Forum › Posts by Looking East

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

extorting physical services for rent

Cool erotica trope.

cheese in gyoza

I'm out of here!

But seriously, yeah, whew that chapter 8!

As for earlier discussion, why is "pay rent money, or I evict you" a legitimate business transaction, but "have sex or pay money, or I evict you" extortion?

Biology. Sex acts release neurochemicals that stimulate emotional dependency and build intimacy. As such, human society, in general, tends to afford greater weight to sexual activity than other behaviors, and so forcing someone to engage in them without honest consent is traumatic, and therefore immoral.

It's not the same for everyone, because people are different, but in general, this is why sex crimes are more traumatic than non-sex crimes, and why casual sex is so hard of a concept for a lot of people.

Simply offering an alternate payment form really isn't proper extortion. Depending on where you are it could probably fall afoul of prostitution laws but that's a different can of worms. Traditional extortion would be more along the lines of "pay me your rent and if you know what's good for you give me some nooky on the side or we will find something to evict you for."

For something to be blackmail or extortion there must be a threat made. Simply offering somebody an alternative option to save them from becoming homeless due to their own fault and failure to pay rent doesn't meet that requirement. The Land Lady made no threat.

As for people describing this as rape. Again that's a completely false statement and a misuse of the word. For rape to occur the sexual act must not be consensual. Prostitution and rape are not synonyms.

PEople! CALM DOWN! this is fictional yuri.

Yeah, it's just a cute fictional little yuri story which is exactly why it drives me nuts when I see people screeching about rape and extortion particularly when neither are actually even in the story to begin with.

joined Jul 19, 2018

extorting physical services for rent

Cool erotica trope.

cheese in gyoza

I'm out of here!

But seriously, yeah, whew that chapter 8!

As for earlier discussion, why is "pay rent money, or I evict you" a legitimate business transaction, but "have sex or pay money, or I evict you" extortion?

Biology. Sex acts release neurochemicals that stimulate emotional dependency and build intimacy. As such, human society, in general, tends to afford greater weight to sexual activity than other behaviors, and so forcing someone to engage in them without honest consent is traumatic, and therefore immoral.

It's not the same for everyone, because people are different, but in general, this is why sex crimes are more traumatic than non-sex crimes, and why casual sex is so hard of a concept for a lot of people.

Simply offering an alternate payment form really isn't proper extortion. Depending on where you are it could probably fall afoul of prostitution laws but that's a different can of worms. Traditional extortion would be more along the lines of "pay me your rent and if you know what's good for you give me some nooky on the side or we will find something to evict you for."

For something to be blackmail or extortion there must be a threat made. Simply offering somebody an alternative option to save them from becoming homeless due to their own fault and failure to pay rent doesn't meet that requirement. The Land Lady made no threat.

As for people describing this as rape. Again that's a completely false statement and a misuse of the word. For rape to occur the sexual act must not be consensual. Prostitution and rape are not synonyms.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 4:00PM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

^ Yeah, doesn't the term bug cover arachnidae (that is spiders, ticks and scorpions), centipedes and insects

Really? well, I'm no native speaker in english. Just some random biologist passing by. That might explain my reaction. But okay, I understand the issue.

Yeah, there are a few different meanings to the word "bug" in English. It is used commonly and informally as a term for any kind of small creepy crawly arthropod type critter, but its second more formal definition is the one you are thinking of which is a term rooted in biology which denotes a specific subset of insects with sucking mouth parts.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Or could it be that Kon is the monster, sort of. Don't the protagonist getting rejected by peoples because of a monster linked to them remind you of someone ? Yeah, it's almost like Naruto with Kyuubey being scelled in him. Maybe it's the same with Kon, the monster has been scelled in her. That explain why they got saved in the first chapter, why peoples don't seem to like Kon. Her little bro also said she see a Kaijuu back then. Also that could explain why bully girl got yeeted.

