Forum › Posts by Cryssoberyl

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Citrus discussion 08 Jun 17:13
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

How come? Things are progressing well. Yuzu's earnest feelings will melt Mei's frosty armor in the end. As for the other girl, I foresee no great difficulty.

because they blatantly stole the script from yp with no permission

Ah, I see now. I assumed it was just an early draft of YP's release, and admittedly I didn't look too close because I was rushing through to see what happened. Certainly a dick move, but what with the public nature of YP, I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I always said Citrus is an idiot magnet. You'd think it would be obvious that getting something a week earlier isn't really worth demotivating the people you get your free entertainment from in the first place. At least I'm not very motivated to put down money next month for the tankoubon after that stunt.

That's a shame, but very understandable. Remember though that the real fans are still waiting and hoping for you to carry on. We're all grateful for the work that you do. Hang in there!

last edited at Jun 8, 2013 5:41PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Citrus discussion 08 Jun 10:18
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

How come? Things are progressing well. Yuzu's earnest feelings will melt Mei's frosty armor in the end. As for the other girl, I foresee no great difficulty.

last edited at Jun 8, 2013 10:19AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Swimsuit discussion 08 Jun 06:55
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Simoun and Aria, though very different, are two of the best anime ever, in my opinion. If slice of life is what you're after, there's nothing else that has the magic of Aria. Simoun, on the other hand, is an amazing and tragic story, beautifully told. As I say, it's not really what I'd call "sci-fi", but it is absolutely worth seeing no matter what.

Anyway, I assume you meant "anime adapted from manga", although I don't really understand why you'd think that would make them bad, as that's actually the usual way anime gets made, and there are many excellent examples. In any case though, Mouretsu Pirates is actually started as a series of light novels, not manga.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Swimsuit discussion 08 Jun 05:47
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

To be honest, and maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't really classify any of those (Mai-hime, Simoun, KnM) as real "sci-fi" - even though there are mechanical elements, they're really just stand-ins for magic or mythology. They're more of what I'd call "fantasy".

A really hard science fiction yuri anime? Geez, let me think...Mouretsu Pirates might count. Not really "hard" SF, but there are no supernatural elements at least. Kiddy Grade's a borderline case, still kind of "magic superpowers", but a good show, certainly. Blue Drop is definitely a good, if sad, example.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Kase-san discussion 07 Jun 21:35
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

If I hear "we're both girls" ONE MORE TIME...

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Adrift discussion 04 Jun 20:43
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Somebody finally translated this, huh? Not that there was much to translate, but it's been hanging around for years and years. Surprised by the dialogue, though, as well as the attribution. I always harbored a suspicion that Kaoru Mori was responsible for this.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Lillicious themselves put the NSFW template, so I'm suggesting to add the tag.

Done.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

in my opinion there is literally nothing in this manga that Utena doesn't do a million times better, plus Utena is pretty solidly about getting the fuck out of abusive relationships/situations. It's so strange to me that the author of this manga obviously loved Utena enough to try and write exactly the same manga but also misread it seriously enough to turn it into abuse apologia.

While I agree that that was one of the ultimate messages of Utena, I think taking some mistaken notions about "mutual responsibility" away from it might be an easier trap to fall into than you make out. In Utena, the relationship between Anthy and Akio WAS mutually antagonistic. As utterly devoid of humanity as Akio was, Anthy intentionally provoked and tormented him in return.

Unlike the situation in Shitsurakuen, it actually was a mutually abusive relationship, although the degree and extent to which either one was ultimately "responsible" is one of the many questions of grey-and-grey morality that Utena poses. Anthy and Utena are also cruel to each other at times, though in very different ways.

I can easily imagine someone who sees females and males as only slightly less than completely different species (which is unfortunately a dominant cultural view on gender in Japan) dreaming up Shitsurakuen in a distorted reflection of the issues Utena raises. Of course, even if this is true, it neither explains nor excuses the hideous wrong conclusions the author apparently came to.

In any case, I'd better stop here. Utena is a subject about which I can go on and on.

last edited at Jun 2, 2013 8:05PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

This is one of my all-time favorites. Sakamoto Mano is masterful at facial expressions, and this story contains many expressive and beautiful ones, but the one that always sticks with me is Miki's expression on the bottom left of page 19. That steady, silent look of mingled trepidation and desire...anxiety but also a deeply yearning invitation. I love it.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Chu! discussion 02 Jun 14:33
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Really? I thought it was fine for the most part. Despite the "we're practicing for boys" opening premise, that quickly turns into a confession and a genuine relationship. Similarly, the "I wish I were a boy/had a penis" line is always unfortunate whenever it appears - as it too often does - but at least in this case it was brushed off immediately by the other girl. Worse would've been the story dwelling on the idea, or worst of all, actually having imagery of a girl's penetrating finger metaphorically "becoming" a penis in the artwork. I've had the misfortune to see that a few times.

