Forum › Posts by Alice Cheshire

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

AshtheFan posted:

I disagree that this is what is happening in this story. Just because she's considered herself straight her whole life doesn't mean she can't discover she's not now. And if a hot coworker confessing to her is what it takes for her to go "hey, maybe I do actually like women too" then so what? Everyone's journey is different. Some people just can't imagine how they'd feel about something until they are actually in that situation.

I remember hearing a story about this actually happening to a 40-year-old woman.

It's nowhere near as big of a shift as realizing you're gay, but something similar happened to me. I realized, years after having met a person, that I had a crush on them since we first met. It was just after hearing they had broken up with their long-time partner. I realized it, and then realized I had been subconsciously avoiding thinking about it until that moment.

Yeah I know of multiple women who have been married and had kids with a man only to later in life, after divorcing said man, find out they are much happier with another woman.

And I took 20 years to realize I liked girls, which compared to 40 isn't a lot but looking back, it feels like it shouldn't have taken so long lol. I do think it has something to do with exposure tho, because what made me realize it was listening to a lesbian on a podcast. I had a lot of the same opinions and feelings as her about things and it made me go "huh... Wait a minute." And then all the pieces throughout my life just kinda clicked into place, like "ohhhh that's why"

I knew someone in highschool whose father had been married to their mother like 20 years and had three kids with her only to realize he was gay. Interestingly enough, he'd spent most of those 20 years as a pastor too. And then there's my grandfather. (Who had four children and was married for around 25-30 years.) We don't know for sure since he's no longer around but we're pretty sure he was either a closeted homosexual or bisexual due to various subtle clues such as my mom discovering a dildo in his room after he died and at one point when I was fairly young (around the age of 10-11 years old or so?) I accidentally caught him looking at a pic of some nude buff guy on his computer. This sort of thing is actually a lot more common than most people seem to realize.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Zoetrophy posted:

Here's a 90sec demo of the enhancements. You can see how the layout is affected at different display widths, etc. I made the long reader toggleable, but I didn't add a button to the UI to toggle it. For this demo, it just turns on automatically when it detects a long strip. I disabled the code to change the location hash, because I think it was triggering an existing listener to scroll the page to the top on page change -- that's why the URL isn't reflecting the current page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXbqeDjy6o

This isn't an official response since I'm not involved with the site's development but if your continuous scroll mode for long strip chapters embeds all images at once, it's rather unlikely to be considered. Bandwidth is one of the biggest considerations for site development from what I've seen and embedding all images at once would bypass the caching they already do. (Though admitted I say this as someone who has a script that adds a button to each chapter to cache all pages myself due to my isp sucking. I'd prefer to just wait 10-15minutes to load all the pages of a chapter than to have to wait 30-60 seconds to load the next page when reading.)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

princess_daphie posted:

This is blessed! Hiyori definitely knows what she wants and used the annoying "but we're both girls it's fine" phrase as a means to an end this time, so I'm letting it slide, lol! She definitely doesn't think of it that way :)

I mean, on a technical level she's not wrong. Assuming she's a lesbian rather than bisexual, then it would indeed be okay because they're both girls. That implies it wouldn't be okay if one of them wasn't, which makes complete sense.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Purple Library Guy posted:

Gotta say I thought it was pretty funny that Virgo told on HERSELF for breaking the rules.

Incidentally, I'm a Virgo and I've done the same thing, lol.

My junior year in highschool some douchebag just wouldn't leave me alone during one of my classes and he just kept escalating things even though I was ignoring him. Eventually he tried to trash the project I was working on and finally lost my temper and socked him in the face. Out of the entire class, only a single person saw me hit him and that person was a friend so he wasn't going to tattle on me. Everyone, including the teacher, saw the other guy punch me back though.

To be fair, I didn't even realize so few people saw me punch him until after the fact but it wouldn't have actually changed how I handled things when it came to talking to the principal. My honesty (as well as the principal knowing that I had a bad temper and had endured this guy's shit for an hour before losing my temper) netted me a lesser sentence for my actions. Since the district I attended has one of those moronic zero-tolerance policies, we both should've been suspended. Instead we both got a week's of lunch detentions, of which I ended up only serving two before the principal said I was done with them. Other guy refused to serve even one and eventually ended up getting suspended and eventually transferred schools due to causing more problems.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

elevown posted:

Not sure this is the best place for this but- did the site recently change how lists work? They used to be one long list and now mine seem to be split into pages- which is useless if i want to Ctrl-F search through my list looking for tags or names etc.

If this IS a change, is there any way to make them go back to a single long list? The lists lost 90% of their usefulness like this for me- i see no easy way to search a list now?

It could be reverted but the chances of that happening are quite low since it happened for performance reasons. I believe alternate solutions are being considered, however.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Milktea discussion 07 Mar 10:44
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

NARESH4444 posted:

I have a feeling this isn't the only song turned comic on Dynasty.

Perhaps a tag for such a thing is needed?