The foreshadowing and metaphors are a bit nebulous but I got the same sort of feel from it, that the "monster" represents something that is inside her. She is either the monster or the monster is the part of who she is that is feared and ostracized by others.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I’m wearing my shipping goggles but I’m not seeing the subtext. :-/ But it’s basically less murderous Kill Me Baby on vacation, so I’ll be following it anyways.

The fact the MC drools and sprays blood everywhere the moment she sees any other pretty girl is kind of a give away.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I've been on the side of defending tags that offended other people, so I'm not going to comment on the content.

But more that it's weird when multiple of these gets uploaded in a short amount of time.

I'm on team freedom of speech when it comes to content, but with the caveat that there needs to be adequate warnings on the tin. I think we could really use some next level graphic content tags for stuff like this. I mean we put a BDSM tag on cute fluff like "Virgins' Empire" which is light years apart from the genital mutilation and sexual torture of small children we saw in this manga under the same tag. I really do think guro or graphic genital mutilation tags would be much more effective at painting a more accurate picture of what people are in for since BDSM and even hardcore really don't cut it.

last edited at Apr 7, 2020 4:48AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

We seriously need some next level warning tags for shit like this. Something along the lines of guro or if that doesn't quite fit then graphic mutilation. This along with a couple of other recent uploads were beyond the sort of thing you would expect under tags like BDSM. Seriously, I think I need eye bleach and all the stores are sold out due to the damn corona virus.

joined Jul 19, 2018

Right, BV, just sussing out where things in a story might go is fun, but then, you've never been a "here's where this is going, which I disapprove of and I am totally disgusted with the author for the imaginary story I just created out of whole cloth" predictive lamenter.

^ Very succinct, nothing drives me more nuts than some asshat writing a multi page rant about the direction the as yet unwritten story will take. It's even more fun when you point out how silly what they've done is and they react by just doubling down on their rant about a bunch of story content that doesn't even exist outside of their own fevered imagination.

last edited at Apr 5, 2020 7:48AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

There are many things in the world that disturb me purely for existing. Expecting nothing in the world to disturb you, to the point you want to eliminate anything that does, is a toxic though process. Live and let live is the best life advice I've ever heard.

Normally I'd whole heartedly agree with you. However I feel there are lines that can't be crossed, without expecting outrage. For example a story that promotes violence, against a particular race or group is understandingly going to make people mad. I would not want to live in a world where it didn't. A story glorifying pedophilia fits that bill. After all it's promoting a type of violence against children. If you think about it the light hearted nature of this particular story makes it even worse, because it makes pedophilia look harmless when it's anything but.

Edit: I guess the bottom line is any story that promotes hatred, bigotry, and/or violence is fair game for angry criticism, in my book.

You are confusing and misusing your terms. Pedophilia is not the same thing as child rape. Pedophilia is simply the attraction to prepubescent children which although certainly a bit creepy and odd is completely victim-less and thus is not immoral. Child rape or any other form of sexual abuse or harassment is a totally different story and is extremely immoral due to the harm it causes the children. A good way to think about this is how being a heterosexual is not the same thing as being rapist. Being heterosexual is not in and of itself immoral, but rape certainly is.

Looking East
Oddman 11 discussion 04 Mar 23:55
joined Jul 19, 2018

A new queen rises.

Looking East
Yuri Moyou discussion 04 Mar 21:47
joined Jul 19, 2018

I get the feeling the ax fell on the mangaka with like one issue worth of warning. One panel per couple to create a finale. Good luck with that.

This is why any self respecting publisher should always give a minimum of 4 chapters of warning that a series is going to be axed. I mean it just seems like common sense for anything that is going to be syndicated in tankabon and it's just common courtesy for your readers and creators otherwise.

last edited at Mar 4, 2020 9:53PM

joined Jul 19, 2018

Lilliwyt posted:

Althought i don't understand the point of bringing Femme X Femme in that since well that's two womens that look like womens (i'm sorry i don't know how to put it in another way)

(ex. "So which one of you is the man in the relationship?")

I never seen that one to be frank.

You probably have heard the similar but less frank brother called "So, who's wearing the pants in the relationship?"

