Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Don´t you believe that something might happen to the health of Sungji? I hope not.
and finally you remember also in episode 26 Sumin says she doesn´t have a car, and Seju remembers having given her a car.

Ah, that also make sense. i can think of a of scenario where Sungji gets sick, die, and her death then will unite Seju and Sumin once again haha (I'm delusional, I know ><).
Yes, chapter 26. In the last chapter, it's shown that Seju gave her a car, but in chapter 26, she doesn't know what to do with the car freshener because she doesn't have a car. Maybe that time Sumin left Seju, she also left everything she have behind.

Why Seju? Sungji is younger, so her organ would be healthier. haha

Because of her fubar situation and because she would do anything for Sumin. But you're right, Sungji's organs would be healthier hahaha.

Guys, let's guess, for the next chapter whether Seju will go into the house or just let Sumin and Sungji alone. I think she will leave, but I wish she will go into the house. Conversations between those three, we've never seen it, haven't we. I wonder if it's like a battlefield.

I think she will leave, and bring up a conversation about it later. I don't think Seju's the type to let all hell break lose, but you'll never know.

From what I see Seju is probably soon going to find out that Sehyun is actually her father, and possibly meet her mother..

I've been suspecting that Sehyun is Seju's real father, but in chapter 19, it's mentioned that they have already run a DNA test on Seju, and it's implied that the result is she is the old man's daughter. So, I'm doubting that Sehyun is her real father. However it might be possible that Sehyun cares for Seju because she is a spitting image or her mother that he loves.

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 5:33AM

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

If we combined some comments above, then we would get 4 super bad scenarios. If one of these scenarios happens, we are free from shipping any couple.

• Sumin back sick becomes severe. Sungji will commit suicide to donate her organs to help Sumin since she is younger than Seju, her organs are healthier. (#TeamPink)

• Sumin back sick becomes severe. Seju will commit suicide to donate her organs to help Sumin since she is in her fubar situation anyway. (#TeamBlonde)

• Sungji's weight loss is a symptom of some kind of fatal illness, so she die at the end. (#TeamPink)

• Seju's bad driving manner in this chapter will cause her into a car accident, so she dies at the end. (#TeamBlonde)

I'm just kidding (─‿‿─)

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

I'm still wondering, in chapter 27, did Seju just up and leave Sumin's apartment without saying a word, or did she happen to say anything to Sungji? And Sungji doesn't seem curious at all about that. I'm just kind of curious.

You make me really curious about that. I think Seju would leave since she told Sungji to be quiet to give Sumin a peaceful sleep. Why didn't Sungji ask Sumin on the next day?????

joined Jan 17, 2016
  • Seju's bad driving manner in this chapter will cause her into a car accident, so she dies at the end.

I really think that scenario is quite probable ..i mean i really do think something bad will happen to seju ..i don't really know what her father and that guy talking about but pretty sure its bad .at some point seju will break and i love to see that happens .. she keeps saying that she is fine and doesn't care but she really isn't . I just love to see a big fight with her and sumin .and maybe even firing sumin or sungi so shit turns real.
    I just dont understand how sumin can take all of seju gifts and cars and everything for granted like seriusly i think seju deserves better than sumin like what's good about sumin anyway ..
    But i'm team pink anyway and seju obviously loves sumin so if the auther need a happy ending for seju without sumin she need hell of good writing to do

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

You make me really curious about that. I think Seju would leave since she told Sungji to be quiet to give Sumin a peaceful sleep. Why didn't Sungji ask Sumin on the next day?????

Because Sungji never gets angry or suspicious about anything. I mean, she saw Sumin going inside the office with that redhead, then getting out obviously upset. And apparently that wasn't a sign to her that Sumin had something more than just a "friendly" past with the redhead. She just asked once or twice and then forgot about it.
She almost never confronts Sumin. She's 24, but kinda feels younger so sometimes tbh.

