Forum › Posts by sirflimflam

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I don't really get why people are going nuts over the mangadex comments. I went over there expecting some juicy vitriol and left disappointed in the pretty common arguments being made. Do you guys really think this site is somehow better regarding comments? Any series here with a straight character integrated into the drama is pretty much a de facto nuclear wasteland in the comments. Each side appears to have their own pain points.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Aya is a lost cause in more ways than one. It's kind of sad when people let themselves be used and victimized. I pray to the yuri gods that Aya and Sei don't end up together. And for that matter, I hope Haruki can nope herself far away from that mess too before she gets involved anymore and gets corrupted by that nightmare any more than she already has been.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Yea no, author-san hand over the better ending please >_> This left me feeling a bit unsatisfied and it feels so unfinished. An okay read ig the beginning was great but I can barely say the middle and ending was as good.

Maybe that's the authors ABSOLUTE GENIUS at play here. Maybe we're SUPPOSED to feel as unsatisfied as Umi, knowing she lives next to the person she loves romantically but that person will always look at her like a little sister.

No? No.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Holy crap that ending was cleaved clean off.

On a different note, how much do you hate your brother to live right next to him with his ex wife as your lover?

To be blunt, they shouldn't have gotten together as things stood, and handwaving all the issues (the massive chasm of them, like, you know, Kouru pretty heavily implying the familial connection to her instead of romantic all the way until the end) as "well they worked it out offscreen" is just disappointing. There is literally nothing satisfying about this ending.

It's really hard for me to assume this is an "open" ending. Yes, they don't outright state they're together. Maybe they're really just being roommates, while Umi holds onto a love that will never happen? I don't buy it. The publication for this manga pretty much dictates they're together.

last edited at Oct 19, 2020 3:51PM

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I had to go back to the previous chapter to have any hope of understanding this one, and...nope, didn't help. Why the hell would she stare at this girl in the middle of the night waking her up, then ask this random girl for "help" her regarding her literal rape, and why would this random girl seriously be cool with her to the point she would tell her to simulate rape her. Was "saving her" from her step father really that high up on there?

And she hates her friend/women but is apparently still seeing her, to the point her friend just casually brings up stepping in a hotel? Are they still banging? The literal hell?

I just...don't even. This seems like the flimsiest excuse to make two people have sex to date in this series.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Damn, that custom tree ring flex at the end there, that was slick. You go, tree girl.

sirflimflam
The Real Me discussion 14 Sep 06:59
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Damn. I don't read many Touhou stories because I've never really been big on the franchise (I do like the setting and the characters but being what it is, nothing is ever consistent), but occasionally I stumble into something interesting.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I really hope when this ends she gets some real help. Her mom meddles in ways that hinder her more than help, her father looks the other way, clearly caring about her but unable to actually do anything for her, and her sister time after time "inadvertently" finding ways to either humiliate her or make her feel genuinely uncomfortable. (I'm using the largest of possible air quotes here, I'm genuinely starting to think she enjoys messing with Neeko)

I have no doubt in my mind that her family loves her, I just wish they'd realize maybe she needs some actual help, with people trained to deal with these things. I get mental health issues is like a huge taboo in Japan, but it's really hard to read. Each time I read a new chapter I have this vain hope that it's going to end with her in a place better than she was before, and it always ends up worse or on the same line.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Good god that was a ride.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I don't doubt there are well adjusted prostitutes, but I think they are the minority among the millions of exploited others.

Millions are exploited because prostitution isn't legalized in many countries, simple as that. And it isn't legal because people tend to stigmatize prostitutionーand sex, especially when women take the initiative, is still taboo in our society.

Legalizing prostitution doesn't make them any less exploited, especially those stuck in sex trafficking. It just makes the market blow up. You don't need to look much further than parts of the world where prostitution is all but legal. You wind up with children openly soliciting their services for pennies on the dollar. Even if prostitution was legalized, checks and balances in place to keep them safe and healthy and paying their taxes, there would always be a black market for it offering the service that much cheaper at a cost that undercuts the "legit" business, at the expense of the workers themselves, of course.

I don't even necessarily think it shouldn't be legalized, but I have no disillusion that it's going to somehow create a safer world for workers. Maybe on the brightest surface we're able to easily scrutinize. But those on the lower rungs are always going to be exploited. Mary Joe who wants to get into the world of prostitution like she wanted to be a topless dancer might be fine in a decriminalized market, but those forced to be a prostitute behind closed doors won't see any of that safety.

last edited at Sep 3, 2020 7:45AM

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Strikes me as a much more cliché version of Prunus Girl. While I still regularly reread the latter, think once is enough for me on this one.

Fuuuck now I gotta read Prunus Girl again. I actually made it a year since my last reading...

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

generically modified

This typo is pretty accurate tbh o3o

Gah, auto-correct gets me again!

