Forum › Posts by Koveras

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

All Hail Empress Her Majesty officially ended in u17.com

i shall make no spoiler

But it has more chapters than the 68 translated to English so far, right?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

why is it turning like Citrus

what
You mean, how repetitive it is or...?

I mean yuri being shown as intial focus of the story but later turned into something else.

This manga's narrative theme is "living in denial", so Shinozaki's struggle with her otaku tendencies and her attraction to another girl are just two faces of the same coin. I know some readers here have one-track minds only interested in yuri romance, but others, including yours truly, quite enjoy non-standard narratives likes this. :-)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Koveras posted:

There was that diary thing by Nagata Kabi someone mentioned in this thread earlier... What is it, exactly?

it's something of an ongoing continuation of this book, quite literally diary entries about stuff in her life in manga form.

here: https://comic.pixiv.net/works/2308

Do you know if anyone intends to translate them?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The cosplayer guys were surprisingly chill. ^^

Koveras
Yuri Danshi discussion 17 Oct 08:46
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

At risk of being misunderstood, she does have a point that being interested in seeing the female perspective as a guy (not limited to the highly fictionalized perspective presented in most yuri mangas) does make it harder to "get women" - if only because you end up seeing a woman you like as a sentient being with her own life and goals, which considerably impedes your efforts to "get" her. Not being mindful of such trivialities does make dating so much easier (on the guy, at least).

That's odd. I usually have more success in pursuing romantic and sexual interactions with women when I treat them as, you know, human beings.

Guess I'm doing something wrong.

Maybe you just don't keep falling for women who are not interested in relationships in the first place. :D Anyhow, back on topic...

i red the raw, this manga is completely trash later on, someone tell the trans team don't bother translating this crap anymore

Can you elaborate? Does the stalking get even creepier than in the current chapter?

last edited at Oct 17, 2016 8:48AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Sadly, no matter how often Inugami hugs Nekoyama, she won't be able to help her recover faster.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

There was that diary thing by Nagata Kabi someone mentioned in this thread earlier... What is it, exactly?

Koveras
Yuri Danshi discussion 17 Oct 04:31
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

And to put the icing on the cake Morishima Akiko has this "Guys who like Yuri will have trouble with woman" POV

Actually that depends upon appearance and confident. If a guy is confident and good looking, he will get women regardless of his personal preferences.

She's making fun of the stereotype that people who enjoy reading manga have poor social skills, not that enjoying a particular genre somehow makes you sexually repellent.

At risk of being misunderstood, she does have a point that being interested in seeing the female perspective as a guy (not limited to the highly fictionalized perspective presented in most yuri mangas) does make it harder to "get women" - if only because you end up seeing a woman you like as a sentient being with her own life and goals, which considerably impedes your efforts to "get" her. Not being mindful of such trivialities does make dating so much easier (on the guy, at least).

last edited at Oct 17, 2016 4:32AM

Koveras
Yuri Danshi discussion 16 Oct 17:07
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yeah, there absolutely has to be a yuri tag on this. If your argument is that there's no yuri in it, I would point you to the pictures of girls kissing and holding hands that are contained in every chapter.

So subtext maybe then? Maybe there should be a new "yuri delusion" tag or "imaginery yuri" added specially for such kind of series, yeah that sounds good, at least there should be a warning for cross-dressing content and with that "het" making out content in chapter 3.

Meta-yuri? Though this is technically doubly-meta, because it's not a story about relationships between girls, but a satire of a certain type of fans of fictional depictions of relationships between girls.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Also, you should really stop making it seem like Americans are somehow ALL into getting smothered with hugs. Just because it's not a weird thing to display affection in public in the USA it doesn't mean everyone likes to be filled with hugs out of nowhere the entire time.

In my research earlier, I encountered several sources claiming that US is, on average, actually one of the more touch-averse nations out there, but I didn't found any reputable surveys to back that up, so I didn't link any here.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 3:52PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

You may note, however, that hugging was step 3 on my list. There were two more there, listed in a very specific order. :-)

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 12:27PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So the recent discussion about hugs has made me research the physiological benefits of hugging, and most of the studies I found (e.g. this and this) link them to the production of oxytocin, which has normalizing effects on blood pressure and heart rate. A newer study found a correlation between hugging and stronger immune system response to certain infections, but the mechanism is not clear yet.

