Forum › Posts by Ultraxion

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I'd personally have been interested in seeing more about how they became stepsisters and how their relationship is different when they're out of school.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I read through the localized manga, and I noticed a major difference between it and the fan translation on Page 12 of Chapter 13. For context, Shizuku's on the train and worrying about how her apology to Ruri will go.

In the fan translation, Shizuku thinks, "Back then, I basically just had my mom make a formal apology. I can't repeat that."
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_to_tsuzuru_utakata_ch13#11

In the localization, however, Shizuku thinks, "Back then, my parents had me apologize and promise never to do it again."

I'm curious as to which is correct, but I'm leaning toward the fan translation- you can see Mrs. Hoshikawa seems to be bowing but Shizuku appears to be standing up straight, implying that Shizuku couldn't apologize (most likely due to nerves after seeing the mother of the girl she bullied), or chose not to. It also fits with how Shizuku is determined to actually apologize this time.

I don’t know Japanese but since the official is done by Seven Seas, there's a higher chance the fan translation is more correct because it is not uncommon for the 7seas translation to be littered with mistakes or be a very, very loose translation that loses all nuance. There's several series I've read where the translation is flat out wrong and completely changes the meaning of the scene. Or sometimes you don't even need to have read the fan translation for comparison to see a speech bubble that completely doesn't make sense with the context.

That's certainly true, but I noticed a few things that were more accurate in the localization. For example, in Chapter 5 of the localization, Shizuku says she "bullied (her) friend" in the singular rather than plural in the fan translation, since Shizuku didn't bully anyone besides Ruri. At the start of Chapter 15, Seri says that she "heard (Shizuku) yell," rather than seeing Kaori collapse like she claimed to in the fan translation- the two only noticed because Ruri heard Shizuku calling Kaori's name (Seri's expression implies that she heard it, too, and that Ruri confirmed that Seri wasn't just imagining things).

last edited at Nov 21, 2023 7:06PM

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I read through the localized manga, and I noticed a major difference between it and the fan translation on Page 12 of Chapter 13. For context, Shizuku's on the train and worrying about how her apology to Ruri will go.

In the fan translation, Shizuku thinks, "Back then, I basically just had my mom make a formal apology. I can't repeat that."
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kimi_to_tsuzuru_utakata_ch13#11

In the localization, however, Shizuku thinks, "Back then, my parents had me apologize and promise never to do it again."

I'm curious as to which is correct, but I'm leaning toward the fan translation- you can see Mrs. Hoshikawa seems to be bowing but Shizuku appears to be standing up straight, implying that Shizuku couldn't apologize (most likely due to nerves after seeing the mother of the girl she bullied), or chose not to. It also fits with how Shizuku is determined to actually apologize this time.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm in the camp that doesn't mind the lack of physical intimacy. I've heard that love is fundamentally based in friendship, so seeing Kurumi and Ruriko grow closer, iron out some of the issues in their living arrangement and gradually fall in love was a natural development. Having a modified version of their rules as their vows is a good way to show how far they've come, and to show that the fundamental foundation of their relationship- their years-long friendship- was there all along.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I've read the manga over the last several days and enjoyed it.

Like others, I had a bad feeling when Kaori delayed responding to Shizuku's chapter.

Since there's been exactly five chapters per volume, I suspect that there will be at least one more volume, and the denouement will take at least a chapter or two.

One thing I'm a bit confused about with the new group of scanlators is the honorific usage, which seems a little inconsistent. For example, Ruri greets Shizuku with "Shizuku-chan" near the end of the chapter, but leaves off the "chan" in Chapter 27. Additionally, Shizuku seems to have dropped the "-san" from Ichihara's name despite having consistently used it until the new scanlators took over.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

This was rather depressing, but it does a relatively good job of showing rather than telling, such as the implication that the brunette still loves Nakamura. It might have been nice to have more information as to why they broke up- Nakamura implies that her career in manga didn't work out(if she attends a con again, "it won't be for a major publication"), but also rejects her ex's suggestion that she could have supported them if her ex had sold more copies, so their respective mangas may not have been a factor.

joined Mar 15, 2015

For manga they have to end on a chapter that rounds out a complete volume for example, if they go over, if they're allowed to go over, they need to go over for an entire extra volume, like what happened with Dorohedoro.

