Forum › Posts by Apocryphal

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Really surprised by the overreactions, but also generally happy with the counter-reactions. I'm gonna try not to repeat points that have already been raised. BreadBunny, Uranus, and Blastaar made some excellent points, as well as others that chimed in. so if I do repeat, I'll try to blaze through these. Also, to be honest, I'm not gonna touch on the subject of realism or history-aligned authenticity. I do not think these matter much more than serving as the setting of the story.

Firstly, it's pretty clear that Momo's mother was not coerced into anything, and that both she and Juju are at the very least content with the arrangements they've made and the lives they live. Saying that this represents a statement of sorts is a wild exaggeration. Do I hope for a happy ending for the two of them? Absofuckinglutely and I don't think that given that well-established vibe of the story and competence of its characters, it will be all that tragic or devastating. Like, hell, I can fully imagine the queen being inspired by Momo's tenacity and going "you know what, I still love her and I want to make it work" or something along those lines.

I am not worried about a bad ending, this author has consistently been dodging the angst and heavy drama.

Not to mention, this story, and its author, have been very consistent in their approach to conflicts and in the lightheartedness of the story. It's been a fluff ride since page 1, and I see no indication of it changing. They've also made it pretty clear that the characters are communicative and can get points across, which made for swift and effective resolutions to conflicts, and I do not see this changing either.

This leads to the biggest point, the folks jumping the gun have done so while the story is still laying the groundwork of the current plotline. The supposedly ominous letter from the queen and how it plays out are huge parts of it, and will wholly dictate what direction this ride takes. I do not expect any harsh turbulence, but I do expect clear communication between characters;

That said, anybody who hasn't picked up on all the foreshadowing that Aki's temporarily embarrassed wolf royalty is reading a different manga than the one I've been reading...

I also expect this as the most likely way the story plays out. I've been of this opinion for the longest time, it was rather clear that Aki has been of some noble status at the very least, and that whatever drove her from her home must have been significant enough for her to completely ditch that status. I hope this finally comes into play.

I also expect the conversation between the wreck Aki is going to be and the queen to be mightily amusing. So yeah, in short, I actually am pretty fond of those developments and excited to see how they play out. I don't expect heavy or long-lasting drama, I'll say that with confidence.

As an aside, while writing this the power went out in the entire block, but Firefox was a true G and the text remained when I booted the PC again. Big fan.

last edited at Jan 28, 2023 8:44AM

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

"We'll bang, okay?"

-- Mashiro, probably.

Not gonna lie, I was certain this would actually be this chapter's crux. Thought (and still riding the honesty train, hoping) they'd both (or Mashiro at least) be a mess of horny not sure what to do with itself. Like seriously, page 3 sets this up quite probably on purpose in the way that it does. But we got a good dose of fluff before the nitty gritty, so I'm a big fan. I do hope they directly tackle the subject, though. I don't need this to turn R-18 or anything, but go big, not home. Honestly the series has consistently been going big, so I'm optimistic.

Nagisa's half pragmatism half naivete is also infinitely amusing, by the way.

Also:

Seriously Mashiro's expression when she calls the choker on her adorable is chefs kiss

Absofuckinglutely. Dropped my jaw at that. Also the choker look was chef's kiss in itself.

last edited at Jan 24, 2023 4:46PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I could very well be wrong but I think what it is with the young Lady is that she does like Mia, she just also wants Chloé/wants Chloé bc she doesn't have her or bc she's her moms maid

Rereading through the chapters and it seems like young lady's focus is solely on Chloe. I can't say if that's because Mia is already hers, as shown in the first chapter, or due to anything else. She's also upset with Chloe being very clearly attached/attracted/yes to her mother, whom she's already upset with. That's why she mentions something along the lines of her mother stealing everything she wants. Actually, looking at chapter 1 again, it does seem like she's upset about her mother and Chloe's closeness.

In any case, for some reason I find this series incredibly fucking hot. I was pretty firm on my pairings before, and I still expect, hope, and almost demand more Mother/Chloe shit, but seeing the two sisters in this chapter just made me fucking cast any reason aside. Also I didn't necessarily expect either of the involved parties to be as proactive as they are, or more simply - shit's escalating hella fast, and I'm definitely all for it.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

"...there's still space for me to get between them..." is a very interesting way of phrasing this.

