Forum › Posts by Minalinsky

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

To be fair, it's not about bisexuals being cheaters, it's about the thrill of cheating itself + and picking the other female main character over a guy, usually.
Maybe there are some, but I don't really recall her doing "cheating lesbians", but I'd say that the reason for that isn't because she thinks or wants to portray bisexuals as morally depraved. It's probs because she fetishises the sort of cheating that's "feelsgood". As in, most readers would probs feel bad if the character was cheating on a girlfriend/wife tbh. Generally, to make readers root for cheating/not feel too morally uncomfortable with it, the partner that's cheated on must be someone they disapprove of. They may be abusive, they may be a cheater themself, they may be negligent, etc. Something is put into place to justify why "cheating is okay and although it feels wrong, it feels good and it's okay in this case". In yuri manga though, often just having the partner being male is enough for those who have a bias/much prefer women to disregard relationship morality as a factor of that equation.
That's simply what she likes to write. Rather than a jab at bisexuals, I feel like it makes sense, for what she wants to write, for her characters to end up being bi.
She likes bad girls, she likes dysfunctional relationships, she prefers having guys being the one cheated on.

In the end, it's her cup of tea and you can read whatever you want despite knowing that you dislike the author's tastes, but it doesn't make her "objectively" bad or anything if your main criticism is basically that you personally don't like what she likes to write. There's obviously an audience for her work. To be upset when you're not part of that audience is kinda weird imo.

It's true. I didn't feel a lick of pity for either guy in Netsuzou.

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I liked it.

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

The worst was probably those guys at the pool. They're the usual really pushy guys who just haunt every pool, beach, and downtown shopping district in every romance manga, But when they switch tactics from trying to pick up Fujishiro to insulting Kurokawa, she completely flips her shit. They're random strangers who were just harassing you, why do you even care what they're saying? You were just yelling at them to leave you alone seconds before, and now their negative opinions are some kind of existential threat? You need to prove them wrong by tearing off Kurokawa's glasses and showing off her face?

Nanaki feels compelled to prove them wrong because of how Kurokawa is.
Kurokawa has been saddled with feelings of worthlessness all her life, and telling her to ignore the people putting her down isn't going to change that. It's Kurokawa's feelings that concern Nanaki more than anything.
Remember it was Kurokawa's tears that made Nanaki hit the teacher, not the insult itself.

The only thing the characters care about is looking cute, and the only attacks they're vulnerable to are being criticized for not being cute—everything else they just shrug off. They don't need friends as long as they can look cute.

It's not that they don't need friends, them losing their friends was a show of why their friends weren't good friends - although for different reasons - and those reasons reflect their own flaws, which is why they needed to cut those friends off. They obviously need friends because the entire manga started off Kurokawa showing genuine empathy to Nanaki, something she likely experienced rarely at best knowing the circle she choose to associate with.

last edited at Dec 20, 2018 2:59PM

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

And while Homura did legitimately love Madoka, her constant resets and loops were because of what she wanted for Madoka. At least, it eventually got there.

My problem with this line of reasoning is that for Homura, her actions have always been dictated by what Madoka directly requests from her. She tries to save Madoka because Madoka didn't want to die. She starts controlling Madoka and not allowing Madoka to make decisions for herself because Madoka requests that Homura stop her self-proclaimed stupidity from allowing Kyubey to trick her. She upholds and protects Madoka's new world, willing to face a fate worse than death because that's what Madoka wanted. Even her betrayal - in her mind - is what Madoka wanted, because according to Madoka's own words during her amnesiac state, she'd never want to leave her friends and family behind because it would make her incredibly sad.

After all, Homura gains nothing from the betrayal. She had the opportunity to ascend to the afterlife and spend the rest of eternity with Madoka. But she rejected it, because the amnesiac Madoka said she would never want to leave her ordinary and happy life, spurring Homura to believe that Madoka's sacrifice was merely out of necessity rather than her true desire. So she rejects the Law of Cycles, taking on the mantle of Madoka's enemy, and constructs a fake world where for as long as the barrier holds, Madoka can live peacefully and normally, cut off from all the things that might link her back to the world of magical girls and incubators.