I have quite a few series on my bookshelf where the last volume is notably thicker than the others because the ending chapter(s) doesn't fit neatly into a normal volume, there's no way this is a given practice.

The opposite can also be true. For example, Wotakoi has larger than usual manga volumes, both in page size and thickness, and the sixth and final one is noticeably smaller than the others because there's less in it.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Did the translator decide not to use honorifics? It sounds as though Aya briefly decided to use "-san" on Erika due to her being older than her as a result of whatever happened, but the translator decided to use the rough English equivalent instead.

joined Mar 15, 2015

The end was rather rushed. I wonder if it got cancelled, or if it's just because it's one of those manga that stop being interesting as soon as the premise wears out. In this case, there's not much that the story can do with the "Akari being a tsundere" schtick once she and Hina actually get together.

Because of this, I tend to prefer stories that can actually keep going once the main couple actually becomes a couple, since not only do they actually show the payoff, but they tend not to revolve around one gimmick.

joined Mar 15, 2015

On the one hand, I understand that it's unrealistic to expect a clean resolution to the complex issue of the refugee problem and the Church and Babylon manipulating them for their own hands.

On the other hand, the ending felt rather abrupt, as if it got cancelled. I would have liked to have seen at least one more arc dealing with the actual revolution, and providing more of a conclusive ending for at least Benika and Rose.

As an edit, what happened to Hibai and Gina? Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't seen either since the explosion.

last edited at Aug 16, 2023 3:02PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

Our perfect assassin might be getting a little bit sloppy, letting herself be so easily identified like that.

There's one particular fantasy light novel with a Catholic-esque church that's lead by a lesbian communist vampire. I need more of that in my life.

Slime?

Slime.

Someone please title drop!!

I'm referencing Tensura ("That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime"), but unfortunately I can't recommend reading it on that basis. The gay vampire goddess is pretty far into the story, not the main focus at all, and barely gets screen time (...page time?). Which is lamentable. How do you come up with that concept and not write your entire novel series about it?!

I've vaguely heard of Slime, but not that part about the church, so it surprised me that it was a small part of a well-known series, rather than a central part of an obscure one.

At this point, I'm wondering whether Gina will eventually learn that the archbishop considers her expendable (he told her about the bug but not the bomb) and if so, how she'll react. It could potentially lead to her abandoning the church, but if so, what she'll do after that is anyone's guess.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm confused. Is chapter 75 the ending?

I doubt it, since there's a "To Be Continued..." and it seems like too abrupt of an ending. There seems to be room for at least one or two more chapters in the volume.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
16380925_p0

^^ Mercedes' hair is lighter and a bit poofier pre-timeskip, and Byleth's hair is darker before Chapter 10 and lighter after Chapter 10, so I didn't think either one of them resembled Byleth or Mercedes.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm not too surprised that there ended up being drama like this. It's almost a given that in order to become an actual married couple, Ruriko and Kurumi would have to overcome a marital crisis that would make the washer-dryer argument seem tame, one that would likely force them to consider whether to go their separate ways.

I'm not saying this is an ideal way of going about it, but it seems to be standard for the genre, and a possible indicator we're in the final act.

last edited at Jul 4, 2023 11:30PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

I noticed two mistakes

Page 13: "That's your strenght."- should be "strength."

Page 16: "When I first met eve-san" - Eve's name isn't capitalized.

All in all, the ending was rather rushed, ending as soon as Eve and Emielle's conflict was resolved. It's a shame that it got cancelled.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I was hoping that this would confirm that we'd get a second season, but without the sex scene. Not having the sex scene would be a price I'd be willing to pay if it meant the second season could get an adaptation.

