Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Just went to station with friends....

My friends were watching attentively watching a couple kissing. Pretty bizarre.

When i saw them turned out that couple was of beautiful lesbians.

.....first time i see actual lesbians.

Half of my life is completed

Whats the other half ? :P

Who knows :P

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

So since you guys have been such great company, I'll bestow upon this treat; a special early reading of my "Favorite Yuri Artist of 2016" entry that'll be posted on my blog later this year.

Enjoy ^ _ ^

especially for @Faust (Hope Im not being a bother…) and @Serena, please read this.

Note that this was specially written in advanced but chronologically set to be released in Dec*

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 8:00AM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

"purely out of research purposes" lmfao im dead
Not trying to contradict you, but rather than "realistic", I feel like they're more... human. Her characters aren't shiny, or idealistic, they're so profoundly flawed and sometimes, have such ugly desires, it's like, the opposite the usual fluff we see from many other authors. It's to the point many root against the main characters, which i think is interesting, that's how provocative they are sometimes. In a crude way, the general idea of her character that I'm left with is "look at these interesting, yet horrible girls trying to be happy..."
I remember telling friends about yuri, and sometimes saying that I love how fluffy it is, tho ofc, the genre varies in its themes. It can be fluffy. It often is, but it doesn't have to be. It can be dark, it can be destructive, it can be passionate in its chaos. These characters are girls trying to love, despite how twisted their love can be.
If one is not into darker themes, it's understandable they stay away from it. Otherwise, it can be good fun in its own way

Good to see your edit, I was wondering why you mentioned it was "last month" rather than idk, as of now, barely a week ago :P

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 12:08AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ Hmm, you're right. Human should've been the word used there ^ _ ^"

Ironically you might've actually did a better job than me describing the appeal of her works lol, I was more trying to go for a somewhat simplistic overview of the matter, if that even makes any sense.

Oh and, new avatar, featuring Meiko x Reo from Fujiyuu Sekai. Like anyone didn't see this coming

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 2:36AM

Tumblr_ogrev97nel1tx2rdco1_250
joined Nov 10, 2016

"...her works like Netsuzou Trap and “A World without Freedom”, highlights the unseen depths of human desires and emphasizes on the emotions of their respective main character’s inability to properly express their love towards their beloved, whereas in contrast her lighter entries highlights the innocence and purity that forms the other half of the spectrum when being in love; essentially, Kodama Naoko’s works reflects the potential for light and darkness in everyone as well as the ups and downs of life."

I like how you described this part. It's not too much different from what Faust said from what I understood, and provides readers with an idea in their minds of what to expect when going into reading her works, which is to be prepared for content that might be morally questionable. It makes me want to read her other works now (^ ^)

Is Fujiyuu Sekai a good read, Rina? Since you said it's your favorite work and changed your avatar again.

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 1:13AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ It's really good, and quite tear-jerking actually especially towards the end; a short and beautiful story is how I would describe it.

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 12:40AM

joined Nov 10, 2016

^ Okies! I'll read it when I have the time! Oh dear, I could be starting to see the appeal of "dark yuri" hehe

joined Sep 21, 2014

Not at all, Rina, and I think I worded it waay more simplistically than you have :P You make it sound like a legit, literary analysis, whereas I've been more casual about it and just let words randomly flow, speaking from how I felt and not entirely thinking about it.

Rina: "highlights the unseen depths of human desires and emphasizes on the emotions of their respective main character’s inability to properly express their love towards their beloved" + "Kodama Naoko’s works reflects the potential for light and darkness in everyone as well as the ups and downs of life."
Me: There are terrible people and they struggle with loving each other

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 1:00AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ I guess we're all our own greatest critics (lol), I found your explanation to be a lot more personal and clear in explaining the appeal of Kodama Naoko's works. Still, I'm glad that both you and @Serena enjoyed reading the post ^ _ ^

There's terrible people and they struggle with loving each other

I am so lucky I wasn't drinking anything when I read this XD

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 1:22AM

joined Nov 10, 2016

I think both of you did a great job in putting forth the appeal of her works (^ ^)

Rina - Your post explained it's appeal on an academic level and touched upon on how her versaility invokes realistic emotions and captures the vastness of the human psyche.

Faust - Your explanation from the viewpoint of an active consumer provided a heart-to-heart, and natural level of understanding as to why the works could appeal to some but not others.

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 1:25AM

joined Sep 21, 2014

Wow Serena, you made it sound professional again xD You have the way with words I needed when I was trying to figure out how to word an oral presentation for class, two weeks ago

Ulquiorra, remember when, on the Nanashi no Asterism thread, you were wondering who "bachou" was?
Check out the latest posts you made, who you quoted

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 2:35AM

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Wow Serena, you made it sound professional again xD You have the way with words I needed when I was trying to figure out how to word an oral presentation for class, two weeks ago

Ulquiorra, remember when, on the Nanashi no Asterism thread, you were wondering who "bachou" was?
Check out the latest posts you made, who you quoted

I did noticed. Seems like a good member. Also good at choosing memes.

joined Sep 21, 2014

As long as you share their tastes I guess? Then that's sort of good

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 2:42AM

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

As long as you share their tastes I guess? Then that's sort of good

Meh barely know him. So idk...

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

Just read Encounter Effect from Kodama Naoko and, yet again, her works are on point; I loved the scene when Miwa (which the translations oddly listed as Kiwa) started to realize that she is becoming the very sort of girl that she disliked, those that chased after love.

Now given that Miwa's initial implied attraction to girls was because she dislikes the stuff that het relationships makes a girl do, in true tradition of Kodama Naoko's works, that panel was probably to establish that even in yuri relationships, feelings such as jealousy still exists - in turn, it also establishes that Miwa was truly into girls as she continued to have relationships even after she lost contact with Ririko.