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Christ, when is it my turn, Science? When do I get a generically modified cat-human hybrid that melts in my lap and wants to frisk me?

Come on, everyone's waiting!

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Well, at least her zombie outfit is going to be super realistic!

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I love this one. Reinforcing the predatory nature of it by showing it from an outsider's eyes, but still showing the flirty, happy way they see themselves.

Exactly this. I've been known to enjoy her works, but when you get down to it this is so messed up.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Jesus, I want more of this one. I really wanted to see her confront the sister.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I need this to be teacherxstudent. Incest is big no for me because that girl is a yandere.

It being Teacher x Student is just as bad in this context, if not worse. You're simply replacing the incest with a teacher abusing the shaky mental state of a child to have her way with her, while literally getting off on the wrongness of it all.

I don't understand just what it is Komachi wants, if she's so desperate to stay by Akos side forever, whatever she's trying to achieve currently will probably just drive Ako away and maybe even start to despise her, like ??? Also I have a bad feeling with the sensei at the end...hopefully nothing bad happens in there.

Komachi doesn't realize yet that she and her desire to essentially be the same person is literally what is pushing away her sister. So she's doubling down which is only going to make it worse, sadly.

I think we all know what the author is trying to imply about this visit, but I too hope it doesn't go that far. Actually, I wouldn't mind if the teacher gets struck by lightning at some point during the next chapter.

For real though, let Ako go live her own life, let Komachi and Yuki get closer together, and let the teacher get fired and stabbed in an alley somewhere. That's my hope for the ending.

last edited at Jul 28, 2020 1:28AM

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Also i understand what Yuki mean but in the end, that's still something between the twins.Their relationship problem is something the twins should overcome with one another, as rude as it sound and as much as Yuki want to be for them, she still had nothing to do in their problem right now.

That’s really just kid logic though. Neither of them are going to resolve their problems on their own. They’re bother literally imploding under the weight of their own issues right now and both of them are walking dangerous paths. They NEED outside influences to help steer them away from it.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Good job Little sis.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

I'll never understand all this drama with graduating that always happens in anime/manga
Like... why are they acting like they will never see each other again? Just fucking add your friends on facebook and hang out from time to time lol

Because that's not the same thing at all. It's definitely not the same as school times where you're almost always in some level of contact with each other which reaffirms that connection constantly. You need to make specific plans to see each other, which conflicts with schedules, and if you're going out of your way to get together, just hanging out and doing nothing is almost never a thing. Your interests start to diverge from one another and suddenly you are speaking apples and oranges to each other. One week turns into a month, and can turn into a year of putting off getting together. Losing a thing that gets you together definitely changes things a lot.

People move on, whether they necessarily want to or not. Hell, my little sister moved just 40 miles away when she turned 18, and we used to be practically attached at the hip growing up, but I see her maybe once a month in person. We text a lot and talk to each other on the phone so it's not the biggest loss, but it's still a bit sad. Of all the friends I had in my school years, I've managed to stay in close contact with only one of them, and that's just because we ended up as roommates for a long, long time. Granted school for me was like 17 years ago, but it only took about 3-4 years to lose touch with all of them. They all had their own lives going in wildly different directions, and none of them even live in the same state anymore. The things we enjoyed that often brought us together started to become less and less important in our lives which was another dividing force. I made new friends in my adulthood and the rest was history.

My sister's friendships are much of the same. She is still in light contact with a few highschool friends, having graduated 7 or so years ago. I suspect the more connected nature of modern times played a bigger role in keeping those connections a little longer, but she definitely doesn't feel even remotely as close to them as she once did.

So yeah, it's a very real thing that happens. Long distance relationships suffer for these same reasons.

I don't think characters that bring this up seriously expect the person to forget them the day after they graduate, but rather want them to both feel the same level of friendship in the future as they do now.

last edited at Jul 8, 2020 9:43PM

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Oh boy, now that she knows, I hope she doesn't do something stupid.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Started reading this on a whim, so glad I did.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Remember when there used to be these character, what were they called... oh yeah, Tae and Jimiko? Haha.

...not that I'm complaining about this group of girls.

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

The author had absolutely no idea where she wanted to go with this. Is this what quick axing saves us from, and we just didn't know?

sirflimflam
Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

It was a bit predictable and cliche in a "Pair the Spares" kind of way for Iroha and Izumi to (eventually?) get together, but honestly I found it sweet so I don't mind at all. I'm looking forward to where this goes.

It is a bit funny that both of them are more "aware" of their feelings than the actual main couple (that Izumi knows she's a lesbian and that Iroha knows she's in love with Izumi).

Frankly I like when stories do it. More often than not it seems stories are in some kind of romance exclusion zone where only the main protagonist and heroine are allowed to form a pairing and everyone else is just left hanging even if they have unresolved attachments or what have you. I'd rather see a failed love bloom somewhere else than have the character just vocally get over it and never speak of it again.