Forum › Posts by kiriactor

kiriactor
Collectors discussion 22 Oct 07:33
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Yesss! A new "Collectors" chapter!! cheers and much rejoicing I swear, they are just so ridiculously cute...

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Neat, I like the different perspectives. Is there one about Rokujou's?

Not according to the table of contents, it's just this one. Plus the original story is Ruri's point of view.

Alright this was fun and its good to know they get a happy ending.

But the best part is according to this http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_conditions_for_paradise_side_a#7 Its three chapters of Honey And Mustard coming up....CAN'T WAIT!! {>o<}/

Oh, man! Will those be new ones? If so, I can't wait to see them!

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I was expecting drama, but it was more comedic?

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I'm greedy so I'm wishing for two things:
1. that neither of them dies (I'm looking at you, Kunizuka)
2. and that they don't break up.

Also, why isn't √100 credited as an author? That's not really fair.

kiriactor
Stretch discussion 21 Oct 12:44
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Don't apologise, ciega! It's a very interesting and I think relevant topic, so thanks a lot for bringing it up! (If anybody wants to stop clogging up this thread, can we transfer to another instead of halting the discussion?)

Isn't the school setting for yuri a cultural thing? I remember I read somewhere that shoujo ai is normally accepted as part of the girl's adolescence, experimenting with their love, feelings, and deep friendship bonds. But it's expected that a girl eventually grows up and comes to terms with her sexuality.

Many have commented on this already, but there's too much of depicting yuri as Class S, "testing the waters" in a relationship that "doesn't count" because it's not with a man, and this issue is even worse when it comes to girls' schools, because then there is often the sense that one side is supposed to be a male substitute. One particular exception I can remember off the top of my head is "Hanjuku Joshi", where the senpai actually accuses the protagonists' relationship being of that nature because they're not in a co-ed school, so that was more refreshing. And as spacepowers mentioned, Takemiya Jin is able to sidestep this problem by depicting characters who are definitely gay rather than experimenting or seeking a male replacement, which is much appreciated.

Workplace can be another improvement...

Heartily agreed! I cheer every time I see a yuri work with the OL tag... Which is not all that common.

...if the author wants the series to be animated, i.e. go toward the mainstream direction, it must involve adolescent girls. [...] So unless there's a major cultural shift in Japan about homosexuality, I'm afraid we are stuck with the school setting.

And therein lies my argument against the ending of yuri-exclusive publications such as Yuri-hime. If it runs in a magazine aimed at a more mainstream audience, then such 'deviancy' - already not entirely condoned by the audience for yuri - will be seen as even more distasteful and is unlikely to gain realistic and respectful representation. And regards Kanbaru, I heard that although she's apparently a lesbian, she still gets attention from Araragi and shows attraction to him, and that her "lesbianism" is really just intended as a male turn-on? I don't read or watch the Monogatari series so I don't know, but I was under the impression that Kanbaru was decidedly not a properly-treated queer character.

What I would however prefer to see instead is that yuri wouldn't limit itself into a special genre, but rather become yet another kind of relationship in your everyday genres. [...] ...why not go further than that? The story could be way deeper. [...] There are many hardships that gay people have to fight not because they're gay, but because they're people. And I find it annoying that practically each and every story deals with gay hardships but ignores the rest as if they don't exist.

While I certainly understand where you're coming from - it's boring to see the same old cliches of gayngst and unrequited love etc. being recycled over and over again without anything new added to the mix - I'd also like to point out a few things.
1. You might have noticed that there aren't that many yuri works which have become a long series; an overwhelming amount are one-shots or end within two volumes. There isn't much space to work with; showing a character's growing understanding and acceptance of their sexuality (which, I must admit, is rarely dealt with in a proper fashion - it's usually a case of "well I like this person and she's a girl") can easily take up all the narrative, let alone adding other problems. And LGBT-specific tropes can become tiresome, to be sure, but to exclude them in favour of focusing on other issues is usually unrealistic as well, especially if you're taking it from the growing-up angle. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if both sides were already assured of their sexuality, in which case they could just get on with their business, but that's not often the case.
2. Variety is important, but to do so at the expense of depicting stories that focus on characters' sexuality and relationships has the potential danger of relegating the LGBT elements to a side-show. When I was exploring my own sexuality a few years ago - I'm a lesbian as well - the fact that there was a whole genre focused on the romantic/relationship aspect of arguably queer females really helped a lot - here was a ton of stories where I could relate to the characters and their problems. I wouldn't want to restrict others from having the same help I did.
3. You actually mentioned this yourself, but Japan's stance of homosexuality isn't changing any time soon, and as ciega said, this is all about parity. At this point, I'd prioritise series focused on (adult) LGBT characters and their relationships over other genres featuring incidental LGBT elements. Only when the yuri industry has expanded properly would I turn my sights on other genres. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome them at all - obviously it's possible to have more SoL with a little yuri while having the same influx of good old romantic yuri - it's just that it's not one of my main focus right now. Not that I can do anything about it except buy manga to support the artists, really. :P

1. Good, deep series are difficult to find in all genres, and yuri is no exception. We've already got a couple of gems - Utena and Noir (debatable according to some) - and I'm grateful for that.

