Forum › Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid discussion

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Few things rival the beauty of a daughter punching her mother in the gut and following it up with an uppercut to the chin :'(

Edit: I might also add that I too did not like the writing decision here. Having Vivio somehow just willpower her way through a direct hit from Nanoha's greatest spell seems... forced?

last edited at Apr 10, 2019 8:54PM

joined Jan 5, 2018

That brings me to tears the whole ending when she saved Vivio on the ship I still watch it from time to time

joined Jun 9, 2011

Yeah, I'm going to have to call bull on that.

__remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_kameyan__79633e04034b3c99d7cf88e4370ce72e
joined Apr 28, 2014

To be fair, Nanoha also face-tanked Fate's 'Spark End' ability way back in season 1, but yeah, Nanoha's always been said to have strong defensive abilities and huge magic reserves, as opposed to the way they've described Vivio.

Devil's advocate, I'm not too upset, but it's still not a very clever way of having Vivio win. If anything she should probably have used a new ability that she developed in secret for the sole purpose of beating Nanoha, something that would make some sense given how long this has been a goal for her and how well documented Nanoha's fighting style is.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Wasted on silly battle instead of something more delicius like sex.
Specially with La Pucelle in a threesome with Nanoha and Vivio putting her tail between their crotch.

joined Apr 28, 2014

I honestly can't even tell if Mugino is just an incredibly dedicated troll at this point.

joined May 24, 2014

Who could thought that she would be TOPS in such an exiciting mother-daughter match?!

New%20canvas
joined Jun 28, 2015

I believe at this point the translators should put massive " " every time best friend is mentioned.

Also forced plot twist is forced.

joined Jun 6, 2016

Yeah ok, "best friend"

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Blank Mage posted:

To be fair, Nanoha also face-tanked Fate's 'Spark End' ability way back in season 1, but yeah, Nanoha's always been said to have strong defensive abilities and huge magic reserves, as opposed to the way they've described Vivio.

Not just good defense but Nanoha has been repeatedly shown to be able to tank some serious damage. There's a reason Nanoha's been able to eventually mop the floor with basically any opponent she's come up against and her ridiculous offensive output is absolutely not the whole reason for that. Unlike Fate who has absurd evasive capabilities and high damage output, Nanoha has exceptional offensive output, great defenses, a good ability to take a hit, and then she's rather intelligent and driven on top of all that.

I've only recently started reading Vivid (actually mostly just this match, one of the thumbnails awhile back here on Dynasty caught my eye when I was thinking that I should give the manga a shot and see if it was better than the anime) but the manga seems almost as crappy as the anime was which is an impressive accomplishment considering the anime just kinda cuts out in the middle of a tournament that it had been hyping up for several episodes.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

I've only recently started reading Vivid (actually mostly just this match, one of the thumbnails awhile back here on Dynasty caught my eye when I was thinking that I should give the manga a shot and see if it was better than the anime) but the manga seems almost as crappy as the anime was which is an impressive accomplishment considering the anime just kinda cuts out in the middle of a tournament that it had been hyping up for several episodes.

The manga is a bit better than the anime, the anime didn't have good directing or animation, skipped some things from the manga and changed a few others. If you're not liking the manga so far it may not be worth reading the whole thing, the complete story has a similar tone.
Vivid Strike! is much better than the original Vivid anime if you want something in the same vein but better excecuted, even if Strike doesn't have Vivio's sweet mothers around.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

A-chan posted:

Vivid Strike! is much better than the original Vivid anime if you want something in the same vein but better excecuted, even if Strike doesn't have Vivio's sweet mothers around.

If it's better than Vivid then I may give it a shot at some point. Though I'd only really given Vivid a shot largely because I knew Nanoha and Fate would be involved. The enormous paradigm shift in the series was actually not really something I'd been expecting, though it was by itself tolerable.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

she be ded

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

I love the two artworks at the start of this chapter.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

KUROSSU KAUNTAA!?

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

I like that they explained how Vivio escaped the attack.

I do wonder if at first they were just gonna say 'Vivio just tanked it' then they were flooded with comments like on this forum. lol

joined Apr 1, 2017

I think its kind of worse than tanking it. The way its explained, if she didn't dodge it she would have literally fucking died from that attack. They foreshadowed this sort of thing a while ago where that one dude told she she was basically putting her life on the line in every fight because of her retarded fighting style. Isn't it great that Vivio almost made her own mother murder her in front of thousands of people?

joined Feb 23, 2016

Oof i dunno

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Finally over, a last Vivio lose because win against Nanoha will be unacceptable, After 100 chapter,they never confirmed Nanoha x Fate relationship and even this chapter reforced that Nanoha is the real mom while Fate is more like a extra.
Well, that cover page show all the girls La Pucelle will tailed.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

I think its kind of worse than tanking it. The way its explained, if she didn't dodge it she would have literally fucking died from that attack. They foreshadowed this sort of thing a while ago where that one dude told she she was basically putting her life on the line in every fight because of her retarded fighting style. Isn't it great that Vivio almost made her own mother murder her in front of thousands of people?

I have to a agree, the explanation is kind of nonsense. I don't even know anymore if the damage is still supposed to be simulated in these battles since in the past we have gotten contradictory information from the story, so it isn't certain if she was really at risk.

Finally over, a last Vivio lose because win against Nanoha will be unacceptable, After 100 chapter,they never confirmed Nanoha x Fate relationship and even this chapter reforced that Nanoha is the real mom while Fate is more like a extra.

I don't think I should take anything posted by Mugino in this thread at face value, but in canon Nanoha and Fate are married at this point and Vivio is officially and legally their daughter.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I have to a agree, the explanation is kind of nonsense. I don't even know anymore if the damage is still supposed to be simulated in these battles since in the past we have gotten contradictory information from the story, so it isn't certain if she was really at risk.

That has been one of my problems with this series from early on, with the ridiculous power levels of the characters making it really hard to fit this in the context of earlier Nanoha stories. That and making it a random martial arts tournament out of nowhere never really sat right with me. One wonders if such a tournament is the right place to risk your life in a silly exhibition match against your mom, but hey.

The cast has also ballooned to even more ridiculous numbers than Strikers, which already had problems keeping a single good story going, instead opting to juggle several with less than great results. All these super powered little girls start to look the same over time, not to mention they retroactively make the original cast feel less special, but that goes back to how hard it is to pin down how powerful they are really supposed to be.

In short, this series is kind of a mess isn't it.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

In short, this series is kind of a mess isn't it.

Tsuzuki is kind of hit and miss with his plots, I suspect this manga was meant to be less serious but after he realized that Nanoha Force was flopping he decided to slightly change Vivid's original direction. But that's just a personal theory, I don't think he's a particularly skilled writer, but he has made some really good characters in this franchise, few can match the legacy of Nanoha and Fate.

joined May 24, 2014

Sorry vivio, mommy is ALWAYS on top of you!

joined Apr 28, 2014

Personally, I think the large cast would be fine if they stopped to flesh them out. I mean, we liked Hayate and crew because the plot spent a lot of time establishing their personalities, their motivations, what they stand to lose and gain in their arcs. All of these characters are just there to fill space and explain to the audience how Vivid's fights work. I mean, Hero Aca has a huge cast, but they all work in service to the story, they aren't just Midoriya's hype squad.

(Personal gripe: Every time I see a tie in a fight like this all I can see is "the author didn't want to commit to a decision here." And there are a lot of ties in Vivid.)

last edited at Apr 25, 2019 3:56AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

When Nanoha says "I love you" to someone, you know they're pretty much fucked (and not in the lewd way).

To reply you must either login or sign up.