Forum › Nanashi no Asterism discussion

joined Feb 23, 2016

Asakura thought he almost turned gay for a second .-. Hahaha! And Someone really loves their big sister~(OvO)

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

It certainly does seem to be a slow boiling manga, which isn't really a bad thing from my point of view. For stories like this I think a more patient outlook would be warranted. Sixteen chapters isn't a whole lot by any metric outside of shorts and this author is definitely building for a longer run rather than a shorter one. Obviously it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's not terrible that it isn't.

The thing is I actually like slow-boiled development. But it has to be mainly about 1, or two, or at most 3 characters if it is love triangle.

5 ways relationship with constant change of narrators, and most just hindered each other.... is just too much for me...

last edited at Jan 1, 2017 1:56PM

Dynasty9
joined Aug 21, 2016

Houston we have a problem. Yaoi-shuttle has just launched off I repeat, Yaoi-shuttle just finally took off.

Chikane
joined Feb 5, 2016

Ok, so this prob have been ask before but does Kotooka like Tsukasa but repressing her feelings, bc im getting mixed signals or whtever kinda confused here ( ̄. ̄;)

joined Jun 30, 2015

Ok, so this prob have been ask before but does Kotooka like Tsukasa but repressing her feelings, bc im getting mixed signals or whtever kinda confused here ( ̄. ̄;)

Yup. She stays behind afterschool to watch her, and Tsukasa compliments her happily about her cooking.

Kotooka learned to make cream puffs to make Tsukasa happy.

Little Bits Of Mini
Josuke
joined Nov 8, 2013

Wow, Washio is kinda sexy now. Too bad she's unaware of Tsukasa's feelings for her :(

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Kotooka can go sit on hot iron, for all I care. It's not about the fact that she's manipulating and hurting everybody. It's the fact that she thinks it's all about herself. Go eat a cactus, you self centered asshole

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Houston we have a problem. Yaoi-shuttle has just launched off I repeat, Yaoi-shuttle just finally took off.

That is the opposite of a problem, really

Fear-dull02
joined Jan 1, 2017

I like this same reasoning but through similar yet different circumstances that Tsukasa and Washio share. Tsukasa is one who finds that her crush having a crush on someone else, and Washio is one who finds that her crush knows about her feelings and is turning her down. Though a bit different, they both result in heartbreak, and both resolve to continue to try to win over their respective crush. Washo's is a bit more egoistic though since she knows her crush is actively turning her down, but still wants to try. And that also makes Washio similar to Asakura as he hasn't given up on Tsukasa even when she turned him down.

last edited at Jan 1, 2017 11:18PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

That's what love does to us, we become selfish because our emotions and feelings ruled over us and the only thing we want is to be with that person. Moreover, Washio is heartbroken causing her thoughts to become disarray and she can't think straight. Honestly, I can relate when I was a teenager, I neglect my friend, the one who supports me because I focus too much on trying to get the attention of someone I was in love with but she likes me as a friend. But hey! I gain +1 life experience. Nowadays, I don't go, "She is rejecting me!!! I must try to find a way to catch her KOKOROOOO!!" shit. (sorry for my bad Engrish)

Maybe it's just me, but i've never neglected any of my friends whenever i was in love. Especially not the ones who supported me the most. I do get why she's so focused on her 1st crush, but imo, she's letting that emotion cloud her vision of the people around her. Luckily, it seems that she's starting to change for her sake and not only for Kotooka's sake, so at least theres that. She really needs to let her go though, it would hurt her way more in the future if she realizes who Kotooka really likes.

BTW, Bad engrish? Dude that was great, i would never have guessed you're not a native speaker if you didn't pointed out.

Fear-dull02
joined Jan 1, 2017

I do get why she's so focused on her 1st crush,

It's not her first crush. That's plot device-kun.

last edited at Jan 1, 2017 9:50PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Oh yeah, i forgot about that guy. Well, i could see why she's so focused on her 2nd crush.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

The only thing about this manga is I want them all to be happy...

It seems like the resolution for Subaru's complex is for him to get with Asakura - when he's not being "left behind" but is "going ahead" instead. And it's clear that it's heading that way. Probably he's going to get caught out and then confessed to maybe.

Washio I sympathize with - I think it's unfair to fault her for being "selfish" in love, as romantic love and desire is naturally selfish in this respect. She's out to win, if she has to play the game she will. I find Kotooka more annoying, she's hurting one person to maintain some sort of status quo that doesn't need to be and can't be maintained. Plus I find it annoying that she's in the lesbian clique, realizes everyone is lesbian, and feels like she's obligated to bring down everyone with straight norms. But I want her punishment to be falling for Washio and getting more than she ever thought possible. There have been some hints about her past and her being boyish then, I really suspect she's just really having trouble coming to terms with herself.