Misguided and obsessed, perhaps. But selfish is hardly what I'd call it. The true dichotomy between the two is not selflessness and selfishness, but the difference between one who'd try to love and save everyone in the world even if it would make the people they love sad, and one who'd sacrifice everyone - including themselves - in the world because they love one person.

Every wish made in the show, with the exception of Madokas final wish, was a selfish one. That was the point that Kyubey kept trying to hammer in, and why he was so shocked when Madoka broke his "rules".

I also strongly disagree with this. First of all, Kyubey doesn't and wouldn't care for applying such a moralistic rule or having such a thing broken. What shocked Kyubey is that Madoka's wish is itself a paradox that requires the entire universe to be restructured

Remember that in the series, wishes and curses counterbalance each other. A great wish must be balanced out by a correspondingly great curse. Madoka's wish was born out of the combined weight of the negative karma built up through the hundreds of loops Homura's gone through trying to save her. That amount of negative karma should be enough to create the greatest witch that would destroy the planet, and it does in most of the loops. But Madoka's wish defies that - the negative karma accumulated by Homura is miraculously converted into positive karma by Madoka. It's more or less deus ex machina, though I don't mean that in a bad way, since it's intentionally supposed to be a reality-defying miracle, hence Kyubey's shock. "Are you trying to become a god?" he asks, because attempting to rewrite the rules of the universe is more or less what that entails, with Madoka destroying her own witch the moment it's born, something that shouldn't even be physically possible.

This makes much more sense than him being shocked that Madoka wasn't selfish, given the cold and rational nature of his species. He wouldn't care if a wish was self-serving or not, even differentiating between a selfish and selfless wish would be petty nonsense to his race. I believe there is a narrative about selfish and selfless wishes, but it's strictly limited to Kyouko and Sayaka's story. After all, I think it'd be excessively harsh to frame the phrase "I don't want to die" from the addled mind of a little girl bleeding out to death under a car as selfish, it's probable she wasn't even sure what was happening because it was a little alien cat thing that was asking her what she wanted. Meanwhile, Kyouko and Sayaka's wishes were explicitly laid out to have ulterior motives to them; Sayaka wanted Kyousuke to heal so he'd love her, Kyouko wanted her father to be respected so they'd stop being poor and have food. Nevermind the fact that Madoka's original wish was just to save the life of a stray cat, it'd be difficult to tack a narrative of selfishness onto that.

last edited at Jul 25, 2018 6:07PM

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

"I don't mind loli"
"loli is DISGUSTING"

last edited at Jul 25, 2018 11:43AM

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

It's really weird reading a Madoka story that portrays Homura's (actual Homura's, not AU Homura) love and devotion for Madoka as genuine and supportive instead of obsessive and selfish. Even before rebellion.

I've seen this accusation thrown around but I don't agree. Obsessive yes, but Homura's hardly selfish. Even her betrayal was spurred on by Madoka's own declaration that she'd never want to leave her friends and family behind for anything. The somewhat erroneous conclusion that Homura drew was that Madoka was not truly happy with her sacrifice. While there was obviously an element of dissatisfaction on Homura's part from the end of the anime, from her own thoughts we know she was clearly willing to honor Madoka's wishes until the moment she became convinced that it was not Madoka's true desire.

Even her controlling behavior during the anime was spurred on by Madoka's own request to "save her from being stupid" and to not let her be fooled by Kyubey into making a contract again. It's little wonder that that was the timeline in which she starts taking a more heavy-handed approach when Madoka herself is calling her decisions stupid and wants Homura to prevent her from making them again.

