Forum › Touhou Blue Book: Yuki Toke No Yue discussion

joined Feb 11, 2014

This is adorable, but I feel like there is a prequel. Is there?

EDIT: Yep! Found it!

last edited at Sep 3, 2014 2:13AM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Another great doujin from Yohane <3

Shame that the translation is kind of rough sometimes.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

HNNNG! Almost died due to the lethal level of ADORABLE when Remilia and Satori were on the bed all lovey dovey.

Entire manga is full of happyness Ahhh~~~
Perfect read before going to sleep

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I never thought this would be uploaded here.

I did most of the translation, and originally it was from a hard translated Chinese version (Note: not Japanese). Mostly for fun over the summer, so that people would have something to read. I happened to really enjoy Yohane's stuff.

To see it uploaded here, I wonder if that implies that the translation is 100% accurate? Because it's not. So take everything with a pinch of salt. Because no one can say for certain if it stays true to its original (again, Chinese).

Maybe all it should be is a placeholder to satisfy people's curiosity. I don't know. I was really afraid to take this translation anywhere because of that. There is a MASSIVE amount of Yohane's work in Chinese that doesn't have any RAWs, but I never figured out how people feel about translations from Chinese even when there are no alternatives from Japanese.

So, if you are wondering why we don't just use a hard translated Japanese copy. Well, the Chinese scanlators simply will not release the RAWS due to them wanting to create a market for Chinese translations.

Theoretically, since this doujin does not use any native expressions, nothing should be lost in translation from Japanese to Chinese. The languages are very interchangeable in terms of expressions and way of speech (no I don't mean grammar). So I would say with a level of confidence that this translation is viable. Perhaps even very viable.

Lastly, I just want to say that the Title page does exist in the original form on Yohane's blog. Me and another friend couldn't make sense of the title at all (All hiragana and with weird structure that required context). So combining our understanding with the Chinese title, I got "How to Melt Icy Fates" originally. Although after awhile I thought perhaps the title could be "Frozen Fates Can Melt." Although even that could still be wrong.

EDIT: This was the title by the way. "ゆきとけのユエ"

last edited at Sep 4, 2014 9:11PM

Whale
joined Mar 1, 2013

If the same author were to create another doujin's summary like: Koishi went somewhere else and never return, the hole inside Frandre's heart is never filled ever since. Something like this. I think my room will be filled with my tears.

__remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_kameyan__79633e04034b3c99d7cf88e4370ce72e
joined Apr 28, 2014

And thanks to Yohane, I now ship Remi and Satori.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I never thought this would be uploaded here.

I translated the doujin from a hard translated Chinese version. Mostly for fun over the summer, so that people would have something to read. I happened to really enjoy Yohane's stuff.

To see it uploaded here, I wonder if that implies that the translation is 100% accurate? Because it's not. So take everything with a pinch of salt. Because no one can say for certain if it stays true to its original.

Maybe all it should be is a placeholder to satisfy people's curiosity. I don't know. I was really afraid to take this translation anywhere because of that. There is a MASSIVE amount of Yohane's work in Chinese that doesn't have any RAWs, but I never figured out how people feel about translations from Chinese even when there are no alternatives.

Still, if you are wondering why we don't just use a hard translated Japanese copy. Well, the Chinese scanlators simply will not release the RAWS due to them wanting to create a market for Chinese translations.

Theoretically, since this doujin does not use any native expressions, nothing should be lost in translation from Japanese to Chinese. The languages are very interchangeable in terms of expressions and way of speech (no I don't mean grammar). So I would say with a level of confidence that this translation is viable. Perhaps even very viable.

Lastly, I just want to say that the Title page does exist in the original form on Yohane's blog. Me and another friend couldn't make sense of the title at all (All hiragana and with weird structure that required context). So combining our understanding with the Chinese title, I got "How to Melt Icy Fates" originally. Although after awhile I thought perhaps the title could be "Frozen Fates Can Melt." Although even that could still be wrong.