last edited at Jun 2, 2013 2:36PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Form A discussion 02 Jun 14:15
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

As said in the Toffee Pattern discussion, these are older Mikuni works, released in 2005.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

You'll notice the release date is 2005, so yes. These are older Mikuni works, and as you say, the difference in production values and artistic technique shows compared to their more recent works.

last edited at Jun 2, 2013 2:06PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

It's all equally repugnant, of course, but the backstory might've been bearable if it had shown the abusers to have been clearly in the wrong, and punished them appropriately - though I honestly don't know what punishment could've been bad enough, aside from death. But it instead tries to excuse their actions, and even has the audacity to suggest that they, the abusers, were "suffering" too.

Oh well. To the extent that I have to even think of this manga at all, which I try not to do, I just imagine a Sora harem end, as it should've been.

last edited at May 31, 2013 7:37PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

To me there was nothing supernatural about the ending. Some families do move from place to place frequently, and children of families like that are often introverted, seeing no use in forming attachments, just like Yoshizaki in the story.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Quite so. I'll change the tag. Also add "comedy", since that's mainly what this is.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

The art is ugly and the initial sexual consent is, to say the least, extremely dubious, but I've still always liked this one...

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I suggest removing the Het tag. Up to the staff of course.

Sorry about that, I wasn't sure if it was supposed to function as a warning (like on fanfic) or a general descriptor.

I know that chapter 4 of BA was tagged "Het" by someone other than me for the principal's groping, but I haven't contested it. As a warning of potentially objectionable content, I think it's appropriate, even though it's not an accurate indicator of the work as a whole. (Then again, since it's only a single chapter of a larger work, that probably comes across better than it would with a one-shot.)

last edited at May 22, 2013 5:13PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

It makes sense as a symbolic gesture of cleansing herself from that past. It was a good story, like all Amano Shuninta works, but the "romance" happened rather abruptly...

Cryssoberyl Uploader
UNDER HAIR discussion 22 May 11:59
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Well, I found it entertaining, for the most part. It certainly makes for an amusingly irreverent, smutty contrast to the soulful vanilla sex of most NanoFate doujins, while still managing to maintain the cuteness of their relationship. I consider hair- and scent-fetishism to be "nastily wholesome" or perhaps "wholesomely nasty" - quite tame and ultimately harmless, really.

No diapers please though, and I could've done without the last line on page 34.

last edited at May 22, 2013 12:06PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Definitely Kurogane Kenn's best work, in my opinion.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Nijipuri discussion 20 May 00:54
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Also the first time i've seen a slap like that in a yuri manga when the receiving part really deserved it.

She really did. Reika actually behaves quite selfishly throughout the manga, and for that and other reasons (such as the deliberately frustrating non-ending), for me Nijipuri was ultimately painfully unfulfilling. (I also hate that she cut her incredible hair, but that's a separate issue.)

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Thanks for saying so. That means a lot. If you liked this, I'd also recommend the other one-shot that we've done, Oniyuri-san and Himeyuri-san.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/oniyuri_san_and_himeyuri_san

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

This was the very first bit of scanlation we ever did. Needless to say, I have a special fondness for it. (That's also why it's fairly rough. Sorry for that.) It's really nothing much, but it is cute for what it is.

last edited at May 19, 2013 8:15AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
My Steady discussion 14 May 00:27
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

But this was okay cuz they look the same age anyway!! Like most age gap yuri!

LMFAO!!!!! Oh god.
Also...We must strap you to a chair and feed you age gap yuri. What you said is blasphemous!

I recommend we start with Pure Water Adolescence. Break their spirit early.

And then police come

There are yuri police?

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/school_police

There are, and its clearly a needed organization. I don't see how it's possible to not like age gap yuri...such deviance is definitely a danger to society. Taiho shichau zo.

last edited at May 14, 2013 12:31AM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I agree. The TV series really does ratchet up Akari's lack of self-confidence to a painful degree, mainly to fill time I suspect. She was much less mopey in the OVA; with only six episodes, there was no time to spend on that. I've often felt that one of the real strengths of the (now sadly extinct) six-ep OVA format was that there wasn't much time to waste on anything but keeping the plot focused and moving forward. No spare rope for the writers to hang themselves with, so to speak.

In this, as in most other areas, the manga seems to be balanced between the two. She does have moments of self-doubt, but they tend to be reasonable in proportion and fairly quickly overcome.

last edited at May 11, 2013 4:09AM