Forum › Posts by dofudofu

dofudofu
Lily Love discussion 13 Dec 10:25
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Well, I wasn't trying to direct my comments at you specifically since there's been a whole conversation surrounding it. So I hope I haven't made you feel put upon at all. If so, then that's on me for not being clear and I'm sorry for that.

We're good :P

dofudofu
Lily Love discussion 13 Dec 10:16
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Actually, looking at that scene as a whole, I think "You're mine and I'm yours" was also intended to comfort Donut as she came down from one of the most intense highs of her life. It was her first time having sex, and with someone she'd been wanting for some time, so Mew's line comes off, to me at least, as more "I've got you" than "you're my property".

Okay was really trying to get past the You're mine/I'm yours and sweet vs. possessive intentions conversation. Your points are probably closer to the original intent; it just didn't jive that well with me. As has been mentioned, I'm not the target audience.

Ratana's been a great, if not exceptional, addition to the body of yuri works and leaps and bounds ahead of the pack in drawing talent (in my opinion...). I don't think it's that hard to be a fan, supporter, and appreciative of an author and still be critical. Those sentiments coexist in plenty of contexts.

dofudofu
Lily Love discussion 13 Dec 09:50
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I think the line "You're mine now" is being taken a bit differently than it's presented, without really considering the context or the tone of voice Mew is likely delivering it in. The look on her face doesn't indicate yandere possessiveness, nor does the continuation of that line which a lot of people aren't including, "...and I'm yours...okay?" Hell, she even adds the "okay" to make sure that sentiment is acceptable to Donut and she feels the same.

If anything, I think this is less "we fucked, so now you belong to me", and more a continuation of the end of the previous chapter, where they both unequivocally state their commitment to each other, which has been a theme for a while in the series. Donut doesn't belong to her (and vice versa) because they had sex, the sex was the result of them making that mutual commitment.

I probably let the conversation about this go into more detail than intended. When I read it, I understood that the intention wasn't to convey possessiveness and noted the "and I'm yours" to myself as well. The point of my original post about the chapter was actually more just about my wants from Ratana as a reader. Those are personal wishes, not anything that's actually imposed on the author. If anything it's imperative that artists dictate the what represents them without bending to fan sentiment.

dofudofu
Lily Love discussion 12 Dec 03:11
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Nya-chan posted:
The cheesiness is part of the charm I'd say. Everything that is usually not shown or is implied in Japanese manga is exposed here.

She lays it really thick, as if it was an educational manga. Same-sex love, 101.

For a seasoned manga reader, it's cringy. For first timers, it's cute. But after all, the target audience is Thai, so maybe not accustomed to yuri tropes and there, they like that kind of exposition.

Long story short, you're NOT the target audience. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Some really good points, though I wouldn't assume things about Thai audiences (or my bubble?).

Raz posted:
There's a lot of translated BL and yuri manga in Thailand either through online scanlation or officially published Thai versions, so I don't think it's because we're behind or we're not used to yuri tropes. But "you're mine" is something I've heard couples here say so... could be more a cringy relationship thing.

Hm thanks for your perspective. The reason I thought "You're mine now" was particularly cringy was because of the context. It's almost like saying "Oh we just had sex together for the first time, so now I have my claim on you." Was Donut not hers before they did it? Maybe it's more endearing said in Thai, definitely not ruling that out, but if someone said that to me, it'd set off all sorts of red flags.

dofudofu
Lily Love discussion 11 Dec 15:15
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Super pro-supporting-Ratana-by-all-means (buying all the stuff on Lezhin, etc), but chp 29 lays on thick her tendency to write too much :| I could have done without pretty much all of the text from page 5 and on... some times less really is more, and her art's enough to know what the characters are feeling most of the time. Gets particularly cringy at "You're mine now", yikes, run awayyy.

dofudofu
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Sungji can't bring herself to ask Dawoon to date, that means she hasn't moved on, the breakup hasn't hit her yet. Again, I don't think these two will go anywhere at all. Just fillers to help team blonde grow up.

Yeah I think recent events have been dragging everyone around, making people forget how obvious the Team Blonde ending was 20 chapters ago.

And Seju, god she look gorgeous. I can only hope for her to gtf away from Sumin and meet Dawoon at some point. Fed up with her being the one apologizing all the damn time.

If they can write a smooth transition into Seju x Dawoon, they really are the smoothest motherfuckers in manhwa town lol.

dofudofu
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Sungji x Sumin flashbacks are breathing new life (or really breathing old life back) into this series for me. Though if anyone was really starting to doubt a Team Blonde ending, I think this chapter pretty much made it clear that they'll find a way back to each other by the end.

dofudofu
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Wait what..? I didnt really understand what was going on on that one special chapter why does it look like a scene from the future?

Don't think it's from that far in the future. I assume Touko's going to hang out with Sayaka on a weekend, so they're not in school uniforms. They do look more mature than in previous chapters though. I think it's some combination of not being in uniform and Touko not being around Yuu (she frequently needy/indulgent around Yuu, which can come off childish). Really enjoyed how they're all drawn in this chapter.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Hihi really! Im sorry im a firstimer in this story. What is the interval of the posting of every chapters by the way?