Also, I like how it ended on a hopeful and confident note that Miwa will make her feelings known to Ririko this time and won't let her go again; and, if the credits are of any indication, she actually succeeded (lol)

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 4:22AM

joined Nov 10, 2016

Thank youu~! I'm not good at presentations, I can write my thoughts out well but I need to practice for days in order to voice them properly. Stage shyness is terrible.

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 4:28AM

9bdd23b1-1e6c-4540-bdac-7a7a8d9c3658
joined Jan 19, 2014

Morning everyone =//o//= yawn it's around 11am right now, but I'm alode to sleep in cos it's Sunday ehe. I'm probably gonna go skiing today cos it's really fun! Though plans have changed for my Christmas because yesterday I heard my perants saying that my little brother has to prepare for exams so he needs to stay in London, so that means my dad will probably stay too, and it won't be a family Christmas if only I go to my grandperants TT//A//TT I hope they change their minds about this.

If anyone was wondering where I went, I dozed off again (lol)...and had yet another odd dream. From what I could remember,

I was with another girl traversing around a map trying to search for "flower portals" -pretty trippy things, they start off a slime-green ooze forming the flower then the real color; red, yellow, pink, violet or white pours out from the middle and then the scenary changes-, the last portal, the white flower, seemingly transport me back into the start of a dungeon, I got mad and vaguely recall yelling at the other girl, "Now we're back in this nightmare". As I desperately tried to navigate across the map as fast as I could, I ended up tripping and started falling, only to be saved by someone; an event that apparently was how my initial journey in this dungeon started...

For the record I am not making this up, I really did just dreamt that.

And huh, looks like everyone went to bed (lol), back to watching the Overlord Dub I guess.

Wow, senpai, your dreams always sound so interesting (~ ̄▽ ̄)~ I Wish I had dreams but I think the last one I had was like 5 months ago, I'm a heavy sleeper so I jus plump into bed and I'm gone.

Жаль как у нас сегодня не было ЧерногоKотенка (старшеи сестру) =(

А почему ты её называешь старшей сестрой? так просто интересно ;3 она что ли твоя онэ-чан?

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 6:52AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ aw :c I'm sure things will work out in the end ^ o ^

And thanks ^ - ^ I don't usually get dreams that I actually remember often (lol).

joined Jan 19, 2014

^ aw :c I'm sure things will work out in the end ^ o ^

And thanks ^ - ^ I don't usually get dreams that I actually remember often (lol).

Ahah thats probably the same with me, I do get dreams but I jus never remember them ehe. And with the Christmas thing, well I am upset, but I guess it's fine, it's important for my brother to get into a good secondary school and I'm a good onee-chan so I will understand! =/A/=

But anyways, how's your day been going Rina? 0w0

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 7:09AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ I'm playing TERA currently (lol), finally got back into the mood of playing again ^ _ ^

So since you guys have been such great company, I'll bestow upon this treat; a special early reading of my "Favorite Yuri Artist of 2016" entry that'll be posted on my blog later this year.

There's also this thing (lol). Do give it a read if you're interested~

Hope your little brother does get into a good school later! ^ o ^

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 7:11AM

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

Lol... That's funny... so French &Russian... I can read both of them and it makes me feel like I'm spying on people xD

PS I'm sorry... I don't have much time lately to answer in timely manner..

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 7:16AM

joined Jan 19, 2014

^ I'm playing TERA currently (lol), finally got back into the mood of playing again ^ _ ^

There's also this thing (lol). Do give it a read if you're interested~

Hope your little brother does get into a good school later! ^ o ^

Oh, thank you senpai Q//w//Q, I'm going out shopppppiinnggg now, I love shopping for winter cute clothes so much! getting myself a new coat and scarf and probably some kind of sweater from new look or H&M*, ehe I love shopping XD.
Also I will make sure to read your post on my way in the car ;3

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ have fun! Hope you find something cute ^ o ^

joined Jan 19, 2014

Lol... That's funny... so French &Russian... I can read both of them and it makes me feel like I'm spying on people xD

PS I'm sorry... I don't have much time lately to answer in timely manner..

Can you?! Wow that's so cool! @A@, Тогда ответь на мой вопрос почему Галич называет тебя своей старшей сестрой ? XD

I jus really wanna know ahahah

joined Jan 19, 2014

^ have fun! Hope you find something cute ^ o ^

Eheh yeh, I hope so =w= also wow! I think your post is very interesting, and of course it would be Kodama Naoko senpai XD but I think your very right about the manga feeling very human and showing off both the ups and downs of life and how sometimes there is this unseen subtext that clearly exisits in these situations. I really liked this part ehe:

And that was where I found the true appeal of her works to me, they feel realistic and rather, human. As much as the direction of Netsuzou Trap is still an enigma shrouded in anxiety and hope, it reflects reality; the worry and anxiety that comes from the unknown, the hope that comes from an intrinsic belief that things will sort out itself in the end. Kodama Naoko has blurred the line between reality and friction by developing her story in a way that constantly maintains an aura of suspense, providing little closure nor hints as to where it might go next; essentially, she is placing her audience to stand in the shoes of the focal characters, feeling the same emotions of uncertainty that they face.

I can see now why you would enjoy her artworks so much, but I guess some people like Utoptia don't agree as I've seen, which is totally fine cos everybody can have their own opinion! @w@ also, I never knew you liked Mira before! I really liked mira's work too, somthing about the art and stories that got me, my favourite Mira one was "the princess and the slave" cos it was super cute for some reason (lol) xD

To reply you must either login or sign up.