Forum › Posts by Kollie79

joined Jun 21, 2021

I hope this ends tactfully soon. A big mistake that authors can make is dragging on stories longer then the idea lasts, which can make the story end sour. A great example of this NOT happening is the manga Lilies, Voices, Wear Wind, which ended quickly and beautifully. I'm worried of this story growing stale, so I hope it ends well as soon as the author is finished.

We’ve been way past the idea, and it’s been arguably way better since it settled down into basic slice of life and exploring a first relationship. I do get your point in something ending sooner than later for the sake of overall quality, but there’s frankly an endless amount of story to be told about two young people just exploring life

joined Jun 21, 2021

That color intro with Ayaka talking about school days and looking at an album feels like the future... I think this might actually finally be the final volume.

I cannot freaking believe we got 6 volumes of this. This feels like it should have ended ages ago, but we were blessed with even more, and it's all been great. God bless this manga.

It’s absolutely the future given it was an album and her hair is noticeably shorter…I didn’t think it meant this would be the final volume though and now I’m sad if true….all good things have to come to an end though

joined Jun 21, 2021

It always puzzles me. The two of them would hold hands together, especially in front of their friends. (Thus the friends think that they are showing off). Sora still has the power over Ayaka, so technically she can issue a command to Ayaka once a day. the one thing i find it odd is that they do not live together. Sora's home is emptied, i am sure she can let her partner stays. They do not have to do it every day, a couple of nights would be fine, and of course Ayaka has to phone her family that she will stay there for a couple of nights. I am sure Ayaka's family all know about Sora by now. The two MC can make a step forward by having a schedule. So for example, Ayaka will stay with Sora on a Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. So Ayaka's family will know which day she will stay over at Sora.

BTW, is it normal to request changing classes after you have been assigned in Japan? I'm sure if they want to do the switch, Ayaka can have that creepy sensei to pull the strings.

Pretty sure we’ve seen like 3 different times that Ayaka has stayed the night, so it’s something they are definitely doing pretty frequently. Her family almost assuredly doesn’t know they are dating(that would probably be something worth showing) so they probably don’t wanna make it obvious, or they just don’t wanna do it on school nights, idk, there’s not much reason her parents would be okay with her spending school nights over someone’s house, especially if they know they are dating.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Yoooo not gonna lie that’s a baller move not putting our two leads be in the same class again…I’m genuinely a little shook by that. For a moment I thought we were skipping to graduation after the color pages with how Ayaka was talking lol.

The art seemed really crisp this chapter though, like everything just looked so sharp, in a good way

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

I’ll take a dozen more to go please and thank you

joined Jun 21, 2021

Bless you scanlator and all your hard work, truly nothing but my respect, you have no idea how giddy I was to see chapter 6 pop up on the feed

last edited at May 23, 2022 4:48AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

As I said...

Yeah, very similar to the music industry, then. It's a shame, really. Still, since we don't know know the whole truth, I'd like to remain at least somewhat optimistic.

Would buying domestic releases be required to buy in Japan, or is ordering through Amazon.jp or whatever enough?

Also sorry for pestering and the off-topic nonsense.

You can buy digital copies from Amazon.JP, but they aren’t going to ship a physical copy oversea as far as I’m aware, not sure how cards work as well, mine doesn’t work, so I’ve had to buy Japanese Amazon gift cards, but my PayPal works directly on other sites

Beyond that it’s always nice to check the creators Twitter and see if they have a direct way to show them a little support, I give a few of them a couple bucks each month that way along with picking up English releases

Apocryphal posted:

So how does one support an author, then?

As I said. I'm pretty sure they do get share of profit from domestic release, as in, buying mango in Japan. About not getting money from localization, I mostly heard that's how anime industry works and why "subscribing to Crunchyroll to support animators etc." is a load of bull. Profit from subscriptions goes first and foremost to cover costs of licenses, buying new ones and paying w/e they own to publisher they bought copyrights from, hence why OG author doesn't really see any money from it. It's not a stretch to imagine it works similarly in manga industry.

https://twitter.com/jeffinitelyjeff/status/1328221487405273088?s=21&t=tZowo9kQxJA06W3iBhrTTw

I mean directly from a former employee kinda begs to differ, but reading ever bring with a grain of salt.

and I can’t find anything concrete saying buying an English release doesn’t help a author at all, because there’s ultimately a lot of different ways these things can go down. They might seem pennies per purchase after everyone else gets a cut, or they might see some money upfront during the initial licensing agreement.

