Forum › Posts by Reejun

joined Mar 15, 2017

I don't want to be pessimistic, but 4-komas are rarely known for their quick closure.

Most only last 1-3 volumes. Whether they're longer basically depends on whether they sell well enough to avoid cancellation.

joined Mar 15, 2017

I feel like it's pretty debatable whether this is a 4-koma, though? I mean, there's a lot of 4-panel pages, but they're frequently arranged dynamically and often don't end on a punchline.

"4-koma" is a pretty specific format and structure. 4 panels, usually square, equally sized, typically arranged in two columns. Each column is devoted to a single setup and payoff for a particular joke.

This gets close sometimes, but I don't think most people would classify it as a 4-koma. It's also developing the plot a bit more consistently than most 4-koma and even some other humor comics.

It is 4koma, more specifically "wide 4koma", which is becoming increasingly popular.

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 27 Jul 11:15
joined Mar 15, 2017

I'm not sure why you're bothered by it.

You mean, why am I not leaving your bad take unchallenged and correcting you when you post things that aren't true?

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 27 Jul 10:39
joined Mar 15, 2017

In a big magazine, maybe. But for smaller magazines like Cune, that's not really standard.

Letting series continue is even more of a burden on smaller magazines.

Even MTK rarely will cancel a series with only one volume out.

When the first volume comes out they absolutely do look at sales to decide whether it will end at 2, maybe 3. They will even potentially cancel series at 1 volume based on reader feedback. What's rare is a manga ending suddenly without a final chapter that goes in the final volume.

That's not a good idea, because she risks losing trust and no one will buy her next works.

Whether it's a good decision or not really depends on stuff like the balance of their financial situation. It's not something an armchair expert like you can tell.

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 27 Jul 10:09
joined Mar 15, 2017

Volume one is still on sale. It would be stupid to cancel it because of that. A lot of manga only gets popular after some few number of volumes.

Decisions being taken to cancel a series on the initial sales of the 1st volume is how the industry operates for most series.

Anyway, axed would imply the magazine forced her to cancel.

It's maybe natural to develop the idea it carries that implication, but that's not really right.

If it was her own choice, she had enough room to at least finish a second volume and give it a proper end.

Even if an publisher offered that chance, and they normally do, I can imagine a mangaka might decide not to continue a series if their royalties don't make it worth it, or even financially affordable, so that's one plausible way a series could end like this.

last edited at Jul 27, 2018 10:09AM

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 27 Jul 09:46
joined Mar 15, 2017

It wasn't axed. In that print the magazine makes it clear it was the author's decision to end the manga. The author herself apologizes below. So it has nothing to do with sales or reception. I think the manga was actually well received.

Now why the author choose to cancel it, we might never know.

It is still correct to say it was axed. And it's not impossible the author's decision relates to sales.

last edited at Jul 27, 2018 9:48AM

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 26 Jul 13:34
joined Mar 15, 2017

The latest issue of Cune announced the serialization is cancelled.

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 01 Jun 05:44
joined Mar 15, 2017

Thinking about it, perhaps what she means is that she doesn't spontaneously turn to ash when killed. Dracula crumbled to dust, but Carmilla had to be burned so they could scatter her ashes in a river.

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

I'm fairly confident the belief it skipped a confession is mistaken.

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 31 May 21:04
joined Mar 15, 2017

What does the vampire mean when she says she is the "Camilla type"?

She means she's the same sort of vampire as Carmilla, from the novel of that name (even older than Dracula), and can survive sunlight.

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

Like why Reiichi who has been said to reject Kaoru for years, suddenly married her and why he could want or need to hid some things from her.

It's beneficial to make the audience aware that there's potential for explanations (the purpose of the foreshadowing), but I think it's right that the audience perspective regarding Reiichi's behavior is kept fairly close to Kaoru's understanding.

Why Kaoru thinks she ruined Uta's life and feels responsible

I don't think she does. Presumably you're basing that on ch 2 but I think you've read more into that than was meant.

Anyway, the important thing for understanding current events was the stance that Kaoru expressed, whereas currently you don't need to understand the circumstances behind it. Again, being made aware that there were circumstances is beneficial though. The foreshadowing is used appropriately.

why she now suddenly is afraid of putting herself in other people's lives.

That's more like a flaw Kaoru sees in herself that she was confronted with because of things with Reiichi. I don't feel like it's been flagging by the story as something that needs an explanation.

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

But I’m getting more than a little sick of this water-torture drip-drip of tiny hints about the backstory with their families and the past that has resulted in the present-day situation. I don’t mind when authors use hints about the past to ramp up the tension in a domestic drama, but this just seems like an author coyly implying important things that we need to know about but never clarifying what they are.

