Forum › Posts by Samcaesar

joined Sep 13, 2018

It... Was kinda cute, but also odd? I kinda wish for a follow up where Lappi gets a human body and they can like, actually be together though.

joined Sep 13, 2018

Not to get my hopes up too much, but I swear to god after years of saying Sasameki Koto was one of the few works to really appeal to me as a butch (trans) woman, if Ikeda gives me a gay trans woman in a manga with a really healthy sapphic age gap couple I will buy him several hundred dollars worth of alcohol if he wanted.

Tbh with regards to Kita I don't even see the whole 'mistaken as a stalker' thing as negative, like, yeah they pushed boundaries a bit with how they returned that umbrella, but like awkward possibly trans girl with no one to really talk to about it suddenly sees someone they think Gots What They Want I can kinda get suspend my disbelief enough to not mind it at all.

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 4:13AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

Why is it, when a relationship is on the rocks, some people think that having a baby is going to fix it?

Heteronormativity is one hell of a drug.

Re the new chapter, honestly I'm surprised she just nearly puked just from getting a little frisky from her husband. It was a bit nicer than previous chapters by just focusing in on Yukako and what's going on in her head imho

Samcaesar
joined Sep 13, 2018

And Kay isn't a lesbian. She's not anything. I think something is dead inside her, or non functioning. Death of other people has no meaning to her and I think if she had to, she would kill Dahlia without batting an eye.

Girl bawled about two fictional dudes dying, she's not like incapable of feeling things, just the way she processes a lot of shit is super wack. Like heck, she even wanted to make sure Dahlia was okay when she got poisoned and let her get the finishing shots on her abusive adoptive dad. While I could definitely see Kay turning on Dahlia on a dime, I could just as easily see her refusing to For Some Reason. That said I have the yuri goggles always on tight.

That said Dahlia is absolutely gay as fuck and I want her to shoot Michitaka lmao

Samcaesar
joined Sep 13, 2018

I was excited to see what this mangaka would do after the excellent Run Away With me Girl. Unfortunately, if this is the direction they are going with it, I'm gonna have to opt out.

Yeah, like I loved RAWMG a lot, but man if she goes a predatory lesbian route that's just gonna be disappointing :(

joined Sep 13, 2018

Getting some yandere vibes from miko rn

Not really yandere, just 'I'm a monster hunter and the girl i like atrracts monsters so I'm mega protective' vibes, I don't think Miko would have any issues with Hinako finding a human love, just a monster that wants to eat her is a monster that wants to eat her lmao

joined Sep 13, 2018

Yeah, the part about clothes is just weird, she isn't even dressing all that masculine, it's just pants, pretty feminine looking pants too. I don't really know what the point is.

Yeah lmao, like c'mon, the first chapter is about how their lipsticks mixed, she's hardly 'dressing like a man'

1. I'm not a fan of the trying to dress like a man thing, but I don't think it is necessarily something aimed at stereotypical lesbian ... Yurako would think she would look cute in.

I mean, I just can't really see the logic in it. Like Chinami doesn't even necessarily think Yukako is only attracted to men, just that she chose a man over her, meanwhile Yukako was seduced by a pretty feminine Chinami at the reunion, has said Chinami would look cute in skirts, and as someone else pointed out she's not even dressing that masculine. So just the whole deal of 'I hate dressing like a man!!' feels weird and I just jump that assumption because I've seen the 'Oh lesbians dress like men to attract women' deal before.

People are really prompt at throwing stones at Yukako I see.

Yeah frankly, like I get not liking her, but the tendency i see people to go 'hope she dies in a gutter' because they hurt someone else is like real weird imho. Gets even weirder with the 'Oh boy, here we go, there's gonna be 50 people talking about how the girl is an uwu angel who does nothing wrong!'

joined Sep 13, 2018

Honestly this series is pretty rough, like I like this sorta concept as I love stories effectively about the post-Class S and heteronormative pressures, but it's hard for me to really feel anything much positive for any of the characters I guess?