I just dont understand how sumin can take all of seju gifts and cars and everything for granted like seroiusly i think seju deserves better than sumin like what's good about sumin anyway ..
But i'm team pink anyway and seju obviously loves sumin so if the auther need a happy ending for seju without sumin she need hell of good writing to do

My thoughts exactly. Sumin always takes Seju for granted. To be fair, Seju always gives everything to Sumin too. Both are at fault. I was TeamPink because Seju loves Sumin.
Sometimes Sungji still feels not enough to make Sumin change to her core. It feels so sudden that Sumin has healled from her past for Sungji who doesn't even confront her. It's quite unrealistic imo.

Also I don't believe anyone will die. I don't think the authors are the type who add some small detail in a chapter, to only use it 40 chapters later. Sungji's weight loss was probably a symbolism how her relationship with Sumin was taking its toll on her.

If anyone gets physically hurt, that would be Seju. Although I don't think she will die. Maybe Gaji will use an accident to redeem Seju's character in Sumin's eyes or something.
And then Nami will appear, and suddenly Seju will feel like her hate for her was actually surpressed love all along, so they will start dating lol

joined Feb 19, 2016

sia ue

A serious threesome relationship, I wonder if it really does exist. (-’_’-) ???

Polyamorous People do exist! ^^

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

Okay, yes Sungji can be a bit naive, but I can see perfectly how Sumin is in love with her -.-... She has no reason to return to Seju... Even if she has changed as a person and feels like she forgives Seju that doesn't mean that she will go back to her because she has Sungji now!! The fact that you mature and grow up and realize that maybe you made some mistakes (for example; not giving Seju a second chance) doesn't mean you are going to throw everything you have now out of the window and go back to the past. That would be immature in itself.
Also I pointed out this before but there is a problem with the narrative in getting Sumin and Seju together but I will explain it better. This story is a bit complex but the way I see it is as two parallel stories. In one Sumin is the narrator and in the other it's Seju. Seju's story is a subplot, in her story she is the protagonist/main/focal character and narrator.
Sumin's story is about her and Sungji and her flashbacks. In this case she is the focal character and the narrator but the protagonist is Sungji, she is the character we are compelled to sympathize with. We did get some details from Sungji's point of view (I remember her being really pretty specifically) but most of them we get through dialogue in contrast to Sumin.
For this reason if Sumin ends up with Seju, Sungji will have no relevance to the story anymore and that would be messing up the narrative. In order to make her relevant the story would have to focus on her feelings which would feel like a completely separate part from the actual story so it wouldn't work either.
However, I have thought a way in which Sumin could certainly end up with Seju, I remember a manga I read last summer; Hoshi wa Utau. So I think Sungji could still interact with Sumin even while she chooses to go back to Seju and even find the strength to support her in that decision. This way the narrative wouldn't be messed up. Or maybe she could rival Seju and in the very end Sumin will end it. I hope neither of those happen though -.-
But to be honest Seju is indeed relevant. If the story was just about Sumin and Sungji there would be no need for Seju to be there but I think there will be some misunderstandings and doubts in Sumin's heart >.>... and that Sungji will get hurt. Then, maybe Sumin will finally show her character development by giving it her all to clear the misunderstanding.
And I think Sungji is going to have more character development. I still remember how at first she seemed really weird but then we found out she was really sensitive and emotional. I still think she's 'hiding' more things. And now that Sumin is more sweet to her I think we will find out. Also she didn't confront Sumin about Seju but at the same time I would argue that Sumin's past doesn't matter and that she was not wrong in that. She actually did confront her in these past chapters, telling her that she was ready and asking if Sumin wanted her so I think she did have some development!
I don't understand why some people just deem her too immature and inexperienced and generally different from Sumin. Why does the girl who works so hard and genuinely loves someone has to be dumped for the ex that cheated on that someone? And it's not like we see Sumin and Seju have anything in common. I think Sumin was enjoying her time with Sungji but she had grown unused to certain things she liked in the past so she was a bit tense but in the end she managed to loosen up.
Also I wouldn't take Sumin not giving gifts to Seju so literally, it is very likely that we are just seeing the instances where Seju gave things to Sumin and not vice versa. Also that plush toy was the cutest gift ever -.-
Also this is not Seju's story, even if the main characters get a happy ending she doesn't need one I think. But I think it would be kind of cruel to just make her suffer. I think she needs an ending with a positive note and hope for the future. Also, I don't think Nami is just a random character and there's also this thing where you get irritate with someone you're secretly kind of attracted to... There is not enough space is the story to make them end up together but they don't have to. Maybe just show some connection between them.