EDIT: This was the title by the way. "ゆきとけのユエ"

Ah I see, your effort is really appreciated since Yohane's work are somewhat rare despite being SO good. Thank you so much for this!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If the same author were to create another doujin's summary like: Koishi went somewhere else and never return, the hole inside Frandre's heart is never filled ever since. Something like this. I think my room will be filled with my tears.

Makes me wonder if If You Won't Wake From This Dream was done after reading this. Even though it's a different author, it works as a follow-up on both couples (although Yohane's is more romantic and cuddly).

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/if_you_wont_wake_from_this_dream

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Going by the way titles are listed for yohane's works. I think it might as well not be translated. Since the translation will only make things more confusing.

I think the title should be changed to "Yuki Toke No Yue"

L8nis5h
joined Jun 26, 2014

Dawwww

Okay, this was way too good. Koishi is now my headcanon ship for Flandre.

last edited at Sep 4, 2014 9:09PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Wow, page 16. That's a rare delicacy.

To see it uploaded here, I wonder if that implies that the translation is 100% accurate? Because it's not...So I would say with a level of confidence that this translation is viable. Perhaps even very viable.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. While we do have some standards to live up to, the translation certainly fell within those, and there were no obvious inaccuracies. Certainly J > E is always preferred, but there are plenty of groups even within the "pro" scanlation scene that openly advocate C > E translations. Hard for us to argue with that when there is no ready alternative.

All-in-all, there are some small spelling/grammar mistakes, but they hardly detract from an otherwise strong doujin (and translation). Thank you very much for your hard work!

I think the title should be changed to "Yuki Toke No Yue"

It feels like Yohane is relatively notorious for this, changed.

last edited at Sep 4, 2014 9:14PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Aside from the absolutely adorable flirting on page 16, did anyone else notice that Remi's nightgown and collarbone makes a squared-off heart shape?

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/touhou_blue_book_yuki_toke_no_yue#16

joined Apr 14, 2013

Yohane never fails to impress

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Wow, page 16. That's a rare delicacy.

To see it uploaded here, I wonder if that implies that the translation is 100% accurate? Because it's not...So I would say with a level of confidence that this translation is viable. Perhaps even very viable.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. While we do have some standards to live up to, the translation certainly fell within those, and there were no obvious inaccuracies. Certainly J > E is always preferred, but there are plenty of groups even within the "pro" scanlation scene that openly advocate C > E translations. Hard for us to argue with that when there is no ready alternative.

All-in-all, there are some small spelling/grammar mistakes, but they hardly detract from an otherwise strong doujin (and translation). Thank you very much for your hard work!

I originally uploaded the work to Danbooru and soft-translated it there as I uploaded it. Of course, this means that the translations have gone through good and bad. But, such is the case when you lack control. If I had more time, or some sort of autonomy on the matter I believe the translations would have been much more smooth.

But that's not possible, because Danbooru only accepts RAWs and so the whole thing has been taken down. I had thought that would be it for the translation, but now that it's here I feel a certain degree of responsibility for this version. So if possible, the translations could indeed be much better improved.

There are actually a lot more of Yohane's works that lack Japanese RAWs, that could be translated from Chinese. If what you say is true though, and Dynasty Scans could be an outlet for C > E translations, then I can upload some myself in the future perhaps.

joined Sep 5, 2014

Yo, the guy on page 34 here.

I found this work on Danbooru a month after Hollows made the translations, however it was deleted already. Luckily I noticed I could still reach it and the translations via a Deleted Items option on Hollows page.

Since I didn't want the translations to go to waste and I didn't know if Danbooru permanently deletes things after some time I decided to quickly put Hollows translations on the work and upload it somewhere else, so people could still enjoy Yohane's work.

Then, a few days after I did so someone from Dynasty Scans contacted me to ask if he could upload it to Dynasty Scans. Well, you see what happened ^^.

