"---and then Vivio became a ground-based brawler instead, the end."

Skyrin
Wet Sisters discussion 09 Dec 01:33
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

That is some wet pussy alright.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

What's with all the "wear some shoes already" lines. Surely she meant socks...?

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Rokuroichi does not disappoint. Now to re-read 'I want to lock you up'.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

"Won't that be fine if you go to France?" always amused me.

There was also this joke continuation.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

"Wash your neck and wait for me"? Hmm Game of Thrones reference ?

Only if they watched GoT back in samurai times.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Who the hell cut this... I like the story but it's just so... WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THE FORMATTING?!

It is not meant to be viewed one "page" at a time like it is presented here, the whole thing is simply cut into uniform size images. Works just fine in webtoon format if you read it on batoto for example.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Refreshing! This is a set of tags I can get behind.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Color me surprised that the ex did not walk in on them being all snug there together.

... yet.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Hmmmmm, okay then. Interested to see what the epilogue has.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I agree that this seems a bit hard to read at times, though still mostly understandable. Is it just me though, or does the pacing also seem oddly meandering for the page count so far? I am just usually fine with a relaxed pace so it felt a bit off.

With that said, gosh darn the amount of cute on display. Seems like a pretty interesting premise too, interested to see where the story goes from here.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

To Dynasty staff, it might be a bit late but I apologize if this sort of offtopic (but not really..?) is frowned upon here, not like we are discussing the actual work. I rather got more into this conversation than I expected. The somewhat nebulous state of NanoFate, from my perspective anyway, has always been more of an amusing quirk than anything, and so I hope this still looks like all in good fun and not an argument!

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

but more so on level of directness we would prefer

If you ask me, I believe most yuri fans and very likely most Nanoha fans would prefer a series about NanoFate cuddling all day than whatever we're getting in the new Vivid Strike anime, but we know that is not the niche of seinen, a Sakura Trick 2.0 would be hard to sell too.

You are probably right. I would simply prefer something good, but it does not look like we are getting that with Vivid Strike. For the record I do not think Vivid is that great either.

they could just as easily be described as "really good friends" and it would not change much

For that I believe you will have to at least change their permanent living arrangements and dedicate a few pages to them getting a divorce and negotiating the custody of their daughter.

Fate seems to mostly be away for work (and friends can live together), they did not dedicate any pages to them getting married either, and they were both a mama to Vivio in Strikers regardless of any official custody status. Look, I am just playing devil's advocate here and looking at this from a perspective of someone who has always looked at Nanoha and Fate as friends, and continues to do so. I think it is a plausible scenario.

I continue to believe that a certain level of vagueness on the topic is very much intended

That has been the case since the first anime, Nanoha has never shown explicit romance on screen for any of the canon couples, even the straight ones, and this is very common for most anime outside of the romance genre when you think about it. Nanoha and Fate are by far the couple with the most on-screen romance in the franchise even if it's still not overly explicit, and this is all in a big part only because they're the couple with the most combined screen time through all series, not because Masaki Tsuzuki wants to move to the romance genre.

Okay we are going in circles with this, but I am not talking vagueness as imposed by genre. Yes you are absolutely right, Nanoha is not a romance, and as you say the relationship will most likely never be addressed directly. But do you really, honestly believe that is entirely because of the genre, and not because the creators do not want to commit to it 100% (again, for various possible reasons)?

It is not like I am expecting sloppy makeouts in every scene. Here's a thought, why not make Nanoha and Fate wear rings? It would be subtle yet effective, not putting romance on the forefront yet still making things crystal clear. It would not change characters dynamics, nor would it distract from things the story actually tries to focus on. But they will not, and it is not because Nanoha is not a romance story.

For example, I could see Love Live fans use that for Maki and Nico (just to pick an obvious example)

I'm not so familiar with Love Live, but I guess the difference is that Maki and Nico are not a canon couple, there are feelings hinted and at most you can say feelings of romantic nature from one or the other are written as subtext (though I probably wouldn't agree with this last statement, but that's just my opinion), but there isn't a relationship written as subtext or text.

Yes that about sums it up. My point was only that people use the word subtext somewhat haphazardly.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

canon or not, i don't as long as they're cuddling each other <3

Ahaha, I think we can all get behind that!