English version updates on Tuesdays and the Korean version updates on Saturdays (or around then depending on your time zone).

dofudofu
WDTFS fans - off topic 31 Oct 10:59
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Thiago

So! Rainy365, Alvis, mvl89, Dofudofu and whoever I forgot to mention because I barely used the thread lately and don't remember your name, how everyone doing? How things going? Any of you has any news?

Things are good here just struggling for vacation days. Too many people in my life getting married and stuff this year, which makes it hard to plan more than a few days to visit my parents over the holidays :(

And what you think of my idea of making a group somewhere where we can talk in private and real time? You kind of ignored it... (>_>)

Still sort of iffy about this but if you propose a platform I'd at least consider it lol.

KittoKatto

Tofu san
Things are okay. A bit busy and some conflicts but everything should be fine. Lol

Screw the haters :P

I'm glad you exchanged rings with your gf !! Omggg we have to be updated about stuffs like this xDD

Lol thought I mentioned it, but yeah that happened xD

Newp

Hello hello, just dropping by to say hi to ya'll! :) (And Happy Halloween!)

Happy Halloween! Not dressing up today, but kanojo and I went to a party this weekend. I was Captain America and she was Black Widow. I don't know why we never got her into a Black Widow costume before... hawt.

You guys doing anything for Halloween?

last edited at Oct 31, 2016 11:02AM

dofudofu
WDTFS fans - off topic 06 Oct 12:20
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I could be mistaken about your work. I thought i read something about you researching and writing stuff. I thought somebody asked you about what or where you worked but you couldn't tell. Or, maybe i must be dreaming, because it has been several months since those posts. Hahaha...

I used to work in research for a drug company so maybe I mentioned something about that before lol. Now what I do involves more writing and less programming.

Mostly just work. I think it is life partner. Hahaha.
I find nothing more exciting than being at home reading abour stocks on my beju (bed seju). Totally lost interest in WDTFS and other mangas.

Lol no more WDTFS and manga but you have a bed seju? I've kept up with the recent chapters, but it's pretty luke warm these days.

Did you travel anywhere just for fun after you exchanged rings with your girlfriend?

We haven't had time to travel together much in recent history, but at least for Thanksgiving we'll go visit my parents and see a basketball game.

dofudofu
WDTFS fans - off topic 05 Oct 20:25
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Yo..Dofu...glad to hear about you already exchanged rings with your girlfriend. What kind of research are you working on these days are is it something u cannot discuss to the public?

Hey mvl, thanks :). Not sure what you mean by research though. It's been several years since I could consider what I do to be scientific research lol. What have you been?

dofudofu
WDTFS fans - off topic 04 Oct 08:59
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Hey! Sorry I haven't checked in much. Life's been busy but I do still find time to binge manga/manhwa once in awhile. Thiaguinho, we did exchange rings and are planning to have the wedding in the spring. KittoKatto and everyone else, how's things? Hope you're all doing well.

dofudofu
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Surprised to see two people on the basketball team with the number 4. I assume one must be a guy and the other a girl, or else duplicate numbers don't make sense, but more because of the number 4. I thought most east Asian countries consider it unlucky since it sounds similar or the same as the word for death in many dialects there. For sure in Mandarin it's the same sound death, just with a different intonation.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I just finished reading the first 21 chapters in one go. Highly recommend this webtoon to FF fans and/or WDTFS fans. :D

I think FF fans would like this story, but as for WDTFS fans, I'm not sure. The story hasn't had any plot twist so far, everything is predictable. :)

I think it's more like WDTFS than FF. The art, the age/experience gap, the ex-girlfriend who looks like she really wants to spoil their lovey dovey fun. Obviously WDTFS is more explicit, but you can make a lot of easy comparisons between Erae and Sungji.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I actually have read the manga for Baby Steps, although I'm pretty behind. I'm up to chapter 240, while Manga Traders has up to ch 272. Didn't realize there was an anime though.

Yeah I just recently caught up. The anime is very well done, with two complete 24 eps. seasons.

A little superpower doesn't bother me too much, so Chihayafuru might grab me. It seems like the sort of thing where the audience is educated on what the game is all about as much as the characters, in the manner of Hikaru no Go. I'll have to look over those and decide which one I'd like to try.

The authors/artists of both are really out to promote the games in a compelling way. I know for sure Hikaru no Go was collaborated with go professionals and had the intention of bolstering interest in go among younger Japanese generations (and internationally to some extent) and was very successful in doing so.

Also, even though I've seen chess imagery in many manga and anime, I can't think of any that are about chess and the growth of a chess player. It seems like such an obvious topic for a sports anime, but I don't think one exists :| Could make the argument that chess isn't that popular in Japan (and a lot of their greatest minds study shogi and go instead), but there's one about American football...

