Forum › When the Calm Ends discussion

Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

So is it that she abandons her in the end or am I misreading

Shadowofdimentio
Madoka%202
joined May 13, 2018

For both, their entire world was swallowed by the sea. One metaphorically... one not so much.

Damn this was sad. Teenagers just have no idea what to do in those kind of situations (hell most adults don't), so Yuna clung onto the only two things that gave her happiness. Koma, and the end of the world. I like how so little is actually shown, because it really helps us by putting us in Koma's shoes by feeling helpless and most bullying is psychological so seeing anything would'nt super help.

Great story, never reading it again. Imma go find fluff

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

This story feels familiar, was it uploaded before at any point?

joined Nov 4, 2021

^Had the same feeling, it was uploaded in February, don't know why it's in 'Recently Added'.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

What?

joined Aug 13, 2023

So is it that she abandons her in the end or am I misreading

The end leans into visual metaphor, I think (what normal train would still be going like this, under these conditions?).

Koma realizes Yura asked her to come along on a double suicide, and that in some sense, Yura has been readying herself for it for a year, but she can't bring herself to go along with it. And so they're separated. Yura takes her own life - on top of everything else, disappointed that even Koma wouldn't accompany her.

The water rising in the train might "just" be Koma getting swallowed up by grief, but in light of "It's the same for me"... I can't make up my mind on whether I think she followed suit moments later or not.

Anyway, that's when I went a few pages back back and realized the ocean comes up as a visual for suicidal tendencies as early as page 18.

And that on page 3, the waves are "following" Yura as if they were at the beach, despite the playground equipment moments earlier - and then again on page 31, they're still at the playground, but the water rises to their ankles (a page later, they're completely dry. It's not literally water..!)

I really liked this one.

last edited at Sep 9, 2024 4:36PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.