On a side note, people also read way too hard into her wish. It was a high stress situation with only a single thought running through her head - that her own weakness forced Madoka into shouldering everything. Are we to presume that Mami doesn't care about her parents either because she didn't wish for their survival?

last edited at Jul 25, 2018 11:23AM

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I don't even know why someone would push for the title of this to be changed to "Non-Canon OneeLoli Hentai, Master and Mel." It reeks of absolute desperation to reject the well-established fact that this is how Itou Hachi feels about her characters. Canonicity probably isn't even something that crossed her mind because whether it has happened or not at the current point in time of the story is irrelevant - to her, it's something that inevitably will happen.

The idea that it would somehow reduce the number of these supposed misclicks (which totally aren't just people who know they hate it and feel compelled to read it so they can complain about it more) is ridiculous, when that's not even the source of the problem in the first place.

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

But it's not grammatically incorrect. You start letters in english as, say: "Dear [Hoky]," or "Dear [Bob]" with the subject in the brackets I'm placing.
In this case, it'd be "Dear [My Teacher]." That's absolutely correct. Saying "My Dear Teacher" is something entirely different in meaning. In the former case, it means something along the lines of "to my teacher" and in your erroneously fixed version it means "my important teacher." The point of the title is that it's the person's feelings they are trying to send to their teacher.

"Dear Teacher" would probably be a more natural way to phrase it in English than "Dear My Teacher", but eh, it gets the idea across.

Back on topic, I'm starting to think that another commenter's theory earlier in the thread that Rii was Kohsaka's previous target is right on the money. She's being a little too serious and intense for somebody who doesn't suspect what's going on.

It also sounds significantly less personal to say Dear Teacher.

last edited at May 22, 2018 11:46PM

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

Okay this is going exactly where I expected it to. And that's not a good thing. While I'm not shocked, I'm not going to hide my disappointment and disgust. There's no question that woman's a rapist. And this author is condoning this behavior as acceptable as a romantic relationship. I'm understand the draw of loli and age gap manga. While I'm not big on loli I've enjoyed various age gap stories like My Dear Teacher (I refuse to use the Engrish title). Such stories didn't involve watching a grown adult grooming a child and outright tossing her into bed and raping her. This one goes beyond the pale. Keep in mind, I'm cool with the story being here and being available for everyone to read. I'm sure there are some people who're enjoying it. But I'm thoroughly disgusted with it.

How is Dear My Teacher engrish?
It's supposed to be read like as if someone composed a letter "Dear, my teacher."
It's not even the only thing I can think of that uses this idea, there's "Dear my future" in Pretty Rhythm/Pripara
http://pripara.wikia.com/wiki/Dear_My_Future_~Mirai_no_Jibun_e~
And the Japanese half the title even calls it "to the future me"
Based off of a quick google search, there's also "Dear my friends," "Dear my lover," "Dear my girls," and "Dear my human" (it's a pet show, so I presume this is directed at the owner), all of which are asian mind you, so it's not even a completely uncommon thing either.

Calling it "My Dear Teacher" is literally changing the meaning to something else entirely.

last edited at May 22, 2018 10:39PM

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I've never watched Hibike! Euphonium, and I don't ever intend to do so (partially because I just hate anime), so here's an example I'm more familiar with. In Ken Akamatsu's manga Negima!, when the character Setsuna is introduced it's quickly established that she has feelings for one of the main female characters, Konoka. As the story goes on, their relationship gradually progresses. HOWEVER. Even while that's happening, both girls are still being pushed as "romantic options" for the protagonist. As soon as the two became a thing, I lost all investment I had between either one of them and the protagonist, which makes me wonder why they couldn't just be together without the protagonist's involvement.

To be fair, he did make them straight up get married at the end, and apparently have science babies in the sequel.

I, uh... don't think it worked out that way. I'm not up to date with U.Q. Holder, but from what I've read so far, "science babies" isn't a safe assumption to make.

