Forum › Posts by abdyn01

joined Jul 23, 2013

Really, if you're willing to jump through the hoops to buy JP manga, the amount of effort it would take you to find the info you're wanting is trivial in comparison.

Making something easier to obtain actually makes a very big difference. Sure people like me will seek out whatever methods we can, but plenty of people who would be willing to buy simply haven't tried because they don't know.

So while ease is one part of it, but visibility and education is also important. Plenty of people assume that there's just no way to buy this stuff and so never bother looking. I didn't know Bookwalker existed before this year, and only started using Pixiv Booth a couple months ago. Yet I've been importing hundreds of manga and BDs and CDs since 2009. I feel like knowing something is readily available is 90% of the battle. The actual buying is the easy part (especially for commercially published manga).

(I also think there's a little bit of a moral imperative for sites like this to surface legal acquisition methods when possible, but wouldn't base my suggestion purely on morality because that's always a dull argument.)

last edited at Jul 27, 2017 7:41PM

joined Jul 23, 2013

Generally, the first thing I do after I read a manga I like here is see if it's available for purchase anywhere. If we love this stuff, we also want to support the artists who create it, right?

The first issue is that so many manga here used translated titles, and since these are mostly niche manga or even doujins, the titles are just made up by the scanslation group. I don't mean made up as in "inaccurate" necessarily, but as in chosen by purely the translators and not based on any more widely-agreed and known English title (because usually, none exists!). That's understandable to a point, but the lack of romanized or at least Japanese titles makes it a pain sometimes to seek out the manga/doujin for purchase. Particularly when scanslators completely replace the original title on the page (which I really dislike), so that I can't even try to search on the Japanese text.

I know Dynasty just aggregates the manga, not does the translations, but would it be possible to add a field or two where users or at least uploaders could provide romanized and Japanese titles? This would cut out a number of extra steps in trying to locate these works for purchase.

Along those lines, I'd also love if users had the ability to provide purchase links directly. For commercial manga the ability to add a Bookwalker JP link (if available) would be great, or Amazon JP or HMV or whatever else. For doujins, the artist might have a DL Site or Pixiv Booth or other foreigner-friendly site from which a copy could be purchased.

If there's already something like this I've somehow never seen, let me know. But right now it seems like, while Dynasty is a well put-together site by and large, it's not really doing as much as I would have hoped to assist readers in supporting legal purchases of the titles and artists we enjoy so much.

last edited at Jul 26, 2017 11:36PM

abdyn01
joined Jul 23, 2013

I see your point Abdyn01, but nothing kills this feeling that even if there were 10 more chapters, even a kiss would be too much for this work... Because the history goes like "X girl loves Y girl, Y girls love A girl, A Girl likes C girl, C Girl likes X girl and there's another girl but it doesn't matter anymore" Because the mangaka at the end wanted an open ending without much details... So this feels like "moe up the butt" .

I feel the opposite, like the manga being cut short changed it quite a lot. There were more and more character monologues about love and jealousy. There was clearly character drama building up on multiple fronts, including the budding romantic. And just as it got going, it simply ended. This manga is definitely a victim of business circumstances. I don't think it would have gotten overly romantic, but I also think that it was developing very nicely into a slightly romantic series, with a bit of drama but not forgetting its lighthearted atmosphere.

Not that there's anything wrong with a simple iyashikei manga about smiles and hugging. In fact I don't think I would have wanted this series to get much more dramatic than it was getting before the last chapter. We can get that from a bunch of other series.

Why I don't buy yuri hime? I can give explanations but at the end is all excuses, everyone could at least buy one friggin manga in their lifetime, maybe I don't have the right to complain but if only those who support the manga can discuss about it, all forums would die, and yes I know that's not what you meant to say but...

People are allowed to discuss whatever they want. It's not complaints about the work as a whole I'm talking about but those complaining about the terrible cop-out ending or whatever. The problem is when a whole community has absolutely no interest in the production side of things. I get that's not the "fun" part of being a fan. It doesn't dull the pain of a prematurely ended manga. But it does hopefully raise awareness of why annoying things happen in the industry, and particularly about what a HUGELY FRAGILE niche yuri is in "commercially viable" terms. i.e. not just doujin one-shots. We'll always have those, but I really need something more.

As for me, I'm still really happy with the first 9 chapters of the manga. I'll just treat it as an unfinished work... which is really is. Not so different, in some ways, from the countless manga that never receive full scanslations. it's like they just disappear into a hole. Sad, but the unavoidable pain of being into manga, it seems. =/

abdyn01
joined Jul 23, 2013

For anyone wondering about the ending, here's a hint: it ran on Tsubomi.

Yeah, I know right? So much unfair rage against the mangaka. Go blame the lack of financial support from fans towards yuri creators. All recent yuri anime have sold terribly. Tsubomi died. Hirari just died. And we're down to only Comic Yuri Hime, basically. I very much hope the people getting angry were also importing the magazine and/or individual series volumes and supporting the authors who are trying to make yuri manga a commercially viable art form. And for the record, yes I own both volumes of this series + all of Hirari and also started buying Comic Yuri Hime two years ago. It's not that expensive, it's so much cheaper than importing anime which I can understand people maybe not being able to afford.

If things don't improve, yuri manga is going to be limited to a purely doujin market, and that would be awful. We need these more formal platforms for longer serialized works, but if nobody is buying it, nobody can rightfully expect it to just keep coming.

You can be disappointed in the ending. I sure am. But I wish people were at least a little curious as to the business side of anime and manga and understood why things happen the way they do.

In the end it all comes down to money. You've got to support what you love.

last edited at Aug 11, 2014 1:51PM

abdyn01
joined Jul 23, 2013

It absolutely is not. Fuck off.

last edited at Apr 21, 2014 8:02PM

abdyn01
joined Jul 23, 2013

Disliking Mitsuki should be a crime, what is wrong with you people? That was a /fantastic/ character arc.