I'm patiently waiting for a good story writer to finally deconstruct yuri and give the genre a birth in a new light. :)

I'm hoping that Yuri Kuma Arashi will be able to do something of the sort! LGBT issues in manga/anime tend to revolve around an internal struggle about characters accepting their own - often one-target, frustratingly enough - sexuality but not so often about external struggles, which is saddening because homophobia is still a very real and relevant issue in conservative Japan. I'm excited to see if it'll be able to tackle those issues and so draw more attention to the importance of not only gay people accepting themselves, but also of society accepting gay people.

Finally, back on topic: I'm not hoping Stretch will turn into a full blown yuri romantic drama, but rather that Ran will come out as a bona-fide lesbian after all the hints dropped about her sexuality, and that she and Keiko will eventually move into a romantic relationship - but not one terribly different from the current one - perhaps excepting occasional instances of intimacy that go beyond friendship. But honestly, right now, I'm less excited about the yuri than about Ran potentially being a lesbian. It's thrilling to see a character whose sexuality is not disclosed at first be depicted in such a way to bring it into question, and to see that being treated in a positive and respectful manner (though of course we have no solid proof).

...Sorry for such a long post.

kiriactor
Stretch discussion 18 Oct 12:44
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Everyone is expecting the yuri that will never come…

Ran can be totally gay even without any Yuri happening =D

Exactly! And I'd still be happy with that, because at least you'd actually have a queer character in a category inundated with high school girls and their (probably short-lived) crushes. There's a severe dearth of adult LGBT characters in yuri, which is partly why I appreciate series like "Ohana Holoholo" and Nishi UKO and Takemiya Jin's works (though Jin's characters aren't always adults, they definitely come off as being more LGBT than the pure-love-yuri type). If "Stretch" was added to that very short list, it'd be really awesome.

as these Yuri/Shoujo Ai themed publications get folded into the more mainstream outlets, do you think we'll see more or less adult LGBT characters? Also, do you think we'll be inundated with "flavor of the month" serials and one shots and/or see more releases that get watered down to the point they should not be considered subtext? I ask this question in particular because on this reader, Stretch has considerable popularity, and I'm curious if its success could be seen as a template that is copied by other mangaka.

"Stretch" doesn't seem all that popular in Japan, despite its following on this reader, so I doubt that it would serve as a model for other series even if it does turn yuri or reveal that Ran is a lesbian.
However, as you pointed out, it is a fact that yuri is seeping into mainstream publications - see the shoujo (I am aware that it runs in a seinen magazine, but it reads like shoujo) manga "Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha" which is generally very straight but has a canon, if minor, yuri pairing - so the question still stands. In my opinion, there will probably be little change in the number of adult LGBT characters - there aren't very many adult characters in anime and manga, anyway! - but if there was a change, it'd probably be a decrease. The reason why adult yuri even exists is probably due to the creators' personal preferences (I'm looking at you, Nishi) rather than editorial guidance - Chisako, whose work has run in Yuri-hime, suggested that there ought to be a magazine like Yuri-hime but only with adult characters, like the various adult spinoffs of shoujo magazines e.g. AneLaLa and AneCan, and others mangaka seemed to welcome the idea, including Nishi UKO and Amano Shuninta, who was so enthusiastic she actually drafted a cover illustration for it. (I personally love the idea and wish that such a magazine would really come into existence.) In other words, they probably want to have more adult yuri, but are being held back by their editors or by the readers. And this is already in a category where the base requirement is yuri.
Can you imagine how that would be in a mainstream series? Making the main or frequently recurring characters queer in a work aimed at the masses would already be very unusual, especially if they had a role beyond that of titillation - often even the validity of the term "queer" or LGBT is called into question with mainstream series, let alone their ages.There are exceptions - Golondrina and Gunjou come to mind - but they are few and far between, and in the former, the main character's sexuality is incidental so any issues in connection with it are more or less side-stepped. No, we will have to continue relying on specifically yuri works to find the representation we want for a while: if Yuri-hime disappeared, I would be greatly concerned for the future of yuri/lesbian manga, because it is within this genre that creators have the freedom to write realistic stories about realistic adult characters without worrying about how the audience will take the LGBT elements.

:-) tho I wish her characters were older. heck, I wish all the mangaka would write more stories where the characters were not high school/college aged. I'd love to see their perspective on older adult lesbians.

