Forum › Posts by NuclearStudent

joined Dec 13, 2018

Unless I'm missing some cultural giant taboo about giving someone else your leftovers (I'm not exactly familiar with Chinese culture), I'm on board with Elsa having hacked the system. With her insane magic abilities I wouldn't put it past her.

What?

I'm Chinese. You goddamn savages in (whatever location you are in) eat each other's leftovers? What about the bacteria/viral contamination from the saliva?

last edited at Dec 4, 2021 7:08PM

joined Dec 13, 2018

NuclearStudent posted:

Discrimination is certainly not cliche. I can hardly remember any yuri mangas which use the term lgbt. Some people are really offended if it's not a fairy tale world

The bullying part was rather ham but described something basically realistic

Outside of dedicating entire chapters or arcs to it, what would have made the bullying part less "ham"?

Ham is going to be subjective. I've cried at things which just look terrible to my eye years later, when my emotional vulnerabilities have changed.

I'd have to say what gets my "this is ham" response rather than "oh god I feel you" response is just little thing about the framing, like the Super Action Punch panel on page 13. Even has a little "has done karate for 10 years" detail which got a smile out of me. The hero stance of the punched guy on page 12 also amuses me.

Again, this stuff is subjective. Five years ago I might have felt emotional about it, and I certainly have no objections to someone feeling strongly about a work I don't have strong emotions about. I'm absolutely certain that this manga really hit home with someone with the Super Action Punch and the rejection of the idea of being pitied.

joined Dec 13, 2018

Discrimination is certainly not cliche. I can hardly remember any yuri mangas which use the term lgbt. Some people are really offended if it's not a fairy tale world

The bullying part was rather ham but described something basically realistic, but the "you need to be a live in caretaker for an attractive older woman" is more egregiously a trope.

That said, I enjoyed Can't Refuse The Lonely Girl despite the blackmail trope in that being a hella contrived excuse.

joined Dec 13, 2018

the setup is pretty cliche and hamfisted, but what the hell, we know what we're in for

joined Dec 13, 2018

what a horribly grim manga, nobody deserves to have a hairstyle like that

joined Dec 13, 2018

Huh, fair enough. I'm more financially pragmatic.

So there is hope after all!

joined Dec 13, 2018

I would think that she killed herself, because if you were living, you'd probably sell your bass. Especially if you had money problems.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

am I reading this right? Am I just seeing things or is this manga foreshadowing Sakurako and Kasumi getting married eventually, like I'm gonna be honest here. I cannot see this chapter as anything other than that, it's sowing the seeds right now right???

I want them to have chimeric Science Babies, not because it really makes sense, but because we could say "omg it was foreshadowed all along."

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

Daaaaaaw Hino trying to act all Chad but still blushing like crazy is all sorts of adorable ! She really cares for her little bear ^_^

Having spent nine years in school with someone named Chad, the only thing this term evokes is the image of someone who farts loudly in public then cracks jokes about it. At first I thought people were using it to describe someone clingy that you can't seem to get rid of (as in a "hanging chad"), but that doesn't seem to be the case.... Is "Chad" meant to be a good thing?

Yes

I’m personally not too fond of seeing the term here, since its recent use originated in the incel forums, meaning (implicitly privileged, overly confident, shallow) sexually active "alpha males.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_(slang)

I know it’s come into wider usage lately, but it’s hard for me to forget its origin in the fetid swamps of the manosphere.

FWIW I only wrote it because I find the expression funny , I really didn't mean anything more by it ! I'm neither a man nor celibate in any case :P You're right that it has a pretty negative origin though and I'll refrain from using it here from now on.

If it makes you feel better, think of Chad as being the winner of the Great Toyota War.

No, really.

https://historyofyesterday.com/the-great-toyota-war-52a22751b2c1

joined Dec 13, 2018

The writing is honestly pretty dumb, but the art is very cute.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

College graduation oh my, and Kasumi saying someone else is waiting for her I see you girl.

Man what can I really say about this series that hasn’t already been said. I only got into it fairly recently(early 2020 lockdown) but even binging a good chunk of the series, how it handles mother time is both refreshing and somewhat bitter sweet. It’s a nice change of pace to actually let significant time pass in a series, and getting to go on a much broader life journey with these characters is great, and seeing them take life in stride and succeed is so inspiring(I wish I accomplished half of what they have in this amount of time) but it’s also a bittersweet reminder that time just goes by so fast lol. Anyone on the younger side who reads this, enjoying the now, because one day you’ll blink and be old and wished you made better memories.

I can somewhat understand people’s frustrations with Kasumi and Sakurako not taking things to another level or whatever, but at the same time it’s been pretty clear for a while that was never gonna happen. It’s so unique to see two people just able to vibe with each other and not care about labels or anything beyond that. They’ve basically been experiencing the end goals of a more traditional relationship for years now, so I’d imagine that also makes superficial stuff like labels pretty irrelevant in their world.

