Forum › Story Ideas I'd be Curious to See in a Yuri Manga

joined Feb 1, 2013

Not sure if I'm posting this in the proper area, but oh well...

Starting things off, while this trope doesn't actually bother me, I've noticed that like 99% of the time when I've come across either "Science Babies" or "Magic Babies", the child seems to be- without fail- a girl. Again, I'm not complaining about this, but I have multiple female family members who- more than anything- wanted a son.

I'm not going to get into ethical and social implication of this, or whether this is right or wrong. Rather, I've been thinking about what a yuri series would be like if this was somehow a factor. Comedically, there's a part of me that can't help but think it would be funny if this was lampshades in a series, where the son says something along the lines of "I know what sort of genre we're in, Mom, so I know you would have preferred to have a daughter..."

But there's also a part of me that would enjoy seeing a manga with an established couple, where one of the women just happens to have a son from a previous failed (het) relationship. I honestly believe there's real potential in exploring the whole mother-son relationship in this sort of setting. It also wouldn't even have to be some needlessly fraught drama, as I think it would be great if they had a close relationship and the son was fully supportive.

As always, I'm speaking purely from my own personal perspective (as a straight man), so I'm sorry if any of what I've written in this post is somehow out of line. This is purely just my stream of consciousness at work...

last edited at May 31, 2021 6:33AM

X5aa
joined Jul 29, 2019

I've noticed the same thing within BL mangas, if a couple or a man have a child it's often a boy. Would definitely love to see mother-son relationships in GL mangas ( ;_;)

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Well, it's not an established relationship per se, but there is this one:
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/ohana_holoholo

X5aa
joined Jul 29, 2019

^!! Adding it to the read-later list :D

To reply you must either login or sign up.