace?
For three volumes Sahoko has been pursuing Aoi, and fairly successfully so, and is even delighted when she finds out it is mutual. Sahoko is attracted to her, and even enjoys some light physical intimacy with her.
It's only when Anna tries to force herself onto Sahoko that she becomes, for lack of a better word, "triggered" by physical intimacy.
That line "It's not romantic", I wonder if we are taking it too literally. What Aoi might be saying is that Sahoko can't have a physical relationship with her (in addition to a romantic one).
Anyway, just a thought.

The art by Fly is just wonderful, so too bad about not sticking the ending.

To reply you must either login or sign up.