Yukako doesn't really have the same hopelessly adrift feel I'd expect from this sorta character, like she seems way too involved in the affair for me to just write it off as that. I don't like, hate her, but beyond feeling bad because of the situation and a bit frustrated over how she acts I don't Feel much for her period. The husband isn't like, The Worst (And I'm not sure where people get the idea that the mangaka is even writing him to be that way), I don't even necessarily get awful vibes from him like a certain husband from Another Series. He's a little bit of a prick with his comments, but he seems to cut it out, he's like just a little less than an average-guy i guess? And Chinami... I dunno, something about her frustrates me, like she's presented as being sympathetic, but she goes out of her way to possibly ruin Yukako's life when she could've just gone never bothered with Yukako and found a nice girlfriend.but instead she goes out of her way to seduce Yukako then is like 'lol nope, hated you'? Like girl, you could've just not gotten involved, but instead you went out of your way to poke at sensitive spots you were sure Yukako wanted to hear and know about. It's one thing to get mad or whatever because Yukako won't commit to you, but it's another to go "Aw wow, aren't you so cute, even this soft stomach of yours is cu- Actually I hated all of it and wanted to make you suffer", especially when it seems like it was her who even goaded Yukako into the whole deal.

And maybe this is just a little personal issue but man the 'And I even dressed like a man for you!' bit kinda annoyed me? Like yeah sure, Chinami's mad Yukako folded to heteronormativity and broke her heart, but there's nowhere that she made it seem like Chinami had to dress more masculine for her, it just feels like a shallow dig at the reasons why lesbians often dress more masculine than het women. >_>

Like at this point I've sunk my costs in it enough that I'm gonna read the last two chapters, but I don't really know what to expect or what I even want with this.

Samcaesar
joined Sep 13, 2018

is it just a little easter egg or are those end credits(ch. 31) gonna reference something later in the story? anyone able to just save the translation of those symbols for a later date?

It's just the effect the otherworld does to text I'm pretty sure, which is something we've seen before. Honestly it's a cute, kinda spooky easter egg lmao

joined Sep 13, 2018

On the other hand, have you guys seen Iori Miyazawa's views on Yuri? like holy cow that dude is a diehard Yuri fan. Most male yuri authors don't know a thing or two about Yuri but this dude explains the nature of Yuri perfectly, and even better than many female yuri authors I know! He is my spirit animal. I am honored to read such an amazing work by him.

I've been thinking about that interview nonstop since I reread it a few years ago. the

I.M."Two wild beasts glaring and pouncing at each other. It's yuri, isn't it?"

Is what especially resonated with me and several of the other gay women and folks into yuri I've shown it to lmao. He really resonates with me with this like off the wall avant garde yuri talk.

As for the Anime: First episode was nice, I felt like the whole deal with the Kunekune was better in the LN or Manga for sure though. I can kind of expect that as I feel like 'trippy' stuff might be harder to depict in animated mediums. Kunekune itself looked fine, though a bit more menacing than just otherworldly and eerie like they do in the manga. I'm frankly really curious on where the story is going to pace out to. Like people have pointed out that there's volume 3 references in the opening, but god I hope they don't rush it too hard.

Samcaesar
joined Sep 13, 2018

God I love this series so much

Samcaesar
Lit a Light discussion 06 Jan 03:39
joined Sep 13, 2018

Was pleasantly surprised as I expected some kinda tragedy or something, either the love interest getting gunned down or being in on the plot and deciding to reveal only for it to be too late. But instead! A nice happy ending for them both.

joined Sep 13, 2018

I feel like Shiori was probably the one who saved Hinako during the accident. Seems like a boat they were on exploded? Unsure if Shirori is telling the truth about wanting to eat Hinako at her happiest because she'll taste better or if it's because she just wants Hinako to be happy again.

