Forum › Maria Sama Ga Miteru

joined Dec 6, 2011

It was dropped by Lililicious.
Will it ever be finished?

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

From the anime I remember the ending being disappointing since the LN author hates lesbians with a passion.

joined Nov 11, 2010

The manga stopped serialization after 7 volumes corresponding roughly to the original Roses' graduation (Youko, Sei, Eriko), for a long time. It then started back up for two short volumes corresponding to the meeting/seourship between Shimako and Noriko (as part of the promotional period for, I believe, the live action movie). It is my impression that it is very unlikely that the manga will ever fully/seriously resume/start back up again.

Correspondingly, and also looking at the statements Lilicious has made about the kind of stuff/series they will be focusing on recently, I think it's pretty unlikely that Lilicious will pick the manga back up at this point.

If you want to get more of Marimite, check out the novels: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Maria-sama_ga_Miteru
There is tons of material to read there, and even still ongoing translation, thanks to the heroic efforts of Enn_are.

GendoIkari wrote

From the anime I remember the ending being disappointing since the LN author hates lesbians with a passion.

This is sheer ignorance so I would also advise you to read the novels. Marimite is one of the jewels of the yuri community, even if most of its relationships do not feature explicit lesbian interactions, due to its strength/success as an actual piece of meaningful work/characterization/literature. Marimite is situated, in many aspects, in the traditional lesbian genre, "Class S" literature, only with somewhat of a more modern/progressive outlook on society. However, seeing as a great part of the traditional Class S genre was CRITICISM of society, which treated relationships within all-girls environments as immature or transient and refused any basis for their survival in adult society, a large part of its emphasis was specifically on the doom and tragedy of its characters' genuine but impossible relationships.

As a more modern work, Marimite does not exclusively confine its stories and attitude to the despair and tragedy characteristic of traditional Class S literature, but simultaneously, it is impossible for Marimite to go flat-out and engage explicitly in real-life LGBT identity/discourse/politics because a great part of its appeal/origin is particularly in how it PRESERVES the beauty and romanticism of traditional Class S/platonic relationships. While there are characters such as Sei whom Konno Oyuki could definitely explore/situate in an explicitly LGBT context, the focus of the story--character growth/interactions within Lilian's traditional girls' high school environment--basically disallows most of its characters from being able to declare/demonstrate explicit allegiance with LGBT identity. The idea that Konno Oyuki "hates" lesbians, though, is honestly so retarded it's ridiculous.

last edited at Aug 27, 2012 4:46AM

joined Dec 6, 2011

i'm very sorry for the late response.

thank you for the information.
i will try to read the novels ;)

To reply you must either login or sign up.