Forum › Posts by cowyouto

cowyouto
Image Comments 13 Oct 21:42
Tumblr_pcncujlobx1vjy21go6_250
joined Apr 13, 2014
Ejrepz8voaeozvq-orig

@REDflame23 I think you guys were on the same side/ same opinion. You and Magi both seem to agree that it's stupid to see it as racist.

cowyouto
School Zone discussion 07 Oct 14:41
joined Apr 13, 2014

It's bad "Huh" or good "Huh"

The type of "Huh" when you just feel like "Huh". Ya' know?

joined Apr 13, 2014

gwennie-chan posted:

co-main character

I'm sorry, but Akira was never main character. She was always only supporting character to Hime.

It's rather clear Akira was the deuteragonist, that's why she's on the cover and most of the story follows the interaction between Hime and Akira. How the mangaka brutally just throws her out is hideous and I can't stand it.

I think the characters were treated pretty similar in that regard. The manga is more of an aangst-based "this happens, then this happens" coming of age rather than a slice of life. Once the characters have fulfilled their purpose (either it be coming to terms with who they are, their feelings, or their views), they're all usually sidelined. Take the lesbian character for instance. Once she explains her standpoint and her "interesting-thing-about-her-that-stands-out"(from a manga/writer standpoint) she becomes irrelevant. Once Akira's sense of self was worked out and then her relationship turmoil was sorted (I use the term relationship for all types in this scenario [romantic, friendship, self, etc.]) she was backburner-ed. Same with momo and cute-girl. It's pretty common in manga that doesn't have a direct main character (or a large cast) for them to be put on the backburner after their "use" is complete. This being because side characters are usually meant for the main character's growth in writing and when you try and make too many stories around characters at once or keep them all equal in plot-importance, the story can easily get messy or boring. It can be done right obviously, it's just incredibly hard and something that takes a lot of writing to master (I still suck at it and end up having characters mysteriously disappear for a bit after they've used up their "interesting points").

Now I wouldn't say that it's a good thing, but it is a consistent thing in manga and writing in general; despite how easy it may LOOK, it's not easy to keep an equal focus on multiple characters in writing without continuously adding drama or added plot points/individual struggles. If you took out the LGBT aspect and made their individual plot points something random, it would seem like most other multi-focal manga, right? It's a common thing, especially in media with a short-run time.
I 100% understand that we're grasping onto any positive representation we can get (especially with manga in general being pretty bad at repping actual LGBT+ stuff [I love yuri don't get me wrong, but it's sooooo not representative of lesbian stuff as most know and acknowledge] and trans rep in general is horrible especially with other genres/tags like "trap" polluting the system [and the misuse of the term "crossdressing"]) but I don't think it's right to pin this as a horrible manga just because it made mistakes.

In my opinion; it was honestly one of the best representations I've read in manga (which isn't saying much, but still) despite it's storyboarding issues. The consistency with pronouns, the intrapersonal turmoil, and the insightful and open-minded look on things (even outside the LGBT+ theme) was refreshing. It felt less like they were using LGBT+ stuff as a plot point (even though it obviously was) and more that they were actually trying to educate as best they could, which I can appreciate.

@Other people
Also, I'm a very gay woman and het stuff usually isn't my thing but I was kind of hoping she would get with the guy in the end. Not sure why everyone is mad about this. Bisexuals exist. It's not like the plot was super het, half the story was a girl having feelings for another girl. You don't need to get mad when something is not 100% pure yuri. He seemed like a very cool and well-fleshed out character (for how short the manga was) and the fact that people are getting mad that she ended up in a "het" relationship is indicative of their character. Honestly if you're that mad that the character is male then you're no better than the people who get mad when a "straight-seeming" character on a show ends up with a member of the same sex. If you're using lack of rep as an excuse to hate a het relationship then you're just a sad person. If you're using the excuse that it was "out of nowhere" when it obviously wasn't you sound exactly like straight people when they say a gay couple was forced and "came out of nowhere". Chill the fuck out.

Yeaaaaa sorry this is so long, i'm pretty high haha. Also I'm not @ing you directly for the later points Gwennie. Just didn't want to double post. Also I say all of this with no malice or desire to start drama and I respect your opinion and agree with some of what you say. This is all just my opinion and observations.

last edited at Oct 2, 2020 3:53AM

joined Apr 13, 2014

friend

Is that what we're calling it now?

Always has been.

Just gals being pals.

joined Apr 13, 2014

That credit page was the highlight of this whole chapter. 10/10 Would laugh again.

cowyouto
joined Apr 13, 2014

It's been 84 years...

I giggled. But forreal though. So glad this has finally been completed I've been re-reading this like once a year just to remember it exists.

joined Apr 13, 2014

I like shojo so I'll read it anyway, but I have to say that I HATE characters that act like they need to "protect" the woman and act like their boyfriends. I expect this to change in the future (and have faith that I'll see good yuri)
Also this is so perfect that I want to put it the icon hahaha
huehuehue

sorry this is a bit off topic but can i ask where your icon is from?