Technically Husky and Medley could be considered a song turned into a manga. Though the reality there is that both the manga and song are based on actual events. (And the song I mention can be found here. Incidentally, it's also a Vocaloid song.)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

KawaiiSuika posted:

KawaiiSuika posted:

Is this shallow manga finally dead, for real this time? God I hope so.

Who hurt you my dude? :/ Chill
It's really sad to see toxicity in this community.
Hope u have better days <3

People not liking the same things as you isn't toxic. Chill. Also, not a dude.

Toxic is shitting on something unconstructively just because you don't like it. Your original post was fairly inflammatory and amounts to no more than "I don't like thing and everyone needs to know!" Don't make posts like that.

This is a comment section, people are supposed to comment how they feel about a work and that's what I did. I didn't insult or degrade anybody else, and I don't appreciate y'all acting like I did. Honestly, this attitude that the only comments allowed are praise is way more toxic than anything I said. Also, I did give a reason, it's shallow, and I have no problem expanding on that, it's materialistic, it overly values people's appearances and it's borderline misogynistic. The girls warm up to each other but ultimately never really recon with their sexist ideas, because the manga actually agrees with those ideas. It plays at saying, "she needs glasses to see", but it ultimately doesn't hesitate to get rid of them. I say none of this with any judgement of the people who actually like this story, and I only wish y'all would do the same to people who don't like it.

Nobody said criticism isn't allowed. It just has to actually be criticism and not simply shitting on the series. Learn the difference between constructive criticism and unconstructive criticism. What you said in this post about the series is actually constructive, unlike the other post.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

KawaiiSuika posted:

Is this shallow manga finally dead, for real this time? God I hope so.

Who hurt you my dude? :/ Chill
It's really sad to see toxicity in this community.
Hope u have better days <3

People not liking the same things as you isn't toxic. Chill. Also, not a dude.

Toxic is shitting on something unconstructively just because you don't like it. Your original post was fairly inflammatory and amounts to no more than "I don't like thing and everyone needs to know!" Don't make posts like that.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

uncertain posted:

This isn't a very big thing but... I just noticed that Reading Lists are now in alphabetical order. Is there any chance of getting that back to chronological? The new order no longer really helps find things I can't remember the name of, which is 95% of my searches. I can generally remember roughly how long ago I've read something, so the old ordering was more convenient.

You should probably amend this to ask for the option of chronological sorting. This is a change that quite a few people have asked for for quite awhile.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Kanelel posted:

What is it with anime girls and cockroaches? They're not even in the top ten scariest bugs imo.

Cockroaches are one of the more understandable ones. I don't have any particular fear of bugs but I'd rank them with centipedes, silverfish, and the actually dangerous venomous spiders in terms of bugs whose fears are justifiable. Cockroaches and silverfish are strongly associated with filthy living conditions, at least in the West. Centipedes can be aggressive as well as being venomous. And then dangerous venomous spiders, such as black widows or brown recluses in the area I live or some of the spiders in Australia, are also understandable since they're, well, dangerous. Certainly far more justified than my mother's fear of moths. She's deathly afraid of moths to the point where I'm pretty sure everyone on the same block can hear her when she sees one.

I'd also consider ants somewhat justifiable (less fear and revulsion than just annoyance though) in my area because ants are ridiculously common here. From what I've heard, the entire area I live in is basically one big supercolony of ants so they're all over the place and get into everything so they're kind of a real pest at times here.

The least justifiable one when it comes to having underlying logic is a general fear of spiders in my opinion. Most spiders aren't dangerous to humans and on top of that are even helpful since they'll help deal with annoying bugs. I've got a spider living somewhere in/on/around my desk that I see crawl across my monitor at least once a week or so but I just leave it alone since it's not a pest.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

IrishBlend posted:

IrishBlend posted:

Tbf, I never said Rei is a psychopath. There’s a significant difference between psychopaths and sociopaths.

This is flat out wrong. Psychopathy = sociopathy = anti-social personality disorder. They're just terms that succeeded one another due to psycopathy and, eventually, sociopathy becoming more associated with serial killers than general sociopaths.

It isn't wrong, there's an overlap but they're still two separate things: https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-sociopath-380184#:~:text=The%20Difference%20Between%20Sociopath%20and,when%20it%20suits%20their%20needs.

Or another article here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7236162/ which has a segment that says, "Psychopathy is characterized by features that are not diagnostic criteria for AsPD, such as lack of empathy, arrogance and excessive vanity. Thus, not every psychopath necessarily has an antisocial personality disorder, but the construct psychopathy may include different traits of various types of personality disorders."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

both manuals provide similar criteria for diagnosing the disorder.[9] Both have also stated that their diagnoses have been referred to, or include what is referred to, as psychopathy or sociopathy.

Some might use the terms to mean different things but that doesn't change the fact that the general consensus is that they are the same.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

IrishBlend posted:

Tbf, I never said Rei is a psychopath. There’s a significant difference between psychopaths and sociopaths.

