Forum › Posts by Tara

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

That's a very specific fetish.

It's joke.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Was there a new chapter or something that hasn't been uploaded yet or are people just speculating from the most recent chapter's cliffhanger?

Tara
Image Comments 24 Apr 12:33
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018
Tumblr_p7e90p0rlz1ukbyx0o1

I love this art style on these characters a lot.

Tara
Image Comments 24 Apr 12:30
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018
Ki61c05

Nico, you fucking piece of shit.
I love these two so much lmao

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

The thought of Hanamaru thinking she's not good enough for something--anything--legitimately breaks my heart. Please protec her, Dia.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Short, but super sweet! So cute!

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Look, we don't fuck around when it comes to fictional girls having sex, okay??!!

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Reejun posted:

I haven't seen the raws but I guess "noble" is translated from 尊い in which case that's otaku slang and doesn't really mean "noble".

Thinking maybe "precious" or "sacred" would probably have been a better choice of wording.

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

So, I went back to re-read it and I didn't quite get the impression that she was saying "A relationship where you haven't done anything but kiss is noble, unlike those relationships where you DO have sex." This could be me forcing my own interpretation onto it, but the way I read it was more like "It is noble to still be in this relationship, DESPITE only having kissed." Basically, understanding that humans have urges, and for them to still be in love, despite having not done anything more than kissing is noble. This is, of course, disregarding the idea that they might simply be an asexual couple, but asexual representation is already so sparse and hard to come by, even members of the LGBT community tend to be pretty ignorant about it.

I feel like the girl's comments about her non-sexual relationship being "pure" were supposed to be seen as funny. Like, perhaps SHE was being serious, but the person that's supposed to be author, to me anyway, appears to be making a face that suggests "Wait, are you serious?" Her hypocrisy is supposed to be humorous, not taken as some kind of gospel.

To me, this comic isn't making a statement on the purity of sex, even comedically. For most couples, sex is an important part of the relationship, enough so that it can make or break it. For them to have an attitude of "we don't really need it" is probably what she's interested in. The idea that the love extends beyond sexual urges, which is what the author feels is noble.

That isn't to say I necessarily agree with this message, either, in that I feel like sex can have varying degrees of importance depending on the individuals in question. But I don't feel like it's trying to say that couples who choose to have sex are impure, unclean, or whatever else.

Tara
Mission D discussion 23 Apr 15:34
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

EliMaki isn't my ship but this is super cute!

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

I'm always happy to have a little bit of both NicoMaki and HonoMaki on such a momentous occasion. My two woefully conflicting OTP's. Love is hard.

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Now I want to know what a sakura latte tastes like.

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Yeah, I, don't think we're supposed to see this as some kind of inspiring message about purity or anything. It's just an author telling a funny story. I feel like maybe if there were more than two pages, there would be more time for the joke to breathe and thus be communicated more clearly. But the fact that it's so short and abrupt has made it sort of confusing.

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Vankomycin posted:
Prism has, so far, the best depiction of awkward first time teenage sex I've seen.

Hanjuku Joshi is a close second, though.

Thank you! I'll have to check these out!!

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Nezchan posted:

Also remembering that the author said early on that their editor insisted sex was out in the magazine version of Hiarai, but was okay when they moved to the online version with the last few chapters.

I'm not too familiar with the behind-the-scenes stuff of Kase-san so I was not aware of that, though I don't think it would have changed TOO much in terms of the manga's pacing even if there wasn't an embargo on sex.

Tara
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

I think when people say that sex in yuri manga is the "end goal," they're not referring to the act of the characters having sex as the ultimate end goal. They're referring to when the AUDIENCE gets to SEE it. Going back to Kase-san, it's no coincidence that they waited until the final chapter of the manga's -INITIAL RUN- for them to do it. (Remembering that "Yamada and Kase-san" is a sequel, not the initial series) Multiple ships in Strawberry Panic are seen having sex only towards the tail end of the series, even if they have explicitly been mentioned if not shown to have had past sexual history. In Girl Friends, Akko and Mari don't have sex until the very end of the series. And the list goes on.

While it's true that in Japan and many other parts of the world, sexuality is considered "impure," and virgins are cherished for their perceived "innocence," I believe that's only one part of the problem here. Sex isn't withheld solely because of its connotations as a perceived loss of innocence, but also as a metaphor. In virtually every romance, the end goal is for each member of the relationship to come to a mutual understanding. When after many long chapters of conflict, the two characters finally come to an understanding and express their mutual love through intimacy. During intercourse, their bodies and their souls are laid bare, so that their partner may truly understand them, literally inside and out. The members of the relationship come to understand how the other feels, what they're really hiding beneath the mask and layers of clothing and/or makeup.

It's an effective metaphor, I think, and a powerful statement of how simultaneously simple and complex a relationship can be, having layers that are both primal and relatable to virtually every human while also having unique, introspective layers that only the participants can truly understand.

My problem isn't really with the idea of sex as an end goal for the reader (though it is a delicate balance that can easily be done wrong, and has been done wrong on countless occasions) as much as the unrealistic portrayals of sex that seem to be more catered toward making it visually appealing than actually integral to the plot. The mass media in general (in ALL parts of the world) tends to show sex as just the best gosh darn thing ever and if you haven't had it yet, then wow you're really missing out! And if you ever had a bad sexual experience, then you're going to be the laughing stock of the entire Girl Community forever!! What I'd like is if more shows demonstrated a first time experience with sex as how it normally is: That is, awkward, often uncomfortable, but nevertheless a learning experience. Not something that fundamentally changes who you are or your place in the world, but just one of the many stepping stones you will encounter as you grow and develop as a person.

