Forum › Posts by Simca

joined Jan 3, 2020

I can see feeling awkward about freeloading in the house of your gf's aunt without your gf... OTOH seems like you should get a job before giving up free rent.

Though I guess I'm not sure the location is good if you don't have a moped ride, either.

Yeah, they don't even mention the transportation thing, but it is a big issue with how far that house is.

Simca
Citrus + discussion 21 Mar 18:18
joined Jan 3, 2020

I think if the chapter stopped before the conversation between the boy and his father, I would have disliked it a lot. I think that conversation changes everything though. I think the new guy is being honest in his convictions and this will renew the plot around the academy's future. He'll certainly come across the 'reason Mei changed' (Yuzu) during all of this, which sounds fun.

Since it seems like it's just an excuse to get Yuzu jealous,

I could swear it was Yuzu who cluelessly got his number. If at all, it's Mei's turn to be jealous now for once.

I mean, you'd think that but it was Yuzu's internal monologue about a feeling in her chest at the end.

I suspect Yuzu will be jealous because... she's Yuzu and that's basically her thing (kind of baffling how she can't identify envy at this point...), but I have some hope it won't be a central focus.

Although it would be fun if she got jealous enough to blurt out her relationship with Mei in front of that guy, outing them both.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Holy shit, the "People Who Complain About Their Partners Might Be Into You" article search result had me laughing really hard.

I don't mind the plot so far; awful person x awful person is fine. Relationship drama is fine too. I... couldn't handle the places Manio's other manga went, though, so I will probably keep reading until it gets too dark/weird for me.

Simca
Anemone discussion 24 Feb 11:01
joined Jan 3, 2020

presently, people who live without having to work by nature of their blood, funded by the rest of us, when we all could live that well if they did not exist.

The first part of this is only correct in the most technical way possible, and the second part is so naive that I can't tell if you are serious or if it is just a cute bit of wordplay.

To elaborate on the first point, yes, technically the lifestyle of the royal family is basically paid for by the State. Realistically, though, it isn't. That's because the royal family owns a huge amount of land, and there is a centuries old agreement in place which allows the State to collect all the proceeds from the land as long as the British royal family remains in power. Because this agreement is entirely voluntary and renewed by each new monarch, ending the monarchy would actually directly drain money from the State (unless something crazy happened like the royal family entirely dissolving their holdings and returning them to the State which seems incredibly unlikely). So the whole "the taxpayers have to pay for the royal family's extravagant lifestyle and it's such a big deal" argument is actually uninformed, since the cost of not having the royal family in power means not getting the free money from their land (which substantially eclipses what their lifestyle costs).

last edited at Feb 24, 2023 11:22AM

Simca
Cross Fire discussion 31 Dec 06:19
joined Jan 3, 2020

I love this kind of edgy bullshit. Anyone have anything similar?

China produces a lot of weird serial killer/crazy obsessive Yuri... for some reason.

Honestly you can't get more similar to this story than Kill Me Now. Here's a few others that involve murders and crazy amounts of drama:
I'm More Dangerous Than You (official translation on Bilibili Comics)
Let's Kill Your Husband (official translation on Manta)
Killing Mr. Park (official translation on Manta)

joined Jan 3, 2020

Volume 3 of the LN is out in English now, and it is massively changed from the WN version. I think the changes are extremely good, too. From what I've heard of the later parts of the WN, I don't think I would have liked it.

If you like the manga series, check out the LN - it is quite good. Had me tears at several points.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Definitely a squee worthy chapter.

joined Jan 3, 2020

That sounds like a thorough misreading of one or both of these two manga.

Yeah seriously. Crescent Moons had a definitive they're together. They just are Ace. Which makes sense to the characters.

This one is very less Ace.

At the very least, Ruriko seems sexually interested in Kurumi. Not sure about Kurumi's interest in Ruriko but it does seem to be building up over time, so it's probably a traditional slow-burn romance story.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Have to say I missed it being ace...

I'm ace, and I missed it being ace.

I was freaking out within the first chapter, sending my friend screenshots. LOOK AT THIS! THIS IS TOO RELATABLE! I DID NOT SIGN UP TO READ YURI MANGA TO BE PERSONALLY CALLED OUT!

And then I really did not expect the author to make the ace stuff a major theme she would double down on. I think it’s interesting to have characters who never use any explicit labels for themselves. That’s a major contrast from Voice, Lilies, Wear Wind. It’s kind of nice, I think.

Label usage is incredibly rare in Eastern stories in general. The amount of Yuri stories where the word 'lesbian' is used is likely under 20%.

Voice, Lillies, Wear Wind was very abnormal in actually using the label.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Have to say I missed it being ace, perhaps re-reading will help me catch hints.

There's definitely lots of hints about being ace, even as early as the second chapter. The problem is that coming to identify as ace and coming to identify as a non-ace lesbian when the person only has experience with men is something that looks very similar at first.

After all, when you have only had sexual experiences with men but aren't attracted to them (and didn't realize this yourself), it is easy to be unsure of your interest in sex at all. Some people on that path will discover they are ace, and some will discover that they just weren't dating people they were really attracted to. (And neither outcome is wrong or bad, obviously!)

It doesn't help that past experience has generally taught Yuri readers that if characters have a story arc like this, 98% of the time the outcome in manga is "repressed-but-sexual lesbian". The asexual outcome for this type of arc in stories (particularly Eastern stories) is very rare (which isn't fair).

