Forum › Posts by Cannibal

Cannibal
Image Comments 24 Jan 05:39
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016
60535045_p0

Not even a fan of Widow x Tracer and that made my heart sink.

Cannibal
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I always thought of ChinatsuxAkari as "leftover pairings" due to YuiXKyouko....

But...nrgrnnng...god damn, forget the arrow, a boulder just struck my chest.

Well they are the only pairing to have kissed on more than one occasion.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Technically not anime but Legend of Korra has a similar premise with its romance plot line.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

that aside I could just describe the story in another way.

That's my point, you can either talk about the details of the story or you can do what a lot of people here are and break it down to its most basic parts. It's the difference between complaining that this story uses the "gay in denial" trope and discussing how it uses that trope as opposed to other stories. I rather see people complaining about how a trope is implemented rather than whining that it's there in the first place. I would probably still try to counter argue but it would be a lot more tolerable.

last edited at Jan 23, 2017 4:44PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I wish people would get the concept that you can criticize something without hating it. And that not every time someone is annoyed at a trope that is a condemnation of the entire work.

@Cannibal: Not every trope is annoying and plenty are only annoying when they get used frequently. Also bloom into you friends with benefits? Benefits indicates precisely what they don't have in their relationship.

The fact that there's so much repeated criticism says otherwise. This is the most "I'm normal" story Morinaga has done since Girl Friends and yet people act like that all she ever writes. The amount of backlash shows that it isn't just normal criticism

Morinaga doesn't even use the trope as much as people are claiming and yet here we are with the complaints.

And specifically about Bloom Into You their relationship is nothing but benefits, Nanami gets the benefit of being able to make out with Yuu whenever she wants and expects Yuu to never fall in love with her. Yuu thinks that if she does fall in love then it will ruin what they have. That's classic romance drama of friends with benefits.

last edited at Jan 23, 2017 4:08PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

This hate over cliches and tropes is just so god damn annoying. I just have to wonder why other series are immune to this. I mean A Kiss and a White Lilly is just a series of cliche couples one after another and yet you see no such whining over there. Even Bloom into You can be summed up into the cliche of friends with benefits having trouble when they start actually falling in love, a story told plenty with het couples and even in Sunstone, and yet people here are in love with the series. Kase-san is just tomboy and girly girl dealing with the same old high school romance issues, dealing with exes and trying to get into the same college. All these are cliche ridden but you won't see people complain about them every single release.

People need to realize that stories these days are nothing but a series of old tropes, only difference is the combination and how you blend these tropes together.

And the people specifically complaining about Morinaga has me even more baffled. Acting like the Secret Recipe doesn't start with the MC's making out, or in the Secret Princess where the MCs make their relationship public before they were actually dating. Acting like she just does the same story over and over again is dishonest at best.

This crying specifically after chapter 13's release about Hina's denial is kind of infuriating seeing as how the last 13 chapters are filled with her insecurity about people knowing her true self. Couple that with her friends badmouthing lesbians in chapter 6 and it makes perfect sense that she would lie. But I guess that just flew over a lot of people's heads. Some even act like Hina is lying to herself, these people need to reread the series because they have obviously forgotten most of it.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I don't have to provide a list. If "I'm going to say I'm normal to not scare my love interest" doesn't ring a bell you have not read enough yuri or you are a zealot and I have no further business with you.

Also, putting pretty drawings on top of a previous story doesn't change a thing. If you haven't figured out how this industry works maybe you're still in the discovering phase and it is really hard to have an adult conversation.

I'm out.

I asked specifically for a list of mangas giving a similar situation of a girl getting her hopes up that her love interest was gay only to crash and burn, You failed to do that. Instead you want to make a huge generalization to connect the red yarn.

You have also not given a single reason as to why a story told with a moe art style can't be realistic, that has absolutely nothing to do with how the industry works.

Still waiting on why you think it's bad writing.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Your examples have nothing to do with what I asked. I asked for a list of manga with a similar situation as this chapter and you have provided nothing of the sort. Instead you give a list of manga of girls coming out of the closet. I can only assume that you think that coming out stories is bad writing.

what I said is that if you're going to put additional value to it you shouldn't even bother.

You said no such thing. You simply stated "This is plain bad writing. Other authors achieve more in a oneshot than Milk in a Series." At this point you still have not explained how it is bad writing, unless you think using tropes automatically makes it bad.

Husky and Medley is based on a 2chan story. Same way Marimite is a light novel. Putting pretty drawings on top doesn't stop them from having a different origin and serving different purposes.

Do you not understand the dissonance there between your previous claim that art style somehow matters in how realistic a story can be?

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 9:21AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

In such an unusual and original fashion.

Apparently so since you can't name one manga that does the same thing.