Honestly I could get the idea of Shiori lying about wanting to eat her, and in like a weird fucked up monster way, she gets Hinako wants to die (Not the why hence asking her at the end of ch4), so she's using that desire to goad her into trying to improve herself. Otherwise I don't really see a whole 'Oh she falls in love and doesn't wanna eat Hinako' type route happening, and a 'Hinako gets better and gets eaten' just kinda depresses me to think about lmao.

yeah, I thought of that too, but the author could have easily showed them holding hands without the bracelet present too if it was mainly for the pda. Like I said, I could be reaching HAHA but we're only on ch 4 of the series and I can't help but feel like there's more too it or some plot twist is gonna happen. It doesn't look like I'm the only one in this forum that thinks there's more to Miko than what she's letting on but idk we'll see

Honestly I'd super buy Miko being an exorcist or something. She's Hinako's only friend, and despite Hinako being absolutely irresistible to monsters, she hasn't been eaten up until the times where Miko has been gone. Like in Ch1 she couldn't walk Hinako to school -> Hinako nearly gets lured into being eaten until Shiori stops her. Also she asked a rather specific 'did any weirdos bother you' question, like she might be aware of the idea that Hinako draws in 'weirdos'. She's got to have something to do with why Hinako's alive up until now.. Like it could be just 'Oh she just cares about her friend' but way to many things seem suspicious. Hell I wouldn't even be surprised if the whole 'oh my uniform was wet!' and fever things were just covers for her doing her duties killing monsters. Plus it'd really play into the love triangle they've clearly got developing if you've got love rivals being a monster and monster hunter.

last edited at Dec 2, 2020 4:19AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

That was so fucking cute, holy shit

Samcaesar
Roid discussion 19 Sep 22:14
joined Sep 13, 2018

I think I need to point out that there are 4 chapters left for this series.
It definitely axed, but that makes sense considering the story is more like sci-fi drama than a yuri and Yurihime kind of disregard things like this. (Yes, I just realized it was published in YH as well)

Honestly I wish there was (or that I was aware of) agood space for sci-fi or fantasy dramas With a yuri subfocus. Like I like reading stuff with plot beyond like 'oh when will they deal with their misunderstandings and angst and get together', but I also like fun fantasy settings where stuff happens, I just dislike that stuff being weighted by het ships lmao

joined Sep 13, 2018

First, there was the lesbian seagull.
Then, the lesbian frog...
Are we seeing the dawn of the... lesbian alpaca?

Lesbian frog?

joined Sep 13, 2018

I love it when gay masculine girls get topped, it's the best shit. This chapter in general was so good and funny.

Samcaesar
Roid discussion 29 Aug 07:23
joined Sep 13, 2018

Tbh I kinda like how the angst between Yui and Anna isn't just one sided. Both Yui and Anna have things they want from each other and it's nice grounds for this sort of discussion that doesn't happen often. Still a bit curious on that robot waking up suddenly and seemingly acting with a purpose. Like, a reach here but I wonder if Yui set it off to have an excuse to go 'I had to upload my consciousness!' but something went wrong and her upload went back into the human body too or you can't really just extract a brain's information and leave it dry so we've got two copies of her now.

joined Sep 13, 2018

I still think the way Akira was handled is perfectly open for criticism. It's true she's not the main character, but she shares space with Hime on the cover, when it wasn't focused on Hime it was usually focused on her. She was clearly supposed to be important and unfortunately that wasn't really reflected in the ending.

Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't say its not without criticism and like every other lgbtq character show she gets sidelined to hell (especially given the more prominent focus on her), I guess I just feel like it was clear the heavier focus was on Hime and given how it ended, the mangaka not bothering at all on Akira only makes sense to me lmao.

Nice realistic ending. Why the hate?

Cause it's a story that set itself out as 'girl with confusion on her identity has a crush on her trans best friend' and it ends with basically every lgbtq character shown being sidelined and the ending being the main girl ending up in a really heterosexual and heternormative relationship with a kinda boring guy that I don't think many of us cared about.