Touko looks odd with greenish hair in the first two pages. The dialogue seems rather stilted, although it's hard to tell whether it's naturally this way or whether it's awkwardly translated.

I wonder why they did the panels in a 2x2 grid with numbers denoting the order rather than a standard 4koma format.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
Egakuning-1666284944929193985-img1

I'm also looking forward to Volume 8.

Out of curiosity, how many more will there be? The Amazon.com summary of Volume 8 states that "Sorawo and Toriko's bizarre tale of exploration and survival is coming to a climax!" but I didn't see anything like "Final Volume" in the summary.

joined Mar 15, 2015

god forbid women sign a lease >:(

It's interesting that they're bringing up same-sex couples (or at least two women) being discriminated against. In Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Miyu is looking forward to being able to move out and live with her girlfriend Matsuri in an apartment for college, under the pretext of it being safer for two women to live together. Miyu is the type to think things through and is disciplined and cautious to a fault, but she never considers having trouble getting an apartment with a female roommate.

Part of it is probably because of different expectations from everyone involved: getting an apartment at college age you're probably going for landlords who specifically rent out to college students, in which case two women living together is seen as a very safe bet comparatively. When you're out of college, I would guess you run into the same problem with landlords as many women do with employers: they expect you to find a guy and marry, and thus have a harder time, whether it's with getting a promotion (or a full-time position) or a long-term lease.

Good point. That explains a lot.

joined Mar 15, 2015

god forbid women sign a lease >:(

It's interesting that they're bringing up same-sex couples (or at least two women) being discriminated against. In Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Miyu is looking forward to being able to move out and live with her girlfriend Matsuri in an apartment for college, under the pretext of it being safer for two women to live together. Miyu is the type to think things through and is disciplined and cautious to a fault, but she never considers having trouble getting an apartment with a female roommate.

joined Mar 15, 2015

So a fan fav. model starts dating a guy, and her career is over?! What's the hell is wrong with super fans?! Is it that they are so delusional they actually believe the have a shot at dating her, and the appearance of a boyfriend sends reality crashing down on them, making them bitter.

Apparently, it's just like the idol singer industry, in which idols have to be "pure" and not have a boyfriend(among other strict rules), lest their image be ruined and they find themselves out of work. This part of the idol singer industry is rather infamous, and it apparently applies to other entertainers- for example, the climax of Bakuman is about Mashiro and Azuki's relationship coming to light when the former tries to cast the latter(a seiyuu) as the lead in his anime.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm personally looking forward to these two getting together, but suspect it will only truly happen after Hime and Mitsuki do, thus forcing Kanoko to come to terms with their relationship.

joined Mar 15, 2015

It was nice to see something cute and lighthearted.

By the way, it would be best not to mention details on recent chapters without spoiler tags, at least for chapters past Chapter 51 (the end of the most recently localized volume). Unlike with series that are still hosted on this site, not all of us have read the more recent chapters.

Fair enough, though hopefully I was vague enough not for it to cause issue

You were. I was making this warning just in case anyone decided to more openly discuss possible spoilers.

joined Mar 15, 2015

It was nice to see something cute and lighthearted.

By the way, it would be best not to mention details on recent chapters without spoiler tags, at least for chapters past Chapter 51 (the end of the most recently localized volume). Unlike with series that are still hosted on this site, not all of us have read the more recent chapters.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I recently bought the Kindle editions of the first and seventh volumes on Amazon for $2 each. I'm not sure if it's a limited time sale, but it's an amazing deal.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I knew it would end soon once they got together :( Still, its been a great ride- and its a lot better than them never getting together or having a proper ending because the author tried to spin it out forever.

I agree, but I always find it a bit disappointing how soon a series ends after the couple gets together. Actually having time to see what they're like as a couple is always nice.