Image Comments 05 Mar 00:28
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015
73484185_p0

Super friends

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I guess this is just because the Student Council was not a big thing at the school I went to, but I've never seen the "Stuco" abbreviation before until recently. At first I was like "you mean stucco? Are we talking about architecture now?" I still haven't seen it outside anime translations or anime discussions.

(And being a giant weeb, I've seen the Japanese term "seitokai" used much more frequently in anime discussions anyway.)

Also, that net scene on page 15 reminded me of sports anime, because I read somewhere recently that there was a controversy about Haikyuu(?) making nets invisible around certain characters' faces to make them show up better, rather than drawing the net in full and letting it cover the characters' faces.

And the net scene may be some symbolism representing the divide between Maki and Yuu.

last edited at Mar 3, 2019 9:02PM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

For instance, when humans first walked on the Moon there were people alive who had been born before the start of the US Civil War.

That's an interesting one.

(The last WWI veterans lived to see the debut of the iPad.)

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

ah so it was just yuri bait after all. Dropped

Not sure. Spaghetti is straight until it gets wet.

Well that's a cute saying but considering the author...

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I cannot relate at all to the MC's love of shameless rom-coms lol. Inifinite Stratos was the first anime I watched after a hiatus from anime and it is still one of the worst series I have ever watched. My pick from that show would be Laura

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I've never seen it called "LoliOnee" before, only "OneeLoli".

But after reading the comic I realized LoliOnee was right. Carry on, then.

Mayjaplaya
Image Comments 16 Feb 17:53
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015
Dzvbgljuuaend73-orig

they plan their honeymoon to be in Hawaii
Best they spend their honeymoon in bed

Why not both?

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

seem like sakurako has been reading swap<->swap lately and had a dream about it.

Came here to post this. That reference is so uncanny I bet Yukiko must have read the manga.

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I always thought high school was part of "grade school".

From Wikipedia's article on Primary school: "The term grade school is sometimes used in the US, although this term may refer to both primary education and secondary education."

I guess that's what I get for living in Canada?

Mayjaplaya
Image Comments 01 Feb 02:42
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015
72877544_p0

Ashita wan nani naru, yagate kimi ni naru~~

Mayjaplaya
Flirty Camp discussion 31 Jan 21:27
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

pg. 26: Suikarin

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

I haven't considered it before, but a flat Momose is good too~~

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

0-100 real quick in 3 seconds

last edited at Jan 19, 2019 8:37PM

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

This series just get gayer and gayer. I love it. In the beginning it was so mild that the yuri tag was missing. I still wonder about Kasumi and Sakurako's relationship, they're kissing, wearing matching panties, cups and clothes; they even sleep together every night, but neither of them made it official .-.

Totally platonic.

Also totally asexual.

Mayjaplaya
Image Comments 09 Jan 01:30
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015
Dm5apbsvaaag16c-orig

This guy is fairly obscure; I found them a while back when searching for FliFla stuff but none of their books were scanned. I had trouble even figuring out what their name was in the doujin/booru sites to see if there was anything there.

last edited at Jan 9, 2019 1:30AM

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

But she seems so stupid...

I don't remember Kasumi being that savage goddamn

Also, regarding CH. 35, it was a mistake of Sakurako to not store her new pictures into a locked folder... or just lock her whole phone.

I guess Yukiko just wanted to make a joke so it doesn't really matter.

last edited at Jan 4, 2019 4:23AM

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Actually, I think Japan is MORE enamored with suicide than the west, whether it be in romance or in real life. There's the modern real-life suicide epidemic in Japan, as well as the historical "honorable" Japanese suicides, seppuku/hara-kiri. Just 3 years ago, the big (and really good) romance anime movie Koe no Katachi dropped, and in it both romantic leads were about to kill themselves in some point of the story, but were stopped.

Sure, Touko's probably not actually going to kill herself, but with the signs and symbolism Nakatani dropped, I think she's implying Touko might have killed herself after pulling off the play if Yuu wasn't there to save her or something.

last edited at Jan 3, 2019 5:16PM

Mayjaplaya
Image Comments 03 Jan 06:06
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015
Shiroishiyc

I think Afro tried to keep the yuri subtext down throughout the series, but having Rin get so friendly with Sakura was a mistake if he didn't want people to see Yurukyan as a Yuri series.

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

But just to play devil's advocate here, assume the story was less simplistic than it is. What if at this phase of Touko's life, the drive to be perfect was actually useful no matter the source of it? Maybe without it, she would be just some ordinary girl who doesn't study and is shy and lazy, which would have repercussions for her future. One cannot deny that hating herself has caused her at least two good consequences: she pushed her shyness as a child aside and became a super competent person who is a student council president, and now is also good at acting which is something she genuinely likes.