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Hmm I guess we are not disagreeing so much on what we have actually been provided by the creators, but more so on level of directness we would prefer. And that is fine. I still maintain that while the characters and their relationship can be read as you describe, and in fact I prefer to do so, they could just as easily be described as "really good friends" and it would not change much. So in that way I continue to believe that a certain level of vagueness on the topic is very much intended, beyond the fact that they are not the main characters in more recent media anymore.

Also I will give you the literal definition of the word subtext, but people definitely use that word in a different sense and quite often too. So my apologies but when you say things like "subtext couple" my mind easily goes to "hopeful fans with their yuri goggles" first, even if that was not the intent. For example, I could see Love Live fans use that for Maki and Nico (just to pick an obvious example), but that is hardly as done a deal as NanoFate. And not just because they can not be married yet because high school, heh.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

NanoFate has been canon for a long time, people in the west call them a subtext couple since it's shown and implied through events rather than stating "and by the way they have been together since 9", but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the biggest canon yuri couple during the later part of last decade, at least their presence seems to indicate that way. Even their marriage was made canon after getting hinted for a long time, due to Japan's adoption laws and the way they sneakily upgraded Fate's status after StrikerS to be Vivio's guardian alongside Nanoha, that was a reason for celebration back then.

But that is the whole point isn't it? You use terms like "implied", "seems to indicate" and "sneakily", all of which make me feel that there is canon and then there is canon. No matter what kind of tacit acceptance the creators give "off camera", the fact is they never refer to Nanoha and Fate as a couple in something like Vivid, let alone have them kiss or simply say "I love you". Implications and teasing cover art only go so far, and it is a bit sad that fandom has to make due with celebrating any tiny morsel they can get.

It is obvious to anyone paying attention that Nanoha and Fate are a couple, with Vivio they are a family, but I can not help but feel that their relationship is purposefully being kept just vague enough. How much of that is due to gender politics in Japan and how much a simple merchandising issue though, who can say.

last edited at Nov 14, 2016 8:28AM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Ah Nanoha and Fate. Is there any other ship that ever was shipped in existence that is more universally accepted but not technically canon? I mean the way they are portrayed in official media and art and still not outright confirmed to be together is rather ridiculous. At this point word-of-god could come down proclaiming Nanoha marrying Yuuno in the end or something and it would be summarily dismissed by most of the fandom.

All that aside, this was a cute one :3

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Calculating Nico x Reversal Maki is good too.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I liked that the usual character types where switched around a bit here. At least in my experience, the girl stumbling onto the scene of makeouts would typically be the timid, inexperienced, easily flustered type. Here though, Ira is more like "ufufu jackpot!". So that was nice.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

tbh im ToukoXNanami to death

I'm hoping you didn't mix up the names, cus shipping Nanami with herself is kind of a hilarious thought

Well then again, that is one way to prevent anyone from tying her down with annoyances such as love!

Sayaka was pretty great here once again, but the faster the good ship SS SayakaxTouko crashes the better for her I feel.

Skyrin
Beloved L discussion 03 Nov 03:46
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

A Nanoha doujin with Yuuno in it? I didn't even know those existed.

Seriously, I was surprised as well!

I still need to watch the 3rd season. Got part way, just need to finish it.

Have fun. I wish I could watch it for the first time again.

The thing about StrikerS is that while I did enjoy it, at the same time I wish they had trimmed it down. The good parts are really good, but it has a lot of bloat in it too, particularly an excessive amount of inconsequential antagonists. There are like 5 plot lines running simultaneously in that sucker.

That is why I have always wanted StrikerS to receive a movie treatment like the first two seasons. I think the first movie was basically on par with the TV show, they both had their good parts, but the A's movie really hit it out of the park. It focused on the things that mattered (like Hayate's relationship with Vita & co, and better establishing the friendship between Hayate, Nanoha and Fate) and excised the things that did not. If only StrikerS could get a movie version as good.

Skyrin
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Well that ended abruptly.

Skyrin
Ai☆biki discussion 26 Oct 04:35
Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I liked the (^o^)/END!, happy feels to everyone.

last edited at Oct 26, 2016 4:36AM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

shirobako's shipping is more like-- "man these characters have a strong bond and you could definitely see them going out in the background and the show wouldn't make a big deal of it because that's not what it's about" ig? It's very non-baity in the traditional sense, more about "here's killer realistic interactions between people who fit together" which is nice!!

Sure, that works!