Forum › Posts by KCM

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Okay here's my guess: Watanabe has an ex-crush or ex-girlfriend from middle school that she fell out with (thats who was texting her) and so she immersed herself in the world of yuri as a way of escaping and deflecting from her own sexuality, vowing to "never have a 3d love again" and so she's gonna try to distance herself from Yoshioka out of fear of loss again.

This would make everything make so much more sense, so it'll most likely be something else.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

What will Watanabe do next? Deny her feelings, probably. We're in for another round of denial, folks.

I really don't care about any of the other couples... I want to, but Yoshioka and Watanabe are the only interesting ones.

I feel like I figured out why this feels like it should be more of a comedy/parody-- it's the art style. It's bouncy and round and everyone has a bit of the sameface that would be a lot more easily solved if everyone besides Yoshioka and Watanabe had a more distinctive personality.

Looking forward to the next installation where Watanabe (probably) has a crisis of desire! Thanks for all your hard work.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

The school might be a yuri fest but honestly, Yoshioka's just a lesbian

... i don't get the difference at all
lesbians, pls explain

The side characters are just souers and they're happy to be, but Yoshioka wants a real girlfriend.

Actually, that's kind of a more rewarding way to look at the story: Yoshioka is the only real lesbian slowly awakening within the restrictive walls of an S-Class scenario. And Watanabe is also there!

last edited at May 28, 2022 10:38AM

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

The series feels like it's playing too many of the tropes straight to be a good parody. A good parody requires both a love or the source and a willingness to poke fun at the source material.

While I can tell the author is writhing this from a place of love, at times certain tropes feel almost sacred and beyond criticism.Some tropes are played straight for the sake of playing them straight, without adding anything to the original trope. Many common tropes are merely lampshaded, no letting reality ensue or looking at what a trope like this would actually imply.

That said, a whole lot of this manga reads like its trying to be a parody, only just missing the mark. Watanabe kinda rockets past being a relatable otaku and ends up being just a terrible person. It's a fun comparison to the popular "villainous" MC's, as the girl actually is as manipulative and selfish as they often are supposed to be. Yoshioka basically steals the show as the eventual protagonist, as readers kinds stop caring about Watanabe's current obsession and instead are rooting for Yoshioka to ruin the plans just enough to make progress with her crush.

If I had to pick a singular problem, it's that the whole setting feels too close to Watanabe's perfect, vanilla yuri paradise, even when we aren't seeing things from her perspective.

Bingo bango, you nailed it. I like this series quite a lot, it just doesn't go as hard in either a dramatic or comedic direction for a lot of folks, myself also included. I just can see so much potential going unused.

last edited at May 27, 2022 8:27PM

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yuri_is_taboo_to_a_yuri_otaku_ch11#4

"The mysteriously long path from the main gate to the school building" sounds like a parody to me. So there is some lampshading here and there

True, but there are SO MANY other opportunities that have come and gone to take the piss out of the characters, tropes, and setting esp with nerd-ass Watanabe as the protag. I'm not saying it SHOULD be a gag parody manga, I'm just surprised it never has become one I suppose. Or even just added more depth to everything beyond the surface level 'fancy all girls school' setup. Not bad, just interesting.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Since someone else pointed it out, I can't get over how this ISN'T a parody of S-class tropes.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Omg Watanabe can't help herself. Worst Mob Ever (in terms of just moving the plot along without getting involved herself)

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

:'D my dreams are becoming reality

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Ooooh, interesting~

KCM
Mermaid Bay discussion 12 May 19:50
Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Oooh fun worldbuilding! I would like to see more, but seeing just a peek is also interesting.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

And her redemption arc starts now 9_9

last edited at Apr 22, 2022 10:14AM

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Alt title: Cornered by Codependent Cathy

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

WE HAVE SELF REALIZATION

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

I only read this just now and after glancing the comments I'm surprised that Watanabe is disliked, she isn't mean or anything, just... over the top awkward.

Most of us don't necessarily dislike her so much as we want her to have character development and grow out of her "must stop the gyaru from contamining my yuri" before any relationship takes form.

That's me. She's quite endearing, it's just wild how she bends reality to her will.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Is Virgo the main character?!

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Poor Neeko. :'(

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

I hope the creator will do a couple little longer short stories with these girls. I love 'em

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

The tags had me raising my brows, but this was adorable

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

I think my main issue was how awful Watanabe has treated Yoshioka. Be it in her thoughts or not. Meanwhile, Yoshioka turned out to be this nice girl, a great sister, and overall a good person. All because she didn't fit with the narrative inside Watanabe's head. Now doesn't that sound familiar huh? Now I'm not sure if it's a clever setup or not, but if it was, bravo.

Regardless, this chapter was a nice step in the right direction. I just want to like Watanabe. I already like Yoshioka. Let me like the other protag.

Yeah Watanabe seems like a stereotypical "I like yuri because its pure, and its different from those gross real life lesbians" type of character (of coure with a big helping of internalized homophobia because she can't allow herself to be "yuri") and I hope that she gets a proper character arc where she learns to stop viewing everyone through that lens of "yuri manga roles". I think there's some potential for Yoshioka to have a big positive influence on Watanabe.

I'd say she doesn't even like yuri in general, just the very specific marimite corner of the genre. Which is pretty much the least grounded in reality and the least attainable of the bunch . Her ideal is 90% esthetics and 10% actual human emotions and desires.

Yes to all of this.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Watanabe has been overstepping her supposed limitations as a mob from day one, really.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

I noticed so. Since begining, that is what Watanabe fundamentally acknowledge of what yuri meant for her. And that's what make her turn into Radical Classist Yuri-danshi. LOL.

She should learn more contemporary yuri literatures aka doujins.

Right! And it's totally fine that she likes a certain specific scenario and tropes and whatnot, but her schoolmates fundamentally are different than shipping fictional characters. Watanabe just needs to learn that 1) she cannot control how other people feel about one another and 2) it's okay for other people to like people who ypu don't think 'suits their image.'

She's (Watanabe) adorable and just wants everyone to be in compatible relationships, but her fatal flaw is wanting to make them happy in a way that makes her happy first rather than accepting that real life doesn't need to reflect her desires.

It also would be nice if she stopped judging Yoshioka's looks and behavior as inherently bad and needing to be reigned in, but hopefully that'll come.

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Watanabe is actively getting in the way of naturally occurring yuri bc she's classist. This is the greatest parody of Maria-sama yet!

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Libra likes to take care of people and slacking off

I feel seen

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Zodiac themed yuri?????? So much potential...!!!

KCM
Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

That was a trip.