My intent wasn’t to imply buying the English release was going to massively help an author finically because it’s definitely is the least effective way, but it is still going to do something more than if a given individual just continues to only pirate something

last edited at May 22, 2022 6:08AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

Sure, depending on the severity and amount of the mistakes, you can overlook it, but the issue remains, that unlike scanlations, you're paying for something that contains mistakes. When money is involved, "people makes mistakes" stops being a valid excuse, especially considering physical releases that unlike when scanlation group makes a mistake, can't be fixed and you're stuck with it. Like when you pay somebody to fix your pipes, if then you find out it leaks in places, is your first reaction "it's fine, people makes mistakes" or calling them to come back and fix it and compensate your potential loses? Since it's official translation, let's treat them as such and expect the proper amount of professionalism, because if we won't let them know something is subpar, they have no reason to improve their service.

I never once said to not acknowldge when mistakes are made, I obviously advocate for calling out these companies so they improve. That doesnt change my point, nor does a crappy compairsion of buying a manga and the pipes in your house being worked on...

Depending on publisher, author sees very little profit, especially from money from localizated versions. Money from official translation first covers costs of itself and next projects, only then it goes back to original publisher and if then something is left, it goes to the author (don't quote me on that).

very litte profit > zero profit from pirating. like I get that and there are more direct ways to support an author, but most people dont want to fill their bookshelves with stuff they cant actually read

Except for copyright holder that often demands removal of scanlations and issues DMCA claims.

Which doesnt seem to be something that ends up mattering all that often, at least not my from admittedly anecodatl evidence. if shonen jump cant stop their big manga from being fan translated weekly, theres not much any other company can actually do long term. the last time this happened that I saw was the group doing rent a girlfriend got shut down, and like a week later another group was already working on it again.

Lol. It happens all the time. Half of series gets dropped when official translation is available and very often most of what you can find online are rips from official releases.

I'll take your word on it, but once again its just not something I see happen often, and I definitly follow more manga than the average person. almost every series I currently follow still gets uploaded by fans before official transations. I've only seen a series dropped directly because the group wanted people to support the offical release twice, and both times was from the same group.

maybe it happens to very niche series more often that never catch my eye, but all I can say is its never been something i've seen affect series I follow very often, I'd be curious to hear from other people on how often series they like get dropped by teams because an offical release was announced.

joined Jun 21, 2021

And it's not just small mistakes nor are they uncommon

I feel like in the massive library of stuff seven seas publishes, the added up mistakes would be the fairly uncommon minority. Like im all for calling out the company when its fucks up, but lets not act like theres an error on ever other page they put out. This sounds like the people that endlessly complain about some funimation line changes online, and they always just bring up the same 3-5 examples. Like yes it happens and lets call out the company, but lets not act like an entire script or book is spoiled because of one mistake.

no defending when they've remove paragrahs though, thats incredibly boneheaded stuff

And the thing is, if the scanlator stops because of licensing, you'll not see the rest of the story until years later because they take months to release each volume.

And people not having the means to import manga from the U.S. or to buy them are screwed.

I mean, that sucks? Manga is a product, people arent entilted to read them, and its important to support the author of things in some form instead of just pirating everything, but either way nobody said scanlators should all stop translating something once it gets picked up in the west, and I dont even think it happens all that often, thats completely unrelated to the quality or existence of yen press/seven seas. Pirating options almost always exist in some form, you're more likely to find a series simply not being translated because of lack of intrest, not because its got an offical english release

I actually have a lot of respect for scanlators that drop a series once it gets an offical western release, it does sucks having to wait for the english release to catch up, but I respect them wanting to encouring helping the creator in some way. Trust me I know, gunbured x sister got dropped and im waiting for the english release to catch up now. plus it means they can direct thier attention to other series that havent seen a translation yet.

I wish more manga was set on like a monthly sub service though, viz costs 2 bucks a month and i get all my weekly new chapters of shonen right after the japanese release, it would be cool if other western publishers took this approach instead of making us wait for them to translate entire volumes

if seven seas did that it would make them money, shorten the gap between catching up to the series in japan, it would let them catch any mistakes before volume releases, and dedicated fans will still buy physical volumes for thier collections im sure

last edited at May 19, 2022 7:35AM

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

Looks like volume 9 is up for pre order in English, just figured I’d mention it for anyone supporting the English release like me

joined Jun 21, 2021

I know I suggested it the last time they sent out a survey, but I never thought they’d actually license it. Cool.

That damn seven seas survey, I’ve been suggesting lonely girl for like the last year….