In manga or in a television serie/movie ? Cause i sure didn't see that one either that much. Granted that almost of the Yuri I've read are about highschoolers

In my own real world experience I have never met anyone in what this manga would describe as a "butch x butch" relationship, but I have seen all the other possible combinations brought up in this and I would actually say most of them don't fit the "butch x femme" stereotypical model either. I don't really like the terms "butch" and "femme" to begin with since most of the LGBT women I've known really don't fit either of these stereotypes well.

last edited at Feb 11, 2020 1:59AM

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Thank fucking god someone pointed out that wanting to fall in love with someone, not because of societal pressure but just because of that person, is just... being in love with them.

Wanting to fall in love with someone because they're in love with you is still social pressure. I'm kind of annoyed at Himari because she apparently hasn't even given the concept of "do I want physical intimacy with this person" any thought in her alleged efforts to determine how she feels about Yori despite it being like the most obvious possible baseline to start from vis a vis romantic feelings even if it's not definitive. Makes it seems like she actually hasn't given this any real thought until Aki kicked her in the ass with a deadline.

Physical sexual desire and romantic love don't necessarily need to overlap.

joined Jul 19, 2018

...freaking My Joy PTSD.

I dodge a bullet as i didn't read it. Her Pet had kinda throw me off of Pito's writing .

My Joy is definitely worth a read. Her Pet on the other hand is one rough ride,

last edited at Feb 3, 2020 2:40AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

my head ... IT HURTSSS

Remember to duck the hammers next time.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

...Dad totally baited her didn't he?

Yeah she got completely owned in that argument. The correct response would have been,"You have it backwards I'm not ashamed to have my father meet my lover. I'm ashamed to have my lover meet what passes for my father." Then again that might not have gone over well either.

Looking East
Lily Marble discussion 14 Jan 04:40
joined Jul 19, 2018

In response to the people complaining the outfit doesn't suite her and it looks like it belongs to like a 30 year old, I think that was the whole point. It does belong to 30 year old. The makeup was super cute.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Oh I don't think actually this one has any chance of ending in polyamory, nor would be well-prepared for healthy polyamory. I was mostly making a tongue-in-cheek comment about how I respond to every love triangle on here. Then I was getting mad when all the random people started insulting polyamory instead of just stating preferences, like they keep doing, which happens all the time, everywhere, and makes me so fucking tired.

I don't think anyone was intentionally dissing polyamory. The one person who said they found it less romantic appeared to just stating their personal opinion on the matter, and worded it poorly originally. I actually happen to agree in that I personally found polyamory less romantic, but then again I think my single very bitter taste of it probably wasn't proper polyamory since the person who was the biggest proponent of it among us was also a manipulative whore dog that I think just wanted an excuse to sleep around without being called a cheater for it. Everyone's different. Some may find polyamory very romantic and others might not. I think that comes down to personal preferences and experiences. Some have had some very positive experiences with it, some very negative and many have no experience with it at all. To each their own.

Any way, back to the story. That last chapter was brutal.

last edited at Jan 12, 2020 3:53AM

Looking East
Still Sick discussion 10 Jan 04:43
joined Jul 19, 2018

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/still_sick_ch18#15

Can someone remind me of these lines? I kinda really don't remember where she's said them. Tried skimming a handful of chapters just now but wow, guess I'm awful at it :s

From what I remember, she hasn't said any of these lines in the manga.

I'm nor sure if she has said these exact lines but they certainly paraphrase and summarize things she has said before.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Ok, I actually broke down and made an account just to talk about this. This last chapter makes this manga a horror story, not a comedy. I wouldn't drop a 20 year champion of the retail wars on the counter during a Day One rush on their first day in the store, let alone someone with massive anxiety issues that has been out of the workforce for at least a year or more. It's a recipe for absolute disaster.

Not to mention how completely sketchy and BS it is to sign someone else up for work without their knowledge or consent. What the hell is her mom trying to do here? Push her into suicide or something?

