Forum › Posts by Suosiki

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I guess I'm the only one who likes subtext?

(gets ready for the torches and pitchforks)

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Signs is the worst movie I've ever seen. I like shlocky sci-fi films, a lot, but it just failed on every possible level... story, direction, dialogue, special effects, music... even the credits were bad.

@Utoptia: I didn't like Blue Is The Warmest Color that much either. It felt like a very average yuri manga, cliches and all, made into a live action film for some reason (I later learned that it had been a comic book, which is supposed to be much better than the movie.)

Some other "arty" films that I just couldn't get with: Another Earth, Melancholia, Alphaville, Ohayou.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Now I can't keep my eyes off of this manga.

Please more puns, please lmao.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Or two girls lose their eye to each other.

...How do six girls give their eye to their club advisor?

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

@Rina: my first Japanese anime was one of the Doraemon films, iirc. My parents used to take me on trips to Little Tokyo, and we'd watch an English subbed movie at the big international theatre in the Japanese shopping mall.

I didn't really start watching anime until the late nineties. VHS was still around... I watched things like Tenchi Muyo, Kimagure Orange Road, Escaflowne, EVA, along with some things on the Sci-fi channel like Iria: Zeiram the animation (which I still like to this day) or Armitage 3. I was a huge weeb for a few years, then lost interest in anime for a few more years, then got back into it through comedies like Azumanga Daioh. Which was also my gateway to yuri. ^^ But there wasn't really one title that made me a fan, just repeated exposure to anime over a long period of time.

last edited at Aug 22, 2016 12:13AM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

And now it has the WTF? tag. By popular demand.

Or I guess you could say... the eyes have it.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

@Utoptia I basically agree with you. I think I have a good idea of what David Lynch's films mean, including Inland Empire, but words don't do the experience of watching them justice.

I feel a similar way about Ikuhara's works (speaking of Utena and Penguindrum here.)

@ZuljinRaynor Mature is an interesting way of putting it. I just found it completely over the top.

Although, In The Mouth Of Madness showed that Carpenter can do subtlety when he wants to... he just chooses not to, most of the time :p

last edited at Aug 20, 2016 11:57PM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I've only listened to Total Recall, Escape from New York, The Thing, and Big Trouble in Little China's. Kurt Russell and John Carpenter have really enjoyable commentary tracks, though they do get off tangent quite a bit and talk about other things. I have a huge appreciation for what John Carpenter does. Not all his movies are good, but I have respect for his filmmaking.

John Carpenter went on a political incorrectness jag for a while, and his films during that period range from goofy (Ghosts Of Mars, AKA 'Let's snort coke and nuke the Injuns') to borderline unwatchable (Escape From L.A., Vampires) But he's directed enough good movies that I can forgive the less-good ones.

@Utoptia, Mulholland Drive is SO good. Have you seen Inland Empire? If not, I encourage you to. It's a lot less accessible than MD... there's very little narrative continuity, or even a narrative at all, as most of the film is based around emotions and themes, not plot. But if you can deal with that, it's amazing. Probably the most mind-altering movie I've ever seen.

last edited at Aug 20, 2016 10:54PM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Oh yeah, and my name comes from 'Suosikki' which is Finnish for 'favorite'. No particular reason. I just liked the way it sounded.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Favorite manga artist: I'm gonna be boring and say Yukito Kishiro. Sure, there are probably better illustrators, but the character and BG artwork in Battle Angel has always impressed me.

Favorite movies? Oh jeez... just to start with, Inland Empire, The Cold Lands, Syndromes And A Century, L'Eclisse, Playtime, Tokyo Drifter, Infernal Affairs, Phantasm (first film only), Argento's Phenomena, Kurosawa's Dreams, A Tree Of Palme, the Utena movie, the Metropolis anime, and Kaguya-hime.

Confession time: I was never a big fan of Cowboy Bebop. Or EVA. I can respect what Hideaki Anno was trying to do, it's just one of those shows that I admire more than like. Though I did like the End Of Evangelion movie. I like fucked-up, difficult films. :p

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Akira_YL: oh wow, that comment paired with that avatar.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I didn't see anything too terrible in the intro. Immature, yeah, but there is worse language on /u/ every day.

Anyway, this is pretty good so far.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I remember being somewhat afraid of Nicholson's Joker... (I was very young)

Oh, Nezchan, have you seen this? http://www.1989batman.com/2015/02/vintage-magazine-article-mad-magazine.html

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Um... that was... yeah...

What the fuck am I reading?

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I've DJed at a few parties, but no, I don't do it for a living. Especially these days, it mostly takes place in my bedroom. :p But the love is there!

To be a little more specific: I'm probably more agender, or genderless, than anything else. They/theirs pronouns are nice, but I'm not too bothered if people forget them. IIRC there was one other agender poster in the forums, but I don't know if they're still active.

I really hope this place can keep its European charm!

I should go to bed... reading yuri helps, but won't cure my fever, as much as I would like it to have that power. :P

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Forgive my ignorance but can you explain what a genderqueer is? I'm not very educated about stuff like that haha i blame the corrupt school system XD

Nah, that's cool. Genderqueer is kind of an all-encompassing term for people who don't ID as totally male or female.

You travel!! That so cool!! I havent traveled much but im hoping to visit China. Though a lot of people say Japan is the way to go hmmm i feel indecisive... No!! My spirit will not waver!! China it is!!! Ill start right away!!!!!!!

I wish I could travel more! The Canada trip was when I was little... UK, more recently, but that's still several years ago.

You could always hedge your bets and go to Taiwan. ^^

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Hey guys. Another long time lurker here, who decided to de-lurk and join the most interesting thread! Being feverish right now may also have something to do with it ^^;

I’m a genderqueer ex-student person, 'musician' and DJ, and typically aimless soul. Yuri-wise, I love reading the likes of Amano Shuninta, Yotsuhara Furiko, Fujieda Miyabi, and Nishio Yuhta. Though my favorite manga (Battle Angel Alita) is about as far from yuri as it gets… though even there I have my ships... ^^;

My biggest love is music. I listen to all kinds of rock, pop, and electronic music (some of which has been mentioned itt), but my all-time favorite band is Ozric Tentacles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLW5TArWh0 (warning: all the flashing lights)

I’m a USian. So far I’ve only been to Canada and the UK… I’m saving up to visit Japan, and I want to see Finland someday too.

I’m probably not too coherent rn, but there you go. ^^