But at the same time, the supporting cast and how they’ve developed is so nice to see happen that it would be great to also see play out for our two leads, even though it’s not needed.

Although I do find the idea they’ve probably never had sex in this 8 years or so pretty wild lol. Not that it’s the end goal or particularly weird as a concept, but neither one of them come off as actually being asexual. But even if it was confirmed they have done that or even out right shown it wouldn’t really change much in terms of actual writing, it would feel more like something for the readers.

Very wholesome series, excited to see their next home and how they adjust to the next chapter of their lives.

I think someone once said that "Kasumi seems so lazy that she'd just die of exhaustion if they even tried to have sex," and even though that probably isn't true in the literal sense, that's her energy

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

College graduation oh my, and Kasumi saying someone else is waiting for her I see you girl.

Man what can I really say about this series that hasn’t already been said. I only got into it fairly recently(early 2020 lockdown) but even binging a good chunk of the series, how it handles mother time is both refreshing and somewhat bitter sweet. It’s a nice change of pace to actually let significant time pass in a series, and getting to go on a much broader life journey with these characters is great, and seeing them take life in stride and succeed is so inspiring(I wish I accomplished half of what they have in this amount of time) but it’s also a bittersweet reminder that time just goes by so fast lol. Anyone on the younger side who reads this, enjoying the now, because one day you’ll blink and be old and wished you made better memories.

I can somewhat understand people’s frustrations with Kasumi and Sakurako not taking things to another level or whatever, but at the same time it’s been pretty clear for a while that was never gonna happen. It’s so unique to see two people just able to vibe with each other and not care about labels or anything beyond that. They’ve basically been experiencing the end goals of a more traditional relationship for years now, so I’d imagine that also makes superficial stuff like labels pretty irrelevant in their world.

But at the same time, the supporting cast and how they’ve developed is so nice to see happen that it would be great to also see play out for our two leads, even though it’s not needed.

Although I do find the idea they’ve probably never had sex in this 8 years or so pretty wild lol. Not that it’s the end goal or particularly weird as a concept, but neither one of them come off as actually being asexual. But even if it was confirmed they have done that or even out right shown it wouldn’t really change much in terms of actual writing, it would feel more like something for the readers.

Very wholesome series, excited to see their next home and how they adjust to the next chapter of their lives.

I think someone once said that "Kasumi seems so lazy that she'd just die of exhaustion if they even tried to have sex," and even though that probably isn't true in the literal sense, that's her energy

joined Dec 13, 2018

I've always hated the almost parasitic nature of most systems in Chinese stories; appearing from nowhere and latching on to a person, going 'Host this' and 'Host that'; compared to the world-wide systems or silent personal programs you see in japanese novels and manga. It's even worse when they pop up in the middle of the story with no preamble.

Perhaps the parasitic system pestering a free-willed person into behaving a specific conformist way is a artistic expression of or, god forbid, a metaphor for something in the authors' lives. :-)

-1000 soccred

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

why is the page 12 face so hilarious

"welp you're confessing to me I guess eh"

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

This twisted mindset needs to be reset. We'll start over from zero with this motorcycle and entrust our careers to the next generation.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

I hope this is Citrus but with actually good writing and without the dark haired girl becoming a total softie.

Just because youre dissapointed in Citrus doesnt mean you should slander it, its writting is just fine

doubt

NuclearStudent
Summer Love discussion 20 Nov 00:56
joined Dec 13, 2018

remember, the 'u' in 'u-haul lesbian' could also stand for 'u and me'

joined Dec 13, 2018

MiniMaekawa low key tried to kill NotShimizu, bruh. Or maybe she was bluffing.

this sounds like a good dark comedy to follow, sign me up

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

bruh

joined Dec 13, 2018

It feels weird even despite knowing there's a timeline where they're apparently in college and dating.

joined Dec 13, 2018

[comment removed]

The impression I got was she tried to hang herself, fell and cut her neck on the chair.

That would make more sense than what I thought, yeah.

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 6:10PM

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

this maid talking about how's being tempted and her restraint is being strained

I'm sorry what comes after complying with "I want you to fuck me senseless"

what restraint are you showing

last edited at Nov 8, 2021 8:51PM

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

Clearly, the answer is "I'm pregnant."

joined Dec 13, 2018

can have sex with a girl until she is 18 ? since when japan? what about making every girl 16 so fat otakus can dream about marry them (because it was suppose to be legal by that age)

Necessary reminder that Mao isn't a desperate, socially maladjusted wanker. :v

I really like how, even though Mao is a degenerate and a parasite upon society, even she has standards. I do love the "scum discovering her standards" trope.

joined Dec 13, 2018

What happened to the thread?

This twisted thread needed to be reset. That's what the moderators are for...we needed to entrust yuri discussion to the next generation.