Forum › Love Live! discussion

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Okay so I just want to learn of characters and events to make sense of all of the LoveLive yuri doujins here. What's best to go through: the manga or the anime?

Easily the manga.

Well considering most of the doujin here are NozoEli and NicoMaki, the anime would be better to go through to understand the doujins. Manga Nozomi and Nico are vastly different from their anime counterparts and most of the doujin are based off of the anime personalities.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Very few doujins are set in the Mangaverse or relate to it much at all, so I'd say the anime.

Es1-3muwmamw-fl
joined Dec 20, 2014

I actually prefer the Nico here....

And that UmiHonoEli triangle

last edited at Dec 27, 2014 9:43AM

joined Aug 4, 2014

Shouldn't there be some sort of tag to reflect how gay this is? I wouldn't quite say it's Yuri but holy hell, some of these chapters...

Seriously.

I tried suggesting a yuri tag for chapter 13 (you know, where Umi straight up kisses Honoka, with tons of a blushing on both parties) but it was rejected for reasons I can't quite understand. Hell, in the very next chapter, Nico ogles Eli. Chapter 16's opening speaks for itself. I've skipped ahead to chapters that are untranslated, and it gets even gayer. At one point, Nozomi suggests that A-rise student council president is in love with Eli, and then goes onto suggest that it doesn't matter, because "I don't want to give up my Elly." .

It's definitely deserving of a yuri tag. The author who wrote this was the same person who wrote Strawberry Panic, so it's pretty obvious what she's going for. A yuri tag could potentially garner more popularity too, so there's really no harm in adding it in. I'd even argue that this manga has more yuri than some of the "yuri" mangas on this site. (like Yuri Seijin Naoko-san)

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Okay so I just want to learn of characters and events to make sense of all of the LoveLive yuri doujins here. What's best to go through: the manga or the anime?

Easily the manga.

The manga is quite different in both setting and personalities for some characters (especially Nico who seemed to have a personality transplant between the two medium) and as far as most doujins goes, they usually feels way closer to the anime setting than the manga, especially if you want to read some nicoxmaki which many like to play on the tsundere combo or a lot of nozoxeli playing on them being really close from the start.

So yeah, wouldn't really recommend the manga to get introduced to the character if the goal is to read doujins as it might gives off the wrong vibe for a lot.

Still a nice read, but frankly, I discovered love live first through the doujins, then watched the anime, then read the manga. The anime felt consistent with the doujins I read, but reading the manga felt really different from both and threw me off a few times. I do enjoy an outgoing and flirty nico that get along nicely with Maki, but I'm so used to them being such tsundere it's a bit strange. :p

Makiko
joined May 1, 2014

After a lot of procrastination in reading this, I don't know what to say. (ノ_<)

This really is very much far away from the LL-anime universe. Really. Not that far.

The characterization's only similar for the second years, RinPana and maybe a little bit for Nozomi? And a little off character for Umi can't see anime Umi kissing Honoka just like that

Whereas, the BiBi unit (Maki, Nico, and Eri), got some major personality changes. Manga Nico's definitely better. Manga Eri being a flirt is fun to see. But, eeeerrrrr, I want anime Maki more. Way, way more. (/ _ ; ) Tsundere Maki's definitely the best.

But likewise, I can somehow understand where did some of the pairings came from. ( ̄▽ ̄)

Still looking forward to these though.

My history with LL!verse began with DJs as well. Hence, I moved forward and watched the anime having the same reasons as you. To understand more those DJs. Especially I was looking forward for MakiNico since obviously it's my OTP in LL! Sadly, MakiNico on anime is a bit weak. And now, just finished reading these 16 chapters of the manga. Just like what the others said, characterization wise, most DJs, if not all, are based on the anime version. I think even the other medias are more closely related to the anime as well.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Now is when I realize that there's a official manga?! Deer God, I'm gonna be busy!

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

Good luck!

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Shouldn't there be some sort of tag to reflect how gay this is? I wouldn't quite say it's Yuri but holy hell, some of these chapters...

Yeah, this is pretty Subtexty at the very least.

