Forum › Posts by lilyflame

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 06 Jan 13:56
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Can't blame them for wanting that sweet moolah.

If that were the goal, leveraging these kind of sites to promote the existing free, delayed chapters of the remake as already discussed would be a much more lucrative move. While it's her prerogative, of course, and I think "if it's available in English, just buy it" is completely reasonable in general, I can't even see this as a good purely business decision.

Also, the old version is literally only up to Vol 4 (and only up to Vol 2 is available on Booth, apparently?) - I certainly don't think anything past Vol 2 should be removed until it's clarified whether removing chapters not even currently on sale was the intent. I have no idea how I'd have written anything without the current English version as a quick reference.

edit: Apparently this may be (at least partially) mirroring the decision to pull the old version from Japanese Kindle a few months ago, so ongoing discussion of the remake wouldn't get spoiled by discussion of the doujin version. This also explains why English Vol 3 & 4 are not currently being sold. In light of this, removing the old version (however possible) makes a little more sense, and while I'm still not super happy about it, it is at least consistent.

last edited at Jan 7, 2022 4:18PM

lilyflame
Yuru Oyako discussion 31 Dec 16:22
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Sumika's role is really to squeeze Sayaka between her knowing-but-completely-blase "oh you were exactly like this haha so what's the problem~~~" attitude & Yuuki's stubbornness to keep Sayaka perpetually flustered like some sort of oyako tokamak; that angle works a lot better for me than the chapters where Yuuki just pushes her around.

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 13 Dec 17:16
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

YH page? I would like to see where taiyaki is at right now with remake and I will pay and subscribe once part 2 starts.

This page. Up to Chapter 3 is available to read for free and Chapter 4 should be available free pretty soon. The Japanese release for subscribers is currently at the first half of Chapter 5 (the English release is still at Ch4 since it sometimes lags a bit behind), and the update speed has been about a full chapter per month.

last edited at Dec 13, 2021 5:17PM

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I'd keep reading either way but this was the turn I was secretly hoping for from the title. Keeping my expectations set to the safer "older woman is shocked, blushy mess", but if we get an age gap series out of this where the pretty onee-san is the top I don't think my heart will be able to take it

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Sayaka logic has entered the chat

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I don't think that's how that works. But, do keep trying to prove your hypothesis.

It absolutely works from personal experience. Most hiccup remedies seem to be about triggering some overwhelming physical sensation that interrupts it (drinking or eating something really cold/sour/sweet, mild pain, holding your breath, whatever).

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 15 Oct 01:59
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Oh, no, I 100% agree that it's only referring to the 'looking' thing and Ayako is just expressing that she's resigned to that treatment (she'd certainly have to be to put up with Akira for that long). I'm just citing that exchange as part of the general vibe the two have about Akira's attraction to Ayako. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

(I do find it pretty funny it's even a tiny bit believable as referring to anything else, though, because if you ignore all the context you mentioned, that line does sound like such a characteristically coy invitation, like a very Ayako version of 'netflix and chill')

edit: Also, as suggested, I updated the story to use 'Mom' in all the big first-person blocks, as well as in internal thoughts where it flowed with the rest of the sentence (generally in places when Asuka is thinking more subjectively). I was careful to make sure it was prominent in Asuka's spoken dialogue, but using it so sparingly in internal thoughts was 100% a character-voice slip on my part, and especially jarring in the intro, so I appreciate you mentioning it even if you weren't a fan of the work.

last edited at Oct 15, 2021 11:03PM

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 13 Oct 20:46
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Don’t think Ayako ever perceived Akira as any kind of romantic partner (obligatory or not) – rather just as a family (non-romantic kind of it, not the other kind she ended up being with Asuka) and a friend.

Otherwise it doesn't add up to a lot of things. Their last conversation (16.2) for example. If they’d already used to have intimate relationship before, Akira would be asking something akin to “and did you felt the same way with me?” instead of her “what if it’s with me?” following by the demonstration of exactly what’d she meant by said line.

That makes sense, although if it were 10 or so years later I think it's reasonable that Ayako might need a reminder. I've always just based it on how casual Ayako and Akira are about the topic: the 'I don't mind if it's me' line, the way she behaves when Akira shows up at the pharmacy, the attempted sleeping kiss (I can buy this being a random impulse from a pent-up-adolescent-passion Asuka, but not from an at-that-point-32?-year-old Akira), Akira's guilt about her not deserving Ayako's love, and Ayako's general begrudging-but-accepting attitude to Akira's teasing. To me (and my girlfriend who read the manga a few months ago), their behavior together absolutely screams that they had a history that they tried to keep Asuka from noticing (of course Asuka of all people would interpret this as Ayako being "attacked"), with Akira eventually falling back into being the supportive Morii family ATM we know and love.

