Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I've loved this ever since it started. As that vampire said, it's "so . . . much . . . FUN!"

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, well, now the normal is on the other foot.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"No, I meant how much do you love me?" "Oh. Well, the 'I want to taste' part still applies."

Purple Library Guy
Lost discussion 12 Jul 16:38
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Interesting visuals: Their social media was immaculate; their bedroom was pristine; but their living room (where mundane day-to-day life occurs) was full of trash. Trash that was never talked about or even acknowledged.

Oh, interesting! This is the kind of clever stuff I never notice.

Purple Library Guy
Lost discussion 12 Jul 02:41
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It has an oddly unfinished feeling, for me. The other girl is, as far as I can figure, still out there somewhere. I feel like normally the story would continue until she turns up in some way and they hash things out, have their painful breakup and stuff.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Alcohol! Helping lesbians get laid since . . . hang on . . . no, according to this manga it doesn't work for lesbians.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It kind of seems like Liane is going to go looking for Ruri and find this fight. If she gets involved, I'm curious about the basic question: Will she be terrible at fighting because she's a total nerd and does terrible at PE? Or will she be amazingly badass because the intellectual skills they're learning are about applying "angel power" AKA divine magic, so she'll be able to wave her finger and turn someone inside out? Could go either way. So we don't know just which of them will be saving which.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So far I'm loving the series, thanks for the translation!

The former idol cliche is super overdone at this point but I just love adult yuri stories . Count me in !

Out of all my years reading Yuri I don't think I've seen the former idol plot beat "that" many times. At least not in Yuri specifically, so personally I'm fine with it. Also I think with how being an Idol is a big dream in Japan, and there's a often major problems with being an Idol, that a former Idol narrative makes sense for a Japanese series to have. Kind of reminds of the "American Dream" not working out type of narrative in American media. Both types of narratives are still relevant in current day.

It's just a trope I've seen too many times for my liking, not just in the yuri genre specifically.

I can understand that. But I think it'd be a bit unfair if every trope other genres beat to death becomes off limits to yuri because they didn't get to it in time.

Purple Library Guy
Kill Switch discussion 03 Jul 02:06
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Actually, what she's feeling is Envy, Jealousy is feeling like something you already have is under threat, whereas Envy is wanting something that you can't have.

That's an interesting distinction that I can see being useful, but I don't think those words actually are distinct that way in either dictionary definitions or usage.

Webster's New World: Envy- desire for something another has. Jealousy- resentfully suspicious of rivalry. They are distinct concepts as the first party stated. We must adhere to definitions or words become Newspeak.

Oxford English Dictionary on Jealousy (just part of the definition, which is very long cos it's the OED): "resentment or ill-will towards another on account of advantage or superiority, possible or actual, on his part; envy, grudge."
Note the second to last word. These things can be slippery, and words which have some distinction and are not exactly synonyms can still edge into each other. Jealousy does have MORE emphasis on what you said, but envy is still part of its use and is indeed right in its definition.
And seriously, the OED is THE dictionary--everything else is pale imitations.

Purple Library Guy
Kill Switch discussion 03 Jul 01:57
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Actually, what she's feeling is Envy, Jealousy is feeling like something you already have is under threat, whereas Envy is wanting something that you can't have.

That's an interesting distinction that I can see being useful, but I don't think those words actually are distinct that way in either dictionary definitions or usage.
I have a similar thing--I like to see a distinction between ethics and morals, where ethics are grounded in some kind of philosophical principle, while morals are based in community standards, religious strictures and similar authority-based foundations, and may from an ethical position be completely arbitrary. Note that religious texts can contain ethical principles, like "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you". So in this scheme, for instance, disapproving of gays is a moral position, not an ethical one, since all the justifications for it ultimately come down to "God says" or "That's what the community thinks", but nobody ever advances any actual reasons why gayness is a bad thing.
I think it's a useful distinction and I think there's some basis for it in usage, but in the end I can't really defend it. Pity.

Man, I wanted to tell you for a long time, so this is as good a time as any: If you ever decide to write a book, post a link, and I'll buy it.

Why, thank you very much. It happens I did decide to write a book, which is mostly finished, but I've kind of lost momentum, so I find this rather heartening. Science fiction with a definite political angle.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Just for the record, I'm a guy and I think this is pretty hilarious. Not one of the Great Works, but I don't bitch about that with manga as a rule, so I'm not about to start just because it's calling out sexism. Maybe the sexist jerks being pointed out don't bother me because I don't actually see myself in them . . . makes me wonder about the people it does bother.

last edited at Jun 29, 2021 10:03PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Gotta say that after the 17th variation on the same theme from this author, it's getting a little stale.

There isn't much similar beyond '2 females of different station' the story/setting and characters differ quite a lot each time.

Yeah the main common theme with this author is height difference and maybe age difference, which isn't even that present here. So I feel like they're complaining that this author keeps making Yuri, which makes me wonder why they're even here haha

Plus you'd think with how annoyed they sound they would have stopped reading this author's works after like 3rd or maybe 5th time, but here they are complaining about the "17th" time like they're being forced to read it.

Gotta read it to know if it's any good.