Schoolgirl + Schoolgirl = 90% covered
In the case of MM Schoolgirl + Schoolgirl = 99.9%

You can start there.

It looks like I misunderstood, I didn't think you were going to actually make the claim that school girl yuri is automatically bad writing but you surprised me.

Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry-Blossom / This Love From I Can't Remember When
In Girlfriends there is a whole het arc based on this premise.
In Secret of the Princess the whole story is based on this.
In The Secret Recipe there is an "I'm normal" arc.

Sorry, where was the red herring ex girlfriend that gives MC hope of having a relationship only to be dashed? None of those? You seem to make huge generalizations of the story in order to make such connections. Might as well say that Morinaga writes too much yuri romance, maybe her next series should be a het harem shounen in order to spice things up.

Anyone with common sense. Yeah.

Now that is a new low, I guess Husky and Medley isn't as true as the author claimed. I guess books can't tell a realistic story since their just words on paper, no realistic art at all./s

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 8:57AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Apparently there is no shortage of coming out stories so Morinaga should just stop for whatever reason.

Actually there isn't. It is the most done to death story archetype, that is why people who read yuri for a bit longer are so sick of it (including me). I don't mind it, but not when it takes entire story and then once it is finally solved, the series ends.

So you don't mind it but you do mind it? So no more coming out stories despite the fact that reality still doesn't make it that easy? If you did that with every other type of story then nothing would ever come out again. Every single type of story and genre has been done to death, even the fluffy yuri and the melodramatic yuri. Doesn't mean that it should stop being made.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

You're saying this as if the author had nothing to do with the setup to begin with. The development comes right out of the author's script. The old friend situation came right out of her hand.

Yeah, it's called a red herring and it was used as a device for Hana to figure out her own feelings while also setting up an unusual situation.

Why a list?, you can make a really simple diagram and cover 90% of yuri development in manga. If you had been around as long as me you should know this by now.

I can try to find the one one shot I can think of that uses a similar situation, but to say that it covers 90% of yuri development is just a blatant lie. I don't remember Milk using a similar situation in any of her other series, please which one does the MC gets her hopes up that her romantic interest is interested in women only for it to be shot down? Should not be hard to name it.

If you think that any manga with moe art is a realistic look at anything you're beyond help.

Oh, yes, because everyone knows that art style is indicative of how realistic the situation is./s

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 8:23AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

No, my points are directed at Orestes and Anonko who seem to think that a story about teenagers coming out of the closet is somehow now automatically bad writing. The Morinaga should write about something else as if there was a shortage of fluff or drama filled adult stories. Apparently there is no shortage of coming out stories so Morinaga should just stop for whatever reason.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Then people can enjoy reading stories like Beloved or Wife and Wife. Just because it's possible for Milk to write something fluffy or pure lesbian drama doesn't mean that she has to in order to write a good story. Doesn't matter what kind of stories you read a decade ago, this is stuff kids today still have to worry about. It's realistic situations, unlike something like Pulse where every woman in the city is apparently lesbian or bi and has slept with this one particular doctor.

We can still get good action movies no matter how many explosions and gun fights we have seen before, we can get good yuri no matter if they reuse the issue of denial and the difficulties of coming out of the closet.

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 7:57AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Woah, woah. Hold your horses.

I do understand people having a hard time confessing to someone else being gay or het. What I don't understand is why every story has to pull the same keynotes. It's like the Canon by Pachelbel of yuri. Aren't you even a bit baffled that something supposedly out of the ordinary always develop in the same way? It's like watching the ninth reboot of Spiderman.

Oneshots are that, oneshots. You don't have to wait for months to find out that the story didn't develop an inch or in fact it went back to square one and all this while you fear the author pulling the same old yuri tropes again and again.

This has nothing to do with not understanding the degree of homophobia in Japan or anywhere else. It has to do with the quality of the media being discussed. If you think that yuri should get a free pass whatever the quality just because it is somewhat gay maybe it is you who should check your privilege.

Apparently you don't understand because you think that Hina should just come right on out after a misunderstanding. Because an old friend who jokes about being her ex showed up she should all the sudden announce her love to Hana and live happy ever after. Now that would actually be bad writing.

You can talk about using the same keynotes or tropes all you want but if you can't pin point a list of manga where a girl got her hopes up about dating someone who she thought was into women only to be indirectly shot down due to her anxiety of society's homophobia then maybe you might have a point.

You're just complaining because this is another manga that takes a realistic look at how gay teenagers in Japan would come out of the closet. Turns out it's a tough thing to do and requires a lot of denial when others come close to discovering the truth. Other than supposedly following old tropes like you claim how is this bad writing? Are we not allowed to have stories about girls being unable to come out or would that just be bad writing?