So it was hard to see which direction the ending would go, by I don't think the author did anything wrong here. Not going ridiculously out of the way to signal this outcome is breaking trends within their genre, but they were trends that deserved to get broken. So even if this wasn't the outcome I selfishly wished for, I can be happy that a group that is often forgotten is not forgotten this time.

last edited at Dec 11, 2022 4:20AM

joined Jan 3, 2020

I think this ending is good. I don't even really think it's that abrupt, honestly.

I am personally into reading these stories for Yuri romance. However, I found a lot of parts of the story (self-loathing, having to wear a mask, having to disappoint parents, having a fragile friendship on the verge of being more) very relatable despite not being ace.

If the story was a lot shallower, I don't think I would have been as charitable about the ending, but that wasn't the case.

Honestly, if you just ignore the speech bubbles for the last few pages then you already have an ending that beats several other Yuri romances (because some end after first kiss and a couple end even before that).

joined Jan 3, 2020

Yeah, this chapter changed my perspective on "Mom"'s motivations too. Before this, I thought based on her fiancee suggestion that her goal was to try to make Nadeshiko more human by having her experience love.

But here, she is suggesting that human morality is wrong, and that Nadeshiko should push back against it. I mean, if Akane wanted purely a sex partner, that would be fine. However, Akane seems to want more than that. In fact, Akane is usually against having sex and wants to hang out (though the manga plays this off as "not being honest with herself" - dubious consent is popular). Apparently, "Mom" suggested the fiancee thing as a way for Nadeshiko to justify them living together (and make Akane and others feel like sex is part of their relationship). Maybe my 'human morality' is in the way here, but that's significantly less wholesome than I had hoped.

joined Jan 3, 2020

So why is she pretending to be engaged? I figure the normal strat for that is to avoid having people hit on you. Was coworker the kinda person who wouldn't take no for an answer?

It can also be used to just escape the constant stream of "Why are you still single?" "Do you want me to introduce you to this person I know?" and similar questions.

Less common though.

joined Jan 3, 2020

The credits page was incredible; I don't know if I've laughed that hard in a while.

Simca
Inko-sensei discussion 13 Nov 17:53
joined Jan 3, 2020

the sex arc in Tadokoro killed the series so hard that Tatsubon concluded it's best to start from scratch

I thought that arc was fine, but the author didn't really build any plotlines extending past it.

To be fair though, that's one of the many ways to end a romance story. Some end at a confession (the worst!), some end at a kiss, and some end at high school graduation. I'm always an advocate of "the more, the better" but ending on sex is at least better than most of the alternatives.

Also, just a guess, but knowing rich people tropes in Japanese stories, I wonder if Sakurako had to go study overseas or something.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

Does anyone know NSFW titles about girls who have been secretly horny for each other finally having sex?

Bad Thinking Diary has this premise and is ridiculously popular right now (on some aggregators, it has become the most popular Yuri title by like a factor of 5). Fan translations are on MangaDex, and the official translation is available through Lezhin Comics.

https://mangadex.org/title/3ed82c63-c018-4f6a-a5ff-d5a71a08d5dc/bad-thinking-diary
https://www.lezhinus.com/en/comic/bad_thinking_diary

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

I was really surprised by the trope break at the end of the episode. When Ritsu's friend pushed her at Makoto and she blushed, I expected Kyouko to get ridiculously jealous or depressed.

Instead, she goes back home and blames herself for stalking her GF, resolving to wait and do things properly. Honestly I think that's one of the most shocking developments I've seen in a romance story like this.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Man I really wonder when and how this manga is gonna end, because in chapter 29 they are adding three new girls, and I think that there is a lot of characters in the story right now, that maybe the author doesn't give enough time to give a proper conclusion to all of them.

Seeing as many girls seem to have gone MIA after the author got bored and went for a new plotline, I guess we just have to accept that this manga is an episodic serial made of loosely connected parts. :/

The author talks about their philosophy for this series in the Volume 1 extras. They intend it to be loosely connecting chains of lovers culminating finally in one couple who are fully devoted to only each other.

joined Jan 3, 2020

This latest chapter gives us some more insight on Tsubame. Earlier in the story, we saw her with some pills and I assumed maybe a psychological issue she was treating due to her obsessive nature, but it seems like it is some kind of physical (and potentially terminal? that is maybe what she's hinting at) condition. Best case scenario it is just something that will stop her from being able to dance and not actually terminal.

Also, she has the 'rich yet still shitty jet-setting parents' trope, which explains how she seems to just do whatever she wants with no oversight.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Maybe I'm weird but I really enjoyed this. I did spoil the ending for myself ahead of time so I knew the pairings in the end, maybe that's why.

I'm usually a Yuri person, and this is the first het romance manga I've ever enjoyed.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

The internal monologues try to be profound, but for me at least, it just isn't hitting that stride.

Oh well, the art is fantastic and the plot is good.

Simca
Angel Ranch discussion 01 Nov 01:13
joined Jan 3, 2020

this will involve futanari, won't it?

I mean, that seems to be the implication, since it says Class A is Sperm Donors and at least two of the Class A folks we've seen so far look very feminine.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Yeah, an anime would have potential here. I think it'd be even better as a 60 or 90 minute OVA though, actually. There isn't -that- much plot, and the cast is pretty small, so it works in that format.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Cool idea and a nice metaphor.

Only really works for ostracism though - bullies would not be deterred.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I usually don't like Yuri comedy very much, but this story makes me laugh so hard. It's just fantastic for that aspect.

last edited at Oct 19, 2022 5:00PM