Forum › Posts by WindyGo

joined Jan 10, 2023

^
She planned to retire after finishing her first ever series? And I still can't info on a new series. Do you happen to have a title?

I'm fairly certain they were talking about the collection of sci-fi stories that you mentioned in your earlier post. I think we were all confused because the end of Nettaigyo promoted her new project, which people took it to mean another series rather than short stories. Going by mangaupdates, it seems like it's just Nettaigyo and the sci-fi compilation. If there was another officially published work then it certainly flew under the radar, but I don't think there is.

joined Jan 10, 2023

You know, it's funny. I wasn't really interested in reading this for all those years that Hachimitsu spent scanlating this series, but I recently stumbled upon comments here and elsewhere that mentioned Hagino talking about her own loneliness and that finally got me to start reading it. And I loved it. It is a bit silly of me to only get into this work after reading up a bit about the author's own struggles with loneliness but I think that also set my expectations to be different from what a lot of other people wanted from this story. Yes, the subtext is there, and the ending can feel a bit too ambiguous for some people (me, internally: it counts as a date!), but ultimately, the story is about two lonely people who find each other and help each other to grow. With the added context of the author's struggles with loneliness, I realized just how much of her own feelings must have been poured into this work.

That being said though, I decided to check up on Hagino Makoto's social media stuff, and it seems like she pretty much nuked everything (unless stuff was linked wrong). Youtube account gone, pixiv gone, her own website gone, twitter still there but everything's been nuked except for a couple of retweets from years ago. Mangaupdates did provide another pen name for her and a different twitter account attached to that, but there's not much to that account publicly. (edit: I'm not sure if that twitter account is even associated with her, there's a discrepancy between the twitter join date and the mangaupdate page's last update date) I hope she's doing alright. I know the posts right above were talking about her new serialization but according to Mangaupdates that seems to have ended already with a volume compilation being released a few weeks ago. Not sure if that's accurate.

last edited at Jan 13, 2023 4:36AM