I think this is the second time I've replied to someone asking for this exact person's icon haha;
here you are: "When You Say "No", I Say "Eek"!" it's on dynasty if you search it.

cowyouto
joined Apr 13, 2014

@ cowyouto

The art on the front cover reminds me a lot of a different series character (but i can't remember what it was)

First thing that comes to my mind is Haruko from FLCL:

(https://akibento-leadnationmedia.netdna-ssl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/external/EQ3HmfdhPBL4V6XMneNAYrbvlmbV9yJN.jpg)

http://i.imgur.com/lWQ6H5I.png

Nah that wasn't it, I think i'm just going crazy tbh. If I'm not its a series/oneshot on DR. :9

Could you be thinking of Pito's series Her Pet?

Super old but that was it, thanks!

last edited at Apr 24, 2019 9:49AM by Nezchan

cowyouto
Earth Girls discussion 14 Jul 15:47
joined Apr 13, 2014

Can we put some kind of age-gap tag on the latest chapter. I didn't expect it and I had to click off when it happened.

cowyouto
Image Comments 21 Oct 02:36
joined Apr 13, 2014
62210259_p0

Gal pals

cowyouto
Image Comments 21 Oct 02:35
joined Apr 13, 2014
[aa2233a]%2047785962_p4

Perfect

joined Apr 13, 2014

Guys really think that S*** like that actually is what women want, don't they? The fostering of such abhorrent, ignorant, sexist ideologies like that, is exactly why rape-culture is still thriving today! It's sickening! And then saying, "be a man!!"!? That just furthers the misconception that men are 'supposed' to behave as violent pigs, rather than as a human with any inkling of intellect or something even remotely resembling the sense of fundamental morality that makes people responsible for their own actions! Just more victim blaming inducing douche-baggery!

For your first message here, you sure have your panties in a bunch.

Calm down.

That first message is better than 2000+ of yours.

And yours is just as garbage as the first one.

Are you guys really doing a 'whos message is better' war? Really? Reeeallllly? Like jesus at least debate about the content or something more mature.

joined Apr 13, 2014

Guys really think that S*** like that actually is what women want, don't they? The fostering of such abhorrent, ignorant, sexist ideologies like that, is exactly why rape-culture is still thriving today! It's sickening! And then saying, "be a man!!"!? That just furthers the misconception that men are 'supposed' to behave as violent pigs, rather than as a human with any inkling of intellect or something even remotely resembling the sense of fundamental morality that makes people responsible for their own actions! Just more victim blaming inducing douche-baggery!

Here you go

You made my day SF

cowyouto
joined Apr 13, 2014

I see japaneses static shocks are even worse than japaneses cold

Lmao. Careful you'll get static shocks from falling asleep while with wet hair!

cowyouto
Image Comments 28 Apr 23:42
joined Apr 13, 2014
C8vjpgbv0aa8ly-

^ I wish :( I haven't watched it but I asked my friend and he said it's not.

cowyouto
joined Apr 13, 2014

The anime for this series is now on animefushigi.com

Pretty certain there's no such thing, sport.

The name is Omoi no kakera which is translated as fragments of love the same name a Takemiya sensei's manga but turns out it has the same name but is a whole different anime . I got happy for nothing (booooo) .

P.S . Please don't call me sport I am not some little child in my kiddie years . Just for the sake of argument on this I was born in 1978 so do the math and you'll under stand it's rude to call a full grown woman sport .

1978, that's so cute.

I've still got seniority over you kid, so don't try pulling rank. :-P

No need to be rude, mod or not, older or not. She just asked politely not to be called sport.
Edit: plus consistently calling people kid/sport and other age-degrading names shows your maturity well. She realized her mistake in the anime correlation so no need to continue. Plus I realized the dates were off, but i'll leave it as a reminder.

As per the story, I think would've liked to see the two main characters more although that probably wouldn't suit them realistically. I hope if there are more little extras they give even more on the relationship between the barkeeper and her friend.

last edited at Apr 27, 2017 3:42PM

cowyouto
joined Apr 13, 2014

@ cowyouto

The art on the front cover reminds me a lot of a different series character (but i can't remember what it was)

First thing that comes to my mind is Haruko from FLCL:

http://i.imgur.com/lWQ6H5I.png

Nah that wasn't it, I think i'm just going crazy tbh. If I'm not its a series/oneshot on DR. :9

cowyouto
joined Apr 13, 2014

cowyouto
joined Apr 13, 2014

You know I would respect the hell out of this series if they go the hardcore realistic depressing route. Like someones' bottled up emotions expload causing an incident that breaks up the group or they somehow keep this balancing act going until they graduate. Than they drift apart after several years. Than in the last chapter they get together for some school reunion and it reveals that they each found a different way to cope for their messed up love triangle. Like one found a decent guy and preoccupied herself with raising a family, another just kinda broke down and took to sleeping with every woman under the sun, and the last one buried her feelings in work.

I will pray so that nothing that crosses your mind ever happens.

Me too but I think I see something like that here... With 2 friends, maybe they share a pool? Aggg I don't remember TT

Way too off-topic, but wheres your profile pic from? It looks lovely.

bit late, didn't know if anyone answered you. http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/when_you_say_no_i_say_eek

cowyouto
Opapagoto discussion 02 Dec 00:51
joined Apr 13, 2014

Reminds me a bit of shitsurakuen. Thanks for scanlating !