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 1:46PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Also this is not Seju's story, even if the main characters get a happy ending she doesn't need one I think.

Since when Seju is not a main character and this is also not her story? And if she doesn't get a happy ending then this won't be a healing story.

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 1:53PM

joined Mar 8, 2014

Also this is not Seju's story, even if the main characters get a happy ending she doesn't need one I think.

Since when Seju is not a main character and this is also not her story? And if she doesn't get a happy ending then this won't be a healing story.

Well she is one of the main characters but the most important ones are Sumin and Sungji right now. It's not really her story I think. She is just a character related to Sumin's past and she is probably going to play a role in her relationship with Sungji now but the story is not centered around her I mean. What does a happy ending exactly mean? Does she have to end up with someone for this to be a healing story? Doesn't it also constitute a healing story if she just decides to leave the past behind and get over Sumin and look forward to a new love?

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

There's no most important main characters, they're all equally important, it's true that now the story is focusing on Sumin and Sungji, but the story is not about their relationship, a happy end can be in various ways, I never said Seju need to end with someone, but you said she doesn't need one if Sumin and Sungji get theirs, but then it would outright go against what WDTFS is about, the healing of Seju and Sumin after 10 years of having their fucked up relationship, Sungji is a main character, but the main plot was always about Seju and Sumin relationship and problems.

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 2:32PM

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Well she is one of the main characters but the most important ones are Sumin and Sungji right now. It's not really her story I think. She is just a character related to Sumin's past and she is probably going to play a role in her relationship with Sungji now but the story is not centered around her I mean.

She is also a main character in this story and also an important character. Just because the story is currently focusing on Sumin and Sungji it doesn't mean that they are the only important characters in the story. It is her story as well, because this story is about the three of them. Seju is not just a character related to Sumin's past, because if she is, the author would've ditched her long ago. Also this story is a healing story, not a triangle love story so there won't be any rivalry between Sungji and Seju, said the author. The author even considered a threesome ending, so how come Seju is just a ghost of Sumin's past?

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 3:03PM

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Faylicia made more points I agree with than disagree with, but the post is too long for me to parse out the whole thing lol.

For sure I think Sungji's story needs to be fleshed out more, since it's totally bizarre how completely obvious she is to these other women (lesbians...) in Sumin's life. Maybe she's the only character without the amazing gaydar or women's intuition. I still think (and hold out hope that) she'll turn out to be one of the smarter, more introspective and observant characters out of the story. I thought that was the point the author was trying to make when in the early chapters she was giving the most level-headed relationship advice to her friend, even though she's inexperienced.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't understand why some people just deem her too immature and inexperienced and generally different from Sumin. Why does the girl who works so hard and genuinely loves someone has to be dumped for the ex that cheated on that someone? And it's not like we see Sumin and Seju have anything in common.

Also this is not Seju's story

Analysing Sungji's character (and pointing out her weak spots) versus thinking Sumin with end up with Seju instead of her, are two completely different things.
I'm around her age and know a lot of people around this age too, so I have a general knowledge of how people in this age group act in general. Of course everyone is different, and you can always find everyone different type of character.

Also being a main character does not mean it's a rule that they have to always end up with the other main character too.
A story can be about how the characters develop and change through it, it's doesn't always have to be about who ends up with whom.
Not saying Sumin won't end up with Sungji, just pointing that this doesn'tprove anything.

joined Mar 8, 2014

It is not the fact that they are main characters, it's just the fact that it should be carefully done in order to keep the narrative consistent. It's not related to them being the main characters. It's just that it must be done in a way that doesn't mess up their roles in the story.
Hm, yes she is important I was just saying I think not as important. I thought the threesome ending was a joke... I can't even picture Sungji being even slightly attracted to Seju at any point and even if she did it seems like the sort of thing that would give Sumin nightmares -> and that scene makes me think it's a joke.
To be honest I think Sungji might act a bit younger than her age when it comes to love.

