Forum › Posts by Alex0

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022

FINALLY SOME GOOD OLD REIMARI! MAN I WAITED FOR SO LONG!!! I HOPE MORE ARE UPCOMING!

joined Apr 30, 2022
Mitcher_meier-1721503051801100639-img1

Reimu: Look at me. I'm the top now.

joined Apr 30, 2022
112712908_p0

Tojiko: Mom... you're embarrassing us.....

Seiga: I'm so turned on!

joined Apr 30, 2022
Roll08081227-1712063929596403875-img1

"I'm gonna rape her tonight." Reimu probably

joined Apr 30, 2022
Syuri22-1713877191648551359-img1

Saki: Crown Prince. I want you to ride me just like the old times.

Miko: SAY NO MORE!

joined Apr 30, 2022
Mito28_06-1665020672442236929-img1

Damn, Marisa looks good in a suit.... tho I'll always think that Reimu is the more aggressive one in their relationship.

joined Apr 30, 2022

Sorry, this will be long, but I have a lot of thoughts I need to get out.

I really tried to like this series. I defended it for awhile, and I thought it couldn't be as bad as SSiB, my previous least favorite Touhou official manga. As one might expect from my pfp, I am very attached to the Komeiji siblings. I also really love mysteries, especially if they're murder mystery themed like this one. But I found myself enjoying it less and less as it went on, and Chapter 29 finally killed the series for me. I'm so disappointed by how Satori is treated in the series named after her. You would think that being the titular character might make her at least A main character, but she's not even a secondary character. She's practically a glorified extra, which sucks because her ability that previous caused her to be hated by everyone in-universe could have been used to show her becoming loved for the exact same reason. Even worse is that the series is now fighting for who actually can be a main character between like five different people, and none of them are the titular character. Yeah, it was great seeing Flandre again, but why is she still playing such a large role in this when it's moved so far past the Scarlet Devil Mansion?

And as much as I love Reimu and Marisa, I can't deny that they are quite possible the WORST characters to lead a mystery story. They have no interest in figuring out the why, the how, the who, any of the things that make a mystery compelling. They just want to end the incident and be done with it. That works fine for games where it's not trying to build up a mysterious and tense atmosphere, but for something that's meant to be a mystery story, I can't help but wonder why they're so involved. Especially since this manga is probably the worst offender of a trend I've noticed recently of Reimu canonically losing at pretty much everything.

Characterization also started out pretty strong. We saw Reimu and Marisa being concerned about those around them instead of just themselves. Flandre was given interesting character shading that made her seem less violently unhinged and more of a standoffish devil-may-care kind of anti-hero. Orin was in the story at all (seriously, how long has she been tied to that damn tree!), and Satori was an active and key player at first. Now, Reimu and Marisa are in this pretty much just for themselves (which circles back to my previous point), Flandre has fully reverted into pure fanon characterization, actively UNDOING development she had (and don't worry, undone progress is going to be commented on more). And Satori is a glorified extra, which is insulting not only because the series is called Foul/Cheating Detective Satori, and not only because she's the only character who seemingly IS interested in the who, the what, the why, the how, and so on. And, she's the only one with a decent chance of solving things. It would be so much more interesting to see this from her perspective.

While it's not really here as much anymore, when the artist switched, I noticed a lot of very out-of-place comedy for a story that seems like it's trying to present itself seriously. I know comedy is nothing new to Touhou, but the story had established itself as a far more dramatic and serious story with the first artist, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want the same tone to carry throughout an entire story so it can be consistent.

Of course, what hasn't stopped is the awful pacing. This story has such a huge issue with padding that it genuinely makes me sad. It's gotten to the point of actively undoing progress, possibly best demonstrated in the most recent chapter (chapter 29 at the time of writing). The story drags itself out for so long that any time progress is made, you'd better not expect it to stay, because it WILL change anything before that progress means anything, and then we're back to square one. Like, for example, how we finally figured out who was possessed (Kyouko) only for the pacing to drag on so long for no good reason that it changed before that information could mean anything. Even more insulting, the person now possessed is the titular character, who by all accounts, should have been the story's heroine.

