Forum › Yuri in other Media (list in first post)

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

There is an article out there somewhere that asked the writer of life is strange if max and chloe are a thing. I cant remember what was said though.

As for POI, the flirting and tsundere-shaw in 4x11 was really cute.
I laughed at the simplified simulation, "obvious comeon", "annoyed reponse". lol Or the part where Fusco kisses Root, and is like: what, it's just a simulation. xD

I agree that its amazing and awesome how its now a love story as part of the main plot.

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 12:58PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

There is an article out there somewhere that asked the writer of life is strange if max and chloe are a thing. I cant remember what was said though.

I laughed at the simplified simulation, "obvious comeon", "annoyed reponse". lol Or the part where Fusco kisses Root, and is like: what, it's just a simulation. xD

I agree that its amazing and awesome how its now a love story as part of the main plot.

Glad you liked it, but it won't be a love story for a long time. Sarah Shahi (Shaw) is taking a leave of absence due to pregnancy (she's gonna have twins) and she won't be on the show for 2 years. That's why 4x11 happened, otherwise if that didn't come up, John was gonna die. This is from interview with the writers of the show.

joined Jan 21, 2015

TVtropes says that the subtext is intentional, but doesn't link to any interview. I really wish tropers would quote their sources more often. Sometimes I'm too lazy to go check myself...

The simplified simulation was an instant classic. I love that even such an absurd scene makes complete sense in context. In a way, the whole episode was about the Machine writing fanfic.

Sarah Shahi (Shaw) is taking a leave of absence due to pregnancy (she's gonna have twins) and she won't be on the show for 2 years.

It was confirmed at Comic-Con that Sarah Shahi will be back for season 5. No details about how many episodes or what Shaw's storyline will be yet. S5 will probably be the last unless they can get Netflix to pick up the show, so they don't have much time to write a satisfying conclusion. I'm terrified, and the teaser they showed at Comic Con didn't help.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

If john had died, i think that would have killed its ratings as well. X-files pulled a stunt like this when Duchuvny quit the show. Making Scully and that new guy run around trying to find him and the show tanked.

Its already a love story though, they all but confessed during 4x11. I'm just hoping the show doesnt get axed before Shahi gets back. Good thing it's not on fox...

And TB was writing at the same time I was haha. Good that she will be back "soon".

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 4:00PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

It was confirmed at Comic-Con that Sarah Shahi will be back for season 5. No details about how many episodes or what Shaw's storyline will be yet. S5 will probably be the last unless they can get Netflix to pick up the show, so they don't have much time to write a satisfying conclusion. I'm terrified, and the teaser they showed at Comic Con didn't help.

That's nice. I imagine though it will be a mention or like it was in the last few episode where she showed up, just one shot of her BUT if they indeed can't get the show to go on to more seasons than the 5th one, I imagine she'll be more prominent there, and as the writers like to say "Everyone is going to die in the end, that's just the kind of characters they are. They can't get a happy ending."

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 4:23PM

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

And thats the kind of thing a writer would that would earn them a burning bag of crap on their doorstep or worse lol. Killing all the characters as a way to end the show would just be viewed as a hissy fit by the writers.

It would depend more on when production starts and when she was expected another scene. She could be back a month after giving birth. It's up to her when wants to return, some women pop out their baby and go back to work as soon as they can.

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 4:48PM

joined Mar 23, 2013

And thats the kind of thing a writer would that would earn them a burning bag of crap on their doorstep or worse lol. Killing all the characters as a way to end the show would just be viewed as a hissy fit by the writers.

Downer endings are fine, people are such wimps foreal.

joined Jan 21, 2015

If john had died, i think that would have killed its ratings as well. X-files pulled a stunt like this when Duchuvny quit the show. Making Scully and that new guy run around trying to find him and the show tanked.

Yeah, killing off John would've been a bold move, but they would've lost like half their audience at once. People love their handsome white men.

That's nice. I imagine though it will be a mention or like it was in the last few episode where she showed up, just one shot of her BUT if they indeed can't get the show to go on to more seasons than the 5th one, I imagine she'll be more prominent there, and as the writers like to say "Everyone is going to die in the end, that's just the kind of characters they are. They can't get a happy ending."

I thought it would be something like her showing up in the very last episode or something, but apparently they want Shaw to be in a few episodes. The kids were born a few months ago and sure, an entire season is out of the question, but I'm pretty confident it won't be just a cameo or a flashback. At least they can't kill off everyone, they have to keep a few doors open in case they do manage to get another season. (Fingers crossed.)

Nothing wrong with "everyone dies" endings per se! It's just that when you follow a bunch of likable characters for years and they all die and the bad guys win, it kind of leaves you hollow inside and flopping on your side like a dying fish.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Networks depend on ratings. If they piss off their entire fanbase with a downer endings, they will regret it later.

And downer endings are fine as long as they make sense and dont feel like it was rushed, or the writers were being lazy. It happens in manga and anime a lot (rushed or lazy endings that is) and the creators aren't well liked for it usually.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Networks depend on ratings. If they piss off their entire fanbase with a downer endings, they will regret it later.

And downer endings are fine as long as they make sense and dont feel like it was rushed, or the writers were being lazy. It happens in manga and anime a lot (rushed or lazy endings that is) and the creators aren't well liked for it usually.

You should watch a few of the interviews, it certainly beats the GoT mentality of killing off characters.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Downer endings where everybody dies always makes me think of Final Fantasy Type-0.

You should watch a few of the interviews, it certainly beats the GoT mentality of killing off characters.

Maybe they will kill everyone except The Machine, it would be more bittersweet as she would continue to do good for the world.