And in my opinion, more than just serving the narrative, leaving in the nuances and awkwardities of sex makes it more appealing even if all you're looking for is something to get off to. It adds dynamic and charm to the encounter, gives you more thoughts and ideas to explore, etc. Because humans aren't perfect and sex is done by humans, then sex shouldn't be, either. It should have ups, downs. Funny moments, heartwarming moments, sometimes it can be sad, sometimes it can be contemplative. There's just so much you can do with sex as a plot device aside from "oh yeh feels so gewd." It feels like a sort of waste of narrative potential, especially in a series like Kase-san, where exploring one's sexual identity is such a prominent aspect of the characters. And Kase-san is one of my favorite manga ever, so I don't say that to put it down, just to note that it could have been better in this regard, as could many of my favorite yuri stories.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Heavensrun posted:
Yeah, a lot of people overlook the strong foreshadowing. It's not a mistake that Risako shows up right at the end of that conversation (late, as if she was...busy with something?)

That's sort of the downside to an ongoing series that updates monthly rather than weekly. Even if the foreshadowing is pretty plainly there, unless you're binge reading from the beginning or enjoy frequently revisiting old chapters, it's really easy to forget little touches like that, so it still -feels- random.

That might be more of a me thing, but it's one of the more specific reasons I wish these kinds of series would have chapters that are more self-contained.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

I may be thinking of a different story, but IIRC, weren't Kaoru and Ryuichi in a relationship in their youth before breaking up and getting back together again? It's been awhile since I read the early chapters of this series, so I could be totally wrong, but I remember their relationship being described as strained even then. It's not difficult to fall into the trap of becoming dependent on a previous relationship, no matter how unsuccessful and toxic it may have been. Even the smartest and most independent of people find themselves in these kinds of mental traps.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

I hope this doesn't build up only for it to be dismissed next chapter. That kind of thing gets to me.

Same. I'm ready to see this plot finally progress.

That being said, this was a nice, cozy chapter and I look forward to the next.

Tara
Forum Rules 21 Apr 13:19
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Alice Cheshire posted:

At the very least preventing consecutive posts by the same person in a single thread would be a big help. It's kinda of obnoxious going into a thread only to see someone make 2-6 posts all within a short span because they seem to be completely unaware of the existence of the edit button.

I recall in the early to mid 2000's, when dedicated message boards were still somewhat in their infancy, double posting was often a punishable offense (though usually not ban-worthy, provided it wasn't done in direct insubordination). Modern spam prevention tools and shifting attitudes on forum moderation in general have sort of made these kind of measures obsolete, but I wouldn't be opposed to having some kind of enforcement on prioritizing the edit button over creating a new post altogether.

Tara
Image Comments 21 Apr 08:46
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018
45520003_p0

Everyone Loves Nico-Chan.

Tara
Forum Rules 21 Apr 08:35
Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

While I don't have any experience with the user in question, I have to agree that this kind of thing is really disruptive and I don't think it would be acceptable in any other forums I've ever frequented. Granted, Dynasty is a bit of a different beast (being a sort of hybrid between a comments section and an actual discussion forum) but it's still pretty disruptive to the flow of conversation. I don't know anything about how DS operates, but might it be possible to enact some sort of restriction on consecutive posts by the same user? Nothing big. Maybe just like a few minutes between posts? It would probably dissuade people from flooding, or at the very least, allow other conversations to catch up while they're on their commenting spree, as opposed having the aforementioned 10+ pages of the same user with little to no effort.

Also worth a note is that comment flooding can be strenuous on the server, though I don't think one user is capable of doing that on their own without outside tools. But I do think it's worth looking into for reasons aside from being mildly annoying.

last edited at Apr 21, 2018 1:09PM

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

I'm planning on revisiting Kase-san in May to prepare for the upcoming OVA. The series started out as a cute little manga I would read in my spare time and has quickly became one of my favorites!

I'm currently re-reading Girl Friends because I recently bought the collection physically. Still probably my favorite manga of all time, despite some glaring issues I have with the plot and the pacing. It's also the first yuri that I actually went out of my way to buy. Not that I wouldn't have bought other yuri manga in the past, but manga is expensive, you know.

There's quite a few Love Live doujins that I really enjoy, to the point where I can't even remember the name of a lot of them. Off the top of my head, I quite enjoy No. 1. By that I mean, it's my absolute favorite Love Live doujin and one of my favorite doujins in general. I really appreciate any doujin that puts Nico and Maki in a position that is both comedic as well as dramatic, showing that they can be argumentative as well as extremely sensitive. Basically, I like when they give this ship a variety of different angles, as opposed to just focusing on the tsundere nature of the two characters.

Spring Premiere is another really good one. Maki x Riko is technically not something I really ship, but I adore the way that this doujin manages to paint a realistic picture of the two of them, giving them a unique chemistry that exists outside of "they're both pianists, therefore couple!" It's a very beautifully told story of a fleeting, temporary relationship, done expertly to two characters that will probably never interact in such a way, and it's surprisingly believable all the way through.

She's Cute. I really like Maki. Is that not obvious?

For something slightly different, I often revisit This One Goes Out to All the 17-Year-Olds. A very dramatic but very pretty Dia x Kanan doujin.

Moving away from Love Live, whenever I'm having a bad day, I can always count on Bright and Cheery Amnesia to cheer me up with its infinite amount of charm and wit.

last edited at Apr 19, 2018 1:56PM

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

I didn't know this existed. I'll have to remember to try downloading this later.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

KalzCarvalho posted:

What's the opposite of "Be careful what you wish for?"

"Dont be careful what you wish for"? :v