I also can't get into The Jailbreak King at all. I mentioned before that Silent Sinner in Blue was my previous least favorite official Touhou manga. There are two reasons for that, both present here. One is the aforementioned pacing and padding, and the other is the ridiculously OP antagonists. Yorihime made me enraged with how ridiculously flawless she was, as she was completely untouchable. The new villain Mizuchi is that but worse. She is pretty much entirely invulnerable and always 10 steps ahead of everyone. This could make for a good mystery premise if we got to slowly chip away at that lead, but again, the pacing and padding makes that impossible. Not to mention all the lore it messes up (like the most powerful youkai in the setting being incredibly easy to possess), or the fact that it makes no sense why Mizuchi can get away with possessing one of the sages and no one is particularly bothered by it.

I can't even be mad about the premise. It is such a cool premise. Like I said, a character who is hated in-universe by everyone for her ability to read minds because people are creeped out about it is now the only one with a chance to resolve a mystery that threatens pretty much everyone. It's a chance for redemption for her. It's her chance to prove that her ability isn't a bad thing to people that aren't herself. And if anything, is also a way to potentially prove that to her sister, who closed her third eye and shut off her emotions because of the hatred that she received from the people who hated them. Satori was literally the only one capable of figuring this out and solving this mystery in a timely manner that kept people safe. But between being demoted to extra and the pacing and padding being so awful, that I can't really see happening anymore. And now that she's become a victim in her own story, I don't think it's realistically possible for that opportunity to come again at this point. It took what could have been a really good premise, a really good mystery with a really good redemption for a character in universe was hated by everyone, potentially giving her the chance to finally be loved by people for the very reason that they hated her, and it fucking threw it in a garbage can and set that garbage can on fire.

So, yeah, all in all? I'm super disappointed by this series.

I absolutely agree. I would have preferred if it was a episodic series.

last edited at Oct 8, 2023 2:55AM

joined Apr 30, 2022
60mai-1708381766078345246-img1

THE BEST SHIP!

joined Apr 30, 2022

So fanon and canon Flandre are now the same.................good!

joined Apr 30, 2022
Unagi35-922420053496152064-img1

Renko: Marry, get off of me! I can't read the damn book!

Maribel: Haha...nope!

joined Apr 30, 2022
111387919_p0

FINALLY SOME REIMARI AFTER SO LONG!!

joined Apr 30, 2022
P2eocene-1692774502164287778-img1

OK that's extremely cute

joined Apr 30, 2022

There is if you know where to look.

Can you tell me where I can read them?

last edited at Sep 1, 2023 6:04AM

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
Re_ghotion-1695086963118977478-img2

I absolutely love this couple. They look so cute.

joined Apr 30, 2022

Why is there no more reimari doujin?

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
F4adbqsxgaexhwd

Show her your drip Biten

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
Nklinak-1691630315872113029-img1

Ah the new canon one

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
Sparkle71059204-1670227287839772672-img1

Their child: My sword has a gun on it.

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
Yutamaro43-1682374762713223172-img1

Walter White: Lily when I said you should love yourself I didn't mean literally!

joined Apr 30, 2022

Damn flan really went fanon mode which I like btw. (I just have a thing for insane psychopaths)

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
Taiga

Does this count as cheating? You know because Tojiko kinda is Mikos wife....

last edited at Jun 17, 2023 8:55AM

joined Apr 30, 2022

CDS does not live up to expectations.

I think it would have been better if we actually saw Satori solving actual cases instead of this. Zun really does not know how to write detective stories. I am not saying that Zun is a bad writer I mean this is a guy who MADE TOUHOU AND WROTE FORBIDDEN SCROLLERY one of the best manga I have ever read. I just think CDS would have been an awesome manga if Satori actually did some detective works.(Kinda Like Wheelchair Detective Satori)

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
Kawayabug_108294606_p1

Yay more reimari :)

joined Apr 30, 2022

Renko x Maribel let's goooo

(I also wanna see some Reimari doujin translated I mean it's been so long)

Alex0
joined Apr 30, 2022
233rina-1649448848216166400-img1

Finally more Reimari