I admit part of the appeal for me is it also recontextualizes the "what happened wasn't your fault" line into something more interesting and relevant IMO. I suspect Taiyaki was really trying to go for something a little too expository about Akira somehow being responsible for Atsushi's death, but it seems like a pretty weird place to bring that up. In light of Akira finding out about the two of them, unexpectedly leaving, and expressing some frustration toward Asuka, an 'it's not you, it's me' speech starts making a lot more sense.

Ultimately, I know this is a fairly ancient debate and it can be read a variety of ways (and I enjoy all of them, including the completely platonic one!) - it's just, from a writer's perspective, Akira being Asuka's thematic mirror is really too tempting a character arc to ignore. I'm looking forward to her showing up in the remake a lot.

ohh thank you for the reply, instant sub XD. yeah i prefer the original too, i think i will skip the remake but read the easygoing oyako instead.

hehehe i read your work, i love it. akira is my most favorite character in here, just how cool she is.. kinda want to see it in manga form. thank you.

Forgot to reply, thank you for reading & I'm happy you liked it. I write assuming I'm probably the only person in the world that the story is going to work for (especially when the subject matter is cross-generational incestuous love triangles) and so when people let me know they enjoyed something I worked on it really makes my day.

last edited at Oct 14, 2021 1:37AM

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 12 Oct 14:04
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I understand, just thought I'd mention the option since I won't be able to get around to it for a while. I'll certainly let you know if it looks like it's viable.

edit: Also, just in case it wasn't clear, I'm not saying it was really 'casual sex': my interpretation (which is basically core to both stories) has that they had a prior, serious relationship before Akira came to realize that Ayako was unconsciously playing out her preconceptions of what 'having a family' meant with Akira (as she would have with Atsushi), rather than there being any genuine desire there. Between Asuka existing at all from her brief time with Atsushi, Ayako likely internalizing the idea that sexual desire towards a partner is part of a normal domestic life, and Akira being Akira, I can't imagine that relationship as being completely sexless.

last edited at Oct 12, 2021 5:00PM

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 12 Oct 04:01
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I don't think it'd be appropriate to bug Taiyaki directly, since she's delegated that stuff out for a reason & it's YH's translation work, but since you posted about it previously I've been considering asking YH when I get the time. For various personal reasons, that probably won't be for a while, so if you'd like to know sooner I'd really suggest emailing (hello@yurihub.com) or DMing @yuri_hub_plus and just asking. They're nice there and I think they'd be open-minded about it (maybe throwing in some links and a short explanation where the credits page would normally go or something?).

I do think embracing how overseas readers discover manga a litlte more would probably be a good business decision as well as a good community decision. There are a ton of natural discovery mechanisms for Japanese readers -- Yuri Navi and the rankings, Amazon recommendations, author cross-promotion, lots of anthologies that don't get scanlated or licensed -- that just don't have any parallels here. For example, a lot of people seemed to be completely unaware that My Sweet Home even existed (much less where to get it) until for whatever reason a group scanlated two random chapters???

Also, Fanbox is an absolutely fantastic monetization system for English-translated manga (accepting intl. credit cards, full English site, none of the sword-of-Damocles content restrictions like Patreon), but it's obviously not a great place to have detailed discussions, and the reader is so bad I just open all the pages in tabs... so I'd definitely like to see it here too.

last edited at Oct 12, 2021 4:08AM

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 10 Oct 18:41
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

@lilyflame, yeah I'm 99% sure that was a mistake in english version.

Thanks a bunch for confirming, it seemed like an oddly basic mistake to make for an official translation so I kept thinking I had to have missed something.

umm, so is the yuri hub the part 2 or a remake ?

It's the remake right now until it catches up to where part 2 would start - you can always check the YH page for the free chapters to see where it's at.

If anyone's interested, finally finished that Akira x Asuka oneshot (~8.3k words), an alternate ending for Room You Can't Escape. If it's not obvious from the premise, CW for all the things you'd generally expect from this manga dialed up to (a soft-ish?) R18 -- Taiyaki said it was OK so I went for it (and tried to make it both fun & meaningful). This is also a significantly more 1x1/2-y story in tone, and for both of those reasons it was a lot more difficult. I'm not super happy with it in a few places, but I'd spent so long on it that the drafts were starting to go in circles...

I probably won't keep posting my own work here since the thread is pretty slow now and it feels weird, but will almost certainly keep writing here and there as the new serialization progresses (I try to write fairly canon-compliant), so if you're interested in future works you can keep an eye on the 1x1/2 tag or my AO3 profile!

Thoughts on the remake so far: my worry was a tighter story might unintentionally get way too intense and make the extended cast feel disposable -- the fun, fluffy meandering is pretty charming and balances out the drama. So I like the light touch where the original worked fine (the dialogue's so similar in places that when I trip over some kanji, it's nice to remember the sentence from memory!)

