joined Feb 8, 2013

Daaaaaaaaaamn why so short?
Ahh I want them kiss!!!1 ^3^

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

In the words of the infamous Candy:
I would reject this present if I was Umi.

I'm starting a Kickstarter for Japanese lessons for Zuiccraft. Rip tmnr

last edited at Mar 20, 2016 6:40PM

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

I would reject this present if I was Umi.

lol you heartless bastard

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

Eri is so adorable!

where's your avatar from? :D

216139_4178547737_8655_n%20resize%202
joined Jul 29, 2015

Self induced trauma due to incredible dedication. I feel like I should feel bad about laughing at Eli's plight on page one.

Koro-sensei-avatars.alphacoders.com
joined Feb 18, 2016

:it ended Much sooner than I thought it would!
:Ill think of it every time I open a box

Img_283753346996831
joined Jan 12, 2014

I blame yukiiti that now i betray NozoEli

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

edit: keeping the below for posterity, but it was referring to a previous release by zuiccraft.

Now... I normally try not to start drama about things, but tMnR is one of my favourite Love Live artists, and I hate to see her works being... rather poorly done. So I thought I'd write up a quick critique of this release from the perspective of a translator.

Let me tell you: there are lots of mistakes. Rather egregious ones at that. I've decided to avoid commenting on the other issues I see (awkward wording, missing punctuation, poor editing/typesetting, etc.) which tend to be more subjective, and just focus on the raw facts of completely incorrect translations.

If the translator happens to read this, I'm happy to talk you through things in more detail or debate the merits of a translation decision. (Happy to talk to anyone about it really. I'm not infallible, and I love to discuss & learn from my mistakes!) You can easily contact me on Twitter (@shimapanda_) if need be!

Page 1

"Eh, Eli? You're hurting me"
==>
"E-Eli?! You were already here?!"
(lit. "You had already come?", 来ていたのですか)

I don't understand how the translation was this incorrect, to be honest. 来る is a very simple/common verb.

"I expected you to schedule this during the weekend..."
==>
"I-I thought the plan was for you to come over on the weekend...?"

In this case, it's just plain misunderstanding of the copula (だ) vs. the verbal noun form (~する). They are not making a plan (予定する), they have a plan (予定だった).

"Uuuuugh"
==>
*squeeeeze*

This bubble is a SFX. ぎゅう, to hug/squeeze. It's about Eli being so scared she's clinging to Umi.

"Were you obliged to wait for me in the dark?"
==>
"You didn't have to force yourself to wait for me in the dark, you know."

Misunderstanding of the ~なくてもいい form, i.e., "you don't have to~". 無理に as "obliged" is not... strictly incorrect, but is a really awkward word choice in this case. 無理 is closer to "feel obliged to", i.e. a personal decision that you force yourself to do something because you think you should, rather than simply "obliged to", i.e. a decision made for you that you are forced to do.

Page 2

"I wonder if it's too soon to give you your gift"
==>
"Well, I guess it's about time to give you your gift."

... well, my translation for this is a bit meh. But the point of this sentence is she's trying to segue from a previous conversation into the gift-giving. (Hence the こほん, *cough*, next to her.)

"Yes... I'm probably not so good, though"
==>
"Yes... Well, it's only a hobby of mine, though."

「嗜む程度」 is an interesting word ==> http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E3%81%9F%E3%81%97%E3%81%AA%E3%82%80%E7%A8%8B%E5%BA%A6

It means something you do sometimes because you enjoy doing it. It's not that you aren't interested interested in it, neither are you super obsessed with it. It's just something you enjoy somewhat and so you do it when you feel like it. I thought "doing it as a hobby" was about the closest phrase in English for this case, particularly for a musical instrument - playing guitar as a hobby vs. playing it seriously makes a lot of sense.

I want to iterate again that I don't want to start drama here, but I hate to see things with this many mistakes be widely consumed. It's a shame for you as a reader to not get to experience the story tMnR wanted to express; and it's a shame for the artist themselves to be so poorly represented in English as well.

last edited at Mar 26, 2016 7:06AM

13923653_1771515986467116_552673524643254779_o
joined Mar 16, 2016

AAALL HAAAIILLLL YUKITI SAAAMMAAA ( /-___-)/

Buutt whhyyy only 5 piece of paper?

i need moorree

_20160312_005637
joined Jan 30, 2016

Oh god. Tmnr's UmiEli is just too adorable it makes me forget my OTP at some points.

joined Aug 16, 2015

It's always nice to see someone give criticism to someone else without straight up insulting them. I'm not the one who did this one, but I'll thank you anyway, Shimapanda. We need more people like you.

last edited at Mar 21, 2016 8:24AM

Profileaavatar
joined Mar 22, 2016

Umi x Eli are so cute! :3

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Updated with new version.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Minor consideration -- and this is just me being a drunk nitpicker who wouldn't give a shit except I used to write like this when I was younger -- I think a line like this:

"If I recall correctly, our arrangement was for you to come over on the weekend"

is stilted and ought to be replaced by

"I thought we agreed you wouldn't come over until the weekend?" or maybe "I thought you weren't going to come over until the weekend"

Other nitpicks / matters of taste:

Think "so don't expect too much, alright?" is also a tad awkward, might replace with maybe "so don't get too excited, OK?"

Similarly, I might change "...Somehow it's really embarrassing, so turn around, Umi" with "Turn around! It's embarrassing when you stare at me, Umi..." or something more like that.

But, I mean, I'm anal-retentive like that. Feel free to ignore as necessary.

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Minor consideration -- and this is just me being a drunk nitpicker who wouldn't give a shit except I used to write like this when I was younger -- I think a line like this:

"If I recall correctly, our arrangement was for you to come over on the weekend"

is stilted and ought to be replaced by

"I thought we agreed you wouldn't come over until the weekend?" or maybe "I thought you weren't going to come over until the weekend"

Other nitpicks / matters of taste:

Think "so don't expect too much, alright?" is also a tad awkward, might replace with maybe "so don't get too excited, OK?"

Similarly, I might change "...Somehow it's really embarrassing, so turn around, Umi" with "Turn around! It's embarrassing when you stare at me, Umi..." or something more like that.

But, I mean, I'm anal-retentive like that. Feel free to ignore as necessary.

Strongly encourage you to start qcing things if you don't already do that somewhere else.

Img_1317
joined Jan 19, 2015

oh my god umi's crying (out of joy I hope) hELP

Rikyako%20elephant
joined Sep 26, 2016

oh my god umi's crying (out of joy I hope) hELP

Didn't even notice that lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.