Pretty sure this is a very common phrasing when trying to drive someone apart.

I'd say that "space for me" is what changes it. It's probably me reading more deeply into it than I should, but I read it as a phrasing that implies, alongside the visuals of the panel, that she quite literally gets in between rather than straight up trying to separate them. Like, it doesn't really seem like she wants to completely remove Nadesihko from the equation, or rather that she doesn't necessarily mind if she stays around.

last edited at Jan 20, 2023 12:26PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Man, at the start I was like "here we go! this is it!" but I guess not. We're getting there, though. I'm particularly amused since Jun obviously does not mind Nadeshiko, and in this chapter "...there's still space for me to get between them..." is a very interesting way of phrasing this. In no scenario is Nadesihko actually removed from the equation. Like, really, I'm pretty much inclined to believe that the endgame is a menage a trois, and that at the very least there will be a threesome.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Each chapter makes my eyes wet, it's always a feeling of what could have been. I really like this one, can't wait for more.

Right? I'm seriously dreading and looking forward to more. Aizawa clearly is playing what she wanted her life to be and yet it never will. Also think about how lonely she must be after everyone goes home and she's just stuck there.

Yeah. I love how this series is legitimately incredibly sweet and heartwarming while contrasting with Aizawa's death and loneliness and, in my eyes, voicelessness, as well as the 'what-ifs' both she and Michi are missing out on. It's perfectly bittersweet in the best sense of the word, which makes me both anxious and excited about every new thing we see.

This chapter too was incredibly sweet which actually made me tear up a bit as well. Michi getting closer to Kasumi and Reona was wholly adorable. I just also want to point out that Kasumi is absurdly cute and I simply cannot. And Michi giving Aizawa a piece of the cake was also a terrific moment, I liked how Aizawa started getting jealous and afraid again, but how her face lit up when she saw the cake was simply amazing.

Two things caught my eye. Firstly, I'm inclined to believe Reona's friends have shunned her for befriending "the weirdo", we'll see if it comes to play. Secondly, page 15 - "...maybe turn into a girl..." the dude responded with a "well okay then". My boy's gonna do it, I guarantee.

last edited at Jan 20, 2023 5:20AM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Big fan of quick-on-the-uptake mother, only thing that would've been better was if she actually went to Hinoka and told her "wait, if it's Tsukushi we're talking about..." or something like that. I also absolutely love going back to previous chapters, so many things have a completely different light to them now that we see things from Hinoka's point of view, and I'm very much inclined to believe it's intentional.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

So we're clear, I fully understand why some are incensed by this, and that the girl was definitely being sus, to say the least.

Specifically in this story, though, contextually, I don't see any harm being done or having been done. I'm in the camp that says if both parties are okay with it, then they can knock themselves out, which is pretty clear what this story depicts. It all ended up being rather wholesome, really.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

This would feel more compelling if it wasn't all based on a silly misunderstanding on Minami's part, but it's cute so eh.

I feel that the series is playing with the misunderstanding pretty well, especially since no one knows what goes through Yuzu's head, any potential route is at the very least plausible, so there's always tension. Also, I mean, I feel like I can wholeheartedly empathize with Minami, which makes it more compelling to me.

In any case, about the chapter - I'm actually really liking the way things developed. This misunderstanding was dissolved as quickly as it was raised and gave place to dive a bit into Tsubasa's character. I love seeing these stoic, aloof characters' icy exterior melt, and Tsubasa getting flustered was cute.

Also I love all those panels in which Minami just becomes a blob of gushing over something, and I was wondering, specifically in the case of page 18's "what a freakin' supernova of cute", how do lines like this or the earlier "gosh darn..." appear in the original text?

