Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's hard to express how glad I am that this story isn't, "She's not really a nerdy introvert--she's actually unconsciously devastatingly sexy," but "She's unconsciously devastatingly sexy because she's a nerdy introvert."

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(also oh my god these two are so adorable I can't)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

A lot of readers seem to want what amount to spoiler tags: “If the MCs don’t get together romantically, preferably with at least a kiss if not an actual sex scene, I don’t want to waste my time reading it.”

Dynasty has tended to be careful with tags (like Tragedy ) that give away the ending of a series, at least before the story is completed, so I don’t think there’s a viable way to ever satisfy those folks.

Well, and even if you did, there's other people who don't want to be spoiled, and they would just be upset instead.

It's pretty damn hard to tag this either way because it's still ongoing and no one but the author knows how it'll actually go in any case.

joined Nov 21, 2022

Am I missing something? No music reference this week?

joined Feb 1, 2021

(I say this as someone who more than once has thought, "Eh, I think I'm done with this one," only I kept checking back to see if it got any better all the way to the end of the series.)

I feel like I very rarely "drop" anything, so much as things I'm not vibing with will just fall to the back of my personal queue and I'll invariably come back to read them anyway when I'm sufficiently bored and have time to waste.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Tags should just be gone. What people want is full on spoiler summaries for complete series anyway, and tags don't actually serve as in their function as cataloguing content anymore, so better ditch them before further devolvement. People need to be untrained from checklist reading. ^^

joined Jan 14, 2020

60 chapters in, and still no actual progress?

Dropped.

Given the page count, it's more like 10 normal chapters.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Tags should just be gone. What people want is full on spoiler summaries for complete series anyway, and tags don't actually serve as in their function as cataloguing content anymore, so better ditch them before further devolvement. People need to be untrained from checklist reading. ^^

Well people still want to know if they read a yuri series, a hetero romance, a yaoi gore drama...

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Some want to know if this is actually Yuri, which is a genre. It's very normal to want to know what genre you're reading. Yuri lets you know if this involves romance or not (specifically between women). It doesn't say anything about the other outcomes or about spoilers, anymore than knowing that something is in the comedy genre spoils a film or book. I don't see anyone asking for much more beyond that.

last edited at Oct 1, 2023 5:54PM

joined Apr 10, 2023

Some want to know if this is actually Yuri, which is a genre. It's very normal to want to know what genre you're reading. Yuri lets you know if this involves romance or not (specifically between women). It doesn't say anything about the other outcomes or about spoilers, anymore than knowing that something is in the comedy genre spoils a film or book. I don't see anyone asking for much more beyond that.

The series has explicitly romantic feelings from one girl to another girl. What people are actually pining for is a hint that they'll actually have a romance between them, and that's impossible to predict or tag for.

joined Sep 10, 2022

The series has explicitly romantic feelings from one girl to another girl. What people are actually pining for is a hint that they'll actually have a romance between them, and that's impossible to predict or tag for.

The discussion is about whether we all view what's transpired as "explicit." I don't know that it's been explicit. There's still a lot of room to call this a close loving friendship. I doubt that's how it goes but the varying opinions on that is where the discussion comes from. You're clearly on one end, but others aren't.

The question about Yuri is because the author has avoided using that term for this series for her own reasons. So it is a genre question. And questioning whether there will be romance is a genre question anyway. What would the romance genre be without romance? And it's not difficult to tag for because most series say what genre they are in. They tag themselves on their official site etc. This series is interesting because it doesn't tag itself as Yuri but has been tagged Yuri here.

I don't personally care much either way but it's not an unreasonable question for people to have, especially considering the history of it.

last edited at Oct 2, 2023 12:11PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Well people still want to know if they read a yuri series, a hetero romance, a yaoi gore drama...

For one thing, it's hardly an issue on Dynasty. For another, they can still do that. Via clicking on it and reading. Mhm. ^^

Smallerowl2jpg
joined May 5, 2020

What the fuck would a 'yaoi gore drama' even be?

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

https://sevenseasentertainment.com/books/total-eclipse-of-the-eternal-heart/

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

What are you talking about? They’re still useful. Speaking personally, I’ve found works that I’ve wanted to reread but have forgotten the names of by searching one of the tags I remembered it having. I never would have found some of them if I just had to go back and search through this site’s entire catalog.

