Forum › About Official Matters discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I love these stories where Reimu is unsure of herself after defining herself by her position or duties for so long. I think more than her laziness or poverty or high power level, this is where the most interesting dramatic stories lie. Of course it helps to have a talented mangaka like Personal Colour to bring that out in this case.

Dorohedoro_noi_big_smile
joined Feb 24, 2015

I love these stories where Reimu is unsure of herself after defining herself by her position or duties for so long. I think more than her laziness or poverty or high power level, this is where the most interesting dramatic stories lie. Of course it helps to have a talented mangaka like Personal Colour to bring that out in this case.

I agree. It makes for a very interesting dynamic and some conflict between duty and personal feelings.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Really loved this story. I think ZUN once said that he avoids writing stories from Reimu's perspective because even he doesn't understand what goes on in her head, but still needs to feature her as a vital part of Touhou's world. There's been hundreds of character profiles about her, official and unofficial, but she still feels enigmatic and fluid, impossible to get a grip on beyond her official capacity and surface traits. Reimu herself is also rarely introspective, because she simply follows her natural instincts and official mandates, but this just creates a greater potential for dilemmas when she runs into conundrums that can't be resolved by danmaku. And Yukari plays off this brilliantly, since she's a foil to Reimu in every way- purple is the opposite side of the spectrum from red, the gap youkai is the polar opposite of a boundary-maintaining miko, and Yukari's surface mysteriousness often conceals interesting hints of humanity, whilst Reimu's seeming simplicity veils just how alien her thought process can be. When you take all these elements and merge them into a wonderfully poignant series of interactions, you get one of the best Touhou doujins I've come across in recent memory.

To reply you must either login or sign up.