As an aside, for some reason, pages 16-17 made Still Loving You by Scorpions play in my head.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

This is one of my favorite things. Every once in a while I either go back to it consciously or even better yet "rediscover" it while searching for a completely different thing, and every single time I'll be reading it like 4-5 times because it's just that good, and I really hope to see more of this someday. Also page 36's bottom-right panel, Waon's expression is just so pretty and cute with the mischievous smile, I adore it.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Holy shit. Mother having a temper outburst over Tae calling her "mother" and saying she won't let Tae have Mai was not on my bingo card. Hell, I need to get a completely new one. This series really does constantly keep surprising, and I'm very entertained. Also pages 21-23 were bizarrely romantic, but also really sweet. Mai's a killer smooth operator. Page 22 is gorgeous.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Lovely. ^_^

Also, that other couple looks familiar. ;)

Caught that too, but was hesitant to call it out first. Made me grin like a gremlin.

I just realized that this means those two can legally get married as well. ^_^

Oh my god, you're right. I want to see this, somehow. I need to.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Lovely. ^_^

Also, that other couple looks familiar. ;)

Caught that too, but was hesitant to call it out first. Made me grin like a gremlin.

I absolutely loved Kurumi... what's a good word... Pampering? Her treatment of Ruriko this chapter. A display of affection and love that is mundane and grounded, like it's part of their rhythm. Even though there isn't the clear, more bombastic "I love this person" displays that romance manga usually sees and I wouldn't lie, I would also like to see, it's abundantly clear how much she does treasure her. In a way, this simplicity makes it so much better.

last edited at Jan 9, 2023 8:40AM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

...I personally don't think that the new character was Mai's mother, I feel that it'd be too silly for this series...

From my own comment the other day, which I have edited with this comment instead of posting a new one, fun for me. In any case, well, slap me silly. I don't hate this development, but any semblance of an answer to questions about this story's direction was thrown out of the window, pretty much. Let's see what happens from here on out. I'll be fully honest, I've seen the idea of shipping Mai's mother with Tae at least twice, and... uh... I'm not totally against this, y'know?

Also big oof for Yuki, she's a good egg.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Randomly stumbled across this. It combines two things I love very much - otomekai and yuri, and I do not have anywhere near enough of this in my life. I'm most probably going to love this, and I'm absolutely loving the developments of these three chapters. I'm in the villainess camp, personally.

Also why the fuck is the art so good?

last edited at Jan 7, 2023 6:00PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I edited this comment instead of making a new one, fun for all the family. Quick sum up of original comment: loli draco malfoy is cursed; I'll reserve judgment till end of volume; I didn't think new girl would be Mai's mother as it'd be silly even for this series.

last edited at Jan 8, 2023 2:54PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Yuki was definitely not originally planned, but that's very common...and I think Yuki has mostly added to the manga so far by showing how strong Mai and Tae's bond has gotten...

Right. It's kinda hard to explain, especially since in my own head it makes sense, but for the most part, many series feel like they have these few backup characters or ideas in their sleeve already so that they could still keep going. When thinking about both Mai and Hitomi, they both have their own little schtick that helps define them, the former being the seductress and the latter the mute wildcard, these ideas have been in place from the get-go. It doesn't exactly feel that way with Yuki, she doesn't exactly have that schtick unless hating grown-ups or being rich count as such, and I think right now the series is trying to figure out how to fit her in or what exactly her place is.

As for how her arc will end, I assume she will eventually get the courage to confess to Tae, who will then have to find a way to let her down gently. The question is how this will impact Mai; I can see that going a number of different ways depending on where the author wants to take the manga next. Maybe it'll even happen at the end of this volume?

Definitely possible, but for some reason, it feels like a really weird development for me. It feels too definitive, I think. I do think that Yuki's involvement will help Mai figure out what Tae actually means to her, but I can't really see Tae being confessed to by anyone at this point. Unless the series goes full Ikenai Otona in which case, by all means, please do.

last edited at Jan 6, 2023 3:28PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I don't think Yuki's actually in love with Tae in a romantic way (and am completely prepared to be proven wrong later). She's desperate for a loving Onee-sama and Tae just so happens to be her Onee-sama of choice..
...Mai's flirting still feels so much more deliberate and directed

In spite of current evidence I maintain my position.
Yuki's obsessed and fascinated with Tae...