The only thing I can think of is her mother suffers from Munchausen Syndrome and is trying to cause enough trauma that Neeko never works again.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'm so not entitled to demand more of a product I don't acquire it, that being said, 4 chapters a year for like 13 or less pages and it's not even an complex story, I'll say this is the type of stuff that deserved the axe ...

Don't axe Skeeter Rabbit axe this, I'VE SAID IT!

But this is interesting and Skeeter Rabbit is... well... Skeeter Rabbit.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

The main problem I have with this latest revelation (it’s not actually a “development” since it’s all in the past) is that as a character Risako is supposedly extraordinarily straightforward AND she doesn’t really take other people’s feelings into account.

But in terms of the plot, given what we know about what she has said and done, she’s been portrayed as playing some kind of deep game in her relationship with Reiichi, either for her own benefit or for Kaoru’s.

We know she was with Reiichi when Kaoru had her accident and then admitted that to Uta but lied about it to Kaoru. If they aren’t having an affair and there’s an innocent explanation, there’s no reason for her to deny ever seeing Reiichi since his wedding. If she is using an affair to drive Reiichi and Kaoru apart, it’s counterproductive to hide it from Kaoru. And if she really has no emotions tied up in either one of them, then what is she doing with Reiichi, adulterously or otherwise?

I just don’t see how this supposedly disengaged and hyper-rational Risako squares with the bulk of what we know about the rest of the story.

But who is it that supposed Risako is a hyper-rational disengaged ice queen?

Looking East
Oddman 11 discussion 07 Jan 17:35
joined Jul 19, 2018

Setsu, that's rape.

I was about to make a joke about it which prompted some odd tangential thoughts. What makes "rape" rape? I mean it's a type of assault that is sexual in nature, but does that make doing a Kancho rape? Or like how far does one have to go before anal assault becomes anal rape or is it even rape if only anal is involved?

We live in weird world.

Looking East
Roomshare discussion 02 Jan 22:57
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'll make that lie come true.

What a badass line there.

That line right there, made the manga.

Looking East
joined Jul 19, 2018

Every chapter of this breathtakingly rendered slow-motion trainwreck leaves me needing more. This was definitely not a virtuous, or even smart, move by the husband, but you have to figure...he is probably desperate to talk about this to somebody, and - in typical male fashion - if he has any other male friends, he would probably not be comfortable admitting to any of them that his wife cheated on him, let alone with a woman.

And something else: he probably expects his sister-in-law to relish having something "over" a family member and would turn on Aya, because that's what would happen in HIS family. It doesn't occur to him that, push come to shove, she'll side with supporting her sister.

Why does everybody think the husband is a bad guy? Honestly, though, he seems like the most decent person out of the three. He loves Ayano and wants her to be happy, he's always talked to her and asked her what she wants, then Ayano fucked up bad and he's even trying to cope with it somehow. He hasn't given me one reason to dislike him.

what he did this chapter was pretty shitty I think, if ayano wanted to talk with her sister she would, and he knew that she didn't say anything to Kaede, he went as far as being all cryptic and sending her to the bar for shock value, if he just wanted to talk to someone he would have been streightforward with Kaede and just tell her what it was. Maybe he didn't act sooner because he couldn't believe or he was a bit of a coward to break up or get mad over it, but I think this first act of passive agressiveness from him won't be the last

He does get bonus points for cowardice but it may actually be too early to even accuse him of malicious intent since we are not privy to why he did it. Even if he was aiming to shit stir the wrongness of his actions is still absolutely dwarfed by those of his wife, We have someone who has been horribly betrayed and intentionally wronged by his spouse repaying that betrayal with what is at worst some very low grade passive aggressiveness that doesn't really even cross any lines like lying. I mean as far as throwing a passive aggressive punch goes that's barely a flick in the nose and that's assuming he had bad intentions. He may legitimately be trying to get his sister's input on the whole thing and is too afraid to face his wife's elicit lover himself.,

last edited at Dec 31, 2019 3:44AM