Forum › Horror anime and manga?

joined Aug 12, 2013

Hey everyone. I've been looking for a good horror anime to watch. It doesn't have to be "horror", persay. It could be just unsettling, creepy, or disturbing. I also don't want to watch anything too depressing or sad. For example, the first time I watched UP!, I cried my eyes out the whole time. Or how I just ended up really sad and depressed after watching Corpse Party. Not only does everyone die, but the girl's mom thinks her daughter's just gone nuts! Oh, and I loved The Sixth Sense, but it was just too sad! Everyone finds that movie creepy, but I just find it too emotional. I still cry when I think about that movie :(.

I've read most of Shin Sekai Yori, and I really liked it, along with Murcielago. I also loved Canaan, Another, and Attack on Titan. I tried out PsychoPass, but I couldn't get into it. I mean, great premiss, but poor execution. I also watched several episodes of Death Note, but I just found the MC to be too much of an asshole. I mean, when he had that woman kill herself I sort of freaked out.

I'm also watching School Live! and that one anime about how God abandoned humans, and now they can't die. The only way people can pass on is with the help of a gravedigger, or whatever. I'll admit I bawled my eyes out for both those shows, too.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

[...] I also don't want to watch anything too depressing or sad.

Now, that's a little more difficult.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

From the ones I've watched I wouldn't really say Canaan, Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass or Death Note are horror, or that creepy or unsettling so I'm a little confused as to what to recommend... but I guess the Monogatari Series, Death Parade, Paprika and Perfect Blue? Perfect Blue is pretty creepy and unsettling. Also Anthony Jesselnik.

last edited at Oct 24, 2015 7:26PM

joined Aug 12, 2013

Yes. Yes it is. Um, how about ones where a random person is killed, and we don't really care since we don't know them? Like on Criminal Minds. Or Jaws. Like how on Another, it's sad that the people are killed, but we don't get too hung up on it because we don't really know them.

I guess if the anime or manga ends on a happy note, I'll be fine. I mean, Hachi, I Am Legend, etc., do NOT have good endings. Yes, the dog gets to see his human again before, you know. That's not happy. That just makes it worse. Or in I Am Legend, how SPOILER ALERT the woman and her kid find that community of survivors. I mean, the freaking dog dies! This is the dog that his daughter gave him to look after right before their helicopter goes down! And he has to strangle the dog to death! Holy cow!

Oh, thanks OriginalGengar. I know those anime weren't really horror, but those were the closest I could think of that could be called "horror."

last edited at Oct 24, 2015 7:39PM

joined Aug 16, 2014

I think Paprika is more like "strange". Def agreed with Perfect Blue and unsettling.

joined Nov 30, 2011

I was going to recommend Berserk myself since it seems to fit that horror role quite well though, it's super crazy lol! The only other anime I can think of is Ghost Hunt which I found to be quite good for horror (I'm a wimp so I scare easy). I would actually really recommend checking that one out to be honest.

I was going to recommend Mushi-shi since it has its fair share of creepy, sad, and depressing moments that fit the horror bill imho.

The best horror imho is that which has a lot of buildup, good atmosphere, lots of mystery, and little to no gore or violence with generally smart and or mature characters. I think we can do a better job of finding something along those lines, I think.

joined Aug 16, 2014

I guess if the anime or manga ends on a happy note, I'll be fine. I mean, Hachi, I Am Legend, etc., do NOT have good endings. Yes, the dog gets to see his human again before, you know. That's not happy. That just makes it worse. Or in I Am Legend, how SPOILER ALERT the woman and her kid find that community of survivors. I mean, the freaking dog dies! This is the dog that his daughter gave him to look after right before their helicopter goes down! And he has to strangle the dog to death! Holy cow!

Does this mean no dog deaths in the recommendations?

I was going to recommend Berserk myself since it seems to fit that horror role quite well though, it's super crazy lol!

Teddscau doesn't want depressing tho, so I guess Berserk would be out of question...

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Mushi-shi is awesome.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Kara no Kyoukai, I'd say. Though it is rather heavy. Ghost Hunt, now that's a name I haven't heard in a while xD It's a shoujo anime btw.