So I'm not saying Yuu didn't have good intentions, but I separate between intentions, consequences and timing. If Yuu had met Touko earlier, ironically she might well have ruined the awesome person Touko became. We like Yuu because she changed Touko from being self-hating at the right time, but still, I can't help but feel uneasy about the fact she tried to change Touko at all.

Funny thing is, Touko's Onee-chan Mio really was a bit lazy and averse to studying, so the real Touko is closer to the real Mio than she initially thought. And this fake perfect mask Touko put on... well, she didn't know Mio's fake perfect mask was a fake perfect mask, so even though she's faking it and Mio faked it, Touko ended up being like Mio in more ways than she initially knew. I guess it's why the series' Japanese title "Yagate, Kimi ni Naru" can be translated "eventually, you will become yourself".

However! After seeing the last episode, I think Nakatani's implying Touko would've killed herself after the play if Yuu never showed up. I can't be sure about this, but the way she says "I'll finish this play... and then what?" and then the shot of the dead cicada wings, combined with Touko stepping in front of that train and the "to the final destination" sign... I'm not sure Touko successfully becomes awesome and perfect whether Yuu appears or not.

Maybe the manga simply should have been about three teen girls figuring out teen life and then ultimately staying friends as they become adults and their paths diverge ...

Honestly, it's been in the back of my mind for a long time that Touko and Yuu could end up being only friends. Until Yuu's big confession, I really wondered if Yuu really was never in love with Touko. I was poisoned by the ridiculous "asexual" discussion in the early chapters.

Personally, while I do like the main cast and they're all nice and well-written, none of them really captured my imagination like [see my display picture] so I won't feel quite as burned by a "platonic friends" or Touko x Sayaka ending as what happened in that other show. Actually, now that I think about it, a Touko suicide ending would hurt, not that that would actually happen, right?

last edited at Jan 2, 2019 11:12AM

Mayjaplaya
Oddman 11 discussion 31 Dec 00:26
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Instant karma lol

Also that fire extinguisher bash reminded me of Shoujo Sect... except this one did exactly 0 damage

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Poor girl's about to get a taste of the yuri infirmary trope

Mayjaplaya
Image Comments 27 Dec 21:46
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015
72254088_p0%20(1)

friendzone

By God, no less.

And then Homuhomu rebelled. Literally.

Mayjaplaya
Oddman 11 discussion 26 Dec 06:04
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

lol, just in case you didn't realize Ika-chan was a reference to Ika Musume (Squid Girl)

Mayjaplaya
62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Natsuki-san

There were no honorifics in the actual VN, and it was originally in English anyway so you'll only see -san in a Japanese fan translation.

It looks like this is a Korean doujin, so this ended up being an Korean-to-English-but-with-Japanese-honorifics translation, huh?

I've totally overanalyzed a silly 4-page doujin...

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Uh. Well, this isn't what I expected would be the subject when I came to make a post. If I may add my two cents, I'll just say that part of the problem stems from what any one person thinks tagging is for. There's (at least) two ways to think of tagging, and both are reasonable.

The first way is to tag with descriptions of the content in a more literal way. This generally requires more tagging and can more make it more troublesome to find things similar to what you want, but can potentially give more granularity in categorization.

The second is tagging based on the story and themes. This makes finding certain kinds of stories more flexible, but has the potential to leave out tags that might be important descriptors to some people.

There isn't an easy solution that would satisfy everyone. Personally I prefer the second method with exceptions for tags that could be considered warnings. For this particular story I believe Yuri by itself is more appropriate than Bisexual either by itself or together with yuri. Outside of the set-up I don't think we've encountered anything that warrants Bisexual. This doesn't mean that the characters are not bi, but rather that (at least so far) it hasn't been a large element of the story. This is as opposed to, say, Ohana Holoholo which has, and very much deserves, both Yuri and Bisexual tags.

I'm not going to say that I have the best idea or anything because obviously that can't be true for everyone, and there's certainly times that require an exception. Just my two cents.

edit: my original comment was going to be that this has escalated much quicker than most manga out there and I am SO in favor of that.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's why Dynasty has ridiculous, super-specific one-off tags like "Conspicuous white fluid on page 26", "Imaginary dick on page 9" and "Dicks on page 22-23". Sarcastically, I'm going to suggest to tag it "Bisexual on pages 1-2", even though the whole chapter was just 3 pages... and people would've complained about that anyway!