But I don't want Tsukasa to be sad either... It's a shame because she's the most open and honest of them all. And she doesn't have the manner of Washio, who seems like she could easily seduce lots of girls. Then again, she does tick a lot of boxes and is one haircut away from being the sort of sporty prince archetype that's all over. I guess I feel like she's the least likely to angst over her own identity, over liking girls. So I guess I expect her to be happy in the end even if it wasn't in the frame of this manga? In real life I wouldn't be so cavalier in judgement, the people you expect to be okay often turn out to be fragile and the people you think are a mess turn out strong...

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I kinda wonder if plot device-kun isn't Kotooka, it might be too convenient but I almost expect it as it's so common a plot device.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I kinda wonder if plot device-kun isn't Kotooka, it might be too convenient but I almost expect it as it's so common a plot device.

Doesn't fit her character. If anything, it might be Tsukasa since she actually collects items with food printed on them.

Although, i wouldn't be surprised if that guy turns out to be completely irrelevant to the whole story past the scene where Washio explains why she fell in love with him.

joined May 1, 2013

I'm actually finding Kotooka the most interesting and sympathetic character, because you can see her going through this process of deliberately deciding to be miserable because she thinks it's better than the alternative.

She knows she's been attracted to girls for a while, or she wouldn't so desperately be trying to turn herself "normal." I figure her main motivation isn't "girls should like boys" but rather a sense that straight girls are going to break her heart: Shiratori and Washio are just going to get over their gay phases eventually, and damn it, Kotooka is going to get to that point without getting her hopes up. It's a little more nuanced than I originally expected.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

One one hand, I'm impressed that we have two characters in a love triangle that have noticed each other's feelings; on the other hand, ...they are both still pretty immature and opt to hold onto their "secrets".

I guess it's a cultural difference, but...man, the lack of communication in these romance manga's is aggravating at times. They always do this angst-generating (chapter-generating) dance. One talk could solve so many problems...

I was pleased by Washio's whole crying breakdown, but then she just... rolls over. Lame. I can't say her choice is realistic, especially for a middle schooler??, but she was already the boring, too-perfect knight in my head. This is just makes her more boring.

I'm down to only liking Tsukasa and Asakura--as individuals--not as a couple. They're the only characters whose flaws don't rub me the wrong way. I actually find Asakura somewhat interesting. He's cool, or something. Not perfect, comfortable in his own skin and not too put-together. And he stated his feelings outright (at least once). Tsukasa... is a typical pure-hearted-supportive-friend protagonist at this point. I have to remind myself she's one of the main characters, but I don't have any reason to dislike her.

The brother needs to go...or someone needs to call an intervention. So much lying. Ugh!

Kotooka is by far the most interesting character, albeit the most divisive (in this forum and in the story). She can even make Washio seem interesting. I don't see this as a dark series, but if it were, watching her self-destruct could raise this story a level in my eyes.

@Author, please show these characters maturing into more appealing people (preferably sooner rather than later).

Ss%20(2016-01-19%20at%2001.51.36)%201
joined Aug 19, 2014

I'm having a hard time understanding why Washio even likes Kotooka from reading the two chapters from her perspective.

Washio seems to have originally thought that her liking Kotooka was a temporary thing that was going to pass, but by the time she witnesses her crying over the breakup, and them meeting in the astronamy club to the current not-so-subtle rejections from Kotooka those feelings look to have been solidified and are no longer a temporary thing judging by her, "I won't deny my feelings" line. But when asked by Tsukasa she said something like, "I liked her hands." And in her perspective it focuses on how girly and unpredictable she is as a person, so does she like her mainly for looks or her unpredictable personality?

Overall I enjoy Washio's character, I feel like she takes the realistic aspect of, "I have strong feelings for my friend, but instead of acting on them I will continue to be their friend instead of losing that friendship," and runs with it well. Plus the pages of her crying was way too relatable. I'm hoping that with her assertion that Scorpios are the most passionate that she'll take a few more steps towards progressing their relationship.

I'm undecided on how I feel about Kotooka, overall I find her to be needlessly rude towards Asakura, and don't really enjoy the roundabout way she's going at dating other guys to shoot down Washio's hopes, but that last sentiment has died down a bit since we're shown that she's doing it in an attempt to be more normal. Can't really blame her for that.

I felt like when Kotooka was going to tell Washio and Tsukasa something at the fast food place, that she was going to reveal the feelings that everyone had for each other, or something along those lines, to cut off any hopes for a relationship that won't last so she could instead focus on moving past it. But I think Kotooka's conversation with Asakura made her realize how important the friendship she has with them is over a possible romantic relationship.

