Forum › Posts by themusicman500

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Okay.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Mochi's stuff is just the same thing over and over, way too short due to their lack of an attention span, and the art is barely a step above stick figures. Why are we all pretending to like it? We're not helping anyone by lowering our standards to this extreme point, we're just enabling laziness.

This begs to be a copypasta.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

That was good.

themusicman500
Yuri☆Kome discussion 11 Feb 03:09
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I'm very surprised by this one, in a good way. I was convinced the story was going to be random nonsense, and it turns out the author actually has something to say after all.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

The cute catgirl manga is back. Anyone know if there'll be actual romance between Ayano and Yuki?

themusicman500
1 x ½ discussion 06 Feb 20:24
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Whoa, it's actually happening. The mom likes the daughter back. This story has guts.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I don't know how I feel about Mami continuing to call Nagisa "Bebe" after she takes human form. It's a little distressing somehow.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

So where is the line between good characters that are beloved, and good Merry Sues that are despised?

It's the extent to which the character is overly successful at everything they do, vs. mainly succeeding at 1-2 things they focus on at a time like real life humans.

All Ena has done is handle her girlfriend in a reasonable manner. A very attainable goal, but still an admirable one.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I think this is a sweet wish fulfillment story. It's no masterpiece, but the concept is very romantic and the art is cute. Might be one of my personal favorites. I'll keep an eye on this author.

last edited at Feb 2, 2018 3:24AM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

koneko posted:

so tsubomi the one kiss Hana?

No, it was Kuki. If you notice in Yuri Family (the original doujin), the only one who is silent about the whole situation was Kuki when the rest were thinking something along the lines of "A kiss with Hana, that's hot" and once it's revealed that Hana wants another kiss in return, Kuki admits it immediately, instead of the rest volunteering fake replies to try to get a kiss with Hana.

Eh, that's one way to read it, but I saw Kuki's straightforward admission as just being her own version of the fake reply, preserving the joke of no one knowing who kissed Hana, or if anyone kissed Hana at all.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

i have a question, do you think there will be an other film? rebellion ending is not bad, and sure is original, but i can only immagine the dissatisfaction of the true fans, i-m sure they could avoid suicide only thanks to the fanworks
but now, the next madoka film must have a plot totally different from every fanwork ever made

I think there's a greater than 50% chance there'll be another one. If they do, they'll definitely come up with something interesting. That said, Rebellion stands on it's own as a great (and very sad) ending to the series if the decide not to make anything else.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Yeah, it's tragic for Homura but not for everyone else. Homura basically sacrificed her happiness and plunged herself into despair for the sake of Madoka's ( and everyone else's) happiness. She basically did the same thing Madoka did and because god of magical girls but instead of her taking on the despair of Magical girls she gives it to Kyubey, but she herself goes into despair because she'll never be able to be with Madoka. It's basically the hero sacrificing them self for the one they love, not tragic but rather bittersweet.

Homura's story ends tragically, due to her own inescapable flaws, much like in Oedipus Rex. Regardless of any moral judgments one might make about Homura's actions, the ending, from her viewpoint, is not bittersweet but eternally depressing. Since the movie is really about her and not the world as a whole, I'd call it an archetypal tragedy.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

^The happiness-level of the plot of the movie is ambiguous and up to the viewer to decide on, that's true. But I was referring to the deal Homura got at the end. She finally figured out a way to have Madoka alive as a human, but now she can't be with her and feel her warmth and love, which is what she truly wanted from the start. She's stuck being an "evil" being without the reward she desperately hoped for, so she falls face-first off a cliff in despair."

themusicman500
Image Comments 28 Jan 06:10
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016
20140456_p0

I don't get it. Why did a small guile flash kick Homura's tissue?

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

^Now that's awesome.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Some people like fiction that doesn't depict reality in the average daily life of an individual.

Fair enough, but why would you dislike fiction for accurately reflecting real interpersonal relationships? People often don't give a reason why they think something is bad, so the implication is that they think it's unbelievable or unrealistic. When that's not in fact the case, the criticism is totally unclear and unfair.

last edited at Jan 28, 2018 3:21AM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Fact: all criticism is automatically rendered invalid, if you just claim the work is

REALISTIC.

Works every time!

But if an element of a work accurately reflects real life, what's the basis for that element being called "bad" or faulty writing?

themusicman500
Image Comments 27 Jan 22:10
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016
Tumblr_ob53pdsicy1rtwnh4o1_raw

Had to stop playing Pokemon go because I couldn't decide who to go with.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Post-Rebellion stuff always have this depressing feeling. Even if the ending is happy, you can't help, but feel weird.