I think you'd like Ergo Proxy, while I don't think it's unsettling a few of the friends I've recommended it, has said that it's a tad creepy :]

If you want something for supernatural though, I highly suggest Natsume Yuujinchou. While not horror, or any bit unsettling it can get pretty emotional. It's pretty laidback as well and cute. It has four 13-episode seasons and 2 OVAs. I need to re-watch it myself.

joined Aug 12, 2013

No, no animals can die in the show! If, however, the person who is friends with said animal brutally murders the animal-killer, that's fine.

Perfect Blue and Paprika sound kind of interesting, so I'll definitely be checking them out. I'm a little iffy on the art style in Perfect Blue, but we'll see how it goes.

I've watched Ghost Hunt, and it was very good. That arc with the little ghost child at the catholic orphanage was kind of sad, though.

I'll have to look up Mushi-shi and the others you suggested. Not sure if I could handle Berserk, as none commented.

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

Yes. Yes it is. Um, how about ones where a random person is killed, and we don't really care since we don't know them? Like on Criminal Minds. Or Jaws. Like how on Another, it's sad that the people are killed, but we don't get too hung up on it because we don't really know them.

Give Danganronpa a try, it's one of my favorites anime and I don't think there's really much time to get attached to the characters, at least I didn't.

And I second Death Parade.

joined Aug 16, 2014

Not sure if I could handle Berserk [...]

It's an incredibly bleak story and (up to the point I've read it) there's no happy end in sight.

Also, I think Mushishi is so... dunno, relaxing?

last edited at Oct 24, 2015 7:53PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm partial to Kara no Kyoukai, which isn't necessarily classic horror per se, although it does have it's bloody elements. To me it's more about that feel of everpresent threat and otherworldliness that makes it good horror. But then I'm not good with gore and I hate zombies in most forms although I appreciate them as a pop culture icon.

For more traditional "scary stuff" horror, I'll second Random Reader's recommendation of Ghost Hunt although I've only read the manga (several times). The Bloodstained Labyrinth storyline is especially creepy. "...all die...listen to...Urado..."

And yeah, Mushi-shi isn't horror at all.It's supernatural, and a couple of stories are creepy in a psychological kind of way, but for the most part it's played as just another part of the natural world that seems a bit strange to us.

last edited at Oct 24, 2015 7:57PM

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I'm a little iffy on the art style in Perfect Blue, but we'll see how it goes.

Perfect Blue is one of the best things that ever happened to anime, you should watch it as soon as you can.

joined Aug 12, 2013

Wow, I'm loving all the replies guys :).

I'm not a wimp when it comes to horror, but when it comes to sad stuff... I'm not really afraid of anything. I love all animals, including bats, rodents, snakes, and spiders. I guess I am afraid of loud noises, sudden movement, and my reflection at night. Seeing yourself in the mirror in the dark is terrifying >_<. Your features really become distorted.

I've seen Jaws, Jurassic Park, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Child's Play, etc., but I didn't find them scary. I found them more suspenseful than anything. I really like Silent Hill, The Purge, and Sinister.

Nezchan, you should watch "In the Flesh" for wimp-friendly zombies. Nobody gets their faces eaten in it.

last edited at Oct 24, 2015 8:05PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan, you should watch "In the Flesh" for wimp-friendly zombies. Nobody gets their faces eaten in it.

Well, that's one element. I'm also heartily sick of them due to rampant overexposure as "this is the only monster we can think of" syndrome. It's gotten so that I reflexively hit "Not Interested" on any zombie game that shows up on my Steam dash.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Others that popped in my head

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (it starts out comedic, then it turns a little bit creepy by the last arcs),Shinrei Tantei Yakumo, Shikabane Hime Aka/Kuro, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (Based on a Nitro+ VN), Blassreiter (Another by Nitro+ though this is an original one I think)

joined Aug 12, 2013

Wow, these are great suggestions! I can't wait to watch them :3. Oh, and I don't think I knew Ghost Hunt was also a manga. The anime was pretty decent, so I'll definitely be reading the manga.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Wow, these are great suggestions! I can't wait to watch them :3. Oh, and I don't think I knew Ghost Hunt was also a manga. The anime was pretty decent, so I'll definitely be reading the manga.

The manga is great, and has some seriously creepy bits. Wouldn't mind trying out the light novels it was based on.

To reply you must either login or sign up.