This is flat out wrong. Psychopathy = sociopathy = anti-social personality disorder. They're just terms that succeeded one another due to psycopathy and, eventually, sociopathy becoming more associated with serial killers than general sociopaths.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yuri Yuriyuri posted:

Aww Claire is a softie deep down, but i suppose we knew that already.

I think Claire's actually quite an interesting character. She's proud, arrogant, and classist but she's clearly intelligent and has a significant level of integrity as well. For example, there's the interaction between her and Rei where Rei says that one of the things she admires about Claire is how she doesn't force others to do her dirty work for her and she's right. Usually characters like Claire tend to rely on others to do their dirty work for them because they view it as beneath them. And in my opinion, she only becomes more interesting as a character the further we get in the story. I started out hating her but awhile back when I read through the translation of the web novel, by the end she was my favorite character.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

thomasina posted:

I did get a glimpse of the sequel. Although honesty you do not even need the sequel to know rhe answre. It is obviouus.
In any case the two of them started dating in the sequel.

You need to use spoilers if you're going to post something that would count as one. You can review this post if you need help figuring out how to use spoiler tags. I'll let you off with a warning this time even though it sounds like someone else recently banned you for doing this same thing but don't let it happen again.

Giftnova posted:

I did get a glimpse of the sequel. Although honesty you do not even need the sequel to know rhe answre. It is obviouus.
In any case the two of them started dating in the sequel.

You've literally just been banned for a day bc you keep putting up spoilers without warning or view blocking them and you're already doing it again?

For future reference, you should make sure to edit spoiler tags into your quotes or edit the spoilered content out when replying to posts like this.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

BoobTwinkler posted:

I had meant to say something about the others too but got distracted by someone talking to me. My point overall, however, was that everyone needs to be civil and if your post can be unintentionally construed as not civil then you need to be more careful about how you make your posts.

I would actually like to hear what you have to say about my posts, as I was intentionally trying to be civil and clinical about it. If I handled it poorly, I'd like to know what I should have done instead.

Your posts were perfectly fine so no need to worry.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Anschlr posted:

I mean Alice if you're going to make it an issue with me, and not with the two dudes aggressively getting in my face, I might as well just say fuck you and have my account banned right here.

I had meant to say something about the others too but got distracted by someone talking to me. My point overall, however, was that everyone needs to be civil and if your post can be unintentionally construed as not civil then you need to be more careful about how you make your posts.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

You seem to have gotten the wrong thread. This thread is in regards to the site itself.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

elevown posted:

@ 856600 I didnt attack the author- OR you- meerly defended someone elses right slag the author off for writing a story they though sucked for whatever reason.. Exactly like how you slagged them off for writing something you thought sucked.. Feel free to attack me if thats your thing.

Personally i'd rather say a story sucked if it did than whoever wrote it but thats me.

Rule #4:

Insulting scanlators or artists is unacceptable, and will result in your comment and possibly you being removed from the forum. They work hard to bring us the yuri we love, and they don’t need abuse for it. Do not ask, plead, or beg for more or quicker releases. It may be acceptable to seek an update on a series that appears to be sitting dormant, but always do so respectfully. Anyone found to be violating this rule may be subject to permanent removal from the site.

In this case, it sounds like they weren't trying to insult the author but make a joke so it can slide but they should keep in mind that they should make jokes like that a bit more obvious.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

luinthoron posted:

But looks like there's also a new spambot to keep this post still relevant.

Taken care of.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Xyeed posted:

I am surpsied when asked what do commoners do the guy taxes instead of the all important FOOD. I love to see these aristocrates try farming and how much actual backbreaking work it takes.

In a medieval setting, taxes would include more than money. Much of the taxes farmers pay are part of their yearly harvest, for example.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Random Wanderer posted:

Girl gets knocked over and nearly suffers a serious disfiguring injury.

Customer who was sitting right there watching the whole thing: "Hey! Why haven't our orders arrived yet?!"

Jackass.

Just seems like your average customer to me. There's a reason why most people hate having any sort of customer-facing job.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

OrangePekoe posted:

MZH posted:

It would be useful if clicking on the forum topic button for a chapter went to the first unread post instead of the first post--the same way clicking on topic titles in the forum works.

Yeah...totally agree. I'll pass it along.

In the mean time, the Dynasty Thingifier userscript adds this functionality for anyone who doesn't want to wait for a site update.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Young Blasarius posted:

Spam: https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=71624

I also think with the number of recent spam reports, we might need a seperate spam reporting thread.

Removed them.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Dan0 posted:

My friend suggested a method to hold my breath for 20 seconds and the hiccups pass. But Nanoha method is also good

The method I've always used is to take as deep a breath as possible and hold it for as long as you can. It works like 95% of the time for me.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Honk mikan posted:

^
Really? I thought it was pretty much the same.

It is the same except for the fact the anime only covers the first half of the manga. And not even the best parts at that.