Forum › Posts by SillieHonka

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

that honestly really really works as an ending. would totally be fine on that note.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

i mean the list is like guitar hero core. props on uncle already starting the wedding planning!

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Everything is always better with more queer rep thrown in the mix tbh

(not even remotely true, what with bad representation, but it's the thought that matters)

That woulda been a great story though, transmasc who's not out at school. But this still works, and is very cute and good.

Eh. Stories about trans characters are definitely nice, and there need to be more of them, but it's also good to have stories about androgenous characters or just characters who prefer to dress more like the opposite sex for comfort and aesthetic reasons, without actually being trans.

What gets me about this is literal decades of this "not actually trans" androgynous or othered gender presentation has been present in manga. And it has been present while cozying up to / or sometimes blatantly for the purpose of, transphobia, to the point where you can't give them the benefit of the doubt that they are like, positively portraying diverse gender expression lol. I would actually need to see like markedly more trans narratives to begin with, just in like a niche little space for one, and then when like the few canonically trans characters in major shounen / mainstream anime do show up , their fanbases treat them as such, secondly. Otherwise, its still the status quo of trans people not actually existing (I'm still a man ad nauseam), where "comfort and aesthetic reasons" sounds like a permutation of "why cant you just be a feminine man" when it more clearly suggests an intersection of expression AND identity (given "comfort" in particular).

That's to say nothing to worry about here, but yeah, hard butch yuri is hard to come by regardless so happy to maybe see some of that at play here. apologies for autism paragraphing.

There are definitely ... problems with how trans characters are represented, both in the yuri niche and broader media, and there definitely needs to be more representation, but I don't think it's fair to then say the depiction of butch or androgynous women is taking away from trans representation. This is doubly true in Japan, where the Takarazuka Revue has been a thing since 1914 ... is what I want to say, but a quick look at their history and ... yeah.

oh no i never meant to imply its taken away just that here we have that kind of representation instead which is nice in itself.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Everything is always better with more queer rep thrown in the mix tbh

(not even remotely true, what with bad representation, but it's the thought that matters)

That woulda been a great story though, transmasc who's not out at school. But this still works, and is very cute and good.

Eh. Stories about trans characters are definitely nice, and there need to be more of them, but it's also good to have stories about androgenous characters or just characters who prefer to dress more like the opposite sex for comfort and aesthetic reasons, without actually being trans.

What gets me about this is literal decades of this "not actually trans" androgynous or othered gender presentation has been present in manga. And it has been present while cozying up to / or sometimes blatantly for the purpose of, transphobia, to the point where you can't give them the benefit of the doubt that they are like, positively portraying diverse gender expression lol. I would actually need to see like markedly more trans narratives to begin with, just in like a niche little space for one, and then when like the few canonically trans characters in major shounen / mainstream anime do show up , their fanbases treat them as such, secondly. Otherwise, its still the status quo of trans people not actually existing (I'm still a man ad nauseam), where "comfort and aesthetic reasons" sounds like a permutation of "why cant you just be a feminine man" when it more clearly suggests an intersection of expression AND identity (given "comfort" in particular).

That's to say nothing to worry about here, but yeah, hard butch yuri is hard to come by regardless so happy to maybe see some of that at play here. apologies for autism paragraphing.

last edited at May 9, 2022 2:32AM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

would have been infinitely better had the person been either trans man or trans woman tbh

Your nick is right, you're very silly.

Don't diss lesbians.

what, why shouldnt het trans dudes get love :(

last edited at May 9, 2022 2:11AM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

would have been infinitely better had the person been either trans man or trans woman tbh

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

i know this is cope but really miyako is like, barely a landlord at all. Although it does seem weird that there's been a few landlord romances now. taking "screw landlords" literally. Don't get the impulse there. Wish the age gap was like pushed back so like, Miyako was 23-24ish? But then you couldn't do as much of those "I'm teaching you to adult." things I guess. Although, being in the idol grinder for longer would definitely entrenched her baggage in a more exciting (characterization-wise) way. Given her being 19, she what, spent 3-4 years in the biz? Which is really not a lot!

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 5:05AM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

i dont know about "no actual yuri, just her projections", Unless the whole "youre their cupid" deal is auditory fangirl hallucination but that seems to kinda indicate things might roll for her fantasies... idk

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

wanko shut the fuck up about getting attacked or whatever smdh

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

supportive japanese parents... really puts my american folks to shame lol,

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Trying not to sound condescending here, probably failing.