I thought that was the point the author was trying to make when in the early chapters she was giving the most level-headed relationship advice to her friend, even though she's inexperienced.

Also yes, I totally agree with this. I think Sungji might not be very intuitive when it comes to love things and is also quite sensitive but when given all the information she is able to make rational and intelligent choices. She is not as cunning most of the times but I think she could be if she tried and that she can also be very caring and sensitive about other's feelings.

a happy end can be in various ways, I never said Seju need to end with someone,

Yes, I know, I said that in response to someone saying that it really needed good writing for Seju to have a happy ending but I think it would be pretty simple, unless that happy ending entails getting together with someone.

To be honest I think Sungji might act a bit younger than her age when it comes to love.
I don't know if the other characters are more relatable to most people here. But I really relate a lot with Sungji and sympathize with her. Getting a crush so fast and not even knowing when I got it and having my eyes on a cool woman while a guy is trying to make a move on me and me trying to just be friends with him and unconsciously ending up doing dumb/exaggerated things because I'm not sure how to handle my feelings; like being super obvious about liking someone. But I'm younger than Sungji that's why I said I think she might not be acting that much her age... which might be a bit unrealistic; that she wouldn't have experienced a crush before. But I guess it is possible, especially since she wasn't thinking about romance. Also it's done for convenience purposes, since the story is about an employee in a company falling in love with her boss she can't be very young.

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 5:29PM

Photo
joined Feb 13, 2016

In my opinion, the issue regarding Sungji's character isn't about maturity. Actually, Sungji seems more mature than Sumin and Seju sometimes. She's introspective and don't run away from her problems. She's honest and strong. But she's way too innocent. And the problem is I don't think she will ever develop in that sense. I mean, other characters all have some bad side about them, something that can make them detestable:

• Sumin: hurt Seju intentionally out of revenge and kept coming back to her whenever her relationships didn't work, even though she knew Seju was still in love with her. BUT we also see a side of Sumin that cares about Sungji enough to wait and make sure she won't hurt her.

• Seju: resents her family and even her mother - who she wishes to be in hell in a point of the series for "irresponsibly dying" on her birth; MAY be cunning since childhood (I know many of you wont agree with this) and cheated on the person who taught her what love is. BUT Seju stubbornly waited ten years for Sumin to come back, because she has faith in her love.

• Nam: states proudly that she uses people to go up in her career. But is perceptive enough to realize cold-spoiled-rich pink haired woman isn't so strong and offers her a hand even though she is constantly turned down.

What about Sungji? She doesn't have a "dark side". Team Gaji may develop her character in many ways, but I doubt it will ever be in the sense of showing some selfish or violent side of her. Sungji will probably develop as a victim, getting hurt but being strong enough to forgive.

I get she's still young and a late-bloomer. But it's kind of unreal that someone her age doesn't have at least some flaw; something that makes her incredible for - despite having a bad side, selfish thoughts or irresponsible mistakes - being able to be a good person too. Sungji lacks this kind of complexity. I'm her age. I get that some people may lack romantic experience; but she lacks more than that, which makes her a cute but somewhat boring character to me.

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 6:16PM

joined Mar 8, 2014

Yeah, I didn't mean she is immature but she definitely acts a bit younger than her age.
W-well, I don't know... I think we might see some of that later on... she might be a bit clingy and jealous (she seems like the type who would be) and an interesting way to go about it would be to have her let guys flirt with her in response to her jealousy or something. Not like actively flirty with them but yeah... I think it would be interesting because we keep seeing flashbacks of Sumin and Seju, comparing her with Sungji. Also because there was a flashback of Sungji's childhood and how she disliked everyone 'looking at her'. She could now turn things around and take advantage of that. I think the story could reach a point where Sungji might do something; without realizing it, that will trigger Sumin's insecurities about cheating and stuff. Yes, it's not a love triangle but things like miscommunication could cause a lot of drama and basically that's pretty much the only way to go about it right now, because there's still a lot of chapters to come.
But other than that I don't think she will have a prominent 'dark side' like the other characters. Maybe it's a bit of a cliche but it doesn't have to be boring as long as there are other things to her... It is definitely easier to make flawed characters interesting rather than good natured ones but that doesn't mean that a good natured character has to have some deep dark side to make her interesting. Just a tiny bit because she can't be a Mary Sue either, though I don't think she is. Also 'innocent' characters like that really give a positive feeling and hopeful message to the reader so I think they are important. Besides, Sumin is pretty much becoming good-natured right now.