Even more college stuff would be step in the right direction. Get out of the girls' schools, into a setting where it's a bit tougher to find a partner and it's a bit more than a crush!

meh, the way the authors portray the characters is still too high schoolish. need more stories like those written by Nishi Uko IMO.

College is on the whole still better than the schoolgirl stuff, though. Small steps, small steps.

kiriactor
Stretch discussion 17 Oct 08:10
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Everyone is expecting the yuri that will never come…

Ran can be totally gay even without any Yuri happening =D

Exactly! And I'd still be happy with that, because at least you'd actually have a queer character in a category inundated with high school girls and their (probably short-lived) crushes. There's a severe dearth of adult LGBT characters in yuri, which is partly why I appreciate series like "Ohana Holoholo" and Nishi UKO, Amano Shuninta and Takemiya Jin's works (though Jin's characters aren't always adults, they definitely come off as being more LGBT than the pure-love-yuri type). If "Stretch" was added to that very short list, it'd be really awesome.

Edit: added Shuninta to the list. I can't believe I forgot her! I knew I was missing something. Thanks, Underachiever007- you're no underachiever after all!

last edited at Oct 17, 2014 5:10PM

kiriactor
Stretch discussion 15 Oct 17:01
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

At this point wouldn't it seem a bit of a genre change if they became a couple? At first that's what I wanted, but as I read on it just seemed less and less likely and I'd rather preserve the essence of the story rather than just fanservice. Then again, maybe I still wouldn't mind the yuri...

wah? on this i respecfully disagree. IMHO, it would make more sense if they became a couple and I do not see it as a change in genre. i say this because what we have been seeing for 26 chapters is a slow progression of their friendship from simple roommates to something more akin to family. that said, it is not a far stretch (pun intended) if their friendship progresses to the romantic. why? because we have been presented with coy glances, blushing, cutsie offhand comments... i argue that these examples are the foundation of a relationship. nothing fast. nothing topsy-turvy. just a nice slow progression. that said, if they never become a couple, then that is also ok because they would have a very strong, loving, non-romantic bond which is equally as valid as if they were a couple.

Although I do view them as a very loving pair of friends at the moment, I get the feeling that Ran might be a closeted lesbian who's in love with Keiko - you have references to how she seems uninterested in guys, although she is popular with them, and, I don't know, there's just a sort of undertone with some of the things she says to her. The "cherry-popping" comment is fanbait, sure, but usually when there's fanbait the characters themselves will be unaware of the innuendo, and that is certainly not the case here: Shou has Ran say 'I'm glad this is your first time', which is the usual level of "innocent" service, but then very deliberately follows up with the 'I get to pop one of your cherries' thing, which has overt sexual connotations. Even the normally quite oblivious Keiko notices.

On the other hand, Keiko herself is probably straight or unaware of her bisexuality, giving off a much more friend-like vibe - her touching Ran's hair and groping her generally comes off as innocent interest and admiration (that sounds so positive) rather than lesbian attraction. So while I think that Ran has actually got a fair chance of being a closeted lesbian - which would be incredibly cool if it were true; I'd have to praise Shou for being able to handle the whole thing fairly delicately and realistically - I doubt that she'll get together with Keiko unless she confesses or otherwise makes her feelings obvious. I may be completely wrong, or maybe it just won't happen. But man, do I wish that would it would. Rooting for them all the way, even if they're only just friends without romantic feelings for each other!

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Wow, it was so cute~ I'm glad they could be happy together.

last edited at Oct 11, 2014 4:56AM

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Takemiya-sensei is so awesome. Also, that coming out scene is hilarious, wish that sort of thing happens more often IRL.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Sol Falling, I could not agree more!

And nobody has problems with, lets say, a 26/27 year old man dating a 15/16 year old girl? Innocent until proven guilty? In many countries that is statutory rape. The entire notion of "Lolitas" is bullshit. Young people (both girls and boys) cannot give that kind of consent as adults are able to manipulate youth (due to inexperience and power dynamics), especially ones wounded by all the adults in their lives. That makes the boyfriend a predator. Guilty.

there is 0 problem with this as long as they both care for each other, girls stop maturing at 16 anyway and by that point in your life you can make your own decisions.

Physically, yes 16 is when girls stop developing. The problem is that emotional and intellectual development is very much not done at 16.

I agree. At sixteen people are still usually much too immature and impressionable to be making such serious decisions, and really they shouldn't have to be making them then - that's a very big problem.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Wow. This collection is wonderful - it's sweet and romantic, but very gently so rather than being sugary, diabetes-inducing fluff. Which is nice in its own way, but it's nice to get stories with a soothing atmosphere as well.

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

A realistic, bittersweet age gap story which provided a nice change of pace. Also, I'm sort of amused by whoever of Miya's friends was yelling 'It's fine even if she's a woman! That sort of thing happens too!' and 'Don't worry about it, Miya! Go for it!'. We sure live in an (comparatively) enlightened age.