I thought they had descendants that looked like literal clones of themselves, but I was already fed up with Negima by the end of it for non-yuri reasons so I didn't pick up UQ holder and this is just what I've heard, hence the "apparently." The marriage was a thing though, at the end of Negima.

last edited at Apr 28, 2018 12:36PM

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I've never watched Hibike! Euphonium, and I don't ever intend to do so (partially because I just hate anime), so here's an example I'm more familiar with. In Ken Akamatsu's manga Negima!, when the character Setsuna is introduced it's quickly established that she has feelings for one of the main female characters, Konoka. As the story goes on, their relationship gradually progresses. HOWEVER. Even while that's happening, both girls are still being pushed as "romantic options" for the protagonist. As soon as the two became a thing, I lost all investment I had between either one of them and the protagonist, which makes me wonder why they couldn't just be together without the protagonist's involvement.

To be fair, he did make them straight up get married at the end, and apparently have science babies in the sequel.

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I think this manga's goal is to make neets who would read it, feel guilty, or ashamed. And for the others to pity them.

Feel guilty toward their family, their friends, their past selves and even society as a whole.

The tone is comedy, but the subtext is that, at the moment, she's worthless.

It just makes me want to marry her and spoil her like her dad does.

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

As one of those people who initially misinterpreted Neeko, I can at least say that I am still around. :-) While I was, indeed, proven wrong, I am still quite confused by this story's intention: if it wants to be a lighthearted comedy, the issues it describes are too real, but if it wants to talk about anxiety and depression seriously, are we still supposed to find it funny, as the Comedy tag seems to suggest?

Poking fun at your own problems and feelings of worthlessness is one way to deal with them. I'm enjoying this a lot and I was in the same spot a year or two ago. It's actually kinda scary how some things in this manga are playing out exactly the same as how it was for me.

Minalinsky
1 x ½ discussion 08 Apr 22:28
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

This kind of thing if encouraged will destroy our society's structure.

Seeing this line on a website primarily directed at gay women literature is kind of ironic, don't you think?

Minalinsky
1 x ½ discussion 04 Apr 01:47
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

i stg if it takes a supernatural twist and it turns out asuka is the reincarnation of atsushi i will cry like really hard

An isekai-tier plot thread like that would probably be the worst thing that could realistically happen.

last edited at Apr 6, 2018 4:27AM

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/166/983/3ca.png

This is just stupid and makes no sense.
I mean, If sushi = hamburger and japan = US, then the "kotatsu" line should be:
"Let's all enjoy a traditional American meal around this utterly regular and absolutely ordinary American table".

You can interpret the comic as saying that Ace Attorney is inconsistent with their overlocalization: they certainly overlocalize, but they don't overlocalize everything.

But if you're just nitpicking the comic I posted because you're mad we criticized your translation, then that's a classic case of "the pot calling the kettle black".

That's similar to the idea being presented in the comic.

If you read the comments written by the artist, the problem they were presenting was how the decision to turn the setting of Ace Attorney into "Los Angeles" in the first game didn't do much immediate harm to the translation, but as the games went on it became increasingly difficult to hide the rewrite.

The example they brought up was an ancient Japanese village filled with ancient thousand year old youkai (Nine-Tails Vale) in the original game, localized as "a village full of Japanese immigrants and ancient youkai that just so happened to immigrate with them into Los Angeles" because they obviously couldn't redo the entire setting for the case.

The comic makes perfect sense in that regard.

last edited at Apr 1, 2018 1:03AM

Minalinsky
Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I'm gonna run the next chapter through google translate and rewrite a bunch of stuff. Since I like Lovecraft, enjoy random references to it.

You guys better be grateful. I don't have to do this.

In all seriousness, the only valid point being made is that this rewrite brought some visibility to the series. I suppose that's true, but you can find a silver lining in just about anything if you look hard enough, so I don't consider it much of a counterpoint.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 7:16PM