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 5:35PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

The GoT method of killing a character based entirely on shock value rather than any kind of consistent character development, writers praising their genius at such a move, claiming GRRM said to do it when the circumstance which allowed for the retarded decision is completely separate to the one in the books in a way that makes their claims impossible, and calling their audience a bunch of hypocrites for criticising them?

How far is Gengar in PLL? I made it to season 3 before I need a preeeeety well extended break.

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 6:35PM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

^Just starting Season 5.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

There's also the K-Drama (one of my favorites of all time) Painter of the Wind.

As for the couples: There's a love triangle between main character (girl pretending to be a guy), her mentor (a guy), and an entertainer (a girl)

As for which couple wins: It's heavily implied that m.c. leaves to chase the entertainer

Plus, in South Korea, the main character and the entertainer won best couple award. Which surprised everyone, including the actresses. It was kind of funny...the main actress handled it much better than the one that played the entertainer. You should watch the awards video when/if you get a chance (if you haven't already)!

Here's my vote for this drama. The chemistry between MGY and MCW is utterly intense and they portray their characters beautifully.

I'm going to just say a bit about it though; although the two are females, I think there's a bit more than just plain ole lesbian romance in POTW. I think this is a really good overview about it. In other words, I really do appreciate the director taking the direction of the idea of "fate".

And seriously. After the first run, if you decide to rewatch, do not feel bad about skipping all of the scenes with Yunbok and Hongdo. We all do it.

Other trivia (contains spoilers):
- MCW (JH) felt uncomfortable undressing in the painting scene because MGY (YB) was so in character that MCW felt as if they was a real Shin Yunbok there with her.
- MCW also got a cold and had to go to the hospital a few times because of the moonlight lovers scene with MGY because it was so cold.
- MGY got hurt twice; once because the actor that plays Kim Hongdo accidentally hit her during a scene, and another when there was a mishap and she fell 5 feet into the well during filming.
- MGY says that she loves looking into people's eyes and that it was only during POTW that she realized just how beautiful and expressive MCW's eyes were.
- It was through POTW that MGY and MCW met and became really close friends. Both have said in interviews that they are best friends.
- The couple name for the POTW (JH and YB) couple is: Dan nyang, or five coins due to a famous scene for the couple in the drama.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

^Just starting Season 5.

Bloody hell, well done for sticking in there.

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 7:20PM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

^Just starting Season 5.

Well said. I'm on season 6 and I've been questioning my sanity for staying with it since season 4. Mostly still here because of Shay Mitchell playing lesbian Emily, ofc.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I like how Emily never meets a straight girl.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

^Just starting Season 5.

Damn you blasted through that fast. How did you keep your sanity?

I like how Emily never meets a straight girl.

If only I had Emily's problem.

last edited at Jul 26, 2015 8:23PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

Here's my vote for this drama. The chemistry between MGY and MCW is utterly intense and they portray their characters beautifully.

And here I thought there weren't any 'yuri' K-Drama's. If it's so good I'll probably watch it. 20+ of it. It's been a while since I've watched one xD

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I might have to check out potw, K-dramas can be really really good sometimes; moreso if Shin Min Ah is one of the actresses.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

So I don't really care if Pretty Little Liars is gonna end with Emily x Paige or Emily x Alison but then people are all like

I don’t undestand why people still believe in a future for Emison. Alison ISN’T lesbian and we can’t be sure that she is actually bi. Remember that “Emison” happened when she was still a manipulative bitch ! I still think that during this time she was using Emily to be sure to always have an ally. In my opinion, Alison do love Emily but just as a friend.

and I totally want Alison x Emily to happen just so those people see that their arguments are stupid. Leaving the obviously stupid "Alison was into guys so she can't be into girls" aside, I especially love how in that argument manipulating someone is enough to love them as a friend, but not enough to love them romantically.

last edited at Jul 27, 2015 9:53AM

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I just read the synopsis of painter of the wind from Drama-lover, and it says the main girl falls for her teacher (a man), while she is dressed as a guy. So is the teacher cross-dressing too? If not, how is this yuri?

"Korea's sweetheart Moon Geun Young stars as Shin Yoon Bok, a gifted, cross-dressing painter. In 1776, a prominent court painter is killed after being secretly commissioned by the crown prince to paint a portrait. His friend and fellow painter Seo Jing begins investigating his death, but he and his wife also end up dead. His daughter goes missing. Ten years later, a young student named Shin Yoon Bok enters the Academy of Painting, where master painter Kim Hong Do takes the talented Yoon Bok under his wing. As they work together, he begins to fall for her without knowing her true identity as a woman"

last edited at Jul 27, 2015 11:03AM

Girl%20friends-av
joined Jul 13, 2015

I just read the synopsis of painter of the wind from Drama-lover, and it says the main girl falls for her teacher (a man), while she is dressed as a guy. So is the teacher cross-dressing too? If not, how is this yuri?

From what I understand, it's a love triangle between two women (one who cross-dress as a man) and one man, and from what that blog says, it's a yuri ending.

I still don't have see it yet, but it's definitely in my watch-list.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Emily telling Alison to go fuck herself in S5E10 of Pretty Little Liars was kinda beautiful.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

and I totally want Alison x Emily to happen just so those people see that their arguments are stupid.

Yeah all those people who deny Emison solely because they believe Alison isn't gay really make my blood boil.

I bet if Emison does happen, those same people are going to pin Alison as gay. Like what the hell are bisexuals?

Gengar how many eps are you going through a day? You are blasting through it haha.

last edited at Jul 28, 2015 12:21AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.