Considering the most likely interpretation of Rebellion's ending is Homura's interpersonal relationship with Madoka is over, for good I'd call this an optimistic take.

last edited at Jan 27, 2018 7:40PM

themusicman500
Citrus discussion 27 Jan 06:21
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Well essentially ALL relationships are prostitution then, as they are ALL about exchanging something for something else, including sex.
And in the end "arranged" is simply one method for "meeting" someone else. And in the end it doesn't matter how you meet others, it's how you treat them after you meet them that counts.

Certainly an arranged marriage where the participants have no say in the matter would be a type of abuse akin to kidnapping, but from what I know or have heard about it the participants in an "arranged" marriage do get to decide if they want to go ahead with the "arrangement".

I mean the grandfather is deeply flawed but the discourse here is overly categorical. It may seem illogical for Mei to act the way she does, but the simple fact is people usually don't act in a logical manner regarding matters of emotion. People have explained why they feel Mei's behavior can be understood and why the grandfather's behavior may not be solely out of malice or greed. It's perfectly fine for you disagree, but you can't see every story you read as only having one possible interpretation. And if you insist that others must do so, you'll drive everyone crazy

last edited at Jan 27, 2018 6:27AM

themusicman500
Beloved L discussion 27 Jan 05:43
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I think that authors must explore disturbing themes, because it's the only way to understand what's right and what's wrong.

Isn't that a bit simplistic? Aren't there things are neither right nor wrong, or impossible to determine objectively?

But I'm not agree with the outcomes of this manga. And I think most of the readers just don't care, because it looks awesome. That's my point.

On what grounds do you disagree with the story? And how do you know readers aren't aware of the themes of the story? As far as I can tell most understand them just fine.

themusicman500
Beloved L discussion 27 Jan 04:47
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

It’s ok for a teenage character to do whatever. Nobody expects from a 16yo girl to know anything about life, besides her own experience. It seems legit.
But doctor...

I think that's one of if not THE main thing the author is playing with here.

I think that it's a good story, which is also gorgeously drawn and the characters are very believable.
But the perception of the story by readers - that's what pisses me off.
Just like Joker x Harley fans, who find their relationships romantic and stay happy as long as Harley finds a way to achieve even a small piece of happiness from her crazy and abusive boyfriend.

Even if some people don't see the story in a balanced way, is it really so bad for readers to find and enjoy the beauty in it in spite of its ugliness? If you're familiar with the VN Saya no Uta, that's a story that takes themes like this to an extreme; a romance with so many obviously horrible things about it, yet still one that is beautiful in a way, and can be empathized with.

Joker x Harley on the other hand is terrible and has zero redeeming qualities the way it's usually written

last edited at Jan 27, 2018 4:48AM

themusicman500
Beloved L discussion 27 Jan 04:25
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

It’s ok for a teenage character to do whatever. Nobody expects from a 16yo girl to know anything about life, besides her own experience. It seems legit.
But doctor...

I think that's one of if not THE main thing the author is playing with here.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

This story has been dragging its goat hooves and that seems to continue still. Ah well, there is always the option of ignoring everything after the original one-shot depending on the outcome.

While it is a slow paced story, It's also fairly short with an infrequent release schedule, which I think is magnifying the negative feelings towards it. I think it's pretty good personally, I can really see this scenario happening to a person with low self-esteem and causing a lot of heartbreak on all sides.

If this whole manga were released all at once, and not so long after the original one-shot, it would just be a relatively short and sweet story with some drama.

last edited at Jan 27, 2018 6:12AM

themusicman500
Beloved L discussion 27 Jan 04:06
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

The age gap stories are meant for teenagers. Because they can fantasize about saving adults from their adult problems, just by being young and “brave”. And as a reward, adult recognize them as an equal. At least in love.
But if you look at it from the prospective of a major characer, it’s like: I have issues, that I can solve by sleeping with an underage.
You wouldn’t even say “Hello” to such person if you meet him or her on the street. But if someone draw such person witth a beautyfull style, the whole situation suddenly becomes wonderfull. It’s sad.
And in this case, reference to Leon is just a bad joke.

Perception of whether a person is "good" or has a "good personality" has a lot to do with how pretty their face is, unfortunately. I think that's a good point, but even taking looks completely out of the equation, it's just as true that this kind of relationship is almost always bad in real life, but perhaps good in the context of this story.

As a devil's advocate argument, couldn't the reason the doctor's good looks matter, be that it makes it more believable for the teenage character to actually WANT to be with her? For instance, when most people see a 21 year old fashion model with an ugly older man, they assume she's in it for the money, but if the older man was very attractive, they might be less tempted to assume that.

last edited at Jan 27, 2018 4:13AM