Forum › Rock is a Lady's Modesty discussion

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

"that was her first encounter with her lifelong partner Kurogane Otoha." So this story is going to fuck severely I see.

Also Suzunomiya girl you really have to think about playing a song together in seriously the gayest way possible huh.

Yep. I am going to like this one.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I wanna know how Suzunomiya-san walks through doors with that hair.

joined Sep 1, 2021

I feel like that analogy is a self-report, but you do you, babe.

maidenlessclaire
Rkkixs_v_400x400
joined Feb 16, 2023

I already love this.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Beside of any band story, this seen closer to Ladies don’t play figthing games in the duo interactions

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Double subversion, of the proper lady school and the cute girls doing cute stuff (music club version), strong start.

20220119_192758
joined Nov 17, 2021

The middle finger at the end LOL

Ava-min
joined Dec 8, 2022

I love the chemistry between the two leads. Hope it will turn out to be more than just subtext.

joined Apr 10, 2021

Personally, the fact that japanese authors could, and have, written something like this completely straight without the slightest socioeconomical consciousness is... ...
here, modern Japan, the political-technological elites, called the "backbone" of the country, send their daughters to a private school where they act and dress like idealized 1600's european noblewomen, in order to become "noble ladies", and the mc even says she was a fucking "commoner".
This kind of stuff makes me just about as angry as boys in manga make people in comment sections of het tags, and I hope that these girls smash more than just their private music sessions together, show how fucked up these premises are, but they probably won't.

-7xom-00_400x400
joined Feb 25, 2023

This is pretty funny so far. I wonder how long Suzunomiya will keep up the noble act.

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

Oh hey, a pair of lesbians bonding over GOOD rock music. Neat.

joined Apr 16, 2022

"Lifelong partner" and Suzunomiya's full-face blushes aren't enough to get us at least a Subtext tag?

Loved the chapter though, Suzunomiya and especially Kurogane have refreshingly unique personalities for this well-worn premise and the art and comedy were consistently great throughout. (I also enjoyed the MD comment that they're Yumeko and Mary from Kakegurui reincarnated lol.) Looking forward to future chapters!

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

That opening was the BEST.

And dang, I’m going to have to check out that math rock right now. I hope they keep the music references coming!

tsukemonogatari
E7970c69-edd3-4544-8de9-6a20ca0f7573
joined Aug 29, 2020

Personally, the fact that japanese authors could, and have, written something like this completely straight without the slightest socioeconomical consciousness is... ...
here, modern Japan, the political-technological elites, called the "backbone" of the country, send their daughters to a private school where they act and dress like idealized 1600's european noblewomen, in order to become "noble ladies", and the mc even says she was a fucking "commoner".
This kind of stuff makes me just about as angry as boys in manga make people in comment sections of het tags, and I hope that these girls smash more than just their private music sessions together, show how fucked up these premises are, but they probably won't.

If this comic book about lesbian guitar foreplay got into real issues like historical materialism and the use value of a broadcloth maybe then Japan could have a dictatorship of the proletariat

last edited at Aug 8, 2023 2:09PM

joined Apr 10, 2021

it has a LDP dictatorship.

also I think not doing contemporary comics about nobility schools fitting girls into a princess mold is a more down-to-earth start, or the endpoint.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I wanna know how Suzunomiya-san walks through doors with that hair.

Sideways, obvs.

joined May 10, 2021

That was a great damn first chapter, I'm in!
Also a sweet math rock recommendation as a bonus is always welcome.
Thanks for the translation!

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

So a music version of Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games? Alright, you got my attention

Ichimatsu_kohina_11153
joined Jul 25, 2014

You do know that the whole "ojou sama" tropes, as used in mangas/anime nowadays is ironical and self-aware in the first place?
It's a exageration of the (less ironical, but also thus far less ridiculously noble-like) depictions of refined all-girls school in works from the 20th century that were themselves inspired from actual schools from the earlier 20th century.

That's why they use exaggerations like "commoners" and act as if it was Victorian Great Britain. That's the joke.
Not only that, but the whole premise seems to be to break said setting. The chapter ending with a character flipping a bird the size of a ostrich seems like a pretty clear indication of the author's intentions. And to that end, making the "proper lady school" that exaggerated reinforce the contrast.
Yes, there are prestigious private school In Japan, but nowhere anything near or close to the over the top ojou-sama school seen in Mangas.
No japanese person reading this today would actually take it at face value anymore than say... A French person reading a comic about a school where everyone act like it's the Renaissance.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some manga and animes, and especially Light Novel tropes that could use some critical thinking, but that's really not the one to be overthinking about.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

All I could think when the two of them were playing was "OK, so the new girl is a really shit drummer then."
Like, if you're drumming to try to make the other instruments disappear, you're DOING IT WRONG.

I dunno, I'm not into this. I mean, ooh, they're subverting a silly old trope that has only been subverted, I dunno, ten million times already. We've long since reached the point where the subversion IS the cliche.

last edited at Aug 8, 2023 8:11PM

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

All I could think when the two of them were playing was "OK, so the new girl is a really shit drummer then."
Like, if you're drumming to try to make the other instruments disappear, you're DOING IT WRONG.

You're the lead guitarist in your band, I bet.

joined Aug 21, 2017

I FUCKING LOVE MUSIC MANGA
I WANT TO SEE PEOPLE POURING THEIR HEART AND SOUL INTO CREATING ART

joined Apr 16, 2022

I dunno, I'm not into this. I mean, ooh, they're subverting a silly old trope that has only been subverted, I dunno, ten million times already. We've long since reached the point where the subversion IS the cliche.

Everything's a cliche, it's all in the execution. I think this chapter executed the cliche well. It was funny and cute.

joined Apr 29, 2019

t. commoner

To reply you must either login or sign up.