Best case scenario I want all three to end up together, but I'm not expecting a happy outcome, however I will enjoy the read until we get there.

last edited at Jan 2, 2017 5:32AM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

@Black Paw Pretty good first post, welcome to the forums :)

Anyways, i do not think Kotooka was going to talk about something like that at a restaurant. It's just a way of pushing Tsukasa more towards Washio since she would be heartbroken and Tsukasa would obviously try to make her feel better. I think she was just going to tell everyone that she started dating a new guy and that she was serious about it, thats why the topic is never brought up again.

About the ending, i believe the ending would have at least one girl with her hear broken and for some reason i'm heavily leaning towards Washio as to being the one heartbroken. She would try to get closer to Kotooka in an attempt to win her over, but instead would hear the truth about why she wants to fall in love with a guy so desperately and how she feels about Tsukasa. I used to believe that Kotooka would be the one who would get Washio and Tsukasa together in the end since she's the balance of the group and everything, but after seeing how she actually cares about Tsukasa and how she probably has suffered in the past due to her "weird" feelings, i think she's going to be the one with the semi-happy ending. Or at least i hope so, a friendship ending is also likely, but less interesting to me.

Fear-dull02
joined Jan 1, 2017

Washio I sympathize with - I think it's unfair to fault her for being "selfish" in love, as romantic love and desire is naturally selfish in this respect. She's out to win, if she has to play the game she will.

That's why I like Washio a lot. She's going for it now at least. And damn it I think she's cool!

The problem is she's playing a losing game, and that continuing to vie for Kotooka's affection is only going to continue to hurt Tsukasa unwittingly, and put Kotooka in a tough spot. Kotooka has a point about Washio not knowing anything. She doesn't know Tsukasa has feelings for her, and while she knows that Kotooka knows about her crush, she doesn't know how seriously Kotooka is trying to keep things in "balance". It doesn't help that she realizes Kotooka is shooting her down in a indirect way, but is going to continue to try to win her over. She knows one aspect of the situation, but not the whole picture.

My main point is Washio is as much a flawed character as the rest of the girls. She's keeping what she knows a secret so that she can run away from the reality that Kotooka doesn't think of her that way. What's critical is that she doesn't need to be pretend to not know to continue to vie for her feelings. I mean Asakura is proof of that. But it's safer for her as it acts as a sort of protection. Still, what this is going to do is put Kotooka more on the spot from Washio continuing to not "take the hints", and push her to take more extreme measures, while Tsukasa is going to resent Kotooka more by rejecting Washio's advances.

last edited at Jan 2, 2017 1:58PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

My thing with this story is how no ones love is mutual, so it's hard to ship them.
I liked Tsukasa x Washio, but the latter seems too much in love with Katooka for that, and also there are barely any hints that she might lean towards Tsukasa.
Katooka is a b!tch, I don't like her. She crosses the line for likable antagonistic type of character for me, since I can't see any good traits in her.

I think the plot might become a bit too complicated, like someone's arc involving "I know that she knows that I know that she knows" type of secret.

Only good development so far is the guys, and I have a feeling Kyosuke (?) will say he knew that this was Tsukasa's brother all along.
I think yaoi can exist inside Yuri stories, like Their Story, but here the yaoi is becoming better than the Yuri ships, so it's a bit off balanced for a primarily Yuri story.

last edited at Jan 2, 2017 1:58PM

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I felt and feel the same way about all of those points @MacySan.

It's ...odd how complicated the plot id for the lack of it. So far this is one big setup--a series of gatchas. There's been little to no narrative progression. Learning moments for each of the characters are few: the boys leading, then Kotooka. The latest flavor of "x knows, but y doesn't know" is willful ignorance. (Subaru wants to remain in the dark about his sister's love interest.)

Why, again, is this tagged comedy?

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

I'm a hardcore Yuri fan but damn..The yaoi part is much more interesting in this story..lol

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

My honest thoughts? It's extremely clear that none of the thee girls have the slightest interest in the girl that likes them. Like, their loves aren't just normal unrequited, they're super mega ultra unrequited. I can't see this love triangle going anywhere. Only potential romance in my opinion is the glasses guy and Tsukasa's brother.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

My honest thoughts? It's extremely clear that none of the thee girls have the slightest interest in the girl that likes them. Like, their loves aren't just normal unrequited, they're super mega ultra unrequited. I can't see this love triangle going anywhere. Only potential romance in my opinion is the glasses guy and Tsukasa's brother.

I mean, thats the only place to go if you don't want to break anyone's heart. To me, it seems that Kotooka is the one who's going to get the happy ending. I'm basing this opinion on nothing but yuri tropes alone, the girl who's suffering the most is always the one who gets to have the happy ending in most yuri stories, and to me that would be Kotooka since she probably cries herself to sleep every day since she thinks she would never be able to be truly happy in love and that is thanks to some traumatic experience in the past. That alone screams yuri winner to me. If i were to bet right now, i'll bet 2 bucks that she wins the Tsukasabowl since i'm broke af.

To reply you must either login or sign up.