A bittersweet story with a younger girl rushing into a love she really doesn't fully understand and in doing so she gets a little scared and backs away . I am deeply touched , and I wonder if Mira sensei stumbled across this in real life recently .

Not very relevant, but actually you can see on the last page that it's from 2008. I wondered about that too, though.

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Cliche and old plot, but still a nice read. I found the art standard quality and the yuri was a bit downplayed. However, cliche as the characters were, I found them both to be very interesting (...)

On the contrary, I don't think the story or characters were cliche at all. Sure it may have seemed that way at first, but on closer inspection there are fine details that make this story quite original. For example, the megane girl was well aware that she was popular and knew all the reasons why, the delinquent girl (rather than being stoic and unwilling to befriiend anyone) was the one who approached megane girl and was the one who originally wanted to be her friend, and the delinquent girl was willing to give up fighting after being asked the first time (usually there's a bit of resistance). So I really wouldn't call this one shot cliche at all.

Ah, somebody beat me to it. ^^
I thought that the main character was pretty refreshingly frank - glasses-wearing bookworms tend to be presented as being shy and studious and not much else, but this one knows she's popular, is quite confident of herself and more a loner than a person too shy to make friends. I quite like her face on page 29 and, of course, the nonchalant coming out as well!

Can't wait to see the sequels! And great job as usual, Yuri Project!

kiriactor
In Season discussion 18 Sep 23:53
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

I bet they're eating apricots.

I thought the same thing. At any rate, this was really, really cute. sparkly eyes Surprisingly fluffy, actually, considering it's Mental Apricot, but I'm not complaining. :)

kiriactor
Heartbreak discussion 18 Sep 05:39
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Ooh, a really lovely and realistic story! faves

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

what do you like more: marisa x reimu or marisa x alice? (I guess I choose both XD)

AliMari tends to make for cute or sweet little works, but there's something about ReiMari which sinks deep into the heart (for me anyway). ReiMari gives off an image for me of years (a lifetime, really) spent together; a casual companionship which, in spite of their differing personalities, makes it simply natural for the other to always be there.

Same. ReiMari's casualness, the everyday nature of their interactions, their long-established familiarity with each other, all combines to make them the pairing I prefer for Reimu and Marisa. And since I'm a one-pairing-per-character person, AliMari was eliminated as a matter of course.

Although there was an unusually large amount of narration in this one, I liked the more introspective feeling it gave. The snapshot style of the stories was also nice and particularly fitting for ReiMari, and reminded me of two of Yonurime's works. All in all, a nice collection of shorts!

...The QC could use a little work though, there were quite a few little errors throughout (and a lot concentrated in the afterword).

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Note from the Lililicious site:

This is the final volume of Hirari, but the publisher has announced that they are hoping to release some collections in the next few years, including Fujio's Parlor, so this might not be the end for Under One Roof. We can only hope!

+1

I've been waiting for ages, it would be a shame to end it like this...

kiriactor
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

On page 16 of chapter 3 there was some about an OVA and since I'm just the absolute worst at kanji I can't read what it says. Can somebody translate please? Cuz if one of these yuri series is getting an OVA then that's just fucking fantastic

It's for Yuru Yuri, so the announcement is unrelated to this series.

Nooooo! I really didn't want this to turn into a love triangle... :(

It's Takemiya Jin's so... a love polygon is more likely

You knew it was going to happen. Since when has there ever been a Jin series with no love polygon? Even her oneshot has one.

Also, I agree with somebody else's comment - I'm enjoying this one quite a bit more than the rest of her works so far...

last edited at Sep 9, 2014 11:11PM

kiriactor
Hypothermia discussion 07 Sep 23:58
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Ah, so cute!

kiriactor
Stretch discussion 04 Sep 23:01
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

That boob touch
That confession
That ogling~

Keiko's definitely into Ran

She is. And she was in chapter one. And Ran is into Keiko They're just shy

Hahaha, I wish that were so. Though the chances of a yuri end have happily gone up!

I swear that whateverhernameis had weird thought about those 2 at least 3 times

Yeah, she totally thinks that Keiko's into Ran, you can see it here and here. XD

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

"Perform the landing of the Apollo 11 also known as your lips on the surface of the moon also known as mine."
...Amazing.

kiriactor
Image Comments 04 Sep 04:15
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013
92326391441f132205d60ad4e0d92231

I love how everybody's yelling "Kiss, kiss" and then Mugi's all, "Get married!".
We are all Mugi.

last edited at Sep 4, 2014 4:16AM

kiriactor
January 15 discussion 04 Sep 02:58
Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

dies of cuteness overload

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

Rather than a love triangle, I feel it's more like both Mugi and Ritsu like each other, while Mio has an unrequited crush on Ritsu...?