It's foreshadowing. If you actually think through the alternatives, this is the right way to handle something that will eventually be revealed and become relevant from the history of the characters.

Reejun
Killing Me! discussion 29 May 05:42
joined Mar 15, 2017

As long as it stays mainly light hearted comedy, it looks fun. There sure are a lot of yuri vampire mangas atm - but at least making one mc a hunter is new.

There's been several in the last few years, but not many are left still going now. Of the ones still going, this and Takano Saku's are the most yuri, followed by Kyuuketsuki Hajimemashita.

last edited at May 29, 2018 6:30AM

joined Mar 15, 2017

Soooo... Any sign of the serilization?

It started.

http://sai-zen-sen.jp/comics/twi4/kusanagi/

Reejun
Truth discussion 22 May 08:09
joined Mar 15, 2017

In Yuru Yuri Season 2 episode 2, Yui is reading a magazine with the same cover as of Truth, though the colors are bit different

Namori, master of subtle self-promotion

In other words, she was reading Yuri-Hime. The covers for 2012 YH issues, which is when Yuru Yuri season 2 was broadcast, were the beginning of Truth.

joined Mar 15, 2017

The point of this is in the ending line: it's a pun on lyrics during the credits.

Could you elaborate please?

The song is "feels like HEAVEN" by HIIH and has lyrics "Oooh きっと来る" Some people think the "Oooh" was "来る…"

Anyway, although the lyric isn't referring to Sadako in the song's context, it can be taken to mean "She's surely coming" which seems fitting for her. The misheard version is a bit more distinctive and easier to recognize as a meme (and seems to be the version the manga is based off) and would be taken as "She's coming... She's surely coming!"

The play on words in the manga is changing 来る (kuru, to come) to クリ (kuri, short for clitoris). Putting the wording on the last panel more literally: "That place is...! Clit... Surely clit!"

joined Mar 15, 2017

To my knowledge, japanese people tend to look down on name puns, so maybe that's all there is to it.

Word play is commonplace in manga character names and titles.

joined Mar 15, 2017

The point of this is in the ending line: it's a pun on lyrics during the credits.

Reejun
Professor? discussion 18 May 05:10
joined Mar 15, 2017

The storyline is coherent. It's purely that the translation doesn't convey enough of the same nuance as the Japanese to be clear.

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

Apparently no one knows how old she is. She could be 12 and just has no idea.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_wa_shoujo_ch01#12

Reejun
Touma-kun discussion 17 May 16:08
joined Mar 15, 2017

Touma knows she's doing cute girls' hair nicely and having casual sex with them. She doesn't understand what hang-ups other people would have about that, but that's part of why she's able to do it. It would be seedy if someone who understood did it anyway, but Touma probably wouldn't do it if she did understand, which would be kind of a shame rather than a good thing.

Reejun
joined Mar 15, 2017

I think every manga fan can agree that there are some problematic behaviors advocated in the art form.

Taking positive portrayal in fiction to be advocacy is what's problematic. One of the great things about fiction is that it provides a way of indulging in fantasies that ought to remain fantasy. It's one of the best things about manga that this is widely accepted.

Reejun
Professor? discussion 16 May 02:47
joined Mar 15, 2017

I don't think anybody's arguing that it's confusing, just poorly written. Not like I should be expecting Romeo and Juliet from Asagi Ryuu, I guess, but the first few conversations between our gal pals here barely make sense.

If they barely make sense then it is confusing.

Anyway, Asagi Ryuu is not to blame for the translation being hard to follow.

last edited at May 16, 2018 2:47AM

Reejun
Professor? discussion 15 May 16:23
joined Mar 15, 2017

I kinda didn't understand a thing about what was happening between those two. Except the sex.

The translation or the plot?

The story's good, but I don't think I would have been able to understand it properly from reading the translation.

The key thing about it is that the basis they establish for why they're meeting up is that the girl is helping the teacher get over her break up. Even when they have sex the first time, that's still the basis they're on, which is important because the teacher then ends that relationship by saying she's fine now. Their romantic relationship starts properly once the girl is in the teacher's home, with no excuse that it's something else.

Reejun
Professor? discussion 15 May 09:16
joined Mar 15, 2017

The dialogue in this thing is genius. For example
"I'll fall for you." "What?" "Thanks."
Or
"Were you waiting for me?" "I'm going to kiss you for that." "Your lips seem pretty soft."
etc

Unfortunately economical, flirtatious exchanges where the nuance is really important suffer badly in translation.