gsebest
Image Comments 21 Jan 16:18
joined Mar 23, 2017
Dnekejevaaav0ib-orig

anime when?

gsebest
Spice Girls discussion 15 Nov 18:56
joined Mar 23, 2017

This was really fun. Communication is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

joined Mar 23, 2017

gsebest posted:

I'm aboard the Harem End Ship as well. I hope last page's guilty reaction didn't sink us.

I'm fairly sure people have repeatedly stated that this doesn't become a harem manga.

Oh well, that's fine too I suppose. This is the author of Prunus Girl so we know they can deliver at least.

joined Mar 23, 2017

I'll be right here, waiting for the harem tag. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm aboard the Harem End Ship as well. I hope last page's guilty reaction didn't sink us.

Because I can't swim.

...did you see any lifeboats?

gsebest
Dark Widow discussion 21 Jul 16:52
joined Mar 23, 2017

10/10 would give tubleran

joined Mar 23, 2017

I love this stuff but it will one day give me diabetes.

I'm okay with that.

joined Mar 23, 2017

Rapiers were for "civilian" combat, from barroom brawls and back-alley muggings to reasonably formal duels of honour. Not like anyone had ever done that stuff in full armour (full-on judicial duels aside), such gear being rather too cumbersome and uncomfortable for everyday wear.
Plus of course clanking around in full battle gear was a pretty good way to look like you were up to no good and attract all kinds of undesirable attention...

Anyways, the 1500s were the final flowering of chivalric pageantry in the grand old style. The full-course tournaments were still around in the early decades - Henry VIII's aforementioned armour was made for the 1520 Field of the Cloth of Gold summit-cum-tournament with Francis I of France - and Henry II of France died in 1559 from jousting injuries (good old lance splinters in the eye, ouch); some of the last royally authorised judicial duels were recorded around the middle of the decade (the famous Jarnac-Chastaganeraye one in France, 1547, and a 1583 one in Dublin) - these not differing very much from tournaments on foot in the ceremonial and equipement involved.

Ah, alright, thanks for correcting me. I read a book a while ago by an Italian fencing master who taught some English princes, but I cannot for the life of me remember who they were. I must have mistaken that for earlier than it was.

Also, I meant to post about this earlier: page 51, calling 'Light'. I have never heard about this before. Maybe because I don't do it competitively, but in my club we just keep going. It might be a regional thing as well, Japan being Japan and all.

joined Mar 23, 2017

steel weapons

Yes, Kingdom of Drachenwald reporting! We don't allow newcomers to use them for free play for a while (we have plastic swords). As for the edge, we have tools to manage the bluntness, and the marshal has to inspect it before every session.

decline of armour

Yes, you are correct. What I meant to imply was that the courtly-knightly armoured combat portrayed in the manga was getting replaced with rapier combat. But admittedly I'm not an expert on the subject. After all, Henry the VIII's famous crotch-guard armour is from that period as well.

joined Mar 23, 2017

I never liked the idea of getting whomped on. Not really into the pain thing. ~_^ I've been on the receiving end of bayonet charges by dumbass Confederate reenactors that got a little TOO enthusiastic and that was scary as hell......

Heh, I can completely sympathise with that. Sometimes our group does exercises meant to help you control your strength, but during free play it doesn't always work out. I got plenty of bruises, but in my two years only once got a hit so bad that I needed an ice pack. Most of the greens and blues I only notice once I get into the shower at home.

joined Mar 23, 2017

Would assume the name of the school references the 16th-century fencing master Camillo Agrippa, what now with the feminine form of the name. If nothing else he would seem rather more relevant to the topic than a first-century Roman lady...

EDIT: well and there's apparently some minor 3rd-century saint by that name, but by the sounds of it she doesn't have much currency outside Eastern Orthodox circles...

Which is funny in an ironic way, because by Agrippa's time heavy armour combat started to become obsolete due to the advances in firearms. Also, his main works focused on rapier fencing, and they revolutionised civilian fencing - in other words, heavy armour was not involved at all.

joined Mar 23, 2017

I used to fight heavy in the SCA. It was fun. Never got any good, though, mostly because I didn't own a car. Seriously, packing that armour on transit is no picnic.

That really only happens if you get steel armour. Steel is cool and I personally prefer it, but recently more and more people get ABS (i think) plastic gear, which is lighter, cheaper and easier to manufacture. Of course, it's not authentic, so some circles shun it. But just for practice, there is nothing wrong with it. And it fits into a bag easier.
Also, if you have an established group that you can trust, one person with a big enough car can carry gear for a lot of people.

Also for anyone wondering, under SCA rules, the weapons are strictly blunt, and the tips have to be either folded back, or covered with a plastic tip, as well as said tip must have three different colours, so when it inevitably falls off during combat, the marshall can spot it and call hold. (By three colours I mean white/black for the plastic tip usually + coloured duct tape + the gray of the steel although I have seen black swords.) Which, in the manga did not appear at all.

joined Mar 23, 2017

So I guess this is the manga that makes me sign up, huh?

On the HEMA, for heavy combat, my club does not take it as one hit = one point, rather you have to 'overwhelm' the opponent. The idea behind it is that in heavy armour, hitting just anywhere won't kill, so only hits where there is no armour count. Which is kind of difficult to get unless the opponent is on the floor, so... to be specific, hits between the gorget and the helmet, and at the armpit are instant kills.
Also, there's a stance with the longsword specifically against heavily armoured opponents, but you basically use it as a blunt weapon.
Also, not all 'medieval combat research' clubs do heavy armour. If you just want to train with the weapons you would need much less gear, especially with certain weapons like a rapier. If anyone is interested, it's easy to find clubs. Helpful search terms are HEMA, SCA or 'period combat'.

On the manga, I hope the fights won't go more absurd than this, but looking forward to it.