Light_blue_429604_i0
joined Sep 28, 2014
joined Aug 4, 2014

Boy, I can't wait until the translators hit this chapter:

http://avielelloy.tumblr.com/post/97280728969/please-note-that-the-manga-doesnt-follow-the

You can barely call this subtext.

joined Oct 17, 2014

Hydra Translations did the 17th chapter a few days ago.

https://hydratranslations1.wordpress.com/

Hana
joined Jun 20, 2014

Are there any raws for chapter 18 onwards?
Loving the Umi, Nico and Eli here. That HonoUmi cheek kiss!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh??? Nozomi seems like a total HYPER CRAZY EXTROVERTED gurl, Hanayo is being FORCED by her super demanding Rin, Maki's more of the tsundere type who gets sooo easily embarrassed and frustrated by stuff and while Nico doesn't seem like the tsundere clumsy lazy gurl like in the anime but like a talented dancer with a cute appearance and a not-so-annoying personality?... I also like her hair down like Nozomi's when in school! And those HARDCORE NicoMaki INTERACTIONS ARE GOLD!!! >~<

But still i'd say the storyline of the anime is better i guess... ;D

joined Sep 25, 2015

I hope this gets picked up again. ;_;

joined Sep 25, 2015

I mean, 2015 is pretty much left out.

Smokinadultlolis
joined Mar 30, 2016

After looking at School Idol Diary, I became curious and finally picked up the official manga. I wasn't expecting the characters to be mildly different than the anime's, but it came as a pleasant surprise. I came to love this manga's interpretation of Nico. I feel like the author expanded the concept of Nico being cute on the exterior but different on the inside.

I especially love the fact that she's willing to manipulate and use people due to her circumstances. It's relatable since I also come from a poor household and run into the issues of school tuition fees. I feel like Honoka's character takes on a better shine in this manga. She quits the kendo club and creates the idol club in an impulsive manner after seeing a A-Rise concert. Yet, she's doing it all to save the school and even drags Umi into her schemes. It speaks a lot about Honoka being headstrong and energetic to a fault.

The biggest point that the manga improved on from the anime is the fact that the girls are trying to save the school. The scene that drives this home is where Honoka takes Eli to their old elementary school and she talks about the changes around them and how it seems the world is leaving behind Otonoki.

The anime and the manga are both down-to-earth in different ways. The manga's focus is closer to the theme of making the character's dreams come true. Though the manga has a strong P.O.V focus on Honoka and somewhat Nico, which I feel affects the other characters. Overall: NicoMaki is great (the new dynamic is cool), new ground on Honoka and Umi's relationship (the lack of Kotori bothers me), Eli is flirty and gay (+20), you can feel how much the author like yuri.

Good read.

last edited at Mar 30, 2016 9:45PM

Itzameapotterhead
Img_pzb2xa
joined Jul 4, 2016

SO NICOMAKI IS CANON THEN?

Itzameapotterhead
Img_pzb2xa
joined Jul 4, 2016

ch 16 page 2 lol I love how Maki keeps her cool XD

E
joined Feb 8, 2014

Nicomaki is so real, I'm crying.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

The creator of Strawberry Panic threw a lot of light yuri into the other things besides the anime. In the second season, some filtered in to the anime.

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

Niko has no idea what you are talking about, and neither does Niko's Maki-chan.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not really, since this doesn't really follow quite the same continuity as the anime, and I gather the game is a little different from both. Heck, in the anime they barely interact at all, and season one seems to push HonoMaki more, and even that's only a bit.

I guess you could say it's a thing within the manga continuity though, just not overall.

last edited at Oct 25, 2016 9:01AM

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

In the anime, in Season 2, episode 1, they have a group phone call. Most of the girls are in their bedrooms, so it's pretty late. Niko and Maki are out, together, dressed up, in heels. I think that's the anime incorporating some NikoMaki. I don't remember anything so obviously a date in the manga, even, which is more Niko chasing Maki in a subtext-y way.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

In the anime, in Season 2, episode 1, they have a group phone call. Most of the girls are in their bedrooms, so it's pretty late. Niko and Maki are out, together, dressed up, in heels. I think that's the anime incorporating some NikoMaki. I don't remember anything so obviously a date in the manga, even, which is more Niko chasing Maki in a subtext-y way.

So they stood next to each other in one scene, and then rarely interacted aside from that. Hoo boy, I'm convinced!

I mean shipping is one thing, but that's about as far from canon in that continuity as you can get.

To reply you must either login or sign up.