Forum › Posts by MegaWallflower

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/happy_sugar_life_ch23#14

I didn't notice the first time around, but it's really interesting that Shouko's face isn't once scribble on. It's always covered by another picture of just out of frame entirely. Satou must have had pretty complex feelings about Shouko if she was the one aspect of outside life she couldn't freely mark off.

I mean. She has now but still.

MegaWallflower
Comic Girls discussion 30 Jun 19:25
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Are Koyume and Tsubasa really going to get to go on a "date"? I hope so, that'll be adorable and hilarious.

MegaWallflower
Yuru Yuri discussion 10 Jun 21:06
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I think I just fell in love with Sakurako

Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Yuri continues to win.

MegaWallflower
Yuru Yuri discussion 31 May 23:32
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

After this chapter, it's finally clear to me. The best pair is Akari x Everyone

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I would if Himawari x Sakurako wasn't the (arguably) second most canon relationship in this whole mess (I think the first one is the president x mad scientist).

The president has some competition now in the form of the art teacher, so I don't know if I would give that the first rank.

MegaWallflower
Yuru Yuri discussion 28 May 19:40
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Chinatsu/Kyouko moments are always so fun

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I was worried it wouldn't lead to a real relationship at the start, but now that we're seeing these happy side couples, especially the teach, I think it'll work past being subtext eventually.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

This dark comedy sure sparked a lot of discussion.

"systemized bullying"? Lol wtf is that. You hardly see bullying in the adult world, it's a teenage phase because emotions are high. All emotions, and by being a pathetic turd who doesn't try to stop it you become an easy target for people with high emotions. "everything she did to them they did to her" really now? Cause I don't see her missing an eye, I don't see those girls blackmailing her with photos or her with sores in her mouth. All we say was light bullying and pranks. And society didn't fail you, you failed yourself. Stop looking for hand outs and stand up you pussy!

When I think of systemized bullying, I think of the kind that you know the reason you're being picked on and you know that telling on them wouldn't help. Sometimes you know that the staff is aware and you know that if you go to them, they will actively make it worse. Even for little things they could make it worse. My sister was bullied to the point of crying, and then she was going to be suspended for crying. On the other hand, a gay boy at my school had rocks thrown at him, and no one left the school except him.

We don't even know why they regularly pick on victims to manipulate and try to push over the edge, but since the three of them called Icchan out into a closed room, I assume it wasn't just to have a talk. Since the story establishes that everyone around the main character knew and nothing they were doing is subtle, I don't know what "civilized" method would stop it. They held her down and cut her hair off when she tried to stand up to them before. You can't call the type of fearmongering, manipulation, and blackmail they were doing to her light bullying.

Besides, like Icchan said, she didn't kill them, and they learned their lesson. Happy ending for everyone :D

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I disagree that you need to refuse to retaliate in any way to maintain a "moral high ground" over bullies, especially when it's already established that everyone else is very aware it's happening and it's as extreme and constant as what they were already doing to her (bullies really love it when you make it clear you aren't going to put up a fight, anyway, otherwise they'd pick an easier target). That said, it's framed so we know that Icchan's specific form of retaliation was very out of her rocker a la Happy Sugar Life. The part where her friend is okay with Icchan's extremely violent retaliation was a twist on top of the twist of Icchan being a yandere, after all.

I liked the story more than I should have I think, but it was an odd sort of sweet. Heartwarming, in a way.

last edited at May 27, 2018 10:41PM

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I love when crossover moments happen in Namori's stories (does it count as a crossover if they're all in the same canon anyway?)

last edited at May 27, 2018 10:24AM

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

...what happened to this thread

ahem

Looking back, what I love most is how they got together. I can't stop thinking about it. We're both in the same club, we get along pretty well, and it's honestly somewhat difficult to find other girls who love girls, so why not try it out? (so, so relatable...) They were both trying so hard to turn that convenience and good will into genuine love, but sometimes pieces just don't fit together. It made me hope they could work, but I like that they seem to be able to root for the others' new relationship well. I found the ending oddly heartwarming for a breakup story.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I enjoyed the characters and I liked the way they had an amicable breakup. Even the way they got together feels realistic (or should I say relatable?)

MegaWallflower
Kanamemo discussion 23 May 11:46
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Ah, Kanamemo! What a blast from the blast, I loved this series. And it's being picked up! I hope there's lots more Kana/Mika to come!

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I love when all four of these ships are together

MegaWallflower
Yuru Yuri discussion 10 May 15:58
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

There needs to be some sort of guide listing which chapters cater to which pairs, like there is for A Kiss and a White Lily

Anyway, love me some kyoyui~

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I love the side couples more than the main couple too. I forgot there was a main couple for a little bit, haha. Like a purer Virgins' Empire.