These are most probably by design. Mai acting the way she does and how she looks are practically the crux of the series. Yuki doesn't have that "defined" place within the overall dynamic, but she slid in after and as a result of her interactions with Tae, and I think now we're in the process of finding her "place" in the series.

Rather than outright in love, I'd say her being infatuated with Tae is the most accurate description, and it doesn't necessarily matter whether it's a romantic connection or a sisterly one, it might even end up being both, with Yuki fulfilling the very loving younger sister trope/slot. I'd say the biggest evidence of that would actually be how competitive against Mai she is in anything that relates to Tae, the happenings of this chapter only serve to cement and reinforce what was already implied. Either case, I think that Yuki views Tae as far more than a regular big-sister figure, I think that much is rather clear.

In any case and about the recent chapters themselves. I'm not too sure what this series wants to do with itself both in general and specifically regarding Yuki. I don't know how I feel about these developments - do I want any payoff, what would be a good payoff in my book here, was having Yuki as a "rival" even necessary? I'm actually rather fond of her as a character, but in truth, I don't think Yuki was originally planned as part of the series, and I do not think she was ever needed. With all that said, what I do know is that I am very entertained and that I still think this series is surprisingly well-written, all things considered. I want to say fuck it, go big or go home, but I do not know that this is what I want.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Had an absolute garbage day, glad to at least have some solace through this as well as the adorable KimiShinu chapter, amusingly enough. I don't know how to format images in comments, but this is my general feeling right now.. Really looking forward to more.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Pretty much Shiina gushing over Mimi the entire chapter, and I'm all here for it. Especially while talking with Haru, that was so fucking cute, I've been grinning like a madman. Also the new year illustration/page 29's illustration is amazing. Please just keep the fluff going. Pretty please.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

My father passed I want to say some 9 years ago after a period of illness during which my mother and my 20-year-old self were his caretakers. He had developed dementia as a result of untreated diabetes, as well as other complications. I want to say you'd be surprised what this does to a barely functioning, already depressed 20-year-old, but I do not think one would.

I have a very good memory, and I do not forget much or forget easily. It is the bad things that I remember most clearly, sadly. Dementia-fueled mutterings and pained cries, some unpleasant stuff from before his illness, how terrible my last interaction with him was, the absolute bullshit circumstances around his death which deserve a rant of their own. Part of me wishes I could, rather than forget, move on. I agree with SpencerSDH's comment, though I do not necessarily think recording their voices is for everyone, I don't think it is for me...

But to be honest... both culturally and personally, I don't have things like what's displayed in this chapter. No family reunion holidays or days/traditions of mourning the dead, I guess other than memorial days, no traditions of visiting graves, giving life reports to deceased loved ones, etc... I'd give anything to hear his voice now. Anything to hear his opinions on the last three years, with him coming from a medical background. Not necessarily apologize, but do things over.

There isn't much of a point to the above, I'm just sharing. This chapter was all sorts of special, and it brought back some powerful emotions to the surface.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Kaori is so excited for an ending, maybe paralleling that she's accepted her own. Shizuku, on the other hand, delaying it for as long as she possibly can. Fucking hurts, dude.

I also like how Ruri's feelings and experiences are fully valid, and she's given no room for self-doubt and self-belittling. I'm not sure what further role she has nor what would I like her role to be, but I think I'd at least want her and Shizuku to properly bury the hatchet, and I'm kinda looking forward to that. And kinda absolutely not since, just like Shizuku, I'd rather delay the ending for as long as humanly possible. This is so fucking good, but it hurts so fucking much. Fuck.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I fucking love this. Kiku is a goddess. She just shut her up mid-tirade with a kiss. And page 15's "I think I might actually prefer it..." Like the commenter above said, a true Useful Lesbian™. This is the turbo-yuri we would like to see once in a while.

last edited at Dec 28, 2022 3:31PM

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Now that's a nice surprise. Shower me with the goodness, please. I'll never get tired of Nagori's work.

Apocryphal
Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Like another comment said, it ain't the best thing since sliced bread, and it doesn't need to be. Sign me up. I feel like I'm going to love this.