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Somehow missed all of this series other than the Honey and Mustard continuation, but it's really cute. Though regardless of their professional work, I'd be running for the hills if someone was planning our wedding in the beginning of a relationship lol...

Kind of seems like something she thinks about more precisely because she can't have one; if she could take for granted that one would happen if she wanted she probably wouldn't be obsessing on the idea. Although there's the work context too . . . if you're in a place where it's always in the air, I guess you'd start thinking, "How would we look in the customers' place?"

That all makes sense. I'm sure it's also mostly just a plot/comedic point, definitely didn't ruin anything story-wise for me. I'm engaged now, but was never the little girl (or adult woman) that imagined her wedding and the dress and all that, whether it was before or after same sex marriage was legalized in the US.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

@ Nezchan

Here are some titles that might interest you:

Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!
Yowamushi Pedal
Haikyuu!!
Major
Kaleido Star
Kuroko no Baske
All Out!!
Ookiku Furikabutte
Chihayafuru

I haven't watched any of them (yet) but some are supposed to be quite good...

Out of these I've only watched Kuroko, Haikyuu!, and Chihayafuru and really enjoyed all of them. Still under the guidelines of what she was asking for, I'd say Baby Steps fits the bill more. All of them show quite a bit of training in addition to competitions. Kuroko and Haikyuu both have under-sized protagonists for their sports, but are essentially super-powered prodigies in some way, and so are at least some of their teammates. Kuroko in particular has a heavy dose of the sports anime super power absurdity (which I don't mind, just pointing it out). Chihayafuru also shows a lot of character growth in terms of ability, but more so in the more minor characters. The protagonist Chihaya is the best out of her friends except during flashbacks. For sports anime where they're learning and becoming better in a semi-realistic manner, Hikaru no Go (which Nez has already watched) and Baby Steps (not a completed series yet, manga or anime) are the cream of the crop to me.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

This is probably a good place to ask for an anime recommendation. What I'm in the mood for is a story where the main character wants to be the very best. The best that ever was. No, not that show!

Essentially I'm looking for something where a character picks up a pastime, skill, sport or what have you, and as they learn more about it makes a real effort to improve. Bonus points if there's lots of training involved. Sports, games, more fantastic pastimes like starship engineer, sudoku, I'm open to pretty much anything.

Doesn't have to be yuri or SFF themed. Definitely shouldn't be horror, although I can't imagine there are any horrors with those elements. I suppose I'd be fine with live-action if that's what comes up. Otherwise, I'd be interested to see if there's anything y'all can recommend.

Oh, and I've already watched Hikaru No Go and Hunter X Hunter (which has a bunch of fantasy training stuff) multiple times.

Highly recommend Baby Steps, it's a tennis manga/anime. Really haven't seen any other game/sports show like it and he starts completely unfamiliar with tennis the way Hikaru does with go.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Somehow missed all of this series other than the Honey and Mustard continuation, but it's really cute. Though regardless of their professional work, I'd be running for the hills if someone was planning our wedding in the beginning of a relationship lol...

dofudofu
Lily Love discussion 05 Sep 07:19
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I think Nya-chan has the right idea here. I don't know if it's just a non-Japanese thing or just how Ratana likes to go about writing, but you never have to read between the lines in her work, because she'll lay it all out for you from 7 different (beautifully drawn) angles. Pulse has marginally more mystery (Mel's past, Grace's domestic abuse), but is otherwise the same way (really have no doubt she'll flesh out Mel's baggage eventually).

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

The anime gonna either be shit, or best thing since fried rice. No middle ground!!!

Considering how fantastic the "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" anime is, I'm going to go with best thing since fried rice.

last edited at Sep 4, 2016 10:46PM

dofudofu
Kase-san discussion 23 Aug 14:10
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

How can Kase possibly be so sweet and innocent and yet so hawt and thirsty? :3

She reminds me a bit of Julia from Strawberry Shake -- a humorous and endearing balance of cluelessness and horniness. Actually Kase and Yamada's dynamic in general is sort of like the "airhead and the idiot" relationship that Julia and Ran have. Except that Julia and Ran took 3 times as many chapters to make out and are (intentionally) more outrageous.

last edited at Aug 23, 2016 2:12PM

dofudofu
Kase-san discussion 18 Aug 18:31
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

That'll have to wait until the chapter after the next one
http://i.imgur.com/29xne3q.jpg
Though the next one has Kase-san acting as the hero in shining armor once again so that's something nice
to look forward to

Do you have a link to raws of 19? I've only seen ones through 18.

last edited at Aug 18, 2016 11:25PM by Nezchan

dofudofu
Kase-san discussion 18 Aug 13:09
Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I bet the main reason Kase-san is excited about seeing her senpai is to brag about Yamada.

Yeah I'm not convinced that Kase and Inoue actually went out. I have a feeling Inoue has a thing for Kase, confessed, and then Kase was like "Sorry, you're an awesome friend, but I'm in love with the cutest potato on earth." Or something like that.