This meet-date-breakup chapter is so sad though... ;-;

last edited at May 10, 2018 2:44AM

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

SushiKnight posted:

Wow, was Junji Ito a guest artist for this chapter? What an honor!

edit: Now that I think about it, the art in this manga sort of makes me think of "What would a moe yuri manga look like if it was drawn by Junji Ito?" I don't mean that as "drawn by Junji Ito in the same style as his own work," because it's obviously nothing like that. But let's say he's being held at gunpoint, being told he'll be allowed to live as long as he draws something cute enough. That's the kind of feeling I get, particularly from the linework.

Now I really want to see what a yuri manga written by him would turn out like.

I want Tomie x Tomie

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I think we'd better steer clear of this whole mess, to be honest. It will only end in tears.

So, back to the yuri.

The yuri's going to end in tears too :'c

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I'm proofreading this and I just wanted to spoil that Mikage almost devours Hinata next chapter

Oh wow, you were being literal.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I thought Shouko-Chan was in love with sato , so why did she kiss Asahi? Or am I just interpreting it wrongly since I view it from a romantic side? I’m just confused .-.

I thought it was a confession of love too when she told Shio that she loved her. I guess I was off there :c Pity, but Shouko/Shio still seemed like a good pairi at the time.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Sending that picture turned out to be the smart decision too, since she ended up getting fucking murdered by Satou. If she hadn't sent that picture, Asahi would never have found out who Shio was with or even that she was alive.

Oh definitely. As sympathetic as I am towards Satou in this crazy, dangerous world, Asahi's been left on a wild goose chase for a while now, him finding Shio's location has been teased for a while so it's good that he has a tangible, actual lead now. He's been pretty fruitless on his own.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

In fact, we could have some fun with this, come up with some Shouko-survival theories, play around with it!

Here's how Shouko/Sato can still win!

So it turns out that Shouko also has the tenacity of a yandere and she's impervious to all fatal wounds as long as she has the power of love in her heart. And she even came back to talk to the aunt before she went up there (presumably auntie told her where to go?) so she technically passed the test now.

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 6:07PM

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

This might be important to understanding Satou's psyche. Back when Satou brought Shouko to her aunt, I think she was of two minds. On the one hand, she saw it as a convenient way of getting a potential obstacle (Shouko) to leave her alone and stop asking questions. She knew she could either scare Shouko away or use reaction as a way to guilt her into withdrawing.
But I think also that part of her genuinely hoped that Shouko wouldn't withdraw, and would remain her friend, unlike all of the other people who had rejected her in the past. So even though Satou set up Shouko and manipulated her, she probably was also genuinely hurt at the perceived betrayal, no matter how unreasonable that is.
I do wonder, if Shouko had passed Satou's "test" earlier, would she have hesitated about killing her here?

For Satou, this is business as usual. While she did cross a line in a way for some readers, in her own head she simply got rid of another threat to her happiness.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/happy_sugar_life_ch22#19

It marks something special for Satou too, but not in that in crosses a line.

Shouko seemed to occupy a very odd grey area, while everyone else that messed with Satou earlier was explicitly filth. Satou probably considered the way she got her friend to leave her alone merciful compared to how she dealth with others, and even after that, she didn't have a specific way to label her and the face she recalled was that of sadness. Satou didn't hate her, and that was "taken advantage of" in her eyes now. And she'll know that Mitsuboshi wasn't convincing enough once she sees Asashi return, too. After these events, she's lost any grey area she had on the outside world and its people, now she knows she can't hesitate anymore.

And she dirted her hands and brought this person who turned out to be filth inside her little guilded cage, her castle, while Shio was in the next room and very able to hear the sound of what was going on. I guess we have to see if that's something that "belies her love" or not.

I agree with everything you've said, but it's worth taking a half-step back and reflecting on how we're like, "I was fine with all those other murders, but this one was just too much."
In fact, to demonstrate what this one does to my own moral compass, I was kinda hoping she'd get around to Yandere-kun sooner rather than later . . .

....True. But the world feels like a place where literally everyone is crazy and kindness and morality has yet to be properly rewarded in the story, so I can't help but feel like Satou's way is justified if only because it works. Also because that's where the yuri is.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Welp, there goes my favorite ship. The one person who genuinely loved Satou and wanted to help her and be there for her with no creepiness...

This is a really interesting turning point. That's definitely the first of Satou's murders/methods that the sympathetic audience has no real way of justifying (Like the apartment owner attempting to kill Shio, the teacher being a dangerous stalker, the delinquients beating up Mitsuboshi, the coworker also being a dangerous stalker). And Satou still thinks she can justify it to herself because her friend freaked out when she saw her aunt. Or maybe she's just saying that, we know she'd have to kill her either way.

Oh, and her brother finally knows who has Shion now. The final showdown's getting closer!