Also, what’s checklist reading?

joined Apr 10, 2021

This series is interesting because it doesn't tag itself as Yuri but has been tagged Yuri here.

I don't personally care much either way but it's not an unreasonable question for people to have, especially considering the history of it.

Hot? take: Since it was not tagged yuri originally, doesn't tagging it yuri here just create potential problems? Since many people here probably don't think of "yuri" as trope conventions but as a tag of "they will fuck/kiss/love/hold hands eventually"? And if that doesn't happen, people are disappointed/angry of something that the creator didn't intend.

Surely if it does turn out like that, and I hope so, word-of-mouth can reach those people or the tag can be added after it happens.

Is it a problem if some readers who wouldn't read something "not yuri" don't read this great thing if it doesn't have the tag, if it won't fulfill that "tag" anyway?

This is all too late now of course.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Be careful what you wish for.

As for tags, I really don't see why it would be a big deal. Personally, I would just go with the middle ground and tag it Yuri Crush but it's not like tagging it as Yuri came out of nowhere. To each their own.

last edited at Oct 4, 2023 9:21PM

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

I like the story as is. But I'm not gonna be happy if that 59 and 60 were just to tease the audience.
I'm cool with slow burns and even sad stories but I don't really see this series taking the sad route. Slow burn maybe. But honestly if they could effectively communicate later on I'd call that a win. If we get a kiss it'd be a jackpot and if they date you can just dip me in butter cause I'm done and ready to be served lol

P.S. (edit to add this) And This comes from someone who has re-read Sasameki Koto (Whispered Words) more than 10 times cause it was one of the first yuri mangas I ever read and liked. It still holds a special place in my heart. So does Girlfriends by Milk Morinagi (can't spell the last name).
Sasameki Koto was a SLOW burn but the main character was in love from the very first chapter. That was the difference. Not ambiguous or oblivious. They knew and were okay with not saying anything cause they didn't wanna ruin their friendship. And guess what their friend was a gay woman too and crushed openly on cute girls. XD I love that manga so much. Y'all don't even know.

last edited at Oct 4, 2023 10:52PM

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

What up? My fellow OG fan. Yeah tags help people know what they're reading. It's almost like a genre section at the library. That way people can find what they like faster.

joined Sep 10, 2022

Sasameki Koto was a SLOW burn but the main character was in love from the very first chapter. That was the difference. Not ambiguous or oblivious. They knew and were okay with not saying anything cause they didn't wanna ruin their friendship.

Sasameki is great too. And yeah there's a bunch of ways to make their preferences clear without making this a "romance heavy" series, focusing on typical romance plotlines, or focusing on if they get together--they don't even have to get together. Right now it's not yet been clearly established that they're gay (or questioning), that's the difference and I think where some of the worry comes from. I'm personally confident that these two are gay but that comes largely from assumptions (based on the author's previous works), character bios and story clues that we can assume are hinting at eventual revelations. The story has been relatively ambiguous, for now: many previous hints could be debatably viewed as a close friendship kind of love. I'd disagree but I'd admit there's nothing concrete yet.

For me this is all fine (I love it! and it moves at its own pace) but again I can understand the unique worry some might have as the chapters start to pile up and we get teased a bit, especially since the story got tagged as Yuri (romance) and has moved away from the blushy earlier chapters' "guy crush" premise into a fully music focused one. I think that worry will be shortlived but still. These are 4 page chapters but lots of manga that release like this accommodate plot progression rates around the unique release schedule. So it doesn't always work to say, "well if this were a normal release this would only be chapter 12."

last edited at Oct 6, 2023 8:01AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

What up? My fellow OG fan. Yeah tags help people know what they're reading. It's almost like a genre section at the library. That way people can find what they like faster.

Obviously not when it keeps people being preoccupied with labels over actual content.

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Ha, ha, great chapter - love the interaction between Kana and Joe.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, poor Joe... :D

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Naww, bless this inept but doting uncle. Bless him~

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

How is… everyone… so cute… in every panel….? The uncle’s cuteness reached unprecedented levels today.

To reply you must either login or sign up.