I keep hearing ppl say this, why is Seven Seas so disliked?

Pretty much the same reason everyone complains about a company doing an official localization of something, they all make little/dumb mistakes.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Well if it’s selling well hopefully it gets picked up for an English release

joined Jun 21, 2021

kuzushiro really knows how to draw those insane faces.

Saki legit looks like a villain sometimes lol

joined Jun 21, 2021

Saki is so desperate to hide the gay, unfortunately for her she’s doing a horrible job lol, Poor girl almost collapsed because she thought the sisters gaydar was going off.

It’s gonna be something when we officially get to this though, this girl is deep in the denial/guilt phase of who she is

Man this manga needs to get licensed in English

If I had a nickel for every time I said that I could use said nickels to buy all the series I want to have official English release

last edited at May 8, 2022 3:42PM

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

Just caught up. I think the only thing this has going for it is how cute it is. It feels really underwritten. Focusing on Nagisa only for the first 8 to 10 chapters means we've missed finding out why Mashiro falls for her. Until the previous chapter I thought she knew that Nagisa was the one that saved her since she seemed to be crushing on her from day one, but apparently that's totally unrelated? There's basically no story here.

Which doesn't mean I'll stop reading it, it's still really cute.

I’m not sure how it’s not pretty obvious why Mashiro falls for Nagisa, we really don’t need to hear from Mahshrio why

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

The premise doesn’t interest me a whole lot, but I really like the artwork so ima stick around

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

This series once again proving why it’s my favorite ongoing Yuri by completely sidestepping stupid drama and giving us the wholesome. Nagisa is an absolute chad for running after her like we all thought she should.

And not only does the series seem to be continuing, but it’s not going on a month break. So we’ve got at the very least a full volume worth of them actually dating(hopefully more)

Praying this gets an English release eventually

joined Jun 21, 2021

The scanlators are doing what they can. They have a life too and sometimes they have better things to do, since they're doing this for free.

People complaining about the lack of updates are just annoying them.

And people posting spoilers are even more annoying because it disincentivize the scanlators to do it.

You can read Japanese, great for you. Just don't try to ruin it for other people, like "I don't like how it goes, so you should all drop this" or "This is so great, I liked the kiss in the chapter that wasn't translated yet. You'll like it".

Who cares? Just comment on what everyone can read and everyone will be happy.

I don’t think there’s any problem with people posting spoilers as long as they use the proper tags. It’s been a very long time since we’ve had an English update, and if no scanlator team has interest/time/whatever to put into this series some of us who can’t read Japanese would still like some info on how it’s going

Idk how spoilers disincentives scanlators, because it really shouldn’t. Anyone who comes here and sees people are posting spoilers will also see people are still coming here and checking in for any potential updates. Anyone who’s ever read a spoiler knows those aren’t enough, we want to also see how said spoilers play out in the chapter with full context and visuals

joined Jun 21, 2021

I also bought chapter 9. All I can say: I want chapter 10 now cause the way chap9 ended xD but if there's no delay, it will be updated until may 18

I doubt it's going to be on a break next month, if chasing Spica is going to be the next month's issue then sure kyokana will be on break but since next month chasing Spica will have volume 1 release I don't think that's going to happen.

Chasing spica is another series I want to see translated

No insult to the hard working fan translators, but man do I feel like some of them back the most boring Yuri, it feels like all the ones I have an interest in never get translated or have a problem lol

joined Jun 21, 2021

I just wish I could find the raws lol

joined Jun 21, 2021

What’s the actual status on this series? I never see the creator tweet about it like they do the other series they work on, did this one wrap up?

I cant see anything for it beyond 3 volumes, but it seems like it has enough chapters for at least 4? I’m confused lol

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

Fun series, sad to see it go, and a mostly happy ending.

But I really hate that senpai seems to not remember the past at all, and that nana doesn’t remember the gap since she returned. Like yeah it’s happy you get to be with the person you love now, but you’re also missing 10 years of being with her…my least favorite time travel trope -.-

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

haven't they kissed and held hands multiple times already? like, on screen?

response to the other commenters aside, this was a very nice chapter.

for me its just more how rarely we get to see it in the series, its always a treat to see

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

Yo this chapter was giving me some strange vibes from page one, but an actual on screen kiss for our girls? I would’ve put more money on them meeting an alien this chapter lol.

last edited at Apr 3, 2022 6:24AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

sobbing bcs it's almost april with no translation and google translate is butchering the translation of the raw(for me),
I really don't understand what's going on

At least you have the raws