last edited at Mar 10, 2016 6:26PM

joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't think it's necessary for a character to be a little selfish or have a dark side in them to be interesting. They can be very kind and good but still be interesting.
I just think Sungji is too passive and not assertive at all. She just sits there and just spends her time having fun. Does she reflect on her actions or Sumin's actions at all? That would make her a little more complex without having to add a bad side to her.
Also she could have confronted Sumin more head on, or even if she was more persistent to know about Sumin's past or the redhead, she would still be a good person, but more multi-dimensional.

To me, you can't just heal a trauma simply by being around a good person. They need to actively work for it, not just Sumin changing out of nowhere. To be honest, I'm still not convinced Sumin is actually changing. It feels like she's just forgetting and surpressing her past right now, by spending time with Sungji.
I can't see how Sumin has fallen so hard for Sungji to be honest. Sungji is beautiful, and Sumin is older and maybe feel like she has to be protective of her...but besides that I can't see anything else. But apparently Sumin begs to differ and that's what matters lol.

joined Mar 8, 2014

Yeah, I must agree with you... Sungji hasn't done much yet other than being all 'happy-go-lucky' but I think that was good as a start. Definitely I won't be happy if the story ends and she hasn't changed, I will be very disappointed. At the same time I think Sungji is a bit mysterious so we don't get to see all of what she's thinking. Like when she rejected the fox toy. I think she might be thinking a lot more than we assume but since we are seeing things from Sumin's point of view we have to be kept in the dark for now. That's what I hope anyway because it will be very true that she is one dimensional if we don't see any development from now on... but the story seems to hint that we will, I HOPE!!

Photo
joined Feb 13, 2016

Also 'innocent' characters like that really give a positive feeling and hopeful message to the reader so I think they are important. Besides, Sumin is pretty much becoming good-natured right now.

Oh, I get your point. And don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who thinks villains are cool and good-natured characters are lame. I just really, really like when people are honestly human, you know, with all their flaws and madness.

But I do get that Sungji, maybe to fulfill her role to heal Sumin, must be "innocent" in this series. Her "innocence" is a must so that Sumin trusts her and put her walls down. But I do hope this will not be enough, because just as MacySan stated, I don't believe a good person is so refreshing to the point of changing someone for the better. In this sense, I believe to heal Sumin, Sungji and Sumin would have to develop as a couple. And by that I mean both of them would have to accept each other's flaws. Sumin has hers and I do think they will come up eventually in the series. Sungji may have hers too and I hope we see them (but I have this feeling that she will only be victimized). Again, WDTFS may not be about building solid relationships, but rather about moving on. Either way, the series managed to get my attention, so I will keep with it.

joined Mar 8, 2014

Yeah, I hope this doesn't end up like Winter Sonata >.> I really liked it at first, like a LOT and then... I was like -.-
I'm crazy about WDTFS because Sumin is totally my type so I'll be very disappointed if it ends up being mediocre...

last edited at Mar 11, 2016 7:55AM

joined Feb 4, 2016

First time reading a manhwa (WDTFS) and I feel lucky to stumble into this thread lmao. Glad to see that most of the people here are level headed and offer many interesting opinion.

I would say that my favorite character in this story is Seju, she's the character that I can not fully grasp yet and provide the "it" factor in the story. Because honestly if it's not to find out more about her character and what role she would play in the game, I would have abandoned this story past Chapter 30, when the story development had gone stagnant. Glad that it starts picking up in the last few chapters tho.

