Shouldn't it be "Yuu"?

last edited at May 30, 2020 10:56AM

Yes_Cantaloupe
Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

it is the word of god:

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Huh. Those are both official sources, so we might just have to wait for more official material to come out before we can know what the actual official romanization is. As much as it annoys me, the official romanizations of Love Live names pretty much always drop extended vowels though (with the sole exceptions of Matsuura Kanan and Watanabe You), so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Yu.

last edited at May 30, 2020 11:17PM

Yes_Cantaloupe
Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

I'm unaware of any official translations of the reasoning behind the names. I think that's just a fan mockup.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

I'm unaware of any official translations of the reasoning behind the names. I think that's just a fan mockup.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right. I didn't look closely enough apparently. Still, it really bothers me when double u's are dropped from Japanese words and names in romanizations, since unlike with double o's or e's, there's no danger of confusing the pronunciation in English or any other language (as far as I'm aware). One u is pronounced the same as two u's, so there's no reason to alter the original spelling by removing one entirely. In fact, it actually makes no sense at all for them to drop this u but keep the one in You's name, which does create potential confusion. Why not just spell it "Yo" or "Yoh"? Anyway, it's not really a big deal, just something that rubs me the wrong way sometimes.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

not me waiting for kyozip

To reply you must either login or sign up.