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 7:49AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Are you people really that pissed off? God damn, where is all this vitriol every time a trope filled oneshot gets loaded up on here? How many truly original stories can you claim that you have read on here?

A yuri romance manga about two gay teenagers who are stuck in the closet! Who would have thought that gays would have a hard time coming out in traditional thinking Japan???/s

I never thought I would say this in a serious manner but check your privilege. Most of the world still doesn't accept gays, it's a bit of a riskier situation to let their sexuality be found out.

The best part is that you are acting like it came out of left field when the whole series is built on the idea that Hina is scared of letting people know about her true self. In chapter 6 her friends badmouth the possibility of a lesbian going to their school, but you think she should just come right on out? It's not bad writing, it seems you guys just don't have good reading comprehension.

For me, I appreciate the ex-girlfriend red herring. I don't remember ever reading a yuri manga where one girl thought she had a chance because she knew the other girl was interested in women, only for her to be indirectly turned down because of the other's anxiety over society's homophobia. But I guess I have some to add to my "to read" list since that's apparently an overused trope according to some people here.

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 7:00AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Cannibal posted:

It's well done, but a bit unoriginal...

I just can't get into this drama because it's a déjà-vu...

tvtropes exists because nothing is original anymore.

And yet, some authors are able to give them a new shine.

I was just watching Sangatsu no Lion and even if there are probably some tropes, I didn't notice them, because the storytelling grips you and never lets you dwell on what could be similar to something you already watched.

Morinaga here looked like she was doing a trope (the ex), then subverted it by making her just a friend, only to slip in another one, the "we are both girls...".

I won't deny Hana and Hina are cute and that you can't help but feel bad for them because nothing in their society supports their newfound feelings, but when a story is predictable, it loses its shine. Girlfriends was not that predictable.

Spoiler : They end up together.

Except we have known for a while that Hina has had trouble in her past dealing with her homosexuality, she has been trying this whole time to seem "normal". From her love of cute character products to her homosexuality. It's not something new to the story and definitely not something that was only just slipped in.

To call a romance story predictable just because you know that the couple will get together at the end just sets yourself up for disappointment every time. It's like calling Sangtsu no Lion predictable because you know it's going to get a happy ending.

Also, calling Girl Friends not as predictable in comparison when this whole ex-girlfriend arc turned out to be a red herring sounds kind of like a joke.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 6:50PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

It's well done, but a bit unoriginal...

I just can't get into this drama because it's a déjà-vu...

TVtropes exists because nothing is original anymore.

With the actual chapter, it's nice to see an MC thinking proactively after finding out their love interest had already dated a girl. Usually you get MCs in despair for not being their SO's first. Hana didn't really seem to care that Hina had already dated someone else, like a real person would usually act, to her it just meant that she had a chance. Now after being lied to all that optimism comes crashing down. Now this being a Morinaga Milk manga we know the MCs are going to get together at the end so the question remains of who is going to overcome their anxiety about homosexuality and confess first?

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 4:37PM

Cannibal
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Not looking forward to that 4 people room sharing, though. I fear it'll ruin the dynamic.

I think that they're just neighbors.

Edit: Yeah, definitely neighbors who just moved in next door.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 6:15AM

Cannibal
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I think it's about time it gets changed back.

We have Kasumi calling Sakurako her wife, we have Sakurako thinking about how her and her sister have similar taste in women, now we have Kasumi fishing candy of Sakurako's mouth with her tongue. We probably won't get a proper confession or a proper romantic kiss but I have seen one shots get the Yuri tag for less.

Cannibal
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Just counting the days until we get that Yuri tag.

Cannibal
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Twitter account suspended? Anyone know why?

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Thank you, Yuri Girl. When I heard it was canceled I feared that it was going to get a rushed ending or even no ending at all. Now that that anxiety is gone I can relax while waiting for the releases.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I tried to read em but they wouldnt download for me?

The file sharing site they used is a little fishy. The download button opened up 3 ads before it finally worked.

Cannibal
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I wish people read the tags and took the story as it is. Perhaps it was the combination of rape and age gap that triggers people? For me, in dynasty-scans, I view rape as an element to speed relationships (usually end up in a everyone is happy ending). While the ending was happy, my only concern was it felt way too rushed. Constant ecstasy of sex as a platform to solidify a relationship is just a cheap excuse. Was unique though 7/10.

Are you fucking stupid or what? Wtf, rape is abuse, nothing more, nothing less. I can't understand that way of thinking. Hopefully you don't anything to someone in real life since it's okay if it's fake

Dude, no reason to go around insulting people for having a different interpretation of fictional media. This site has tags front and center for a reason.

last edited at Jan 17, 2017 6:02AM

Cannibal
Blondes 16 Jan 20:37
Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

How the hell did I forget about Candy? It's one of my favorites. :P