I find Sumin's character to be unstable as hell, and maybe a bit of a hypocrite. She told Seju to die, but she came back when things went awry and still use her as personal emotional outlet whenever it's convenient (not that Seju is any better for this lol). I find Sumin character a bit frustrating at times, as it seems that she's type to run from the problem, instead of handling it. She's still damn cute tho, so I love her lol.

And Sungji, ugh, this cinnamon roll :,)
Sungji is still too innocent and naive tbh. She's too infatuated about Sumin that she only cares about the fluffy fluttering feelings in love and sex. She seems to overlook any negativity that Sumin has exposed. But then it provides her an advantage, she is simple, period. Sumin's love life is too over complicated and messed up, and Sungji with her simplicity and her simple idea of first love might bring Sumin to her old self, when her love to Seju is not calculated and simple.

I am now looking forward on how the three would intersect with each other. I would be gravely disappointed if the author did not make a proper confrontation or closure of the three. I would also be disappointed if Team Gaji would just throw Nami out of nowhere to suddenly make it a double date and make Seju suddenly goes:
"OMGGAAHH I didn't realize that I've been in love with Nami all this time".

Given the plot, the character, and the history, it's just way too unrealistic, just no.

joined Mar 11, 2016

So yeah here's my say...if this was a typical american love story.
-Childhood sweethearts Seju and Sumin 10 years plus relationship
-Seju Cheats...Sumin hurt bigtime (plus doing it right after her parents' death)
-Sumin wasted with all the bleak sex with anyones shes having...feels lost all reason to still believe in love.
-Seju regrets bigtime and doesn't know how to move on as well.
-Sungji ...newcomer, innocent and sincere with her love for Sumin.
-Sumin in awe with the pureness of Sungji's intentions...brings back the same feelings she got when she was still in love woth Seju.
-Sumin confused. Somehow got mixed up with Seju again...remembering their past and all. Plus sex of course.
-Sungji caught them. Got hurt big time.
-Sumin realizing she's lost without Sungji
...for the first time Sungji hates her...doesnt want to see her again.
-Sumin realizes that her love for Sungji is greater and fights to win her back...maybe well see the corny side of Sumin doing all the romantic stuff shes not used to...just to bring back Sungji.
-And well Seju will just have to accept that move on with and focus with her empire...and maybe end up with Nami...after all their bickering is quite cute and their scenes together are quite developing.

Thats it no organ transplant whatsoever!

last edited at Mar 11, 2016 11:36AM

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

Considering Sungji's character, It's really hard to imagine her hating Sumin scenario happening.

Edit:
It's possible that Sungji might get so angry if Sumin still mixes up with Seju again. She then get drunk, and then does the exact same horrible mistake Seju did in the past. The history repeats itself, but this time with the more mature Sumin, she will be forgiven.

last edited at Mar 13, 2016 9:36AM

joined Mar 11, 2016

Well also seeing as im a Sumin/Sungji fan...i think they complement each other.

Sumin needs a Sungji to fix her sick life, she makes her feel normal agains and brings back all that feelings you feel when appreciating life and love of course.

Sungji needs a mature Sumin to protect her and learn from her. Since she cant control her emotions..Sumin is there to teach her how to control these feelings.

Really, Seju and Sumin should move on. Being with each other...unfortunately also carries bad memories. They have been super exposed with each other that there's basically no room for new things and development in their relationship at all. They can be together but its definetely EMO relationship forever.

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

Hmmm...So apparently, Seju is about to lose her father, which will probably mean, considering her meaning for her family due to her business position, that the pressure on her to get married and birth an heir will increase even more. Furthermore, judged by her facial expression in the last panel of the chapter, she now seems to fully realize, that Sumin won't be there for her anymore. It might've been just physical enjoyment for Sumin, but we all know how Seju felt all along even after her and Sumin had broken up. In other words: the train headed for disaster seems to be accelerating. Oh, why do I get this heavy, uncomfortable feeling in my gut? Seju! Please, hang in there! (╥﹏╥)

To reply you must either login or sign up.