The changes that were made seem pretty smart so far: I don't really miss stuff like Asuka running into a random old lady instead of someone relevant (and the someone is a fun cameo), and as things progress it looks like we're going to get more scene additions rather than just trimming the fat, and Rui seems more three-dimensional now. A while back I joked that maybe the most awaited plot point here was Ayako finally buying that new bed, and Taiyaki replied that she just never found a good place for it, so I'd laugh if we finally saw it this time around (...eventually!)

last edited at Oct 10, 2021 6:51PM

lilyflame
Yuru Oyako discussion 04 Sep 14:11
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

The first chapter got turned into a voice comic -- Taiyaki channeled her powerful shipping energy into getting the VAs of Yugiri and Lily from ZLS (Rika Kinugawa & Minami Tanaka) to voice Sayaka and Yuuki.

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 29 Aug 16:59
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Back when the previous version was being released as volumes, Taiyaki had to periodically pull older Fanbox digital releases -- if I remember right, this was because an exclusivity clause is applied to titles once they're enrolled in Kindle Unlimited (and KU was very helpful in keeping the series afloat). I don't think there's as much of a chance of that now since this version is being serialized on Pixiv Comics, but having control over distribution is probably important. Even so, it would be nice if some sort of agreement could be made for them to be uploaded here,

I'm hesitant to mention it, but I've been reading both the Japanese and the English versions and I'm not completely insane for thinking「あなたを世界で一番愛した男のDNA」to "the DNA of the man who you loved the most" is backwards and it should be "the DNA of the man who loved you most in the [entire] world" (as in the version here), right? I mean, it doesn't matter all that much at this point because Asuka has no idea as to how bizarre her parents' relationship really was, but it also doesn't flow at all.

edit: Also, the new cover being used for the serialization on Pixiv Comics looks pretty neat..

last edited at Aug 29, 2021 11:52PM

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Can someone clarify what kind of exception prompted the licensed My Sweet Home anthology chapters to be posted here? I've seen cases where series with scanlations well ahead of the (typically large publisher's) official English release continue, but this is a 170pg+ doujin anthology that has been fully available in English since March for like $14, so it's kind of disheartening to see it appear here piecemeal.

last edited at Aug 1, 2021 4:19AM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

More of everything about this, please

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

It looks like the series may resume pretty soon!

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

not sure about this one

lilyflame
Mature discussion 04 Jun 19:56
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

perfect tag (also cynthia totally counts)

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

depicting a demanding masochist encouraging a brand-new sadist into discovering new things about herself is really cool [...] "oh fuck, I want to do this? I can do this? This girl I really like also really really wants me to do this? H e l p" thing that comes from the other end of the dynamic.

We get to see this in the (utterly fantastic) Looking Up to Magical Girls, but beyond that I can't remember off the top of my head any media I've seen recently that really explores that headspace. [This is an undisguised request to reply with links to such media if you have them].

If I remember right, The Real Her gets into this quite a bit, but it's been forever since I read it and I think Yuuka's maybe more presented as an S-type in denial (or at least confused that anybody would enjoy being treated that way) than a complete amateur.

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Before that ending I would have probably said the story would have been better without the ABO baggage (not because it's ~~~problematic~~~ but just because it's a ton of exposition for such a short story), but it was justified in the end, and I thought the story was much more interesting and enjoyable as a result. Glad I didn't skip this because of the comments!

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

i love them

lilyflame
Yuru Oyako discussion 13 May 18:02
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

If your next 1x1/2 fanfic is going to be as good as the first one and it'll have Ayako and Asuka in it would you mind if I translate it into russian? (I hope it'll serve as motivation).

Sorry to say Ayako probably won't (directly) be in the next one - I'd love to write her but I feel way more confident with Akira's character voice right now and so this one's mostly Akira x Asuka. Please feel free to translate anything though, if I keep writing these I'm sure I'll do something with Ayako and Asuka eventually. (This time I don't have a self-imposed deadline, so I've been working a lot slower...)

last edited at May 13, 2021 6:03PM

lilyflame
Yuru Oyako discussion 12 May 16:39
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Died at how Taiyaki pretty much laid it all out in the afterword. I've been writing more 1x1/2 fanfic and really have a new appreciation for how draining tackling those themes can be if you're taking them seriously, especially for three or four years straight.

Also kind of nice to see the original English title for 1x1/2 may have won out? I always thought it was pretty.

lilyflame
Inui Ayu discussion 03 May 18:49
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Yuri Times has the first part of a two-part interview with Inui Ayu up now for those interested.

edit: Part 2 is up!.

last edited at May 12, 2021 4:44PM

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I'd also really appreciate a way to track series chapter progress. Generally I'll put the next unread chapter in To Read for later, but that's not visible in the series chapter list (and means you have to remember to go back and remove it when you're finished).