Haha well I definitely won't disagree there. I'll usually check out almost all new works even if I'm not a fan of an author, but I also fully acknowledge that's my choice and I'm not going to get annoyed with an author for writing something that's not my cup of tea, or for writing reoccurring themes, simple stories, so fourth. Critique can also be good discussion of course, but ultimately I'm mostly trying to say that people shouldn't feel forced or obligated to read/consume media that isn't to their liking. Life is shorter than we think and we should enjoy it while it lasts as they say.

There are different reasons to read fiction. For me, for this kind of thing, I don't worry too much about predictability or, up to a point at least, stuff being kind of the same. I don't read romance for ingenuity or innovation. Rather, the point is more about basic emotional payoff, and that requires certain patterns that fundamentally satisfy, and there aren't that many of them. So for instance, the (person) has to get the (person), and you have to feel like that's a good thing because they are good for each other in some way. Originality is nice, but if it changes the formula in a way that loses that fundamental payoff, it's worse than pointless. Which is not to say nobody is allowed to read romance with different objectives. And for that matter I don't have the same lens for everything I read; if I read a cyberpunk novel I'm looking for some very different stuff. Or if I see under author, "Dowman Sayman" I'll put on a rather different readership hat before going in . . .
Still, I think it's very common for people to read this sort of thing with the basic idea being that it will make us happier, tickle our warm fuzzies, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that--it's about basic human condition stuff.

last edited at Jun 20, 2021 4:02PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Good lord this is cute.

Purple Library Guy
Ikoku Nikki discussion 20 Jun 02:28
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I can totally get why she's doing what she's doing, and why it's getting to her . . . but at the same time, I dunno how to put this . . . If you don't know what kind of person your dad was, if he never bothered to be near enough to your life to make an impression on you, then he was just this older man you hardly knew. So does it really matter what he was like? Light some incense now and then and thank him for going to work so you could spend your childhood not starving, but beyond that (shrug).

I'm saying this as a dad . . . my daughter damn well knows who I am, for better or worse, and I can't imagine having so little presence in her life that she'd have to do something like that if I croaked. Even my stepdaughters, including the one I didn't come on the scene until she was in her teens, besides that I like to think they're very fond of me, we've made strong impressions on each other, paid enough attention to each other to have pretty good ideas what we're dealing with. I just feel like if they had no idea who I was, I wouldn't deserve much from them.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Is the rubbing under your arm thing actually helpful, or is it just another weird, un-scientific Japanese superstition like getting a cold by sleeping under a kotatsu or walking in the rain?

If a person is cold for a long time, it can depress their immune system. This isn't such an issue nowadays in say North America because generally when we get cold it's for a short time and then we go into a centrally heated building such as our home which is nice and warm throughout.
But traditionally most Japanese homes are not centrally heated . . . so like, if you're out in the rain and come home you don't necessarily warm up immediately. And if you're using a kotatsu, the part that is under there feels toasty . . . but the part that sticks out may be quite cold, and if you go to sleep that way instead of actually getting in bed under the covers so you're all warm, that might not be so good.
I get the impression there's a lot more heating options in modern Japanese homes, but nonetheless, I don't think those things are purely superstition, at least in their origins.

last edited at Jun 20, 2021 1:58AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Keep the faith! There shall be a “yuri” tag! Have faith in Dynasty-Scans, Believe! Your hopes will be answered, believe, and it will come to pass! The “Yuri” tag will APPEAR!

Now just take a moment of prayer as we pass around the collection plates for “Yuri”! The donation will go the kick starter for “Maka Maka III”! We must provide charity to those deserving artists supporting the Yuri manga for the community! Give, and ye shall be rewarded to an unending supply of Yuri manga without the “Aaaangst!” tag. Give more, and ye shall receive a bounty of “Adult Life” without “Age Gap”. Hallelujah!

For those angelic donators going beyond “Insane Amounts of Handholding”, they will be blessed by MIRA, The Saint of Pre-historic Yuri, who gives testament to the Yuri before the Old Testament! Praise be they who give more than that and they will be thrice blessed by MOCHI!

How does one join this religion ?

I think we all already have.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Ah, good to see another chapter of Stretch! Um, I mean . . .

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I have to say that as a fan, over the last few chapters I consider myself serviced.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oop?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww that was so deuced cute!!!!!!

Purple Library Guy
Semelparous discussion 15 Jun 17:28
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So from what I'm getting from this chapter is Youko has a high chance(guaranteed?) of dying. Yorino will get pregnant. But I'm hope I'm wrong, I don't want her to die.

I'd say if anything in fiction it becomes LESS likely they're going to die when they say "So this is it, we're going to die!"

last edited at Jun 15, 2021 5:29PM

Purple Library Guy
Semelparous discussion 15 Jun 17:27
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS SCIENCE BABIESSSSSSSSSSSS

. . . Sort of. Magic babies? Mysterious superhero energy babies? Certainly not a lot of science on offer. ;)

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This chapter feels less like a manga and more like my mental stereotype of exaggerated doujins hastily stapled together the night before the con.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It won't come back from Binbou, but as time allows, I'll retranslate what's missing.

Thank you very much!

Purple Library Guy
Slow Start discussion 12 Jun 16:50
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

On eggs--I'm surprised the dessert aficionado didn't mention flan.