Hollows, my apologies for doing this without your permission, but I only wanted to save the work you did for others. I'm glad it ended up the way it did, even with some editing errors on my part (like on page 16) and just plain inexperience at doing this. I'm also glad i checked who the translator was so I could give him the credit he deserves.

If you have other works you can translate, I would happily try and improve my editing skills.

(...with the already cleaned Chinese raws I didn't have to mess with the actual images themselves, and where I would've I just put the translation a bit beside. I'm not good enough to actually erase parts and then redraw like real translation groups haha...)

Oh, English isn't my main language, so apologies for any spelling mistakes I missed.

last edited at Sep 5, 2014 7:26AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I originally uploaded the work to Danbooru and soft-translated it there as I uploaded it...I had thought that would be it for the translation, but now that it's here I feel a certain degree of responsibility for this version. So if possible, the translations could indeed be much better improved...If what you say is true though, and Dynasty Scans could be an outlet for C > E translations, then I can upload some myself in the future perhaps.

I understand where you're coming from. If you do choose to iron out the details of this translation, or eventually work on more translations in the future - with someone else or by yourself - we'd be happy to take them. Typically the quickest way to get something up is to submit an upload request. Alternatively, if you have any questions, need some assistance or want to get in touch for some other reason, you can always e-mail me, and I'd be happy to help however I can.

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

I love both these couples and have done for some time. Yohane is like manna from heaven.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I absolutely, positively adore how Remi has a matching heart hair clip. It's the little details that really make these things transcendent.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Replaced with new scanlation by Perfect Sunrise Scans.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Time for a reread! I'm pleasantly surprised that this got re-typeset.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I've read this one a couple of times, its great :) Any excuse to read it again lol.

Is the new scan higher res or something? Its been long enough I cant recall anything that was different.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Yay, translation cleaned. Nice.

joined Jun 3, 2019

Hello everyone. I'm currently the only member of Perfect Sunrise Scans.

This is one of my favorite Doujins, and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the changes I made to the existing version.

Also, since this is my first release, I'd love to hear any criticism you may have.

Anyway, in regards to the source of the images for this project, you are correct. Not only is it higher-res, it's from a better source. When the existing translation was made, it used a Chinese scanlation, as the Japanese raws did not seem to be available at the time. Fortunately, the raws are available now.

Here's a side-by-side comparison, with the images kept to scale: https://i.imgur.com/suPWBGL.png

And here's the old version just in case you want to look at it: https://e-hentai.org/g/734258/b5a556f8a9/

I initially went into this just with the intention of replacing the Comic Sans with something sensible (although I know that a few people here don't like Wild Words either). But, it didn't take me long to realize just how... rough around the edges the original translation was. I ultimately asked Levander of DB Scans re-translate a sizeable chunk of this. I didn't want to waste his time, so I only had him retranslate a few parts. So if you do find any blatant errors, I'll take 100% of the blame. I'm extremetly grateful for that help. I'm quite confident that the new version you see here will provide a much better reading experience.

Anyway, I already posted this Reddit, where I left an EXHAUSTIVE list of changes in the comments. Feel free to check it out for more insight into the changes I made here: https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/eam3v3/yohanes_yuki_toke_no_yue_is_an_extremely/

Also, I'm working on a typesetting of Blue Book: Isaraizure. Expect it soon!

EDIT: Disregard everything after this point. You ninja-ed me, and you seem to be happy.

Also, Hollows, if you're reading this, I'd just like to thank you personally for translating it in the first place. If you had never made that translation, in all likelyhood I would never have started this project.

Five years ago, you left a comment here that said this about your translation:

"Maybe all it should be is a placeholder to satisfy people's curiosity."

Well, it took a while, but your translation's role as a placeholder has now finished. Rest easy, friend.

last edited at Dec 15, 2019 10:36PM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

That's right, I am pretty happy. Thanks for all your hard work.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Thanks to everyone who worked on this- I love all Yohane's stuff :) really looking forward to the next book too!

To reply you must either login or sign up.