Forum › Producer confirms lesbian romance on Cartoon Network show

K2
joined May 22, 2014

One of the execs on children’s cartoon series Steven Universe has confirmed a lesbian romance between two characters.

The popular show is based on a young boy named Steven, who grows up with three magical aliens – the ‘Crystal Gems’ Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl.
Characters Ruby and Sapphire – who are shown to be incredibly close on the show – sparked curiosity among some of the show’s adult fans.

Responding to a fan’s questions in Twitter, the show’s former co-executive producer Ian Jones-Quarterly confirmed: “R & S are in a romantic relationship and I don’t believe any different

When asked whether it is fair to interpret the pair as “nonbinary femme presenting lesbians”, he responded: “by human standards & terminology that
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/07/21/producer-confirms-lesbian-romance-on-cartoon-network-show/

last edited at Jul 21, 2015 11:42AM

joined Mar 25, 2013

That's nice. More and more shows go that route, even if it's probably just for advertising it's still good.

It's been a decade since I watched CN probably.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

That's nice. More and more shows go that route, even if it's probably just for advertising it's still good.

It's been a decade since I watched CN probably.

yea it is , what's really groundbreaking about this show though was they was brave enough show was to actually show a kiss. not just some sub hint or holding hand like in Korra

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Well, with Korra, it's not really the show's writer's fault, it's Nickelodeon.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

Well, with Korra, it's not really the show's writer's fault, it's Nickelodeon.

i'm not holding it against them , i'm just saying this show went further then the sub-text stuff we see all the time

last edited at Jul 21, 2015 12:40PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.