Perhaps more relevantly to the topic, another series of studies showed that supportive touch in general (not specifically hugging, so this is just as an addendum) helped people with low self-esteem avoid automatic negative thoughts.

last edited at Oct 16, 2016 10:52AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

It is so sad hearing not everyone likes to be hugged.

What you said. :-(

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Hugging her is the last thing to do.

It just makes her utterly uncomfortable.

Step 1: Become friends with Nagata Kabi.
Step 2: Earn her trust with your words and actions.
Step 3: Hug Nagata Kabi and tell her it's OK.
You have now made the world a much better place.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I was surprised that she was able to be decisive about some things regarding the experience (which hotel, which type of room). I kinda expected her to be too nervous and overwhelmed and just defer everything to the pro. But then that lead to another surprise that she was unable to tell the woman what she was really looking for out of the experience. She went on extensively in previous chapters about how all she really wanted (at least for now) is an older woman to hug and hold her.

Maybe she left out some of her rationalization that changed her mind, or maybe she was mentally pushing herself to "get the most out of the experience" if she really never thought she'd do it again. But I can't help but think she would have enjoyed it more if she had clearly said she was afraid of that level of intimacy and only wanted to be held for that session.

That's how social anxiety works, unfortunately: your brain shuts off and you go flying blind. Sometimes you make good choices, sometimes you fail to remember most important things.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I vaguely recall arguing that this manga is not as depressing as it's made out to be... I take it back. :D To be fair, this was an entirely realistic and predictable development -- social anxiety is not something that can be magically overcome in an hour. I am a bit troubled by the Major League metaphor, though: it makes sex look like the ultimate social interaction (when it can easily be argued that it's not) and inability to enjoy it, like a personal failure born of hubris.

That is an entirely false perspective, however. The narrator simply realized that a thing she thought she wanted out of life is not what she thought it was. It is a normal learning experience, not a failure of any sort. You just reevaluate your life in light of the new discovery and set your sights on your next big goal - even if it ends up being wrong again, you'll probably make your life a little better in the process of getting there.

last edited at Oct 14, 2016 6:01PM

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I like the idea of a shounen yuri manga.

Me too. I guess the overlap between the fans of shounen and yuri is too small though which is sad. I want my girl's love punctuated by high action heroics. Thinking of AnR right now.

Well, there is always Claymore

last edited at Oct 13, 2016 9:55AM

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I dunno, as a nerd myself, I found this chapter trying too hard with the nerdy dialogue (still cute, though). I guess I've been insinuated to confuse people with computers way too often by people ignorant of what I do. For one thing, computers are much more comprehensible than real people. And they never judge me. >__>

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

yukito posted:

Guro needs to take a lesson from Gease Howard AND DIE FOREVER

You do realize that if you have a problem with it nobody is forcing you to read it, right?

You do realize that for some people, it's about pushing their beliefs onto others rather than living their own lives according to them?

Koveras
Kase-san discussion 09 Oct 15:20
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Inoue behaves kind of like Undyne from Undertale.

What have you done. Now I cannot read her interactions with Yamada without hearing "Spear of Justice" in my head. :-(

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

^ Pretty much this. As anyone who had to go through it can attest, the death of a loved one does feel like being physically disemboweled, so at least that visual metaphor is on the spot. Not sure what the whole rape part was about, except maybe that the two actually had sex but because of Sae's condition, neither actually (physically) enjoyed it.

last edited at Oct 9, 2016 9:31AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Ruequi posted:

This is totally Nanoha and Fate. Lel. Made my day. Haa.

Now I can't see it any other way!

Indeed... Cannot be unseen. Darn it.

Makes sense that Nanoha would know a thing or two about cakes, with her family background. >__>

Koveras
Beloved L discussion 09 Oct 03:23
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

She is a human too, just because she is a doctor doesn't mean she will behave like a saint with infinite wisdom...

Besides, she is an ophthalmologist, not a psychiatrist specialized in treating self-harming teens.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Amnesia tag has been created, after all. The consensus is that is to be used for works where loss of memory forms part of the core premise (which covers all of the current examples, anyway).

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Michan posted:

Joke tags are essential to ensure the site functions properly.

My Hand Holding tag was rejected though.

Hand holding is not to be joked with. it's srs bsns.

We already have the NSFW tag for such lewdness.