I just find it interesting that some people are completely disregarding the idea of character development, despite it being one of the most fundamental parts of story-telling.

It's just my impression, but people seem to be assuming that Claire and Rei are going to be the same at the end of the story as they were at the beginning. That because Claire is classist at the start of the story, and is not going to grow or change at all.

I can clearly see her starting to fumble around a change for the better... but its more so like she's from what we understand pretty anti-commoner within the bounds of the original game, and rei's presence has been softening that. Claire is the villainess! of a story that sets her against the low class hero. So whatever version most likely retained that opposition to the very end unless like a tropey, badly written "oh ill help you in the end" turn which i dont have any indication to believe is the case? As like its more riffing tropey isekai rather than riffing otome tropes. It's that version that rei initially fell in love with which i take umbrage with, and her affection has preceded any significant character growth. And not like in a "liking bad characters means your bad" type of way, but rather like if you like the classist/racist/etc villain romantically that is a step further, and when you don't have an immediate objection to that once they've become isekai'd into a real person... yeah? Like a real person is absolutely is capable of changing those views and deserves a second chance after the verbal abuse / bullying (which rei seems to indicate was a recurring part of the original game's iteration of her).

IDK. There could have been more care and concern done with this to where like, there's a disconnect between the game versions of these characters, who are dramatized and exaggerated, compared to now they are real sentient people and aren't so melodramatic. their attributes dullen, the princes aren't as perfect, selfless and hot for MC, the villainess isn't so villain-like or as trope-ishly himedere, just haughty and a product of her upbringing. They've KINDA toed this. but it would have been a way better story had this been seriously engaged. Had Rei been like oh shit, that classist shit is actually fucked up, and she has to rebuild and rekindle this idealized fictional character into a real person she can love.

last edited at Jan 28, 2022 1:32AM

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Yeah Claire sucks and is classist trash but so is rei for simping for her. Wasn't she suppose do be like vaguely a comrade in that she was poor irl too and hated work?

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 2:55PM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

a better premise given the title would be in the closet / egg trans girl being all like, "wait a minute, this feels like my yuri animes" so it doubles down on the "whoa this isnt supposed to happen" going on.

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

This is my 5th re read and I can solidly say asano minato is trans. (Hc but ok actually super relatable to me)

last edited at Jan 18, 2022 2:49AM

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

I just gonna say it to make it clear, i just don't like poly endings for love triangle.

That's fine. For me, an excellent writer can make just about anything convincing, but judging by the evidence here on Dynasty that's very hard to do well--such poly endings as there are tend usually to seem rushed or imposed on the story rather than occurring organically.

I don't quite get how these days every garden-variety love triangle seems to bring out a bunch of poly shippers, no matter how tenuous the narrative possibility might be (I'm not saying that about this one--I need to do a re-read to remember the overall flow of the relationships here).

tenuous? they literally visited a whole other poly throuple smh

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

sapphic bouldering gfs pog (my gf is into bouldering too, i want to do it too)

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Damn she lookin like me with my estrogen and Spiro on refill day

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

From the amount of trans setup put into Kita's storyline, I still don't know why some people still think she would be a crossdresser at this point

hold up; possible explanation, kid is transbian.

all hail SillieHonka, the prophecy is true

vindication has never felt more sweet. ty ty. Looking back i was actually, literally the first. I'm gonna buy me some chickens since im so good at finding eggs. That very first encounter where she did see them struck me as a bit "envious" (not in a bad way but like a wistful one) which set me on that trail, and now that we finally see that it was like that, dang.

last edited at Oct 22, 2021 11:02AM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

this is where i watched my idol career start parappa

SillieHonka
Liberta discussion 01 Oct 03:26
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

ah my beloved protagonist corruption arc continues

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

You wanna know who ELSE doesn’t know which one is love?

thank u, u hesbian icon

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Tamamusi polyamory???? sign me the FUCK up. minus the uh roommate. prof is toeing it.

last edited at Sep 21, 2021 2:21PM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

yeah some real sticks in the mud, trying to write this off as "oh why not just let this be a guy be into stereotypical feminine things" is terf-y.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

man she is jealous of her sister

SillieHonka
Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Tadokoro's trick...

seriously why did this devolve into sakura trick lol