Honestly it doesn't even feel realistic, the last we saw of Hime's future husband, she said their date was nice and appreciated that he had a nice day with her too, and then he moved out of the prefecture and she mostly hung out with his sister with no mention of like, continuing to date him. Meanwhile there was 40+ chapters of her not really sure where she felt with her crush on Akira, confusion on her own sexuality and gender stuff only for it to just end up with her being a gender-conforming cishet woman. Like, I guess that's realistic, not everyone who questions their identity ends up LGBTQ, but so is 'And she figures out she's gay and dates Akira' (Which, honestly I feel is way more realistic than their 'eh yeah I'm just gonna deal with this weird crush I have and never bother to explore what it could mean further')..

joined Sep 13, 2018

I mean yeah, from the get go I think expecting more focus on Akira when Hime is clearly the main character in this is setting yourself up for disappointment, even if I wish there was a greater focus on her.

Also: Don't call a trans women 'physically male', you're still calling them male. Taking issue with trans women feeling uncomfortable with how a cishet mangaka depicts a trans woman is not a good position to take lmao, even if you're trans yourself. That's all I'm saying on the matter because I agree with KawaiiSuika on it being best to avoid drama even I think 'physically male/female' is pretty useless for a variety of reasons.

Ultimately I'm just kinda disappointed that the whole plot of 'Girl who doesn't know about her identity, meets a lot of LGBTQ characters (who get basically sidelined for Her growth) and her growth consists of having issues with being a woman and maybe being gay but ultimately just being a cishet feminine woman with a typical job and a husband and kid'. (For clarity: I also acknowledge the notion that she could be a bi woman in a relationship with a man but it 100% does not seem like that's the conclusion the mangaka took and I feel its useless to pretend we got that if anything)

Like... I dunno, it just feels like very disappointing bait, especially for what it could've been..

joined Sep 13, 2018

I mean unless if I missed something in the last two chapters, we don't know much about Akira to say 'oh she didn't even get on hrt!' like... She looks fine or w/e, still got shafted heavily by the plot for a meandering nonsensical het romance lmao. Like the last we saw of him was her going like 'Thanks for the nice day!' and apparently he moved out of the prefecture while she hung out with his SISTER. I know some folks feel they called Hime being straight all this long but I genuinely don't see it, she clearly was still crushing on Akira even AFTER their whole 'yeah we're friends :)' stuff.

Like what could've been a nice story about a girl with mixed feelings on her own identity with a crush on her trans girl best friend eventually coming to terms with being GNC or whatnot and being In Love with said trans girl best friend ended up being a lot of very heavy handed messaging with every (as far as we can tell) LGBTQ character being nothing but sidelined for a poorly written, boring het romance.

I personally think that it's probably well meaning, but incredibly clumsy and even more so disappointing. Oh well, here's to some other manga or comic doing what I wish this one did.

joined Sep 13, 2018

I didn't even necessarily expect them to end up together. I would have been fine with that. This ending though came across as such a "f**k you" to everything it seemed to be trying to say.

Yeah, yeah fair lmao. The ending doesn't necessarily need to have them together with the premise, but god yeah, like... We watched her go through all that only for a real meh ending. Lesbian wedding is nice, I guess, but ehhh. Consolation prize of the year :/

joined Sep 13, 2018

I mean I guess I just expected a manga with like, a theme about identity and figuring out who you are About a girl with a clear crush on her trans best friend would go that Route... Not like, end up marrying the guy who I felt she had weird chemistry with, especially having a kid with him or w/e.

As many problems as i had with this manga, I had hoped it would have a decent ending. I should have known better.

Yeaaah same :/

last edited at Aug 18, 2020 2:36AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

Well that was a disappointing last few chapters :/

Samcaesar
joined Sep 13, 2018

What a wonderful end! This series has made me cry and tear up several times in its 16 chapter long story, which is a great accomplishment in my book. It even has a pretty notable timeskip for the last chapter, which I usually hate, but this felt really good. ;w; Big thanks to the translators for the wild ride and fantastic job!!! This is definitely in my top favorites for sure!!!