Forum › Who's your favourite Touhou character, and why?

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

I'd be fun to hear from both hardcore fans, and those with just a casual appreciation.

It doesn't have to be something super specific, like, "I like Toyosatomimi no Miko, because Prince Shoutoku is awesome!". Anything from "I like Reimu, because even though she's a main character, she's a greedy asshole in canon, and I find that that's hilarious" to "I like Kyouko 'cuz she's like, sooo cute!" is a valid reason!.

Personally, my favourite character is Yakumo Yukari. I like her scheeming personality and her almost constant smile, but most of all, I just love her design to death. Specifically, I like the Chinese-styled western dress. Unfortunately, many artists seem to prefer to purple dress, perhaps because it is easier to draw...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I won't say her name, but her initials are Hong Meiling.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I KNOW YOU'RE SURPRISED!

joined Jan 11, 2015

We all know that! Give us the reason, dammit! Tell us your secrets!

A85
joined Aug 22, 2014

Fujiwara no Mokou. Her backstory is compelling and tragic, her powers are absolutely badass, and she has that bifauxnen charm that always seems to get me weak.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh, yeah. That.

Okay, it's a few things. Obviously she's pretty and despite being surrounded by monstrously powerful characters she's still pretty badass. Part of it is the fact that I like support characters, and her whole role in the SDM dynamic is, at its heart, a supportive one, and her personality reflects that. I'm also someone who loves it when characters who are the butt of jokes, or comic relief of some sort, assert themselves as worthwhile people in their own right, which happens a lot in doujins. She also pairs well with any number of characters, due to that essentially gentle

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Meiling. Cuz she is sweet and funny.

I love her pairing with Sakuya.

joined Jan 11, 2015

Meiling certainly does have the "butt of jokes" part down, to the point that I often feel sorry for her...

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

My favorite Touhou character is Marisa because it's the only character i somewhat know.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, but then she gets to be badass sometimes, too.

(even if Remi is kind of a shit to her at the end)

joined Jun 12, 2015

Tatara Kogasa. I blame the "Do your best Kogasa chan !" series and her heterochromia.

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
Fellowship of Freelancers
joined Oct 11, 2010

Hijiri Byakuren. She's strong and dedicated to her goals. I also find it cute that no matter how kind and well-meaning her actions to bring Buddhism to the youkai are, it's clear she's never really thought the entire thing through.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Flandre, 'cause she's insane(ly) awesome and cute.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Nazrin because of DYNAMO

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Wriggle Nightbug because I dunno lol.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Marisa. Her brashness and spontaneity are fun to watch, and I like seeing her personality bounce off of the more reserved and considerate characters in the cast.

last edited at Feb 11, 2017 6:29PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

I know this is a bit of a cliched response, but I honestly can't decide. I've never really been good at picking absolute top favorites, especially in this case when there are so many great characters with a whole bunch of different interpretations depending on the artist.

One of them would probably be Reisen though - I like her design (bunny ears + suit + skirt is a surprisingly nice combo) and how she can be the comic relief, the only sane one, or the (relatively rare) PTSD lunar war veteran. She has quite a few potential pairings as well, which can be fun.

Junko is cool too - her backstory is surprisingly dark and she's kinda psycho-bonkers crazy, even for Touhou. She also pairs nicely with Reisen, IMO.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

@norain I thought you would say Hecatia

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

Mokou of course, love her Ex stage and her main theme, and the way she talk after defeated by player like in imperishable night its so badass!

joined Jan 11, 2015

It's awesome that we have so many different answers!

Even if they're not my personal favourites, I agree with what everyone said about their own favourites. Pretty much all characters in Touhou are really likeable!

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

It's awesome that we have so many different answers!

Even if they're not my personal favourites, I agree with what everyone said about their own favourites. Pretty much all characters in Touhou are really likeable!

I definitely agree with that last part - even Rinnosuke, who lots of people dislike because he's a guy and tends to get pigeonholed as either a complete super-manly weirdo or a typical harem lead depending on the writer. In canon, he's actually alright (in my opinion anyways).

joined Jan 11, 2015

@Norainhere
Haha, yeah, his relationship to Reimu and Marisa is more like "Oh no, not these people again... They're gonna steal all my stuff...", rather than romantic interest, lol. Though he does get very happy when he gets to explain (monologue) about something... x)

You%20thought%20it%20was%20a%20pancake
joined Sep 16, 2013

Patchouli, because she's super fun to play in IaMP. Also, the idea of a witch whose limiting factor is being too asthmatic to properly chant spells sometimes is really cute. It's also adorable(and impressive) that she's got so many spells that she uses different ones depending on the day of the week. It's like a magical sort of picking dresses.

Patchouli is cute.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Alice Margatroid. I like her outfit, the general personality traits she's typically shown to have, and the whole puppetmaster thing is pretty interesting. (As opposed to what people have thought on other forums though, my username has absolutely nothing at all to do with Touhou. Instead it's more Alice in Wonderland-based.)

joined Jan 11, 2015

@Alice Cheshire
Something about the Cheshire part tipped me off that that was the case... ;D

To reply you must either login or sign up.